Active Folks Over 50 -- #23

You're on Page 2 of 8
Go to
  • Another one here who adds lemon and some Splenda to green tea. Not really one of my favourite things, but not bad when you want something warm that is low in both calories and caffeine.

Yesterday was one of those terrible days when I ate just about everything that came into my line of vision. I can manage one restaurant meal but when it gets to be two in a row, I seem to lose all control. Yesterday contained far too much bread and far too many cabbage rolls and then, just to be sure I ended up an a "carb-coma", I added some absolutely delicious chocolate cake into the mix. So far today, things are in control.

Weather today is not quite as nice as yesterday but it is mild. Snow in the yard is melting so quickly it looks like a swamp out there. Nice to see the white stuff leaving but a little slower melt rate would be good.

Have a great Friday, gang . . .
  • Good Morning all,

Cold here, but at least it's not snowing. It was so much nicer yeserday and I was hoping....

I work in a high stress area too, nursing. Ever notice how many over weight nurses there are? and doctors? it's the job related stress plus going for long periods without eating. I work 12 hour shifts and there are days i don't get a break for maybe 6 hours. At that point I am not really capable of making a good choice, just give me food! I do take my meals to work though and that helps a lot. the food I have to chose from is healthy, low calorie.

Jay, we must be in the minority here. Just can't get a taste for green tea. I wish I did too. I understand the health benefits but no matter how much I "doctor" it up, I don't like it.

Laurie, I do love tea though, and like to experament with different loose leaf tea's. I love the whole ritual of tea time.

Jude, You enjoy those 11 days off!!! You should be able to complete your quilt in that time. I am starting to sew again too after many years. My Gd got an American girl doll for her birthday and I'm going to try to make doll clothes. I got the sewing machine out yesterday (my husbands) and cut out the patern and started working. I had to call my sister a couple of times to ask "how" but it's coming back. she always wants a quilt for her 'baby" so i'm going to make one of those too.

Flo, hope the sinus infection is clearing up. I know how painful those can be and how often you get them in Michigan! Sinus capital!

freda
  • Hey!

the slim me and Flo, any idea why Michigan is the sinus-infection capital? Interesting...

I have noticed that about nurses--and some doctors, too, but one just sees more nurses. They are on the front lines! It really does show the relationship between stress and weight gain.

meowee... I hope you're still under better control today!

Laurie, yeah! I also discovered that I didn't get any less done by taking time to take care of myself. I think this has to be one of the biggest obvious secrets there is! An hour at the gym or taking a walk or doing some video exercise really can be a lifesaver.

OK, time to get back to my naughty clients who waited until the last minute... Bless their hearts. I will take care of them all, no worries. However, they will pay...

Jay
  • Good Morning . . .

Got a great day under my belt (eating-wise) yesterday and my blood sugar is right back where it belongs. Still hanging on to about a half pound of water weight, but hopefully that will be gone soon too. Luckily my debacles are fairly short-lived. At least when they happen in restaurants or other people's homes. If I bring my triggers into my house; things do not usually get back in line so quickly.

It's very wet and windy around here today and all that snow is going quickly. The rain is predicted to be continuing for the entire coming week. Definitely better than snow, though.

Think I'll pop out for a few groceries and then at least get a start on my taxes. Even though they aren't due until the end of the month, I'd like to get them done this coming week so I don't have them hanging over me when my buddy Ruth arrives for the weekend of the 17th. She used to work for Revenue Canada so I don't want to have to admit to not doing my taxes on time.

Hope all the rest of you get some time to do fun things this weekend . . .
  • Hi all - hope your weekend is going well!

I am on a roll this weekend.

I de-cluttered - not one but THREE rooms yesterday. 18 bags/boxes of "stuff" is gone (or going shortly).

Today's goal is getting the carpets shampooed. DH is working and DS2 is visiting friends. So the only traffic I have to worry about is the cat and the dog. And- since there is still snow on the ground, they won't even be tracking dirt Thankfully, I have a carpet steamer so the process isn't terribly cumbersome.

Now, if I could just find the energy and motivation to get the windows done (I HATE doing windows).

Enjoy your day all!

Laurie
  • Hey! Must be a quiet weekend here in 3FC-Land.

Not much to report here. Laurie, decluttering sounds great. I finally got some floor cleaning in yesterday. It had been way too long. More today!

meowee, I'm glad to hear that your day went so well!

Now, all you northern folks, take heart! Why, in a couple of months you'll be complaining about the heat!

We're having our driveway refinished next week. That may sound boring, but when it's done it will have a nice pattern in it and colors that will match the house. It's a multi-step job, and they begin by grinding out the big stain in the middle where the previous owner had a transmission fluid spill and didn't clean it up.

OK, I guess I'd best get with it.

Jay

• You are so right about the heat, JAY . . . . . . we canuks are never happy with our weather.

Hope everybody else is having a nice sunny day, because I'm not.
  • Kudos for de-cluttering
    Quote: I de-cluttered - not one but THREE rooms yesterday. 18 bags/boxes of "stuff" is gone (or going shortly).
    My admiration to you.

Decluttering is my next goal. I'm sorta doing OK at sorting a bit, but seem to be slooooooooooooooooow at actually moving the stuff out. Having separation issues, LOL.
  • Good Morning all. Nice to be on holidays.

It is going to be a beautiful warm day out today. I am going to haul out the capris I think. I enjoyed my day yesterday doing not much.
    I cut up the skirt into strips to start. I washed the strips and had something like dredlocks coming out of the washing machine. This velvet really frays. Got it all cleaned up and hanging to dry. Not sure how to sew the seams now. A serger would be great but do not have one. Might just do the french seam but it is double the sewing. I have nothing but time. First need to cut the squares and see if I need to add some fabic.
    Laurie is you are decluttering any crushed velvet send it my way!!
    As for green tea. OMG that stuff rev's me up way too much plus it just tastes like grass. I do not drink anything with caffeine in it. So just give me herb tea.
    Freda good luck with the doll clothes. That is too tiny sewing for me.
    I am off today to help a friend pack up her dad for the old folks home. Hope to make it to the gym later.

Have missed a couple of days. Yesterday I did nothing productive. Well my food was not bad. Watched Marley and Me. Not a great movie but definitely a tear jerker. Thumbs down on that one.
    Hope everyone has an OP day.....Jude
  • Jay - you are right of course - I WILL complain about the heat The driveway re-finish sounds like a wonderful thing to do!

Linda - we did get some sun, but not enough warmth for my tastes. I'm tired of cold

Bill - I know how it is. I have to put on my determination and resolve suit before I start the process. But, I have to laugh at myself. Every time I de-clutter and can't part with some things - the next time I go through the process I ask myself why in the world I saved "this or that". But invariably, I always part with something that I will need down the line.
    However, it has taken me a long time to learn that getting rid of 72 bags/boxes of "stuff" is worth having to maybe replace something at some time in the future.

The only things that are really hard for me to get rid of are the things with memories attached. I'm getting better, but there is still room for improvement.

Jude - Does your sewing machine have a stitch that sews a straight seam and then a zig-zag to the right of it? I use that stitch a lot when I don't use my serger. My machine is almost 30 years old, so I don't even know what machines are like these days. Mine was one of the very first computerized models that Sears sold, and it has a lot of those fun type stitches available
    No velvet in my piles, but keep your eyes open at second hand stores, church sales and yard sales. Do you have Freecycle or Craig's list up there? If so, you might want to post a request. It is spring cleaning time for lots of folks and you might get some additional items

I had a busy day yesterday. The carpet cleaner would not spray like it is supposed to. DH had to work all day, so no help there. It probably took me twice as long, but I did get it repaired after about 3 hours of troubleshooting and totally dismantling the thing. I found lots of advice online, and finally someone pointed me to the heater. This model is prone to develop clogs inside the heater - and sure enough - I was able to clear the clog and get it working again! So, a 5 hour job, turned into an 8 hour one. But I did get all 5 rooms shampooed and Scotchguarded

I'm tired, but pleased with myself. I got more done in two days than I used to get done when I took the whole week of spring break off from work. It is amazing how much more energy I have for cleaning when I'm not carrying around that extra 90+ lbs!

Hope you all had a great weekend! I've got a very busy week ahead with both church and work activities. I'm going to try to get food prepared for the week ahead so that I don't have to think too much when it comes to meals.

I got a new fitness game for the Wii this weekend (Gold's Gym Cardio) that I'm hoping will be fun. Something new and different to try

Laurie
  • Good Morning . . .
  • Good Morning all.
    Hey Jade congratulations on a grandson coming. I have no grandkids. Maybe one day.

Thanks Laurie for the suggestions. I will look at my machine. I have an old Brother that has 12 different stitches in it. I have yet to cut my squares. Tonight I think. Then I will have an idea what I am looking at.
    Laurie if I run a small zigzag down the edges then sew will that stop the fraying?

I stopped at a fabric store and they had some great velvets but they were all stretchy. They also had a quilting room. Now this is something I said I would never do but you know I find it keeps me out of the food. But matching squares just may not be my thing either. Of course DD wants a quilt or this one- not! But she may get another one. I used to sew all the time. Had once planned to be a designer. Funny when I am sewing I never have time to eat.
    Knitting is another. Sweaters anyone??
    My food was doing ok on the weekend till Sunday when a pizza seemed to appear on my plate. All a result of bad planning.

Laurie I love to hear you new energy stories I find them really motivating. Thanks. We have Craigslist so I will post a request. I will look for quilting pieces in general. Not a cheap hobby if you buy everything new. But you should have seen all the fabulous fabrics that they had in this quilting room. Lots of nostalgia prints and the tiny florals. $$$$
    Better get to the gym....Judi
  • Linda - stay warm I'm not much liking April weather right now!

Judi - Yes, you should be able to zigzag over the edges to keep them from fraying. That is one thing I DO remember from "home ec" class. And, it does work pretty well. I do it on all of my quilts since I don't like to have large seam allowances and they need to stand up to several washings!

Knitting - ah - my hands can't handle it much any more (arthritis is not fun). I occasionally do a scarf or mittens, and I've done several pair of felted slippers. Not too many sweaters anymore. But - If I do end up having grand kids - I will probably do some special sweaters and a christening outfit.

Nothing beats good old-fashioned home made wool mittens if you ask me, so I will probably continue to knit mittens until I can't any longer!

A busy day here - everyone was back to school, so my phone rang off the hook. I did manage to sneak out for a bit and go to the blood bank. Which is an excuse to take it easy on the exercising today

Gotta fly - time to make dinner!

Hope you had a good start to the week!

Laurie
  • So much seems to be going on here.

Laurie and Jude- I'm so impressed by your sewing skills, defintely not one of my talents. It drives me crazy when I sew.

My sinus infection is almost gone. I tried a nasal wash, it's pretty amazing how well it works. Michigan has a lot of beautiful and wonderful things, but sinus infections are not so great. I hope to begin exercising soon now that my head is better. I'm looking forward to our Easter break later this week.

I hope everyone has a great week. I will try to post more frequently. It's always a big help staying OP.

We had five inches of snow this morning, it was really tough driving to work. I want spring.

The Final Four has been great for the City of Detroit. I sure hope MIchigan State takes it all tonight. Go State
  • Go STATE!
    Lori - glad you are feeling better. I hear ya on the sinuses - and allergies too! ARGH! We missed your snow, but are getting some right now - and howling winds!

Alas, my years at MSU seem like a lifetime ago ...