3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Age 50+ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50-217/)
-   -   ~September Golden Girls~ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50/180922-%7Eseptember-golden-girls%7E.html)

ladyinweighting 09-16-2009 08:38 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

Anyone watch Biggest Loser last night? I was SO HAPPY to see Dan back. He is so young. I REALLY hope that he can get off more weight this season.

Lynn

the slim me 09-16-2009 09:13 AM

Good Morning,

Isabella, So sorry to hear about your friend.

I am doing great with my diet. It takes me many false starts to get a "real" start. So, for all the people that have problems, remember that practice makes perfect! I got on the scale today and actually saw a drop. I knew I was losing because I put on a skirt that was too tight a couple of weeks ago and it was too big! I love using clothes as a measure instead of the scale.

Looks like another beautiful fall day. Seems like it's way too early to be fall, but it's here. Just wish I could prolong these lovely days a little longer.

Lynn, I watched parts of Biggest Looser last night. Last years Biggest looser lives here in my area. Amazing to see what diet and exercise can really do. I saw Allie, another former biggest loser on QVC this morning selling products, like this amazing steamer. She looked really good too. Does everyone use a steamer? I think they are the greatest things.

Freda

Bobbolink 09-16-2009 09:56 AM

I'm a fan of the show too. I was disappointed about the gal with the nose ring that was kicked off. She worked so much harder that her partner. For a big guy, he should have lost a lot more than her.

Quote:

Anyone watch Biggest Loser last night? I was SO HAPPY to see Dan back. He is so young. I REALLY hope that he can get off more weight this season.
Freda...I have a steamer, just used it a couple of days ago to get wrinkles out of a pink wool skirt. Works great on wool, I also tried to steam a linen blazer I wore to the funeral on monday. Didn't work so hot on that, had to plug in the iron.
Quote:

Does everyone use a steamer? I think they are the greatest things.

ladyinweighting 09-16-2009 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the slim me (Post 2927940)
Good Morning,

Isabella, So sorry to hear about your friend.

I am doing great with my diet. It takes me many false starts to get a "real" start. So, for all the people that have problems, remember that practice makes perfect! I got on the scale today and actually saw a drop. I knew I was losing because I put on a skirt that was too tight a couple of weeks ago and it was too big! I love using clothes as a measure instead of the scale.

Looks like another beautiful fall day. Seems like it's way too early to be fall, but it's here. Just wish I could prolong these lovely days a little longer.

Lynn, I watched parts of Biggest Looser last night. Last years Biggest looser lives here in my area. Amazing to see what diet and exercise can really do. I saw Allie, another former biggest loser on QVC this morning selling products, like this amazing steamer. She looked really good too. Does everyone use a steamer? I think they are the greatest things.

Freda

Hi Freda,

I have a little metal collapsible thing that goes into a pot. Is this what you mean? I steam my veggies with that - just put an inch or two of water in the pot & bring to a boil. Stick the metal thing in the boiling water, put the veggies in the metal thing, cover & steam.

Lynn

retiredone 09-16-2009 04:51 PM

I was all hyped up to watch The Biggest Loser last night but fell asleep before it was all over. I did wake up to see the last minute or so. I was so rotted but I was really tired and sleepy as I had been up at 6:30 am and the show wasn't over until 11:30 pm where I live.

Thank you all for your kind condolences about my dear friend. Today her husband came to my house and gave me a brand new juicer that she asked him to give me. She had never used it and she wanted me to have it because she knew I would use it. I was so touched that she would think of me on her dying bed. I'll always remember her. The family has asked me to sing at the funeral and read the messages of sympathy on Friday.

I've been doing well this week and have been on plan for both food and exercise. I was up early this morning and went for my walk, then I came home and made bread and a couple of blueberry cakes for DH. I cut the cake up and froze most of it. I left a few pieces out for DH and will take a few more out of the freezer as needed. I could eat the whole cake if left to my own desires. But I won't have any until the weekend when I've allowed for a dessert.

ladyinweighting 09-17-2009 08:09 AM

Hi Everyone,

I have a challenge coming up this evening. Going out to dinner with my DD and SIL. Need to eat light today so that I won't go over my goal calories for the day.

Having some health issues that I was NOT telling my DD about. Told her last night & felt a LOT better after talking with her. I just hope that she won't worry too much. How does everyone handle telling your children about your health issues?

Lynn

the slim me 09-17-2009 08:59 AM

Good Morning everyone,

It was a beautiful day yesterday, the kind that makes you want to get out and take a walk. I will be so happy when my foot is healed and I can actually get out again. Soon, hopefully.

The steamer i was talking about is the cooker steamer. My DIl got me a tupperware one that you use in the microwave. Awsome! I didn't think I would use it at the time, but I find myself using it so often. makes such a diffrence in the taste, and neutrition of things.

Lynn, Those dinners out are always a challenge. And it gets tiresome eating salads all the time. But if you know the restaurant you're going to, you can go online and decide what you can eat before hand, that won't totally wreck your diet. As to telling my son about healthy problems, I share what is important. I wouldn't want to have something really bad wrong and not let them know. At the same time, it's not necessary to tell them everything. Why worry them when it won't make a difference? Interested to see how everyone else handles this problem.

have a good day,

Freda

Bobbolink 09-17-2009 11:01 AM

Good Morning Girls!
Another beautiful day here except for no rain. We're about to set a new record with no rain. My garden is drooping.
Freda.....boy, was I out in left field on the steamer conversation, I wasn't even thinking of food. I thought you were talking about a clothes steamer. I have the same kind of metal steamer that lynn has and I do use it often. I've not heard of a microwave steamer, does that work better than just adding a couple tablespoon water to raw veggies in a bowl? Let me know, maybe I'll buy one.

I purchased a new gadget for taking the skins & seed out of garden fruits and vegetables. Yesterday I cooked up many tomatoes, ran them thru the gadget and froze 9 packages of 24oz. tomato juice/puree. I used to freeze the tomatoes whole but found they take up too much room in the freezer that way. ( DH still wanted me to freeze some whole so I froze two large bags to appease him.)
My diet is going fantastic, not hungy at all. But then I never am when I have so much fiber in my food plan. I better run over to challenge site and sign in. Weight is dropping fast!
Lynn...I only tell DH about my aches and pains, never daughter. She rush me to the doc's immediately.
Quote:

How does everyone handle telling your children about your health issues?

retiredone 09-17-2009 11:44 PM

Hi :wave: It's been a too busy day for me. I had a recipe demonstration tonight and I was trying to get dinner ready for DH and get a few things done for my friend's family. Another busy day tomorrow. I'm singing at the funeral and I'm in charge of the meal following the funeral. And to top it all off, I'm the church bulletin secretary and I have to do the bulletin for the funeral. I don't know my song well enough yet and that's what's really worrying me the most. But I'll work on that tomorrow when DH is not sleeping. He's in bed now and I don't think he'd appreciate my howlings at this time of the night. It's not a new song but I haven't sung it lately so I have to get it all together by tomorrow afternoon.

I made a delicious Quinoa salad tonight. I found it online but can't remember where. If you've never tasted quinoa this is a good introduction to it. It cooks up rather fast at a ratio of 1 part quinoa to 2 parts water. Cook for 15 minutes until water is absorbed and grain is soft.

Quinoa and Black Bean Salad
1 cup quinoa, cooked in 2 cups water
1 cup cooked black beans, rinsed if canned (I used the whole can.)
4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon sea salt
⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup cooked corn kernels, thawed if frozen
1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
1 large ripe tomato, diced
1 avocado, pitted, peeled and diced
¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves

Transfer quinoa to a large bowl and cool. Add beans, corn, jalapeños, and cilantro. (I didn't use the cilantro as I don't like it.)

Whisk together the lime juice and salt. Slowly beat in the oil. Pour over the quinoa mixture and toss well. The salad can be made up to one day in advance to this point.

When ready to serve, gently toss with the tomato, avocado. Taste and adjust the seasoning and serve.

Serves 4 as a main course, or 8 as a side dish

This actually makes quite a large salad so the servings could serve 10 as a side. I didn't use the whole jalapeno pepper because we don't like it hot. Sorry I don't have the nutritional values.

the slim me 09-18-2009 08:36 AM

Good Morning all,

This challenge is working great. I have already lost weight, and I am getting control of my evening eating. Maybe I should have made that my 3rd. goal. I'll make it my 4th, for myself. It's a real problem and I have stopped at 8 each night.

Isabella, I've never tried quiona and have always wanted to. I know it's really healthy and full of fiber. Sounds like a good recipe and full of healthy stuff. I don't like avacoda or cilantro but I can just leave those out. I'll add extra pepper becaues I like things extra spicy! Thanks. I know you are honored to sing at the funeral and will be great.

Bobbi, I'm not sure if the microwave steamer works bettter than just water placed in a bowl, since i've never tried that. I just know I love the way it cooks food. I had one of the little metal things that you put in the pan for the top of the stove too, used it for years. This is just easier. They are rather expensive too, but my DIL had gotten it for me for a gift. I really thought I would never use it, but once I started, I find that I use it almost every day. Great for corn on the cob!

OK, Lynn, where are you? We want to hear how you did at the dinner out.

Freda

ladyinweighting 09-18-2009 08:36 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

Last night's dinner out with my DD & SIL went pretty well, but I still went over my budgeted calories for the day. I stayed away from bread/pasta/potatoes/rice/sweets, but ate fried/salty stuff. Ordered fried eggplant with marinara sauce as an appetizer, ordered salad with chicken (chicken turned out to be breaded/fried). Only gained .5 lb this morning, pretty sure I would lose that by tomorrow BUT - eating lunch out this afternoon and going to a bridal shower tomorrow!!!!!YIKES!

LOL - when I quit smoking, I used to dream that I had smoked. Last night I dreamed I was eating CAKES - 3 of them with LOTS of icing!!!!

Lynn

ladyinweighting 09-18-2009 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the slim me (Post 2930864)
Good Morning all,

This challenge is working great. I have already lost weight, and I am getting control of my evening eating. Maybe I should have made that my 3rd. goal. I'll make it my 4th, for myself. It's a real problem and I have stopped at 8 each night.

Isabella, I've never tried quiona and have always wanted to. I know it's really healthy and full of fiber. Sounds like a good recipe and full of healthy stuff. I don't like avacoda or cilantro but I can just leave those out. I'll add extra pepper becaues I like things extra spicy! Thanks. I know you are honored to sing at the funeral and will be great.

Bobbi, I'm not sure if the microwave steamer works bettter than just water placed in a bowl, since i've never tried that. I just know I love the way it cooks food. I had one of the little metal things that you put in the pan for the top of the stove too, used it for years. This is just easier. They are rather expensive too, but my DIL had gotten it for me for a gift. I really thought I would never use it, but once I started, I find that I use it almost every day. Great for corn on the cob!

OK, Lynn, where are you? We want to hear how you did at the dinner out.

Freda

Hi Freda,

I'm going to look for one of those microwave steamers. Would always rather do the microwave than stove & pot.

Lynn

Bobbolink 09-18-2009 09:02 AM

Good Morning Girls!
Gosh, I slept 9.5 hours last night and 10 hours the night before. That's a record for me, I'm a 7 hours or less person. All the preserving of garden tomatoes, zucchini and making applesauce must be wearing me out.
Isabella.....it seems like you always have a full agenda. You sound like the person everyone zooms in on and says, "Get Isabella, she'll do it!". Good luck on your song, my daughter sings at weddings and funerals and I always say a prayer for her just before she sings, while she sings, and after. I'll say one for you.
Lynn...Bruce and I used to drink lots of red wine at supper time, we both quit 16 months ago. It was not only getting addictive but my weight was always up. We're both "all or none" type people so we just quit. Your dreaming of eating cake is quite natural, I used to dream of drinking red wine. Just think, we get to eat and drink all we want with no calories or weight gain in our dreams. :rofl:
Quote:

LOL - when I quit smoking, I used to dream that I had smoked. Last night I dreamed I was eating CAKES - 3 of them with LOTS of icing!!!!

Freda...I'm going to check out your steamers today, I use the microwave daily. Right now I'm eating a large zucchini at lunch time with Veggie parmesan cheese, that always goes into the microwave. I've never seen them before.
Isabella...yum. Bruce and I both hated cilantro but this summer finally came around to it. We both love mexican food and they use so much of it. I always thought it tasted like soap suds and it was a learned taste getting used to it. I'm going to try your salad but we'll have to make it a vegetarian night because of the high calorie count of the beans and corn. Oh, I have to buy some quinola too.
You all have a great day, today we break the record set for no rain. Last rain we had was August 31st and that was only 1/10 of an inch.
Poor dry garden and lawn. All the corn fields around us are all dried out too.

glynne 09-18-2009 01:12 PM

Hello all,

I have one of those microwave steamers. I got mine in the grocery store in the area where they have kitchen stuff. I don't think it was very expensive. It was made by Anchor-Hocking. I like it ~ use it often. They came in a small, medium and large size.

Hope you all are doing well.

Take care

Bobbolink 09-19-2009 03:41 PM

Happy Saturday!
I just listed a couple vintage train sets for my brother on ebay and couldn't help myself from checking out the Vegetable Steamers. Geeeeezz, what an impulsive person I am, I found a new one with free shipping and two tier for $11.95. It's on it's way.