Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 10:15 AM   #61  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning!
Not anything exciting going on here today, DH is just leaving for deer hunting. We have the tile torn up from our bathroom floor and carpet from hall way, what a mess. We still have to tear up the carpeting in both bedrooms, as Home Depot will be doing it all in 2-3 days. They still haven't given us a date, it better be soon, We have to put everything (beds, dressers, in the living/dining room until it's finished.
I posted a new recipe that sounds good, check it out.
Have a good one!

Karen...I purchased some after holiday candy corn too, Wal*Mart for .59 cents.

Quote:
Can you tell I got the candy on after holiday sale?
Old 11-14-2008, 11:14 AM   #62  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Good Morning . . .

KAREN . . . if Dash is anything like my cats (cats are sooooo hard to pill it's incredible because food bribes do not work on them), you will find the injections are much easier. Jazz (bless his little heart) was not too bad with pills (as cats go), but he hardly even bothered to blink over his twice daily insulin injections.

Well . . . yesterday's mall-crawl included Chinese for lunch . . . good choices were made and the calorie count didn't get too bad, but the salt certainly did me in. I know it's only temporary, but that doesn't mean I like it. Today will be OP and will include the guzzling of much water.

We actually saw a little "thick and slightly white" rain yesterday. Today (so far) it is sunny and the temperatures are on the rise again. The forecast for the weekend is calling for lots of rain though and the temperature on Sunday is predicted to actualy get up to 20C/68F -- This is getting downright

Nothing big in my plans anyway, but guess I'd better get out and about today if I need anything. I prefer colder and sunny to warmer and raining.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:33 AM   #63  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

This explains things!!!

Stock Market Fundamentals...now I have a better understanding...

Once upon a time in a place overrun with monkeys, a man appeared and announced to the villagers that he would buy monkeys for $10 each. The villagers, seeing that there were many monkeys around, went out to the forest, and started catching them.

The man bought thousands at $10 and as supply started to diminish, they became harder to catch, so the villagers stopped their effort.

The man then announced that he would now pay $20 for each one. This renewed the efforts of the villagers and they started catching monkeys again. But soon the supply diminished even further and they were ever harder to catch, so people started going back to their farms and forgot about monkey catching.

The man increased his price to $25 each and the supply of monkeys became so sparse that it was an effort to even see a monkey, much less catch one.

The man now announced that he would buy monkeys for $50! However, since he had to go to the city on some business, his assistant would now buy on his behalf.

While the man was away the assistant told the villagers. 'Look at all these monkeys in the big cage that the man has bought. I will sell them to you at $35 each and when the man returns from the city, you can sell them to him for $50 each.'

The villagers rounded up all their savings and bought all the monkeys. They never saw the man nor his assistant again and once again there were monkeys everywhere.

Now you have a better understanding of how the stock market works.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:32 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Hey....Just had to tell you all that the shuttle launch was unbelieveable. I kept saying WOW.......The clouds just light up the sky and magnified the colors.....we first saw it coming up thru the pine trees and it looked like the tree was burning! Then This hugh path of bright flames rocketed into view....WOW.....For a few seconds it looked like it was heading towards us. Even after the ball started to disappear in the clouds the clouds stayed glowing...WOW...Karen3
Old 11-15-2008, 08:46 AM   #65  
Bobbi

Good Saturday Morning!
Thanks Karen, I was thinking of you last night when I saw the news.
That must have been an awesome sight, thanks for sharing.
To all Golden Girls:

It's so important to meticulously keep your food logs, this is one of the reasons my weight dropped off so fast. I recorded everything that went into my mouth, usually I had the scale set at grams. Don't think of the week end as an excuse to eat extra or quit writing down your foods. Your body doesn't know it's Sat/Sun, get your mind around that. I'll get off my soap box now have a great Saturday and Sunday.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 11-15-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:17 AM   #66  
Bobbi

Quote:
Conquering your eating patterns through action
Each time you overcome an obstacle, like chocolate cake or getting out to exercise, you gain confidence. Every small victory helps you feel more certain of yourself and your direction, pushing you further and faster than you ever thought possible. You can do it! What's holding you back? True, getting on the scale can be intimidating. Believe in yourself and go on your own personal mission today and just to see what happens. If you can't talk yourself past the "point of no return", get a friend to help. In the end, half of the doing is in the deciding. Get your mind set to win the victory that you deserve.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:32 AM   #67  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning gang . . .
Old 11-16-2008, 11:27 AM   #68  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Morning all....Finally turned a/c off yesterday. A front came thru and it dropped from 84 to 59 in 20 minutes. No rain just the wind changed and saying now possible frost tonight. We have been notified of a 23% increase in our electric bills so the power company can build another nuke plant. Need another plant because there are so many new customers, but no one is building new houses so what new customers??? Besides they are taking the money from us now and they don't even have all the permits to build another plant....and you know what government regualators are like.....be years before they start building. But our local government is expecting hugh influx of workers and cash.....It will happen but in 8-10 years and that is a long time waiting. Mean while I get to pay a bunch....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....guess you can tell I just finished the Sunday paper hence my rant!

I have the perfect plan for eating OP at Thanksgiving. I am cooking what everyone else likes not my favorite foods. So will have a dab on my plate but just to stir around....Even make a SF apple pie for DH which doesn't call my name....The only thing not OP will be the cold turkey sandwich on cheap white bread at 12M. That is the perfect ending to the holiday!

Off to do my weekly shopping...gonna direct again friday. Think I'll do Thanksgiving food. Even stuff celery with peanut butter. Ideas anyone?
Hugs, Karen3
Old 11-16-2008, 12:24 PM   #69  
Bobbi

Karen3...It's too late for you to get a shipment of PB2, I just re-order 4 more jars plus a new flavor, Chocolate Peanut Butter. I've been eating it on celery sticks and it's awesome. Are these goodies suppose to be low calories? If not you could mix chopped pimento olives, shredded dried beef and FF cream cheese, smear on celery. Or take your favorite cheese ball recipe and spread on the celery sticks. The pimento in the olives make the celery sticks look very festive.

Quote:
Even stuff celery with peanut butter. Ideas anyone?
Hugs, Karen3
Old 11-16-2008, 02:28 PM   #70  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Hello Golden Girls. I'm not with it today. Was up way too late last night working on the songs and carols for our church Christmas program. We've left it too late this year so we're doing our favorite pieces from the last 12 years so it will mainly be a refresher for most of us but we still have to practice. I'm getting too old to do more than one thing at a time (or I feel like that today). I was up until 3 am but didn't realize it til I looked up at the clock. But the program is tentatively arranged and all the songs are ready to go. Now I've got to dig out the music and make sure everything is in order. The program is on Dec 13 and our church Christmas dinner is on the next weekend and then we leave for DS's place for a rest of 4 or 5 days and then back home again to plan a baby shower for DDIL.

I do the church bulletin and I made the blooper of the year. Just read this announcement and see if you can find the mistake.

Christmas Choir practice starts this afternoon at 2:30 PM. If you can sin, hum or play a musical instrument we need you. Come and join us for our annual Christmas program.

Oh, well I guess that qualifies everyone to join our choir.

Have a good day. I'm going to try and get my rear in gear and do some exercises before it's time to go back to bed tonight.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:12 PM   #71  
Onward and Downward

Wow . . . I love that little slip . . . most people do not need to practice sinning though.

It is so windy today, all my cats are in 'hide under a bed' mode because all the windows are rattling. It is definitely warm though and the rain has not been as heavy as originally predicted. the wind seems to be moving around to the North and that should blow all this 21C/70F weather on it's way back down south pretty quickly.

Have a great rest of the day, gang . . .
Old 11-17-2008, 09:23 AM   #72  
Bobbi

Happy Monday morning girls, looks like our Golden Girls group is dwindling?

Quote:
How to Stop Sugar Cravings

Pull Your Sweet Tooth with These Tips
-- By Holly Little, Certified Personal Trainer
Do you feel like you're constantly giving in to your sweet tooth? Are your cravings so constant that they're hard to ignore? Like any other habit, turning to sugar can be a tough one to kick. It seems like the more sweets and desserts you have, the more you are waiting for the next hit. Where does the battle end?

There isn't a single cure-all to this problem, but in general, the less sweets you eat, the less you'll crave them. So how do you get to that point? Here are a few tips that just might help you pull your own sweet tooth once and for all.
  • Try to find a substitute. Generally, people tend to crave sweets after a meal or as a pick-me-up in the late afternoon. It might be helpful to have something else there and ready to fight off those cravings. For example, peppermint tea might work in the evening, a box of raisins in the afternoon, a piece of fruit, or anything else that you can think of that would be somewhat nutritious and easy to keep with you. If you must have "sweet," go with something that's naturally sweet, such as dried fruit or even 100% fruit juice.
  • Wait out the craving. Most nutrition experts say that the cravings you experience will only last a couple of minutes.Haha...I find that hard to believe! So if you can wait it out, they will pass and you will be better for it. Try to occupy yourself for a good 10 minutes when you get a craving. Call a friend, take a short walk or do something to distract yourself.
  • Set daily goals and reward yourself for meeting them. To a sugar addict, nothing is tougher than getting through the day without a sugary treat. The longer you can hold out, the easier it will become, so try to find a reward that would be worth holding out for. I did this about a year ago and gave myself a dollar for every day that I did not indulge in sweets, and at the end of the month, I would go get a manicure or buy myself something nice.This is the personal trainer talking, not me. But I think it's a fantastic idea, put a covered glass jar on the counter and make a point of decorating it or the lid with some festive Holiday stickers/gift wrap paper/ ribbons,or you can hot glue silk flowers to the lid. You can look at it every day and see your reward multipling and your sweet tooth craving diminish!
  • Recruit someone to do it with you. If you are married or have a family, this would be a healthy habit for everyone to adopt. Clean out the cupboards and refrigerator of unhealthy foods and tempting treats. Make it a team effort. Hold each other accountable and support one another through the tough times.
  • Put yourself in good situations. If you are one who loves to use the vending machines at work or will drive through the local gas station to fill up on snacks, then try to do things in a new way to prevent yourself from falling into old habits. Clean out all of the change and single dollar bills in your wallet so you aren't able to feed the vending machine. Make sure you fill up on gas when someone is with you. Go grocery shopping after a meal, so you don’t load up on unhealthy foods.
As hard as it might be to believe, you CAN quit the sugar habit. Not only will you probably lose some weight, but you will feel better and more energetic. Good luck!
Old 11-17-2008, 10:21 AM   #73  
Isabella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen3 View Post
Hey....Just had to tell you all that the shuttle launch was unbelieveable. I kept saying WOW.......The clouds just light up the sky and magnified the colors.....we first saw it coming up thru the pine trees and it looked like the tree was burning! Then This hugh path of bright flames rocketed into view....WOW.....For a few seconds it looked like it was heading towards us. Even after the ball started to disappear in the clouds the clouds stayed glowing...WOW...Karen3
Wow, that's impressive. I would love to be able to say I saw a shuttle launch.

Good morning everyone. I've got a busy day ahead of me picking out the music for the "sinners" to sing with tonight. We've got our first practice with music tonight and I believe I've got at least half if not more of the music so I've got to dig all that out and get it organized.

We've got a nice day here. Still windy but nothing compared to last night's howling winds that shook the foundations of the house (or it seemed). I believe we got Meowee's Sunday's wind. If we had cats they'd have been hiding under beds last night.

Great suggestions there, Bobbi. Maybe I could pay myself to stay away from my food temptations.

Must get the pot out and make some pea soup for lunch. DH will be back soon enough looking for his dinner. The peas are already cooked so just to put the vegetables in with them, season, cook and eat.

Have a great day, everyone.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:38 PM   #74  

Height: 5' 8"

Hi all

I am so totally out of it today. I just read all the posts I missed over the weekend but now don't remember a word anybody said. Today is my 3rd day smoke free and I was beginning to worry a little about feeling so odd but found a website that describes nicotine withdrawal symptoms - seems I am just being normal after all. But I feel so out of it I'm even a little nervous about driving - and I have an interview this afternoon, sure hope I don't make a fool of myself! Physical symptoms are bizarre and I ate myself into oblivion yesterday Man, I hope this doesn't last too much longer! I can honestly say that (at least at this point) I really don't want to light a cigarette to make them go away but I sure hope they go away soon! And I've got to make sure I stick like glue to my eating and logging my food so I don't end up back where I started weight wise. Yesterday was the first day in almost a year that I actually binged on carby stuff, and kept right on eating even after I was totally full. Gotta make sure that even if I can't focus on another thing, I stay focused on my food control!!!!
Old 11-17-2008, 05:19 PM   #75  
Isabella

Dear Yoyo, we're all cheering you on. That is one of the best things you can do for yourself. Come and post often if it helps.
Closed Thread