Active Folks Over 50 -- #21

You're on Page 3 of 9
Go to
  • Lori - The Daily Plate is the other calorie counting website chickies around here use. I ended up getting the software from Calorie King (who also has an online counter) for my PDA. I do still use it, but not daily. I have eased up on my daily journaling. Though, I get right back at it if my weight starts creeping up. I have gotten really good a counting in my head.

Jada - I've had similar issues with shoes too. I swear, it takes me longer to find the proper shoes for my feet than it does to pick out anything else!

It was a busy day today - my computer stopped working in my second office sometime over the weekend. Not a good start to the week. I am so thankful that I have two work spaces!

I did another session with "My Fitness Coach" today - I am really liking the workouts. A tad repetitive with a couple exercises, but otherwise, it is great! My heart rate is in my target zone every time I check it

DH made roasted veggies while I was working out tonight - they are almost done. The smell is incredible! I think I need to go make a pot of tea to go with them

Hope you all had a great day, and have some fun planned for tomorrow!
  • Good Morning all,

I walked to the drug store this morning. Outside! Without my hat and gloves on! I know this weather won't last but it sure is nice right now. Kind of a gentle reminder that yes, spring really will come.

Jada, we all have trigger foods that we can't bring into the house. Mine is corn chips. I can't just eat a few. i will eat them untill I make myself sick. That's and easy fix, I just don't buy them. It's not like i'm depriving anyone of anything, no one needs those empty calories any way. butter pecan ice cream! Love it. Don't buy it!!! I'm the only one that eats it and I can't even lie and say it's for someone else. And it is hard work! but it does get easier, really. so, hang in there girl!

Eveyone, I hope you are enjoying this lovely weather too,

Freda
  • Countingdown, I love roasted veggies too.
    Slim me, It sounded wonderful to be walking in warmer weather. That first day of warmth is always the best.
    I did my walk this morning. It was a great day. I enjoyed admiring the beauty of the snow up on the mountains and was glad it was on the mountains only.
    My focus for the day is to keep a positive attitude about the changes I have to make to eat healthier. I figure if I set a goal for myself, I need to enjoy working towards the goal, or don't set it in the first place, otherwise I'm just being masochistic, which isn't healthy. I have a right to be enthusiastic about my life.
    A good thing that happened yesterday was that I took my son out to a mexican food restaurant for his birthday, and I totally forgot to order my favorite fried ice cream. I didn't think about it until I left the restaurant.
  • Hey folks!

Well, my trainer kicked my butt again... Dear me... It's sure good stuff, though. I read somewhere that older people really need to keep their legs strong. One of the best simple exercises for that is just not to use your hands when you stand up out of a chair. Move to the edge of the chair, though, so you can get your legs under you.

My trainer has me trying that with one leg! I can't do that without using my other leg a bit for support. Yet!

Jada, you're doing so well! I love the thought of looking at snow on the mountains. I grew up in Salt Lake. Here in Fla. there are no mountains at all, and obviously no snow. But, we do have some nice things to look at.

Also, Jada, you'll find ways, as you stick with what your doing, that you can plan ahead and enjoy the foods you like--you just have to rediscover moderation and know what you're getting into. I love Mexican food, too, but one of my tricks in to skip the rice and beans and only order a la carte. There are other tricks as well, like choosing better entrees.

Slim me, butter pecan... I can't have ice cream in the house... usually... except that, you may remember, I was able to forget about the Ben & Jerry's for my partner's birthday until she finished it off! That was a great accomplishment for me! But in general, if I decide I have to have ice cream, I go out and buy some to eat right then and there.

Lori, I'm a FitDay fan myself. And by now, I'm so used to it, I might as well stay with it. I bought the download version.

CD, I hope your computer stuff is straightened out...

Well, time for me to find an ice pack...

Jay
  • Freda - corn chips are one of those foods for DH. We stopped buying them here too. I much prefer broccoli slaw nuts, baby carrots for that "crunch" appeal. Ive been known to season them in strange ways, though

Jay - hope the ice pack did the trick. I'm so proud of you for taking this next step. What an awesome thing! Your consistency and dedication and "up" attitude just inspires me! What a blessing to have you here to be an example for all of us

Jada - on the fried ice cream. I've never had it, but it just SOUNDS like empty calories. Really, if I can pass on one thing to anyone, it is this: successful weight loss is made "one decision at a time". It isn't about the BIG picture. It is about each and every choice. String together enough good choices, and you WILL change your lifestyle. And - a few less than perfect choices - really don't matter, in the scheme of things.

Way too busy today. No boring details, but work is crazy, church obligations are crazy - but my eating is totally normal (meaning healthy). WOW!!! I can't tell you how awesome that is. The "old" me would have used foood as a comfort, reward, pacifier. The new me had to grab a protein bar for dinner since she forgot to eat.

WOW! I really LIKE the new me
  • Thanks for your support Jay. It was good to read that I was doing well. Sometimes I wonder. Believe it or not, I never thought to order a la carte. Thanks for the suggestion. It really added to my awareness of where I'm going wrong. I really think it's great you have a trainer. I would like to do that eventually. It seems like it would help me to keep in good shape. I used to go to 24 hour fitness and enjoyed the comraderie. Have to get back to it.
    Counting Down: I read your Pictorial Journey and your Goal Story. Great writing. I have an obese family too. I have an aunt who had to use two chairs to sit down. Nobody had problems with their knees though. They were always able to walk without a cane. I can relate to your story about what made you decide to do something about your weight. I wasn't able to get into a man's truck. He had to help me. I was so humiliated. It pushed me into taking my weight seriously.
    I did my walk today. My weight is going down. Down two pounds from Feb.1 and one pound from when I started this board. This is where I mess up. When I start to improve, I slack off. Being on this board will help me keep accountable. Hugs to everybody.
  • Jada, thank you for your kind words. It is hard to find the right mix to keep us moving on this journey. But, you are so right. Coming daily to 3FC was a HUGE help for me. There is an accountability thread in the 50+ forum where you can post your daily/weekly progress. I did that during my weight loss and it was helpful to publicly post. It sometimes kept me from straying when I was tempted. Walking is great exercise. It is the staple of my plan when the weather cooperates. I don't like walking outside in the snow and ice, so I move indoors for winter.

Hope everyone is doing well. It has been an intense few days, with lots going on at work, church, and community. I'm hoping for a bit of a slow-down this weekend. I'm researching mp3 players - does anyone have a favorite? Mine bit the dust this week. Ipods are the staple, but the rebel in me wants something else
  • Hey everybody,

Sorry to be so late today--I'm kinda bummed out. My weight has gone up 3 pounds in the last 5 days. Now I know that's not all fat, because I would have had to eat over 10,000 calories beyond my daily burn! And although I did go over my calories, I didn't go THAT far.

But, it's also not all water weight. My scale tells me that.

I like to think that some of it is lean body mass--muscles, bone--but still. 3 pounds???? Must be all that aerobics, step class, and training.

So, I'm pretty grumpy about it, but the thing to do is to get myself in hand here and make sure I stay on track with the food. As long as I do that, I can just watch what the scale does and not freak out.

Jada, stick with what you're doing! It's not enough just to iimprove, although it's good to do that. You want to sustain that effort and drop some more. Yeah, I'm unhappy about that recent gain--although it's probably a fluke--but I'm still down a long ways from my high weight, and I can only be happy about that!

I hope things lighten up for you soon, CD!

Where are all our other active folks? Out there being active, I hope...

Jay

P.S. I like 24 Hour Fitness, too! But we don't have them down here--at least not in my area. My center is like that, but isn't open 24 hours.
  • Jay, I'm really sorry about seeing the 3 pound increase on your scale. I know I should stay positive, but it is such a terrible feeling to see your hard work not show up on the scale. I hope it decreases again soon.
    CountingDown: I posted to the "Accountability Thread." Thanks for telling me about it. Looks good.
    Whoever mentioned the broccoli salad, it sounded real good, so I've been trying to find recipes for one. I'll have to see if the board has any.
  • Hi all,

I worked yesterday, and by the time I got off at 8 it was pouring rain . I got drenched just walkin to the car. It's finally stopped raining, but it rained most of the night and the wind was just howling. I had to sleep on the couch with my little dog. he is so afraid of storms, and we baby him.

Jada, Like Laurie said, it's one decision at a time. and you will get used to it and learn how to eat out without doing a lot of damage. And don't think of not losing weight as a loss. If you are eating right and exercising, you are getting healthier and stronger every day. I hae a great, simple recipe for broccoli salad. I'll send it to you. I have some in the fridge right now. YUM!

Jay, You know if you're doing everything right the 3 pounds will go away. Probably all those new muscles you making! How hot are you going to look this summer!!

Laurie, part of the weight loss/maintenace is taking one day at a time, part of it is planning ahead. If I didn't make a menu for the week I don't know if I would do as well. I like knowing what I'm going to eat every day and not having to make last min. decisions. I kind of make a game of it too.

Hope eveyone is having a great day,

Freda
  • The scale- definitely has a mind of his own . . . he likes to stir things up periodically just to see what kind of reaction he can get. Just ignore his blatherings and keep on doing your best.
  • Hello
    Hi,
    I am new to this site. Just found it browsing. I am over 50 quite abit. I am 61. I feel much younger most of the time. I am striving to live a healthier more active lifestyle. I am planning ,what is for me, a vacation of a lifetime in mid April and want to be in the best shape possible. I want to take advantage of every moment and opportunity. I signed up with a personal trainer when I joined my local health club a few weeks ago. I used my time with him to develop a plan that is right for me and to become well acquinted with the machines I will be using. In the past I have not gotten the trainer and the complimentary intro to the club and machines left much to be desired. I was never sure I was doing things right and no one could be found when I needed help. My frustration usually led to my quiting before I began.
    I now feel that I know what to do in what sequence etc.etc.etc.

I love to travel and since I have lost much of the weight I want to loose I want to get involved in more active travel. This April I will be going to the Galapogus Islands. I have always wanted to do this and I feel if I don't do it now I will get to a point physically where I will no longer be able to do it. Also it is rumored that the powers that be may severly limit the number of tourists if not close part of the Island all together. I have got to see the marine iguanas and the blue footed boobies. Will also snorkel with sea lions. Yeah ! This is why I am trying to get stronger and healthier. My next hurdle is to find hiking boots or shoes that come in narrow widths. I have extremely narrow feet. My head is small and my feet are narrow...don't know what happened to the parts in between. My grandfather would say too much physique too little feet.

I am looking forward to learning about you guys and discovering new adventures.
  • Wow! Soontobe, what a wonderful trip plan!!! The Galapagos is on my trip list, too! Now that is a great motivator--I'm so glad you found a gym where you've learned a process you can use. You've made great progress, I see! And,

Hey Jada, I'm glad to have your comments and commiseration. I guess if there's one thing I've learned on this journey, it's that no matter what happens, don't quit. So--I won't. I'll just have to regroup and see what happens next. Treat it like an experiment.

meowee, yes, I know you are very familiar with the scale-

I went to the grocery store this evening, and the baked goods were calling to me. That's weird, because they don't call me very often. I just noticed that that's what was happening and went on about my business. Got a lot of good, healthy foods that won't blow the plan.

the slim me, you're right--if I stick with the plan, those pounds will go away. I must say I am pretty hot in my bathing suit these days.

CD, I hope you're getting out from under the rush! yikes!

Last night I did not snack in the evening. I thought it would kill me, but it didn't. I think I let that habit just get rather out of hand...

OK, see you all later!

Jay
  • Hi all! Still busy this week, but I think the end is in sight. The presentation to the school superintendents went well, and I'm glad it is done One MAJOR project down. Three more to go.

Jay - much of that COULD be water weight. I find that every time I switch up my exercise and take on something more intense, I do gain 2-4 lbs. With 4-8 days, those extra lbs. are usually starting to disappear. While I know that scale going up is discouraging, keep it up - you are getting more fit, and that is far more important than that pesky scale. If it continues to nag, banish it to the closet for a couple weeks.

Night time snacking has always been an issue for me, so I limit myself to 100 food calories. I usually find that I prefer veggies with Laughing Cow or popcorn since I can eat a lot of food for few calories. DH likes Fiber One (dry) Of course, I have a long standing tradition of about 100-150 calories of "beverage" most evenings. But, I plan for it so it doesn't seem to have hampered my progress.

soontobe WOW, that sounds like a AWESOME trip. Take me! Take me!!!! Active travel was definitely one of my major motivators for losing weight. Our kids like active vacations and I always felt bad turning them down when they asked us along. Now we can keep up with them hiking and skiing and the like I can't wait to hear about your trip. I hope you will post pictures when you get back!

Freda - we got the rain too. It melted most of the snow We have freezing rain tonight February in MI is a pain!

Jada - I don't have a broccoli salad recipe, so if you find one, post it

I did order a new mp3 player to replace my broken one. It shipped today I'm in serious audio book withdrawl right now.

Jay mentioned bathing suits. Does anyone have a favorite brand or place to find one. I don't have one that fits right now, and I'm less than thrilled with what is on the rack at Wal-Mart and Meijer. I haven't checked out JCP yet, but those are the only stores we have here that have them. Tankinis seem to be really popular, but I don't see myself in one. A nice one piece that covers EVERYTHING would be a nice find.
  • meowee: Using a picture of the devil for a scale was too funny. I laugh everytime I look at it. Too cute.
    Welcome soontobelessofme: I'm new to the board too. Welcome!!! I've wanted to go to the G. Islands for a long time. I look forward to hearing how you enjoyed yourself. I was quite a traveler in my young days, so there's not too many places left for me to see that I want to see, but I still haven't been to London, so I guess that will be my next trip in a few years.
    the slim me: It was so cute picturing you cuddling your little dog through a bad storm. Congrats on losing so much weight.
    Jay: I liked how you said to regroup. It made me think that I, too, need to stop and take a deep breath sometimes to take a look at what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong, and then move forward again. Sometimes I may not even be doing anything wrong, but just need to be creative to keep things interesting.
    CountingDown: Congratulations on your presentation. Very impressive. I have a problem with night time snacking too. Right now I'm trying to resolve it by eating six small meals a day. For my last meal of the evening I fix eggs and applesauce. So far it's working. I also do some exercises because it tires me out so I'll sleep instead of think of food.