Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 03:30 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredone View Post
I've just eaten a huge amount of pound cake. I made one for my sister's birthday and there was too much batter for the pan so I made a smaller cake too. Well, half of the small one is gone. What is wrong with me? Now, I have to get on my bike and ride half way around the world to get rid of that cake. And no more food today. Not a bite, not a bit, not even a sniff.

Everything is frozen today but not real cold. The ground isn't frozen hard under the snow so it will melt quicker once warmer weather comes. After yesterday's rain there was a channel carved out of the ice in the driveway where the water had run down to the street but it was partially frozen when I went out a short time ago. I was walking over the frozen part and the ice broke and my foot got wedged between the two sides of the channel. Did that ever hurt the side of my foot. But I did notice how mushy the ground was under the ice.

Have a good day and don't go near cake.
Hi Isabella,

Here's my suggestion. Eat a LOT of salad WITH oil and vinegar and drink a LOT of water. This will help you get rid of that cake.

Lynn
Old 03-04-2009, 03:33 PM   #32  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
Good Morning!
This article might be of interest to some of us that have Alzheimers disease in our families. My mom died of it two years ago and my MIL is in the middle stages of Alzheimers.
Our daughter was concerned about getting it from my side of the family but with it coming from her other grandmother, she's really concerned. I told her they'd probably have a cure for it by the time she gets older. (She's 39) I've never heard of a supplement of tumeric, I'll have to look into it today or start eating lots of mustard.

[/LIST]
Hi Bobbi,

I have a neighbor with alzheimers who has recently been institutionalized. I've been to see her twice. It's a VERY difficult visit. Basically, I can either suffer through the visit, or feel guilty for not visiting.

Biggest problem for me is the reminders of the times my DH was in a nursing home & how much he hated it.

Lynn
Old 03-05-2009, 11:25 AM   #33  

Hi Everyone,

I had my stress test today. Doctor was VERY happy. Says my heart is working better than it was when I was 40.

Hoping to get together with my friend today.

Check back later,

Lynn
Old 03-05-2009, 12:01 PM   #34  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning!
We have a new bakery in town that is run by an older couple from Guatemala. They also serve 3 or 4 lunches, we've tried them all but yesterday's Taco El Pastor was so good that I can't stop thinking about it. I've spent soooooooooo much time on my computer this morning looking for a similar recipe. Any of you know of one?
Old 03-05-2009, 02:41 PM   #35  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Thanks for the advice Lynn. I have a huge Romaine lettuce in the frig that I should break out. It's been in a green bag for over a week and it's just as fresh as the day I bought it. DH actually bought it and I had 2 more on the go so the green bag is a real saver.

Bobbi, did you find the recipe. Maybe the couple who run the bakery would give you the recipe or at least some hints as to what they do with the ingredients.

I'm busy today making wedding shower favors. I don't know how many I'll need but I'm on #46 and I'm going to make at least 60. I've made one of those towel cakes and wanted something to complement it to give as favors. I found a site that was selling washcloth "cupcakes" and I adapted the idea for the wedding favor. Basically, I folded the washcloth into a long strip corner to corner and then rolled as tightly as I could and used a straight pin to keep it together. It looks like a cinnamon roll. I have 6 different colored face cloths so they look nice. Each "cupcake" goes in a cupcake paper and will be topped with a red cinnamon heart. Then I'll print a little note thanking everyone for the lovely gifts and DS's fiance will pass them out to the guests. At least I can't eat these cakes, ha, ha.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:58 AM   #36  

Hi Everyone,

It is getting a little warmer here. I actually walked to the mail box yesterday, about 2 blocks. I wouldn't have been able to do that last week. So, maybe spring is comming.

Lynn, congratulations on the test!! Just goes to show that diet and exercise can make a huge difference!

Bobbi, I deal with a lot of Alzheimers patients at the hospital. Terrible disease. The sad thing is, they know they are losing their memory and know the results. Horrible thing, to lose yourself. And right now, not a lot can be done. There are a couple of drugs but not terribly effective. But any help is better than none. Hopefully, they will find something soon. My mom has dementia. Different, but same results. her's is not genetic, but secondary to a medical condition. We see her getting more forgetful, fearful, and more argumentative while she tries to keep her independance.

Isabella, how is the foot? And stay away from the cake, girl! Your idea for the "cupcakes" sound cute. Now, those you can have as many of as you want. ha!

Karen, I hope you are feeling better.

Freda
Old 03-06-2009, 10:05 AM   #37  

Quote:
Originally Posted by the slim me View Post
Hi Everyone,

Bobbi, I deal with a lot of Alzheimers patients at the hospital. Terrible disease. The sad thing is, they know they are losing their memory and know the results. Horrible thing, to lose yourself. And right now, not a lot can be done. There are a couple of drugs but not terribly effective. But any help is better than none. Hopefully, they will find something soon. My mom has dementia. Different, but same results. her's is not genetic, but secondary to a medical condition. We see her getting more forgetful, fearful, and more argumentative while she tries to keep her independance.

Freda

Hi Freda,

I have wondered about the difference between Alzheimers and dementia. So, is it that Alzheimers is genetic and dementia is not?

Hopefully, none of us will suffer from either.

Lynn
Old 03-06-2009, 10:07 AM   #38  

Good Morning Everyone,

This week was my DD & SIL's anniversary. Tonight I'm taking them to a local Italian restaurant for dinner. I'm determined to NOT gain back that !@##$$%^^& pound that I keep losing and gaining. Plan to eat salad, fish, and vegetables.

Have a good day everyone,

Lynn
Old 03-06-2009, 10:15 AM   #39  
Bobbi

Good Morning!
I'm having a lazy day, laundry is finished and we'll have left-over chicken barley soup. We get soooooooooo much mileage out of a whole chicken. We have roasted chicken the first night, more the second night and I make soup out of the balance that we eat for two more nights. The whole chickens were on sale for .69 cents a pound. That's like 4 meals for under $3.00. I use our own frozen garden veggies like tomatoes, zucchinni and garlic. I make the broth out of the cooked chicken bones. I saw an old friend in the grocery store the other day and we were talking about the high price of groceries. I told her I make my own laundry soap and she said I was a very crafty person. I laughed and said no, I'm just a tight-wad cheap skate. Growing up in a large family in the 40's will do that to a person.
Lets all do a remember when:
I remember having one color book for all 5 of us kids. We only got to color when we were terribily bored or it rained. We got to choose what page we wanted, then mom would tear out that sheet and that was all we got.
Isabella...Yes, I googled it and found many authenic recipes. It's going to be interesting to make it. We have to go to the Mexican store to find guajillo chili, ancho chilies, chipotle chili in adobo sauce,achiote paste, tomatillo, etc. The recipe calls for cilantro which is didn't like when we first started eating it at restaurants. (It taste like soap) Bruce and I decided that it has to grow on you. We actually enjoyed it at the Guatemalan restaurant when we ordered the Taco Al Pastor.
Freda...When mom was diagnosed with it she said she didn't want to hear the word 'Alzheimers'. We noticed about a year before she went on meds for it that she got real quiet and never added anything to our conversations.
Quote:
The sad thing is, they know they are losing their memory and know the results. Horrible thing, to lose yourself.
Lynn...congrats on the great test, 40 huh? You're doing something right.
Cathouse.... nice name! You want to explain the meaning of your user name? The tumeric you have in your spice rack is not strong enough to benefit you, I checked online and it comes in capsule form. Before I order it I'll have to check with my doc to make sure it won't interfer with my high cholesterol meds.
Karen3...hope your cold is gone and you're back to your good humored self.
Hi Fluffy and Linda, you all have a great day.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 03-06-2009 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:56 PM   #40  

I remember coloring rocks and shells, swapping trading cards with my friend (she always wanted the ones with the flower pictures & I always wanted the ones with the horses), and spending hours with our paper dolls - putting them to bed in shoeboxes with tissue "sheets" over them.

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 03-06-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:28 PM   #41  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Old 03-07-2009, 08:59 AM   #42  

Hi Everyone,

Well, I was totally UNSUCCESSFUL at following my plan at dinner last night. Will get back on track today. Of course, that !@#$%^%^%^&* pound is back (+ more).

Today is my first "meet-up" meeting. It is a scrabble group. I'll let you know how it goes.

Lynn
Old 03-07-2009, 09:15 AM   #43  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Hello all,

To bed soon here ~ the before work nap.

Have been working on going through boxes of stuff, sorting throwing organizing. Has kept me busy and out of the food.

My mom is in the early stages of alzheimers. I used to try to help her remember stuff, but I gave up. For instance, no matter how many times I help her to figure out how old her cat is, she can't retain that info. I just answer the same questions over and over again. My frustration is more with my dad and his lack of patience with my mom. I guess he is probably scared at the change in her. But then some of the things he does have nothing to do with her memory and make me upset with him. He tries to control what she eats. If he isn't feeling well that day, he is growly and grouchy and nearly takes her head off if she asks him a question. He has had the good fortune to have had pretty good health and it is frustrating to him to not feel good, but that doesn't make it ok for him to take it out on mom. All his yelling makes it so she can't think straight. He told me that when he was in the hospital, the nurses said what a nice patient he was ~ good natured and pleasant ~ I thought ~ why don't you try some of that at home. One thing that he does that makes it hard for her to think straight is the channel surfing on the tv. She will be watching one thing and next thing she knows what she sees doesn't make any sense to what she had just been watching ~ well, dad has gone and changed the channel. To me, it is just commom courtesy to ask the person who is watching with you if they mind if you change the channel.

Ok, enough of my venting.

Hope you all have a good weekend.

Take care
Old 03-07-2009, 09:24 AM   #44  
Bobbi

Good Morning!
Gayle...sorry to hear about your mom. How old is your dad? What stage is your mom in? Is she still living at home? I know it was a big adjustment for my dad that didn't know how to boil water before my mom was diagnosed. He gradually took over the cooking and laundry. It 's very frustrating living 24/7 with someone with alzheimers and the constant questions, etc. Guess your family will just have to pray for your dad, maybe take turns helping him out. Maybe you already do that Gayle, we took turns cleaning dad's house and that helped him out a lot. We also took her to all her doctor's appointments, hair appointments, shopping, etc. Sometimes we'd just go visit with her while dad could get out and mow the yard or grocery shop. Dad appreciated all the little things we did to help him out.

Quote:
My frustration is more with my dad and his lack of patience with my mom. I guess he is probably scared at the change in her. But then some of the things he does have nothing to do with her memory and make me upset with him. He tries to control what she eats. If he isn't feeling well that day, he is growly and grouchy and nearly takes her head off if she asks him a question.

Just too much fun not to pass on......

FENDER SKIRTS'.
I came across this phrase yesterday 'FENDER SKIRTS.'A term I haven't heard in a long time, and thinkingabout 'fender skirts' started me thinking about other words that quietly disappear from our language with hardly a notice like 'curb feelers'
And 'steering knobs.' (AKA) suicide knob.Since I'd been thinking of cars, my mind naturally went that direction first.Any kids will probably have to find some elderly person over 50 to explain some of these terms to you.

Remember 'Continental kits?'They were rear bumper extenders and spare tire covers that were supposed to make any car as cool as a Lincoln Continental.When did we quit calling them 'emergency brakes?'
At some point 'parking brake' became the proper term. But I miss the hint of drama that went with 'emergency brake.'
I'm sad, too, that almost all the old folks are gone who would call the accelerator the 'foot feed.'

Didn't you ever wait at the street for your daddy to come home, so you could ride the 'running board' up to the house?

Here's a phrase I heard all the time in my youth but never anymore - 'store-bought.' Of course, just about everything is store-bought these days. But once it was bragging material to have a store-bought dress or a store-bought bag of candy.

'Coast to coast' is a phrase that once held all sorts of excitement and now means almost nothing. Now we take the term 'world wide' for granted. This floors me.

On a smaller scale, 'wall-to-wall' was once a magical term in our homes. In the '50s, everyone covered his or her hardwood floors with, wow, wall-to-wall carpeting! Today, everyone replaces their wall-to-wall carpeting with hardwood floors. Go figure.
?
When's the last time you heard the quaint phrase 'in a family way?' It's hard to imagine that the word 'pregnant' was once considered a little too graphic, a little too clinical for use in polite company, so we had all that talk about stork visits and 'being in a family way' or simply 'expecting.'

Apparently 'brassiere' is a word no longer in usage. I said it the other day and my daughter cracked up. I guess it's just 'bra' now. 'Unmentionables' probably wouldn't be understood at all.

I always loved! going to the 'picture show,' but I considered 'movie' an affectation.

Most of these words go back to the '50s, but here's a pure-'60s word I came across the other day - 'rat fink.' Ooh, what a nasty put-down!

Here's a word I miss - 'percolator.' That was just a fun word to say. And what was it replaced with? 'Coffee maker.' How dull. Mr. Coffee, I blame you for this.
?
I miss those made-up marketing words that were meant to sound so modern and now sound so retro. Words like 'DynaFlow' and 'Electrolux.' Introducing the 1963 Admiral TV, now with 'SpectraVision!'

Food for thought - Was there a telethon that wiped out lumbago? Nobody complains of that anymore. Maybe that's what castor oil cured, because I never hear mothers threatening kids with castor oil anymore.

Some words aren't gone, but are definitely on the endangered list. The one that grieves me most, 'supper.' Now everybody says 'dinner.' Save a great word. Invite someone to supper. Discuss fender skirts I thought some of us of a 'certain age' would remember most of these.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 03-07-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:57 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hi everybody! I'm sitting here in MO. getting ready to go to the hospital to see my Dad. We got here last Wednesday and had to take him to the ER on Saturday night. They had to do bowel surgery this last Tuesday and he ended up being in ICU for 2 days after. He is now in a regular room but still not doing great. Kidneys aren't working good, lungs were congested and they are talking congestive heart failure. I know some of you already know he had quadruple by pass a few years ago and is on a pacemaker now. He is 89 years old and diabetic so could use all the prayers that you could send this way. On a Happier note--- we should know something on the house we made an offer on back here this coming week. Will be so happy to get moved here and be closer.

Everybody have a good weekend and I will try to get back with updates later
Closed Thread