Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 10:34 PM   #121  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Thanks Isabella, my weight sure dropped off fast. I wasn't thinking when I posted my daily calories intake on the November Challenge. I need to go back and edit it to at least 1200 calories so I don't lose anymore. If I continue to lose at 1200, I'll up it until I stabilize. Hard to tell since I just started this month to add some dumbbell exercises. Maybe I'll get rid of my flabby arms.
Nighty-Nite everyone!
Old 10-22-2008, 09:08 AM   #122  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning everyone, it's a little cold outside today, a nice day for a brisk walk. Which I intend to do as soon as I get off here. Later today I have to goto the hospital education department for a computer class. And you know me and computers! NOT looking forward to it!

Way to go BOBBI!!!! You always do so well. I knew you would do it! I lift weights all the time. LOVE it. And it does make such a difference. You are adjusting your calories to just 1200?

Karen, Enjoy that "alone" time. I love it when I get some time for myself. Doesn't happen often, but I take advantage of it. Cook what I want, when I want...read all day...

everyone, make it a good day, Freda
Old 10-22-2008, 09:43 AM   #123  
Bobbi

Thank you Freda, it's good getting back into my skinny jeans! Adjusting my calories to 1200 is just a starting point. I've never been able to lose weight eating that much and the past 4 months I've run on 1000 or so. I've gotten very good at eating foods that keeps me full and not many calories, maybe my metabolism has been permanently imprinted and that's why I can only lose under 1100 calories? My weight gain started coming on when DH retired and we enjoyed a glass of Cabernet or two every night with a really great home cooked meals. Too large a portion of both food & wine. We do not have any Cabernet in our house anymore, some people can't resist sweets, my demon is a glass of wine.

Quote:
Way to go BOBBI!!!! You always do so well. I knew you would do it! I lift weights all the time. LOVE it. And it does make such a difference. You are adjusting your calories to just 1200?
At 3 O'Clock today we have to go in for our flu shot, how many of you get it? Last year my DH was in town when they give it out, got one and also got the flu later on. I missed getting it and did not get the flu. Go Figure? I guess they had a different strain of flu last year and the shot he received didn't cover the new strain.
DH cooked a whole lemon chicken two days ago, we pigged out on it Monday, ate left overs last night and today I'm making homemade chicken soup with the last of the chicken. How many of you make your own chicken broth from the bones. If you haven't tried it, do so. I picked all the chicken from the bones yesterday, put it in the frig and cooked up the bones with a bay leaf and some seasonings, then refrigerate it. This morning I'll pick off all the fat that floats to the top and hardens and have some fat free broth for my soup. We'll eat on this for a couple of days, who would have guessed that we'd get 4, maybe 5 meals out of one measly chicken? I better get started, have a great day.
P.S. I haven't checked the accountability yet today but last night I see Isabella is down 4 pounds, congrats!

Last edited by Bobbolink; 10-22-2008 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:24 PM   #124  

Height: 5' 8"

Hi all

Woo Hoo Bobbi Good job! I'm going through a "so close and yet so far" phase so I'm shouting congrats while turning a lovely shade of envious green :-D

BIL was in town on business last night so we went out to dinner then out to play. Stayed out way past my bedtime. Decided to use some of those 100 odd hours of sick time I won't be getting paid for when the warehouse closes so I am propped up on pillows typing this post from my bed. Should've gotten a laptop eons ago I don't bounce back from a disrupted sleep schedule like I used to but, where old me would have been more than happy to stay under the coverse the whole day, new me is already getting antsy - I'll probably have to at least go do some laundry or something. May stop back in after a bit. If I don't make it back, everyone have a glorious day

Last edited by yoyonomoreinvegas; 10-22-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:09 PM   #125  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Old 10-22-2008, 05:54 PM   #126  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Evening all...Phew...Dh went fishing again this am and Dash and I slept in. Woke with a start that I had an appointment at Beltone in 20 minutes. Flew out of here with face washed and teeth brushed but not sure if even underwear was on right. Came home fed the dog and then me started to check email, etc and realized it was time to leave and I was still showerless. Took a fast shower and put the top down to blow dry the hair. Now you know where my kids learned those tricks. Still in a twilight zone, checked calendar and next appointment is 9am tomorrow, but should be okay after that.

By the way Dash loves those vegies bone snacks...Still temped to taste the blueberry ones.

Can't believe you all are at goal or close. That's so wonderful. Not sure if I reached goal that it wouldn't bite me.

Gotta start dinner...hugs, Karen3

Last edited by Karen3; 10-23-2008 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:56 AM   #127  
Onward and Downward

Okay . . . I am officially in a bad mood . . . partly because I'm not sleeping well (up since 4:30 this morning) and partly because I've gained 4 to 5 pounds in the past week.

Now, I know that both of these are the result of returning to using insulin. Insulin is absolutely notorious for causing fluid retention and not of a kind that disappears in a day or two either. Kind of makes you wonder which is worse -- the dire long-term effects of Diabetes or the dire long-term effects of Obesity. Well, there's really no contest. I have to control the blood sugar and will just need to be more dilligent with the weight loss efforts. But I don't have to be happy about it, do I??? : Okay, rant is officially over now.

Nothing too exciting for today -- weather is supposed to improve and turn sunny -- and it's mall-crawl day. Since I missed last week because of my back, I really want to get a few things. LouLou isn't feeling great as of yesterday, (she overindulged in some date squares -- a major 'nono' for someone with gluten intolerance) so I may have to go alone. One of the things I want to look at is DDR for Wii which Walmart has advertised for C$70. Our almighty Canucky Bucky is dropping like a rock right now (as of yesterday, it's at US$0.80) so the cost of imported stuff will be going skyward again, so this might be a good time to buy, buy, buy.

Other than that . . . hey, nothing is new . . . how about you?????
Old 10-23-2008, 09:54 AM   #128  
Bobbi

Meowee...my condolence on your return to insulin. I have to admit I know nothing about diabetes so I googled it. Wow, I am flabbergasted with how limited you are in your food choices when your sugar is elevated. I was reading about all the symtoms in your body and a hasty way of getting high blood sugar down fast. No form of carbs/sugar, only water, no caffeine/fruit juice, booze, fruit teas, just plain water. Brisk walks to burn up sugar in system, no eating after 6pm (that would kill me), no breadfast or purely protein based. Why did you go off insulin in the first place? Once you go on insulin, can you add all the above food/liquid, only in moderation? I think it was Mary on the Accountability thread that always has BS in her daily post and I didn't know what that meant but now I do. Do you have a good diabetes site where you can log in your foods and they monitor your sugar levels? I think planning your menu's would take up lots of time, I have to give all the diabetes on this thread credit for hanging in there and never giving up on losing weight.
Yesterday I went into town and blew a gasket at MIL's apartment. We don't answer the phone anymore when she calls, the answering machine picks it up. If she sounds normal we talk to her, yesterday she was totally out of it again and living back in the early 1960's. She called 19 times! When I walked in, she had all her closets emptied out and clothes laying across the chairs, sofa, etc. Everything was boxed up and she was waiting for me to take her home. I actually prayed on the way over that I wouldn't yell at her but when I saw her whole apartment torn apart I was mad. I put everything back in it's place again for the 4th time. I know she can't help it and the dementia is really bad, and like Meowee I feel better now that I've ranted to someone. Sorry! In the past I've been very nice and understanding but maybe it'll take my madness for her to remember it's her apartment and not someone else's.
Today I'm going to take all my summer church clothes down stairs and exchange them for my winter duds. I best get started, have a good one.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:00 AM   #129  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Good morning. It's a beautiful cold sunny day here. I'm shivering because I opened the window when I was working out and forgot to close it when I went downstairs to ride my bike. I might have to "put another log on the fire" to warm the house up again.

Bobbi, we're vegetarian but mom isn't so occasionally I'll buy her a bbq chicken but she only eats a small amount. I'll make chicken soup out of the remainder just like you do. She loves it.

It looks as if I'll make my 5 pound goal for the month if I lose one more pound by this weekend. Much better than last month. I had a cake breakdown last night. My MIL's 76th birthday was yesterday and I was going to forgo the cake but it was a white pound cake with butter cream icing, which is my favorite and I had a piece, icing included. But I also had 2 Halloween sized bags of chips also. Didn't go much over calories but I could have eaten more if I'd had vegetables, fruit or even a stick of cheese...sigh...these are now my binges. What a difference from a full large or x-large bag of chips and 2 or 3 pieces of cake with ice cream. The cake tasted really good so at least I had something tasty. The chips were salty and not that great...sigh again...

Tonight I do a vegetarian cooking demo at a health seminar my church is holding so I get to go to town and shop beforehand. It'll be a tight schedule but I'm hoping to get everything done before the seminar starts.

Must go take a shower and get rid of the sweat and salt build-up on my skin (I'd take one anyway) and get things ready to go.

Have a good on plan day.

ETA: Bobby we were posting at the same time. You have my sympathies with your MIL. Mom has her mind but it can be difficult. When she says she wants to go home, she really means it but she has to stay with me. I suppose it will be only time and your MIL may have to enter a personal care facility. If she takes it into her mind to look for home, who knows how far or where she'll wander to.

Last edited by retiredone; 10-23-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:14 PM   #130  

Height: 5' 8"

Decided to behave and come back to work today - now gotta play catch up on all the stuff that didn't get done yesterday. Now I remember why I never call in sick......

later maybe
Old 10-23-2008, 08:48 PM   #131  
Onward and Downward

Life really isn't as bad as those things you read would lead you to believe, BOBBI, in fact, for most diabetics the same guidelines for healthy eating apply as for anybody else. The trick is to keep your intake of carbs balanced throughout the day and to stick with the lower GI types of starches in particular. I found the comment about not eating after 6 pm very strange -- often a diabetic needs a balanced bedtime snack to keep sugar levels at an acceptable level overnight.

I originally went off Insulin about a year ago because I was having a lot of lows. I had lost enough weight that my medication load was too high. At that time, I was still taking Actos. It wasn't until I stopped the Actos about 6 months ago that my sugar levels started to rise again. Actos is the same class as Avandia and had a lot of very bad press -- heart attack problems -- a couple of years ago and my doctor told me he would not let me go back on it. I'm actually still ahead of where I was 4 or 5 years ago when it comes to the amout of medication required to keep my BGL at happy levels.

After a few months, things should settle down again with the water retention situation and yes, if I lose another 75 pounds I might be able to drop the Insulin and keep off it. At my age though that might be a bit too much to expect. Diabetes is a progressive disease.

All in all, hate to tell you this, I think my chronic and incurable disease is easier to cope with than your MIL problems, Chickie. In fact, the major stress of your situation would wreak havoc with my blood sugar levels. Good Luck with her.

Last edited by meowee; 10-23-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:35 PM   #132  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

Started teaching last Tuesday. Will be teaching through first week in November. Check back then.

Take care,

Lynn
Old 10-24-2008, 08:23 AM   #133  
Onward and Downward

Hi there . . .

Well -- looks like my complaining yesterday woke up the scale- -- he took away 3 of those pesky www pounds overnight -- maybe there was a cat food on the scale the day before. Hey, I don't care how it happened, I'm just glad I'm "almost" back to my ticker number again. It will likely bounce around for a few weeks at least before it really settles down though.

We have nice sunshine again this morning, but that's supposed to be the last of it for most of the coming week. In place of the and cold, we are going to be getting fairly mild temperatures (low 10s C/ low 50s F) so at least there shouldn't be any "fluffy white stuff".

Want to run a few errands while we do have this sunshine and then nothing too exciting planned for my weekend.

Hope everybody else is having a Fabulous Friday . . .
Old 10-24-2008, 09:18 AM   #134  
Bobbi

Morning Girls!
Today I'm going to have a relaxing day, no running into town. DH is taking his mom into her doc's appointment, hopefully he can do something different with her meds. My DH is Czechoslovakian and remembers the apricot dumplings his mother would make when he was small. I found a dozen recipes for it on the internet (what a awesome invention) and plan on making them today. I'm was going to try to make it calorie friendly, but not sure they'll turn out if I do. Any of you make these, I'd appreciate any suggestions on the following ingredients before I make them.
Potato Apricot Dumplings:
7 medium spuds
2 eggs (how about 4 egg whites or 1 whole egg and 2 whites)
salt/pepper
3 cups flour (Part whole wheat, not sure if they'll get too heavy)
1 teaspoon baking powder
12 small apricots
1/2 cup butter (yikes!) I've substitued applesauce in baking but do you think that would work?)
12 lumps of sugar (Easy, I'll use splenda)
I could just make them like the original recipe and only eat one. Let me know what you gourmet cooks think!

Last edited by Bobbolink; 10-24-2008 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:24 AM   #135  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Mornin...Whadda mean the weekend...can't be the weekend...I'm still on Wednesday...what happened to Thrusday? DH and I decided that all this fresh air blowing thru the house has slowed our minds down. 7 straight months of a/c is 7 months of old O2!

I walked miles yesterday. Did 2 grocery stores and then the Mall. By 6pm my knees felt swollen and by 7pm even my ankles too. Think it is the cement floors that do me in.

It rained all night and was lovely sleeping. Half refilled the pool. It has been so dry that we loss about 2" of pool water every other day from evaporation.

Sorry about my Halloween rant the other day. Growing up in a wee town my parents had a Halloween party in the back yard for the whole town. Kids would treat or treat then come to our yard for hot dogs, cider and donuts. Plus lots of grown ups too. It was a tradition for years. The whole town of 660 people. It is such a big memory for me. Want all kids to have those sweet memories....yeah I admit we always pushed over Creasy's outhouse and yeah I admit the Tullia (Creasy's housekeeper) was in there one year. Yeah I admit DH shimmed up the flag pole and dropped tractor tires down over the pole.......Oh well....sigh....we was just kids....

The biggest problem I'll have is not trying even a taste of the bowl of candy bars. I hedge that by buying my least favorite kinds. But they all sing my song.

Running late...off to bridge...hugs, Karen3
Closed Thread