Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 07:41 AM   #121  
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thumbs up Good Beginning

Karen, Bobbi and Meowee, thanks for the Welcome!

Karen, I hope your bridge friends appreciate you. That's a lot of work! My name is Karen but I use Kren - an old nickname from typing too fast and leaving out the A.

I hope to have time this weekend to learn about the site a little more so I know my way around. Just being here helps. I stayed OP yesterday - first time in a very long while of trying. It feels good.

I, too, have always been a proponet of calorie counting. When I journal every little bite, it helps so much. And my body always thanks me when I don't overeat, by feeling so much better.

It's too bad that overeating is so much fun, because the results are no fun at all!

Kren
Adding calories to a bad day does not make it better!
Old 03-20-2009, 09:03 AM   #122  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Good Morning Chickies . . .

Well, it is officially SPRING and, the sun is trying to shine in northeastern Nova Scotia.

I celebrated the start of this glorious new season by removing the 'blankie' I tack over my westerly facing, and very drafty, sunroom door. As I sit here in front of it, I fear I may have jumped the gun a little; but it definitely looks more spring-like in here. May trot off to town later on just because I can but other than that I honestly have no plans for the day.

How about you . . . any exciting 'vernal equinox' celebration plans?
Old 03-20-2009, 09:13 AM   #123  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Morning folks....everything is made and packed in ice and ready to stick in car trunk. 2 cups of coffee and after a quick shower it's off to the races. Forgot to check the moon last night! Luckly my calendar has wee marks...phew 1/2 moon. Explains last week....after trying to get one pair up to speed without success and trying to explain to the others....finally said I can't penalize senility. Boy that shut them up. Other rule I often use is there is no rule against Stupid.

I just can't believe another Karen. Lordy growing up I was a teenager before I meet another Karen.

Went to the fish fry last night. Nothing was OP! But ate just a little of most everything. Can't get into fried okra and they had made deviled eggs....after making 72 deviled eggs I passed them by quickly! Tasted the mac'ncheese but didn't inhale. Filled up on salad and a couple of grouper fingers. Just so nice to have someone else cooking. Pie was perfect and left the whole thing there. Neither Dh or I ate any.

Gesh, watching the weather map recently.....please send us your rain. We are so dry. Sure don't want those swamp fires again this year. pheeyooooooo

Bobbie....How is MIL doing? More important how is DH doing?

Lynn....Are you down here yet? Hope you packed summer clothes.

Linda....Spring is coming! I promise

Off to the circus.....or will it be a zoo.....Karen3
Old 03-20-2009, 11:33 AM   #124  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Good Morning and WELCOME KREN!! I am so glad that it is finally Spring BUT we are expecting a snowstorm coming in Sunday night into Monday!! YUCK!!! They are talking quite a bit of snow with this one but I guess I shouldn't complain since we havent' had much snow at all this year and the fire danger is very high!

I've been calling my Dad every morning and he seems to be settling in to the skilled nursing and not really liking that they are making him do exercises!! He said they had him riding a stationary bike, lifting some weights and doing some other things. I told him I was proud of him and thought maybe I should come on back and join him in his routine!! Hopefully, he will get stronger and then be able to go back to stay with my brother like before. But if he is to stay there at least he is getting such good care and also has a wonderful room mate that he gets along with great! So i am trying to relax more about that and get more focused on me and getting the house sold and moved back there. We do have an offer on a house back there and hope to hear today about that. If it is accepted I think we will go ahead and move back there and leave this house in the hands of our realtor. Lots to think about but finally have just decided to leave it in God's hands and know things will be fine.
Have a wonderful day!!
Old 03-20-2009, 01:16 PM   #125  

S/C/G: 186/167/140

Height: 5'

Hi there Kren, welcome to The Golden Girls, I'm still a newbie too, so we can learn together.

HAPPY SPRING!!!

It's finally here, after such a bad winter, hope all of you enjoy it today. It's a beautiful day here, cool, only high 50's, but I will take it,

I have been very busy the last few days, didn't get here yesterday to post, but here today to hope everyone has a great and successful day, at whatever you are trying to achieve.

Tonight is card night, so will make lowfat popcorn and probably brownies.....we all love them, and that's my reward for a decent week.

Have a great Friday everyone!!

And remember...........Nothing taste as good as thin feels!
Old 03-20-2009, 02:01 PM   #126  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Afternoon............I had to make another trip into town this morning to finalize MIL moving day so I missed my morning chat with you all.
Karen3...........Do you have a budget set aside from the card club that covers the expense of all the food you buy and the many hours of cooking/baking?
Susan...if you only post a 'Hi' a couple times a day, it will add up faster so you can get your weight chart on the bottom of your post.
Where's Lynn at?
Kren...You can join a couple of different web sites that count your calories for you. I use Fitday but there are other FREE ones!
Meowee.........I'll celebrate when my 1st tulips pop up.
Quote:
How about you . . . any exciting 'vernal equinox' celebration plans?
Karen31...If you have the money to swing it, that's probably the best action to take instead of putting up with the disappointment of showing your home and no buyers.
Quote:
If it is accepted I think we will go ahead and move back there and leave this house in the hands of our realtor. Lots to think about but finally have just decided to leave it in God's hands.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:06 PM   #127  
Bobbi

PONDERISMSI used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

Gardening Rule: When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

The easiest way to find something lost around the house is to buy a replacement.

Never take life seriously Nobody gets out alive anyway.

There are two kinds of pedestrians: the quick and the dead.

Life is sexually transmitted.

Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
.The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Have you noticed since everyone has a camcorder these days no one talks about seeing UFOs like they used to?

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again

All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

In the 60s, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal

How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?

Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Who was the first person to say, "See that chicken there? I'm gonna eat the next thing that comes outta its butt.

"Why is there a light in the fridge and not in the freezer?

Last edited by Bobbolink; 03-20-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:20 PM   #128  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Evening.....I'm back and not feeling totally done in. Had 22 tables(88 players) and for some reason that is so much easier than 25 tables. I had everything caught up and started washing up dishes after the 3rd round. Yup, they inhaled every drop. Grown men were moaning over the trifle. Put it a big tub and someone licked it clean. The club pays for the food.....but not my time cooking it.....and pay me $1 per player to direct. If you count my total hours I probably make $1.25 an hour! It gives me such joy to watch people digging into my food. Alot of the elderly people live alone and eating with friends is so pleasureable.....I have 2 ladies who pack little dogggie bags.....shhh I am not supposed to notice.....ahhhhhhhhhhh. Another lady only gets free food they have at local goodwill store and eats mostly potatoes and old vegies. So I watch and make sure she gets some protein. But after eating these same sweeties turn into card sharks and play a very competive game of bridge!

You should see me jump everytime the phone rings. The game is posted on the club website and players have until 12N tomorrow to call with any mistakes or problems. I check the scores I post 3 times and usually am ok. But still jump. Love it they always say "You made a mistake" and 99% of the time they have written it down wrong and it's not my mistake!

Wore my pedometer and did a little over 6 miles. Wonder of wonders I drank my water, too. Just forgot to eat. Inhaled dinner and it is sitting on my diaphragm. Blahhhhhhhhh

Bobbie....i think Lynn is down here visiting her sister.

Karen31....be careful in the late winter snow! You need to get back East and start of summer garden!

Take care of yourselves and hugs. Karen3
Old 03-21-2009, 09:52 AM   #129  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Sunny but cold . . . awwww SPRING.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:11 AM   #130  
Bobbi

Good Morning Girls!
Gosh, everyone's so busy in the spring. I need to get out and let the chickens out, They have been cooped up all winter. We give them vegetable scraps mixed with chopped cabbage, green grapes and cooked brown rice every morning. I caught a Martha Steward show yesterday and she gives her chickens scrap like melon skins. No wonder their eggs taste so good. We're staying home today for a change, If it gets warm enough I'll do some outdoor pruning.
You all have a great week-end.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:09 PM   #131  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

My sister and I returned from FL yesterday. We had a nice time visiting our cousin in Venice Beach. Went to Sarasota one day to botanical garden and the Ringling estate.

I managed to stay out of the sun & to gain only 1 pound. Ate pretty much according to plan, but overate on breakfasts. Ate 1 dessert and a few french fries. Other than that, did well.

I'm planning to begin the DTOUR diabetic diet (from Prevention magazine) tomorrow. I'll be checking my blood sugar very carefully for the first couple of weeks to make sure it doesn't raise my levels. I'll let you know how it works out.

Check back later.

Lynn
Old 03-21-2009, 01:06 PM   #132  

Hi All,

Glad to see you back Lynn, and to hear that you had a good time. Only 1 pound? that is a major accomplishment! You will get rid of that in no time. I'm interested in seeing how the new eating plan from prevention works. Keep us posted. How is it differencce?

Bobbi, I live in the burbs, so no chickens. But my brother lives in a rural area and raises his own organic beef and chickens, stuff.. And the eggs do taste better!

Karen, are you the only one that cooks for these games? I don't know how you do it lady!! I would taste as i went along.

Karen, I hope your house sells soon and the one you want to buy comes through. If you dad makes a real effort he should get stronger. I work rehab and i've seen miracles.

Spring? did someone say it was spring? It's snowing here!
Freda
Old 03-21-2009, 02:30 PM   #133  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by the slim me View Post
Hi All,

Glad to see you back Lynn, and to hear that you had a good time. Only 1 pound? that is a major accomplishment! You will get rid of that in no time. I'm interested in seeing how the new eating plan from prevention works. Keep us posted. How is it differencce?

Spring? did someone say it was spring? It's snowing here!
Freda
Hi Freda,

For me, it will be more carbs than I generally have.

The goal seems to be to increase calcium, vitamin D, fiber, and omega 3 through food. According to the Prevention booklet, this will be beneficial for pre-diabetics and diabetics. I'll keep you posted.

Lynn
Old 03-21-2009, 04:14 PM   #134  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Hi everyone. I'm still at my son's place with the new baby. We're stuck here until at least tomorrow because of a snow storm. We were supposed to go home today but the 20-40 centimeters of snow is coming down thick and fast. It may even last into tomorrow. At home it isn't going to start until this evening. It's the same storm but DS got it first.

My FIL has been sent to the hospital near home. The doctors have removed him from dialysis because it is no longer working. It is only a matter of a few days and he will be gone. I'm so tired from travelling back and forth to the hospital (an hour's drive each way) and then coming back to DS's place to try and squeeze in a few minutes with the baby when he's awake. This storm is almost a Godsend as we couldn't travel today and could actually rest.

I had a post all ready on Thursday night but got called away so I'm just going to press "post" and get this one up.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:43 PM   #135  

S/C/G: 186/167/140

Height: 5'

Hi all, what a beautiful day God has given me today. The weather is absolutely gorgeous and just cool enough to be pleasant. I honestly can't find one thing to gripe about today...lol.

Yesterday however, was a different story. I didn't want to cook, so made my DH a pizza for dinner, and ended up eating some of it myself. I decided against brownies for card night, made white chocolate chip macadamia nut cookies instead, and I just can't resist a warm cookie, so ate 3 of them. Then, my friend brought a chocolate pie.........totally my favorite!!!!!, so I had a piece of that. Bad, bad, bad!!!

So, today, I've eaten very light, and walked 35 minutes 2 different times, a total of 70 minutes today. I also ordered some cooler walking shoes for the summer, and I ordered a heart rate monitor watch, to see how many calories I'm burning. I can't wait to get it, and set some more goals for myself.

Karen, there is no way I could cook all of that without eating it. You are a good woman!!!

Kren, I use Sparkpeople to track my calories and my fitness.

Karen31, good luck with the sale of your house. Thankfully things are starting to pick back up here, several of our listings are being shown, and one has gone under contract.

Bobbi, thanks for the tip, I thought it had to be 20 days, regardless of how many times you posted. So, will say hi alot now......lol

Meow and Freda, yesssssssssssssssssss, spring has sprung!!!

Lynn, good luck with your new eating plan, hope it does really well for you.

Isabella, so sorry to hear about your FIL. But, glad you got to spend time with your precious new grand baby. Have a safe trip back home.

Now, it's time to finish up dinner, take a shower, and crash with a good movie...and maybe some lowfat popcorn, and lots of water.

Everyone have a great rest of the day!

"nothing, not even chocolate pie, lol, tastes as good as thin feels".......I wish!!
Closed Thread