Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 07:15 AM   #1  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Default Active Folks Over 50 -- #24

Hey!

-------------
Active Folks Over 50 is a place to talk about fitness and healthy eating information as it relates to weight loss and/or maintenance--and also about any work, fun, hobby, or volunteer activites you're engaged in. In other words, the active part of your life!

Just a few guidelines for this thread:

- Raves about grandkids or ranting about your kids is out of bounds.

- Lengthy discussion of your illnesses, conditions, treatments, and medical procedures in general is also out of bounds on this thread. So is whining about old age!

- Positive stories of vacations taken, volunteer work, or achievements at work or elsewhere are highly encouraged! As are recommendations for books, movies, discussions of weight related issues, etc.

Join in!
----------------------

OK, it's May! And this thread has been running for around two years. In the last couple of weeks, it's been slowing down... So, if it looks like interest has waned, this will be the last month that I start a new one. Of course, others may want to keep it going.

I just want to say--"swine flu" has gotten blown way, way out of proportion. It is really just like any other flu that comes through. We do the same things for it as any other flu. And in case people don't know, we should always be washing our hands, staying home from work or school when sick, etc. I am so fed up with the media frenzy about this. It's causing panic and unnecessary fear! People die of the flu every year, whether they have had the flu shot or not, and so far there is no indication that this flu is any more severe than usual. Honestly. It's simply a distraction so the news media can show us advertising messages. Makes me

I'm glad it's Friday! I may actually get a weekend where I can do something other than my usual work.

What do other folks have planned?

Jay
Old 05-01-2009, 08:40 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Happy May Day One and All

Good morning JayEll - The comics this morning reminded me that May Day once meant seeeing the parades of Soviet Missles driving thrrough Red Square as we shuddered.

But today it means that my new Sole E25 Elliptical will be delivered. With a good machine in my house it's gonna be hard to ignore that cardio work could be done right now!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-01-2009, 10:28 AM   #3  

S/C/G: S 299/C 247/G 140

Height: 5'6"

Default Don't Go

Hi,
thanks for setting this list up for another month. I would hate to see this thread end, a great group of people and all. Maybe the thread has been quiet because it is spring and they are out in their gardens. I wish I were out in the garden! But instead I am gearing up for finals in about 10 days and finishing off the last of my assignments. It is hard to believe that another school year is behind me. I will be taking a couple classes this summer but at least I get a little break to be in the garden till then.

I am doing well on my eating program. This week I have allowed myself 1600 cal. and I seldom meet it. I have been walking an hour a day. I am feeling pretty good. I need to add a weight resistance program next. I also need more hours in the day.

Did you ask about the garden? I thought so.
It is doing well. I finally have red potatoes up, I still need to plant 50 lbs of white potatoes. Peas are up. The onion plants look good, even though I had to chase the guineas out of them a couple times. We have many plants waiting in the greenhouse to be planted but it keeps raining all the time.

Have a great day. And do not worry about me, slaving over the books!
Candy
Old 05-01-2009, 10:33 AM   #4  

S/C/G: S 299/C 247/G 140

Height: 5'6"

Hey BillBlueEyes,

I have been thinking about joining your Beck Thread. I have been reading the book and just got the workbook. As soon as I get it read, if you have space for another person, then I will come by.

Have fun with your new machine. It looks like it will give you a good workout. It is nice to have a way to workout inside when the weather is crummy. We have a couple machines here too. We live in the country, on rock/dirt roads, so the weather really will put a stop to an outdoor workout.

Have a great day.
Candy
Old 05-01-2009, 05:38 PM   #5  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Hi all - happy to see everyone finding the new thread! April flew by didn't it?

Jay - I agree with you regarding the swine flu. Seems like the media needs some type of disaster to hype - and they will create one if there is a real one. I'm glad I don't watch TV. DH has had some additonal "drills" at work because of the level 5 coding, but otherwise, no one around here is paying any attention.

Bill - new equipment enjoy!

Candy - hopefully this month will improve. Last week was pretty quiet - Jay and I were talking to ourselves for a couple days.

I'm glad it is Friday! What a week. Anyone have anything fun planned for the weekend? I'm hanging out doing Saturday chores - not much fun involved.

Laurie
Old 05-01-2009, 05:44 PM   #6  
Day at a Time

S/C/G: 242/222/140

Height: 5'2"

Hi Jay and Bill and Candy. Great to see another school year behind you Candy. That must feel good.
I will be doing yard work this weekend. Want to powerwash the patio and driveway as well as the fence. The paint is peeling off the fence and thought the power wash may get it off. Any thoughts on that anyone? I will have to leave it a while to dry. It is supposed to rain all next week anyway.
My hand is way better. Not a great idea to power wash I suppose but I am the only one doing it so want to get on with it. Get the patio furniture out etc.
Looks like my weekend will be all about yard work. Big plant sale at one of the churches next weekend.
Cleaned house instead of the gym today and the yard work should give me plenty of exercise. I have a huge pressure washer so that will be a job. Usually end up soaking wet so hope it is warm out.
Hey CD are you still decluttering??
Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Jude
Old 05-01-2009, 07:13 PM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hey Jude,

The powerwasher may not take all the paint off--plus won't it kind of blast the paint chips all over?

Do you really have to strip it to paint? Or do you just want to take off a little loose paint? I had to repaint a doorframe some years ago that just had been painted over without any stripping, and so it didn't look very good. Layers and layers, with uneven places where some peeling had happened and then was just painted over.

I found a product that was a gel that you just painted on with a brush--and then let it work for 30 minutes--and then took a scraper to it. It was wonderful!--saved so much effort! I think it was called Zip Strip. You need to use heavy rubber gloves to protect your hands, and maybe put down some paper around the fence posts to catch the stuff as it comes off. But it sure beats a sander or trying to use just a dry scraper.

Anyway... maybe just a little light scraping will do all you need to do, Jude--plus some sanding. It probably doesn't have to be a perfect job.

Bill! Your very own elliptical! Wow, that will leave you with no excuses... not that you had any anyway!

Candy, I love growing my potatoes. But one year my partner's mother was very ill, and I couldn't get up to my garden. By the time I made it up there, the Colorado potato beetles had taken over. It was so sad! I did get some potatoes, but not as many as I could have.

I learned later, though, that I shouldn't have tried to grow potatoes so many years in a row, because the potato beetle eggs get in the soil and then the beetles just get worse and worse if you plant the same thing in the same place. I wasn't using any pesticides--just hand picking them off--that's why they took over.

CD, I'm doing chores, too--but also we've been thinking of trips to take later in the year... cheap trips... there is a good Elderhostel tour of Savannah I'd like to take.

OK, that's it for now!

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 05-01-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:59 PM   #8  
Day at a Time

S/C/G: 242/222/140

Height: 5'2"

Good thought about spraying the paint chips all over Jay. I had not thought of that. This is a very old fence, 20 years and it should never have been painted but stained. I think I will just scrap away the loose stuff and paint over. The old guy came by one time and painted over the peeling spots. He did not bother to scrape and then touched up with the wrong color. So now I have a spotted fence. I have suggested that he not be allowed to do the handy work as he is not handy. He painted yellow lines in the guest parking lot that should have been white. He used tape but over sprayed the tape. So we had yellow lines with sort of a halo on each side. Need I say more.
So can not do too much worse than that. My patio window looks out on the yard and this fence so that is the only part I am fixing up.

Last edited by hijude; 05-01-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:13 AM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hey Jude! This reminds me of my former co-op. One of the guys on the board was cheap beyond belief, and he decided that to fill the cracks in the asphalt road that looped around the community, we should just get together a bunch of volunteers instead of hiring a company. One day he was out there with a bunch of the guys... and they managed to get about 100 square feet done before they all told him he was crazy and quit.

What amazes me is that so many were willing to go along with him...

Today will be a lovely day of light chores on my end.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 05-02-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:46 AM   #10  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Elliptical has landed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandaceG View Post
Hey BillBlueEyes,

I have been thinking about joining your Beck Thread. I have been reading the book and just got the workbook. As soon as I get it read, if you have space for another person, then I will come by.
Candy
Hi Candy - You'll be welcome anytime you choose to drop by - we always have space for another Beck fan, but this is an especially good time since the May thread has just started and a couple of people are starting fresh in the Beck books. We've over here:

Beck Diet For Life/Solution – May 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

The elliptical is installed and calling. Now to schedule my life around it, LOL.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:04 AM   #11  

Hi all - good to see so many posts since I was here last

Yes, I'm still de-cluttering - 2 rooms to go! I hope to finish before we start getting company the end of June. We will have visitors most of the summer.

DH is working today, so I am getting caught up with some of the deep cleaning this weekend. And, I need to do some meal prep for the coming week. Though, we do have 2 nights of eating out on the schedule - at least I've shed the weight from the B&B trip

Gotta fly - I hear the dryer buzzing and I need to get the clothes out so I don't have to iron

Hope everyone has a fun and OP weekend!

Laurie
Old 05-02-2009, 08:24 PM   #12  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

BILL that new toy will be a sweet seat for those games.......just don't sit down...could be hazardous to your...ahem....health.

JUDE sometimes when power washing an old fence flakes of paint will become lose but all of them may not be removed...appearing to be adhering ok...until you roll paint over it....when it gets wet again it flakes off. Sand...sand...sand!

SCOOTER I have de-cluttered here for a few days...Angie is very happy!

JAY I hope you got your chores done.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:44 PM   #13  

Hi all - happy Sunday! Hope you are having fun. It is finally warming up a bit, so I hope to get out into the gardens this afternoon. I still have several beds to clean. I SHOULD start on the windows, but it probably won't happen.

I'm off to get some food prep for the coming week done. Soy milk to make, yogurt to make, fruit to cut up, and rice to cook.

Enjoy your Sunday!

Laurie
Old 05-04-2009, 12:02 PM   #14  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hey! Yesterday we went to Philippe Park and sat under the trees and looked out on the bay. It was warm and nice, with a comfy breeze. People were out there on jet skiis and boats--even some kayaks doing some sort of class. I had the opportunity to doze off in my chair. We took along some nice snacks, too.

This morning I had dental work and now I have a temporary crown. This is the first one I've had to have. I did plan ahead--just had a nice protein shake, since the numbness hasn't worn off yet. I got some Jell-O made last night, also.

And that's been my day so far. Hope all you are having a better time!

Jay
Old 05-04-2009, 06:20 PM   #15  

Jay I know how you are feeling. You will be fine soon, it doesn't take long to get used to crowns. My tongue always wants to play with them for a few days - I know - I'm kinda weird when it comes to some things

Good day here - another major project dumped on my plate with a May 15 due date, so the next couple weeks look incredibly hectic. I'm preparing and planning ahead to keep some balance in my life.

We have a dinner engagement on Wed. and then the "Spring Fling" for the hospital is on Thur. Lots of eating out this week.

Well, the weather is gorgeous, so I gotta get outside and enjoy it! I think I will cook dinner outside tonight

Laurie
Closed Thread