Active Folks Over 50 -- #21

You're on Page 4 of 9
Go to
  • Hey!

CD, I like Speedo suits. I know, dull and old fashioned. But I've always preferred a one-piece suit. Mine has the straps that cross in the back--that's the best! I got it online.

In fact, this is my suit:

http://www.speedousa.com/product/ind...131378.3131562

OK, boring--but I love it! I want to swim, not be a fashion statement.

They do have floral prints and different designs even in the "Conservative" line.

Thanks also for the tip about exercise, CD. Maybe that's what did it. I guess I'm like so many others on 3FC--I only want the scale to go one direction, even though I know in my head that it doesn't work that way.

See ya!

Jay
  • Good Morning all,

At last, the rain has stopped. Bad news, it turned colder again too. Not as cold as before, but no more walking outside for awhile, id' guess. I envy those of you that are able to walk outside all year long.

Soontobe, Welcome!! Congratulations on your decision to get healthier and lose weight! An I want to go with you on vacation too!!! I hope you will post pictures.

Laurie, I'm sure you're glad to get the prsentation over with. I hope you get caught up on everything soon. Night time snacking is my biggest problem. I also plan for snacks, usually something with a little protein to get me through the night. but i don't really think it's hunger, it's more habit. Or mine is. Something I continue to work on. As you know, I am a serious Audio book fan too, so I feel your pain! ha!! Did you look at TJMXX for vathing suits? They have gotten a lot in and the prices can't be beat!

Jay, congratulations on not snacking in the evening!! is it a problem for all of us? Sharp bathing suit.

Jada, I posted the broccoli salad recipe in the recipe section. I hope you like it.

Everyone, make it a good day,

Freda
  • Hi gang . . . whoever sent this really awful weather can have it back.
  • The Slim Me: I found the broccoli salad recipe. Thanks. I'm fixing it tonight. I'm substituting ground turkey for the bacon (I have to watch my salt) and I'm using vinaigrette spritz instead of the dressing. We'll see how it goes. I'm also going to add a banana.
    Jay: I like your bathing suit. Very stylish.
    I did my walk today and staying in control of my eating. I bought yogurt today to substitute for my eggs and applesauce for my evening snack.
  • Jada - I'm a firm believer in 6 small meals! It has been one of the pillars of my program!

Jay - oooh, thanks for the link. I like it! Looks like it will keep the "girls" where they belong, which is always a challenge for me.

Freda - I make sure I get protein every other time I eat. My nighttime snack doesn't seem to need a protein balance. A bit of Laughing Cow, or half a string cheese with my veggies is usually enough. During the day, is another story. If I don't get enough protein, I'm a ravenous beast

I hope the weather gets warmer soon. I'm missing the sunshine we had earlier!

I'm glad this week is over - it was a rough one! But, I DID get in 30 minutes with my virtual trainer and another 30 on the wii fit tonight after work. Even though I just wanted a nap when I got home.

Hope you all have a great weekend and a
  • Hi Everyone, I didn't realize how long I've been off line until I read all the posts.

Welcome Soontobe!

I've been so overwhelmed at work. I'm working on a musical presentation with my fifth graders on the Constitution to present to parents and the school. Feb. 26th. I don't know exactly how it turned into a musical instead of just a play. Sometimes things just start to roll. It is quite cute and I think they'll really walk away learning something about the Constitution.

I've also been busy on Fitday. I couldn't get on the website all the times I tried,previously. I finally figured out I needed to accept the cookie and it let me on. It really is eye opening seeing the pie chart of your day's food intact. I think it should really be a help on my journey. I"ll check out the others too.

I did lose a pound. So things are paying off. I'm on my way to Onederland.

Have a great day.
  • Hi to everyone!!
    I have been so busy reading trying to catch up I have little time to post!!
    You all sound great! Everyone working hard and trainers to boot!!

I would love to get a trainer but worry that they would just about kill me. I did 4 days at the gym last week and this week none. Too many appointments. Grrrr.
    Have not lost any weight and the month of January has slipped into February and that is half gone.
    But tomorrow is Valentines day and so heres to a happy Valentines day to you all.

I found an OA BBook meeting online and have been following that. I suffer from a physical addiction and a mental obsession with food. Like so many. It is helping with the mental part. I am still following the Kay Sheppard program that I found here a 3FC. It is fabulous. I just have not put all the junk food down. I have posted it to Fitday and it comes up glowing. About 1600 calories. Now if I can just stay with that I would be doing great. Working on it though and it is getting better.

I like your comment Laurie about one decision at a time. That and Jay said to me ages ago " if I had to wait till I wanted to go to they gym I would never go" So now I do what I need and have to start to make decisions as they come up. That is what it is all about. Can only change today and what is to come. Can not fix those past choices. Wish that it was so and then I would still be a lovely 130 pounds.

So hi! hi! hi! have missed you all. Thanks for all the support and here comes spring. Looks like Jay is into her bathing suit. Yikes I had better get busy as I want to do some beach time this summer....if it ever stops raining.

Cheers....Jude
  • . . . Happy Valentines Day to you and yours . . .
  • Lori - good for you! Keeping a food/exercise journal is one of the most important things I did on this journey. It held me accountable. It made me think about everything I put in my body. Many times I made a better choice, just because I knew I had to log it.

Jude - good to have you back! And you are so right. We can't change the choices we made in the past, but we can learn from them. You really can do this! I remember 215 and there were some great things about that weight
    - I was close to ONEDERLAND - which was a tangible goal
    - I COULD exercise - walking made me feel so much better. I found I loved aerobic dance, yoga and even using handweights on a fitness ball. Pre-journey I had convinced myself that I was too fat and out of shape to even think about some of those things. WRONG!
    - I COULD lose weight on 1600 calories Steadily!

As I said to Lori - logging everything does help. And - give yoga a try. I found that it helped on many levels - including the emotional eating

Linda - hope the weather is improving your way!

And, I hope everyone has a great weekend! Busy day planned here - church activities for 4-5 hours, and some cleaning and laundry. And I've got to get in the 3FC 5K too!

Happy Valentine's Day!
  • This forum has the cutest icons. They make me smile. Jude, that smiley face sitting at the computer is the cutest thing.
    I did my walk and I still feel in control of my eating. It has really helped me to break down my daily meals into six parts. Also, using broccoli as my mainstay in meals, helps. It takes a long time to chew, so it feels like my meals are lasting longer.
    Happy Valentines Everybody!!!! and thank you for everything.
  • Jada, I love broccoli! I like to put a bit of lowfat salad dressing on it, or even use a salad spritzer, just for variety.

hijude! You're baaaack! Glad to see you're still posting and hanging in there! We missed you!

I'm trying an experiment for the next month... along the lines of my trainer suggesting I should be eating more. I'm really afraid about it, but I think staying with it faithfully for a month will tell me whether it has any merit. The main thing is, it has to be healthy calories, I think. More of the good-quality foods I would usually eat.

flowingair! I'm glad you dropped in--sounds like you've been way too busy!

I made it a pretty good day, Freda!

Happy Valentines day, my friends!

Jay
  • Jada - I like 6 meals a day too. My current way to eat broccoli is in broccoli slaw - it goes great in a pita along with spinach, craisins, feta, and almonds. It has become my new favorite sandwich

Jay - one other thought on your plan - which might be a strategy you can throw in if you are still stalled. I had some luck breaking a plateau with calorie cycling for a couple weeks. On the days you train, eat more, the days you do lighter exercise, eat less. I was so locked into x number of calories per day, that a simple strategy like - giving my body more fuel on high-intensity days didn't cross my mind. Now, I just do it naturally. I guess I did teach this "old dog" a new trick

Have a great Sunday all!
  • Broccoli slaw does sound very good.
    I did my walk today. My weight is going down. Only a pound, but it went down. I was afraid with the changes I made, my weight would go up, but it didn't.
    I didn't lose much weight, so I'm thinking if I should cut something else out of what I eat or just keep doing what I'm doing. I'm walking more, so maybe I'm gaining some muscle. I guess I'll wait for another month before I start experimenting again.
  • Hi to all
    Jude welcome back!

Laurie thanks for your encouragement. I think I'm finally on the right road. I think the added exercise and journaling will make a nice difference.

Jay- I'm always impressed with your desire to keep mixing up your exercise program to make it more effective.

I went cross country skiing today. The trails were not well groomed so it was extra work, but every bit of exertion helps. We still had a good time looking at the snow covered trees and sunny skies for a change. By the way I'm up north for a long weekend-no snow in southern Michigan.

I hope everyone had a great Valentine. I got a dozen roses and no chocolate from dh, I was so glad. It's nice not having to deal with my favorite chocolate. Have a great President's Day. Lori
  • Hey Lori!

I've never done cross-country skiing, although I thought I might in my younger days. A friend of mine who is only a couple of years younger recently went snowshoeing for the first time and liked it, although it's pretty strenuous from what she said.

She's quite athletic, though--has decided to do the AIDS Ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles. She did it a few years ago, when she was about 50 pounds heavier, and is looking forward to not being at that disadvantage this time.

Jada, I'd say just keep doing what you're doing for now. A person can go crazy trying to constantly adjust the plan to "make" things happen.

This is my third day of eating at a higher calorie level. Yesterday I could barely get through dinner, and for the first time in a long time, I didn't have to fight food cravings in the evening. I didn't eat up to my calorie level for the day because I just... couldn't... As I said, I'm committed to trying this for a month. So far, the scale is going down a bit, but I have learned not to get enthusiastic about that...

Busy day here... Presidents Day or not.

See ya!
    Jay