Getting Lighter #1--2009

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • Sunny and cold today and I spent most of the day out and about. Tonight we get a bunch more snow; tomorrow, it's supposed to rain a lot; tomorrow night , a major deep freeze moves in. Should be a lot of fun by Thursday morning.
  • Current weather . . . yucky and getting yuckier . . .
  • We got a real snowstorm today but it didn't last too long. Started around 11 am and by 4 pm it was all over. The plow has been by so our street is cleaned so I expect all the main roads in town are done. School was cancelled so DH was home all day. Didn't get any exercise done today but I'm going to do it after supper. DH is going out and mom will be occupied watching the news. Food intake has been good so far today, also.
  • Hi Girls,
    I contemplated dropping out of 3fc because I am so busy and was getting inconsistent. And, I was spending too much time here for the amount of work I have to do. My husband was starting to call 3fc my "boyfriend". He resented the amount of time I wasn't giving him. But, I missed you ladies and felt that it was wrong to just bail out after starting a support relationship. So, I am coming back and I will try to have some balance. I am not going to do anymore of the long challenges. It is too hard to keep up with the posting and reading all those posts took too much of my time. I am glad this is a small thread that I can keep up with. My apologies for being absent for so long.

I also gained over the holidays and I tend to deny and hide when that happens. I have a lot of shame around my weight and when I gain, I have to be able to own up and talk about it to get back on track. I gained four pounds, but it would have been more if I had not been so active over the holidays. I fell back into some bad eating habits, which I have had to move myself away from.

My husband and I went to see our in-laws in L.A. and then we went to San Diego for a few day...just the two of us! Our 16 year old son decided he wanted to stay home with his older brother, who was down from Portland visiting. So, for the first time in 21 years, we had a vacation alone, together. We did a lot of food sampling and drinking, which I do not ordinarily do. I came home wanting carbs, rich food and for the party to go on and on.

Isabella-Don't despair over those extra pounds...they are already coming off! At least you caught yourself and you are back on track. The only road to success is to keep on trying! You know the average American gains five pounds over the holidays? The holidays account for a large part of the obesity problem in this country. We don't lose them and they pack on. So, catching yourself and getting those pounds off is the way to keep from packing them on!

Donna-Your wellness program sounds like a good deal. Keep us posted on how that is going! And, a new baby soon? When will this event happen? I am glad you are back, too. I like our little group.

Meowee-I hope you are staying warm and cozy through all of those storms. We had a snowy Christmas day. Big, soft flakes falling and then melting. But it sure was pretty and peaceful.

I am going to come back here daily and post something positive that I have done diet wise.

For today...I bought myself a nalgeen bottle so I can take water to work. I hated buying individual bottles of water because of the plastic problem, so now I have a bottle that I will fill daily. The water at school tastes awful and I think its because the pipes are old. I have always been afraid to drink it. Now, I can bring 32 ounces of water to work and will be more likely to drink my quota of water per day.

Have a great day!

Sheri
  • Hi Sheri . Glad you've come back. I know I spend way too much time on 3FC, at least some days I do. I'm home, retired and unable to get out much with taking care of mom so this is also a diversion for me at times. My DH has accused me of having an affair the the computer, too, ha, ha. Some affair!! Anyhoo, you come back for a few minutes every day and it will help keep you accountable.

I finally got in another jog today (inside) and did some push-ups. I think I'm slowly getting back to my regular exercise regime.

It's cold here but not like the western provinces. Brrrr -49 degrees celsius with the wind chill out there. It was -11 C here today but the windchill this morning was -25 C and that's more than cold enough for me. I was out this evening getting a few groceries and my feet are just getting warm again. I had on winter boots and heavy socks but my toes still got cold.

Take care all.
  • Thanks for the welcome back, Isabella, I really missed all of you here. I really envy your leisure time, but I also remeber when my kids were little and I was not working...sometimes the days seemed to stretch on forever.
    I got started late with my career. I went back to college at the age of 45, so I have not been working as a teacher for very long. Six years now. I wish I had started earlier; I am really tired at the end of the day these days. I think about you being retired with envy, but a good, happy for you kind of envy!

There is so much stress going on at school. Here in the states, because the economy is so bad, we are all worried about our jobs. The superintendent is starting to say that the state is getting stingier and stingier about releasing money and in California, one of the budget cuts proposed is to begin closing down schools! Our school is so tiny, that I could see it being closed and the students bussed to nearby schools. It is scarey, indeed. I worked so hard to get my degree, credentials and advanced degree. I still owe money on student loans! I am trying not to loose sleep over it, but it is worrisome.

Well, speaking of sleep. I am off to bed. I have been reading, "You Staying Young." Did you know one of the most certain ways to increase longevity is to consistently get enough sleep over a life time? I certainly did some serious damage to that when I was younger. And, sleeplessness is also tied to obesity. So, the good thing I am doing for myself weight wise is to try to get better sleep, consistently. I am off to take a melatonin, drink my last portion of water, and go to bed.

Tomorrow, I am off to the Oregon house until Monday evening, but I will be back then.
    Stay warm and dry!
    Happy Days!
    Sheri
  • We warmed up to a balmy -25C / -10F (no wind chill included) by mid afternoon today. At least it was sunny

Have fun and stay warm everybody.
  • I finally really got my new exercise bike. I love it because it's so quiet. I've been on it twice since Sunday so this will work out really well. It's in the living room so I can watch tv and not notice how boring it is riding to nowhere.

Meowee, we got rain today. Our weather seems to be following yours.
  • Hi everyone, Sheri it is so good to have you back and Meowee it is good to hear from you again. I have trouble getting here as often as I would like to too. Glad we are holding strong. I agree with Sheri that we are small enough to make it easy to keep up even if we do miss a week or so.
    You gals up there in Canada have really had quite a winter. We did get that blast of cold air but we haven't had much snow right here. Now today it is almost 40 F but no wind finally. We are supposed to get cold again this weekend and then a possiblity of snow early next week, but that is a ways off, by the time it gets here we will have a new forecast!!
    Isabella I'm glad you finally got that new bike. Hope it helps to have it in front of the television, it does get boring riding off to nowhere.
    Sheri I like your idea of posting just one positive thing that you did for your diet or exercise program daily. Sounds like that could be of help. We all need more positive talk from ourselves.I sure hope that you don't lose your school there. I know the economy is hurting all of us in this country. We have been pretty lucky,at least in our little town. We have 3 major factories and 2 of them are related to the auto industry but luckily right now anyway they are only cutting some hours or giving them extra days off. It doesn't help their pocketbooks any but at least they still have jobs. Sure hope this doesn't go on too much longer or our whole country will be in the dumpster.
    Meowee hope we hear from you on how things are with you.

Well today is an exciting day for the US. We inaugerate a new president. Don't know if it will be good or bad but time will tell. Sure hope that he can get our economy turned around and back on the right track.

My positive for today is that I walked on the treadmill and did the bike and I had a tossed salad and a few Triscuit crackers for lunch.
    Until next time,Keep On Keepin On, DONNA

• Our weather is pretty much back to seasonal levels and , of course, no sun has been sighted around my little hunk of NS today. Hopefully it will show up tomorrow.
  • Hello my friends. I've been tired and busy at the same time this week, ha, ha. Not a good combination. I lost 2 pounds at my weigh in this morning so I'm pumped. Nothing like success to breed more success.

Tonight we're attending my friend's daughter's post-wedding reception. I made and decorated the wedding cake all in one day (Thursday) and I'm suffering from lack of sleep. Last night I fell into bed around 11:30 and slept until 3 am when mom called me up and then I was back in bed until almost 8:30. I think that's one of the longer nights I've had in a while.

I didn't get in all my exercise this week due to being tired and so busy with the cake and other reception related things I was doing for my friend. This coming week should be back to my normal routine so I'll get in plenty of exercise for sure.

Catch you all later.
  • Gorgeous and sunny, but cold, morning here and my back definitely feels better for it. Yesterday it was above freezing and very damp and my SI area was really unhappy.

Hope the weather is good to everybody else.
  • Must get up and move. Must get up and move. Must get up and move.

I'm trying to psych myself up to actually getting something done today. I think it's the winter that does this to me. I'm so happy to see the evenings get a little longer. It's still daylight after 5 pm so things are starting to brighten up in the evenings. Today we have a beautiful, freezing cold, sunny day with hardly a cloud in the sky.

Now what to get DH for lunch? Something quick with no major cooking involved. Peanut butter and jam sandwiches might just fill the bill today. Fortunately, he love pb&j and wouldn't turn them down at any meal. I've got a frig full of left-overs but not enough of anything to make a meal on so maybe we'll all have something different.

Catch you all later when I have more motivation to get off the couch!
  • Today is almost an instant replay of yesterday -- very cold and sunny. This is unusual for us in northeastern NS where our normal high at this time of year is a lot warmer than today's -20C/-4F.

Good luck for a great Monday for evderybody.
  • Hello people. Another cold sunny day here. I walked to the church this morning to pick up a few items and I thought my brain would freeze. It's only 100 meters from my house but my hands were full and I couldn't pull up my hood and the wind was blowing right in my face. Brrrr.

Today, when I get on my bike, will make 3 days in a row. Finally some structure and scheduling to my exercise. Now if I can get back to jogging and the circuit workout.