Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 03:53 PM   #16  
Day at a Time

S/C/G: 242/222/140

Height: 5'2"

I am in a much better mood today. It is nice to be connected and this site is good for that. I have looked into the Food Addicts diet and am going to start that today. I am not looking forward to the sugar withdrawal but there is only one way to do it and that is do it. I can feel the headache coming on already lol! If anyone wants the link let me know. Hope you are all having a good Sunday. I am off to grocery shop and now that is work....J
Old 10-05-2008, 08:14 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

We had Rattus Norvegicus living with us in Seattle. I had forgotten about that. Those guys are really brazen. The landlord poisoned them and let me tell you, they stink to high heaven when the die inside some place where you can't find them.

Right now, we have lizzards. The cats catch them outside, bring them inside and they escape...
Old 10-05-2008, 09:09 PM   #18  
Simply Filling Technique

I have been very sporadic in posting here. For awhile I "lived" over on the South Beach but I have decided that I need to broaden my horizons more....that's just not for butts, y'know.

JayEll, totally relate. Don't you live in Florida? I thought, I remembered that. Anyhoo, in 2006 we had live rats in our last apartment. I noticed fresh fruit, which I had kept in a bowl on the dining table, with bite marks. I would also hear things in our a/c vents as well. Well, to make a long story short, I persisted with reporting all of this to our landlords, the local health department etc. I took pictures of dead ones that were being killed by a neighbor's cat. I work from home so I was absolutely stressed by all of this. Well, one did end up dying within the ventialition system and it is gross to smell. Unfortunately, once they are poisoned there is nothing the pest control people can do about where they decide to drop and die.

I thought that "traumatic time" (well, it was to me!) was behind us. Then, this past June after a horrific lightning storm that directly hit and fried my computer also ended up bringing in a huge rat into my newly renovated apartment. I was sitting at the dining table readind a diet cookbook waiting for my allergy meds to kick in at 11 pm when it scurried past me. I screamed so loud that i don't know how the next county didn't hear me. I awoke my DH and I told him I couldn't go back to sleep.

What upset me the most is how blase everyone was. I called 911 who gave me the phone number of pest control who left their VM on. My maintenance people came and sealed up what they thought might be points of entry for it although they claimed it came in from the a/c vents. (I have louvered doors which are permanently half open as part of their design on the furnace room). My leasing office manager's response? They are looking for water. (We have been in a state wide drought in GA for the past couple of years).

I am still not happy about how this could be happening in a very upscale part of this city in newly remodeled apartments. I am not happy about how everyone seems to make this seem to be "business as usual". Everything in this apartment is brand new and I am a good housekeeper.

I empathize with you 1000%. I hope you can get rid of these asap. I just hope I never see another one. I won't even put bird feeders on my open porch for fear of attracting the wrong species.

i feel this is no way for a civilized person to live.

That's my soap box for tonight.

Last edited by pamatga; 10-05-2008 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:29 PM   #19  
Day at a Time

We are not allowed bird feeder at all. Rats love them. Just got home from grocery shopping. Got my foods for the Food Plan. There is lots to eat just nothing with sugar in it. OMG I will have such a headache tomorrow. I am going to the gym in the am so maybe that will help. And tylenol.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:44 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Not that I want to encourage you to take up a new bad habit, hijude, but would it help to have a cup of coffee when you get a headache? That always helps me. Especially if I am having a coffee withdrawal headache.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:54 AM   #21  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hi folks,

Pamatga, yes, I live in Florida. Sorry to hear about your experience with the rats. Poison is definitely the wrong idea. Also, I don't think a lightning strike would have anything to do with rats--it was probably just coincidence. Maybe it scared the rat and made it come out of its hiding place.

Rats live everywhere, and they were in most places before people were. We have both kinds in Fla., but the kind in my house are Rattus rattus, the "native" ones, not Rattus norvegicus.

I've heard no noise for a couple of nights. I hope the "rat man" comes back today to check the trap. After that, he is supposed to seal up the holes where they have gotten in, then make sure the wire mesh is all in place, and we should be good after that.

How is everyone getting along with the economic uproar? It's affecting my retirement fund, but not much else at the moment.

I've got a chiropractor appointment today--just some "minor adjustments."

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 10-06-2008 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:46 PM   #22  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Wowee . . . one of those days where time seems to be moving along at an extraordinary clip -- don't know just what I've done with the day so far, but it's almost 2 pm here.

BTW -- for any of you involved in the current Accountability Thread for October, please have a little glance at the note I've added to the introduction post -- if you change your mind about participating, please delete your post.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:10 PM   #23  
Day at a Time

Default Coffee?

Well I have quit smoking years ago and quit coffee about 2 years ago. Now I am trying to quit the sugar. This is my first day and it is not easy. I am not hungry just would love something sweet. I have been telling myself that it will be just like the cigarettes one day. I would never pick one up now. Just a matter of time.
I could walk around this office and probably pick up a whole bag of chocolate. It is Halloween but I have to learn to live with this sugar thing.
Eventually I hope. Wish me luck. I have next week off so that will be easier. It is nice to be able to check into the sites during the day. Helps my will power.
Cheers....Jude
Old 10-06-2008, 11:26 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 225/223/150

Height: 5'5''

Hi Everyone, Sorry that I've been missing. I've been really busy at work and finishing work at night.

Jay I hope your rat problem is resolved soon. Your sure have been through a lot. I'm still struggling- not losing. I'm going to try the weight watcher program again, and see if I start to see a loss. I'm still exercising, but the weight just doesn't want to budge. I've been under a lot of stress and making some poor choices. Tomorrow is a new day.

Have a great day.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:42 AM   #25  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Good Morning . . .

Although that is a bit of a fib -- our glorious weather is taking a vacation today -- it's raining and only supposed to get to about 5 or 6 (low 40s F). Will have to do some serious moving and shaking just to keep warm.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:43 PM   #26  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I'm back - sorry for being out-of-touch so long. I will catch up later.

My step-father took a turn for the worse, and while I was in transit to TN, he passed away. Thus, I have been dealing with family stuff for the last 9 days.

But, I'm back home now (with Internet connection again) and trying to get caught up with things.

Laurie
Old 10-07-2008, 06:12 PM   #27  
Day at a Time

Default Sorry for Your Loss

Sorry to hear about the loss of your father in law. I am sure this is a trying time for both of you.
I wanted to thank you for your email and your story and pictures. It has helped me turn around and start going in the other direction again.
You are quite the woman and I am glad to have met you.
Thinking of you .....Jude
Old 10-07-2008, 07:12 PM   #28  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Laurie, I'm so sorry. Glad to have you back with us again.

flowingair, I hear good things about WW--sounds like a good plan to try it again.

hijude, I do wish you luck! And success!

meowee, surely a little rain won't bother you!

The "rat man" came today and removed another dead rat--but we still have some odor under the house, which I hope is going to dissipate now that that one is gone. At least I can sleep at night! Haven't heard any noise in days.

I sent back that electromagnetic device I bought to repel the rats. The company says they'll give me a full refund. I hope so! It would have saved me hundreds of dollars had it worked. Oh well!

I'm going to have to get strict again as well with my food plan. Things have crept up! A little here, a little there--that's what does it.

Have a good evening!
Jay
Old 10-07-2008, 09:43 PM   #29  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Jay - so glad your rodent problem is soon to be a memory. I'm with you on getting back on track. Eating out "southern cooking" every meal for 9 days hasn't helped me much. And exercise was very sporadic.

The amazing thing is - that I really missed working out and eating healthy. The difference a year makes ...

Jude - thank you! Your kind words have me teary-eyed! You CAN definitely do this. I'm proud of you for getting back on track. I love that this isn't a race. I think one of the things I have learned as I have gotten older is patience. And perspective. Urgency isn't important - consistency and perseverance are.

Linda - we are getting some of that cold weather too! It is hard to take after 80s in TN. I think I need to find my mittens

flowing - WW sounds like a good idea. It IS really hard to eat and exercise right - both at the same time. I have also found that stress keeps me from losing. Adding meditation and yoga help me keep some balance - and even affect the scale - or so it seems.

Gail - I like your coffee suggestion! I've been drinking too much of it lately. Staying up late talking with my Mom really encouraged my coffee habit! And I loved her flavored coffee pods

Pam - LOL good to see you here again!

Have a great evening all!
Old 10-07-2008, 10:43 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 225/223/150

Height: 5'5''

Laurie, Sorry to hear about your father-in-law. Thanks for your continued support. You are my inspiration. I like your thoughts on patience. I really want to be healthy and energetic.

Jay sounds like the rats have gone. Did you check into the Pied Piper before you hired this company. I can just imagine him playing his flute followed by all your rats. The Pied Piper's price was pretty high though too!

Have a fun day Lori
Closed Thread