Old 01-12-2009, 10:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/169/145

Height: 5'5"

Red face Does anybody know how to lose the tummy?

I am new here (just joined tonight) and am 50 and carry most all of my weight in my stomach. I lost 65 lbs about four years ago and my tummy didn't really go away. I did gain most of it back but now have lost 35 lbs (again). My tummy still hasn't gone away like I want it to. On the Biggest Loser they somehow get their tummies to go away and I would like to know how. I still have about 30 lbs to lose so maybe it would shrink when I get this lost but I was just wondering if anyone knows how to get it to shrink. Thanks !

Last edited by Mama Blake; 01-12-2009 at 10:49 PM.
Mama Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:13 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/173.5/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Blake View Post
I am new here (just joined tonight) and am 50 and carry most all of my weight in my stomach. I lost 65 lbs about four years ago and my tummy didn't really go away. I did gain most of it back but now have lost 35 lbs (again). My tummy still hasn't gone away like I want it to. On the Biggest Loser they somehow get their tummies to go away and I would like to know how. I still have about 30 lbs to lose so maybe it would shrink when I get this lost but I was just wondering if anyone knows how to get it to shrink. Thanks !
Hi Mama Blake:

I'd like the know the answer to this! I've got the tummy-thing happening, too, and if I can lose what I want to lose, I figure there'll be a whole lotta shakin' goin' on, around the belly area! And I hate crunches. Has anyone here tried that "Crunchless Abs" workout?

farmgirl
nyfarmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:24 PM   #3  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Sorry . . . no answer here . . . if you ever find one girls, the rest of us are looking forward to hearing about it.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

A lot of times the tummy goes down last. It's often those last 10 pounds that make the difference. Hang in there
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 214/Ticker/130

Height: 5' 5.5", age 59

No matter how thin I was, I never had a flat stomach...it's just the way I'm built, so unless you were flat there before, don't expect too much. If you are trying to lose it in the stomach though, check out the Mufa diet (flat belly diet)...maybe it works...I don't really know, but it's supposed to focus a lot of attention on the belly fat. And maybe it is the stress and not eating the right foods (the mufas) that make us gain there and hang onto it...I don't know.

If anyone is doing the flat belly diet and has some really good results in the belly area, not just over-all...I'd really like to hear about your successes.

My family all tends to put on weight in the stomach and I'd really like to share any worthwhile tips with them that really work.
recidivist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:43 AM   #6  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Unfortunately, our bodies have their favorite places where fat likes to stick. For me, it has always been hips & thighs -- but since I hit my 40's, it seems to want to hang on a bit around the middle too, and having been stretched out with 2 babies is a factor too. If you are naturally an apple, then, well -- first on, last to go, and getting older doesn't help!

As far as I know, you can't really spot-reduce, all you can do is continue to work on overall fat loss and you will lose in the tummy region along with everything else. Working on toning the core will help to "hold it in" better -- Pilates is great for that.

That's all I can offer!

P.S. Sorry, have been lurking here, 49 now but will turn 50 in the fall!

Last edited by MBN; 01-14-2009 at 08:44 AM. Reason: add PS
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:31 PM   #7  

Height: 5'8

wish it was a tummy not a truck tire
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:08 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

I use large black shirts .
ladyinweighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:48 PM   #9  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

OK, sorta - maybe.
While I will never have a "flat" tummy (goal pics certainly prove this) - I never did - even as a teen. I have found that following a modified (Sonoma, Mediterranean, Flat-Belly Diet) type way of eating AND exercising regularly has re-shaped my body and I have an hourglass figure again (as opposed to the barrel I was before).

I do think that there is something to the concept of incorporating healthy fats (MUFAs), whole foods and exercising regularly.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:13 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 225/169/145

Thanks everyone for your replies. It sounds like a lot of us are in the same boat.

ladyinweighting - I really liked your answer. I think I will use your idea (even though I already use it).
Mama Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:58 PM   #11  
~~~~~~~~~~

S/C/G: 210/207/140

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Hi. Am not really sure if this works or not, because I haven't stuck with it long enough to make it a long-term habit, but I read that the "best" tummy-tightening exercise is simply to suck in your gut!

Every time you think about it throughout the day, suck in your tummy, and continue breathing and continue whatever your usual activities are.

Of course after a few moments, you'll forget and relax. And that's normal. Just whenever you think of it, suck it in again and continue doing whatever.

My actual waist "line" is not the main problem -- it's the "poochy" area below the waist that is jiggly and "fluffy". Supposedly that's what they mean by "abdominal" fat? And hopefully it'll get better with healthier diet and losing weight and getting more exercise in general. (I hope!!!)
Sissy2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:26 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 180/173.5/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissy2009 View Post
Hi. Am not really sure if this works or not, because I haven't stuck with it long enough to make it a long-term habit, but I read that the "best" tummy-tightening exercise is simply to suck in your gut!

Every time you think about it throughout the day, suck in your tummy, and continue breathing and continue whatever your usual activities are.

Of course after a few moments, you'll forget and relax. And that's normal. Just whenever you think of it, suck it in again and continue doing whatever.

My actual waist "line" is not the main problem -- it's the "poochy" area below the waist that is jiggly and "fluffy". Supposedly that's what they mean by "abdominal" fat? And hopefully it'll get better with healthier diet and losing weight and getting more exercise in general. (I hope!!!)

I did this for years, and it does help a lot to strengthen your tummy muscles. Mine would probably be a lot looser if I hadn't sucked it in all the time for so long.

I haver the same problem as you, Sissy. It's not my waist but the poochy thing happening below. It does go down with weight loss but I doubt it'll ever go completely away or tighten to this nice flat belly. Certainly not enough for me to get my navel pierced, LOL.

farmgirl
nyfarmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:34 PM   #13  

I've heard that isometeric's works well ( holding in stomach tightly for 10 seconds release and back to ten count again for a week)..then start holding in for a 15 or 20 count until you build up to where you can practically hold in your stomach all day! It works if you keep doing it.

If your stomach is large and you have a little 'overhang' like an apron' the best I found was walking taking L~O~N~G strides...you know you are doing it right when you can feel the 'pull' at the hip bones.

I bought a 'wrap for my tummy...it wraps around my back and stomach and I velcro it on the side..it makes the tummy SWEAT ( some say it doesn't work because its water weight and a glass of water will put it back on..I beg to differ because I could swear that I lost at least a 1/2 inch off my stomach when I wore the wrap everyday for a week.

The wrap is made of some type of a rubber foam rubber.

IF you have the 'apron and you have the wrap make sure that your wrap goes under the fat because that area needs to sweat too~

Good Luck~ I let myself go due to illness and a very sudden family loss so I just went to pieces..I'm starting again..

Good Luck to All of us~

Be Well.

ASoutherner~

OH- While hold your tummy in hard and counting PLEASE CONTINUE TO BREATHE LIKE NORMAL..DO NOT HOLD YOUR BREATH...breath e like usual..it takes a little doing to hold tummy in, count and breathe like usual but its easy

Last edited by ASoutherner; 02-02-2009 at 04:44 PM.
ASoutherner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:40 PM   #14  

OH...When you hold your tummy in hard for the counts REMEMBER TO CONTINUE TO BREATHE AS USUAL...DON'T HOLD YOU BREATH WHILE COUNTING...this is the important part...being able to breathe while holding in...soon you'll be doing this with no problems at all

ASoutherner~
ASoutherner is offline   Reply With Quote