3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Age 50+ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50-217/)
-   -   ~September Golden Girls~ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50/150386-%7Eseptember-golden-girls%7E.html)

Cute n Curvy 09-02-2008 09:52 PM

'Evening Chickies :o

A special thank you to Freda and Pampgal for your concern about DD and her healing ligament . She was able to telecommute to work today via the computer. So she doesn't feel too far behind. She actually is improving day by day , but it isn't fast enogh for her. :(

Bobbi --I envy all of your gorgeous organic veggies. Nearby to our home their is a cooperative farm we can join, so we can pick our own produce. I'm considering it. I've thought of having a vegetabele garden. We live on an odd triangluar shaped lot (1.3 acre), but it is very wooded and we are bordered by conservation land to our back. Grew some tomatoes this year but the bunnies or raccons got the best of them. :dizzy:

Oh well, at least they ate well.;)

On the topic of body image, my brain and my eyes are still trying to get
in snyc with each other. I cleaned out my closet and have put aside to donate the items too big now to wear. That feels good but I'm amazed at how big some of the clothes are :dizzy:

Along time ago I decided to not be self loathing , as it served no purpose to help me lose. That is why my forum name is what it is. I just know that it is important to love myself and my currrent packaging ;) and to be appreciate my body and to take good care of myself. Enough :soap:e

Hope all of you have a wonderful Wednesday.

Has no one heard from Lynn ?

Gotta give my wrinkles some sleep.

Eileen :o

meowee 09-03-2008 08:30 AM

Good Morning . . . :grouphug:

Well, I am here . . . although I don't quite understand why -- Just to let you know, I've been having really weird computer problems the past few days and will be making an appointment to get this little beastie a checkup either Friday or Monday. At the moment, 3FC is one of the few places I'm able to access, but I don't know how much longer that may last. So if I do go completely missing, and you need Mod assistance with anything, pop on over to the "Active" thread and give a yell for Jayell who will, I imagine, bring help.

Bought myself a new toy yesterday, a laptop, along with a cute little stand for it (which took me over 3 hours to put together :dizzy:) and a thingamajig to allow me to set up my own little wireless network ($$$) -- BUT -- this desktop (which is currently hardwired into the cable connection) will not let me load the software to set up the wireless. Today I will tackle the laptop set up and the first thing I'll be loading (if Vista cooperates) will be my Mahjong game which I haven't been able to access since Sunday -- I'm having major withdrawal pains. :lol:

Yes BOBBI we do get hurricanes but usually they have dropped down a lot by the time they work their way up here -- the last really nasty one we got was Juan -- and I hope we do not (repeat DO NOT) see another bad one this season. Unfortunately, the PB2 manufacturers are not anxious to ship to Canada. :(

I'm pretty worried about Lynn too EILEEN, but I do not have access to any other e:mail address than the one Bobbi already tried. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

So far this morning, the weather here is gorgeous, but 'they' are threatening more rain for this afternoon. Although I do need to get some milk, my major activity today will definitely be playing with my new computer and trying to decide if Vista is as bad as some of the rumours would lead us to believe. Anybody have any experience with it?

Hopefully, I will be back . . . :crossed:

retiredone 09-03-2008 09:24 AM

Oh, Meowee, computer problems, what a bummer. Both my sons are computer nerds and DS#2 lives at home so I have instant access to help. Have you considered taking in a computer nerd border? :lol: I may never encourage DS#2 to leave home because of his abilities.

Yesterday I went shopping all by myself. I found a pair of exercise pants (the tight, to the calf kind) that had been $14.99 marked down to 3.99 but there was a scratch your own discount sale on and after I paid the tax on them I only paid $3.37. I love a bargain! I also found a pull over blouse to go with a suit I want to wear around Thanksgiving (October 13 in Canada). The suit is one I had in my closet waiting for me to shrink into it. It had originally cost $130 but I picked it up for $40. The blouse almost cost more than the suit. I paid $39 for it and I hope to get more than one year out of that one.

It was so hot here yesterday that I just about melted shopping. It looked gray and overcast when I was dressing to go out so I put on long pants--wrong move. The temperature went up to 30 degrees C and shorts or capris would have served me better.

Today is overcast again but it doesn't feel as hot. We're promised rain here too. Hope we don't get that hurricane. Of course, like Meowee said they are totally downgraded to a storm by the time they get up here. Juan was one of the exceptions. I know it tore up the Halifax waterfront something awful. And here on the Island it uprooted trees and there was some flooding.

Must go get dinner ready and do my circuit workout before my men want to eat.

yoyonomoreinvegas 09-03-2008 10:29 AM

Morning all :wave:

Glad to hear everyone is hanging in there through this oddball weather season. I guess being landlocked in the middle of the desert does have some advantages ;)

Good for you Rosey for recognizing the old habits and nipping them in the bud before they can get a foot hold again :bravo:

Ditto Eileen on being envious of all those home grown veggies Bobbi. My fruit trees are doing pretty well - Apricot tree has made a total comeback and the fruit is plumping nicely, got more lemons than I know what to do with, I just picked a boatload of apples, and I'm going to have about a bazillion pomegranates in a month or so but my veggies? :shrug: My peppers never made it past being tiny shoots then simply vanished; my cucumbers looked like they were going to do great, had little flowers and everything, but were apparently very tasty to some bug/slug and pretty much disappeared from one Saturday to the next (that's what I get for neglecting them during the week I guess); I still have two tomato plants that are growing like mad but never seem to flower. Oh well, maybe next year........

I appreciated the geography lesson Isabella - pretty much all I knew about Labrador/Newfoundland is that it's way north of me and has two terrific breeds of dogs named for them :lol:

OK, I'm also getting pretty jealous of all these laptops you ladies are picking up (Linda and Karen3)! I've been wanting one forever but always seem to put off going to get one - or spend the money on something else like dog shots, eye doctors and new vacuum cleaners (and new jeans in smaller sizes ;) ). Maybe I'll have to play "keeping up with the Golden Girls" to spur myself into the electronics store.

Still no word from Lynn huh? I am really starting to worry, she's always been so involved with 3FC (at least since I joined), I just don't see her simply forgetting about us.....

Me? I'm staying OP in the food department really super well but have been less than consistent with the exercising :o I'm still getting in at least 2 days a week but since my goal was to be doing 5 or 6 days I'm feeling like quite the slacker. I'm not parked on my patoozie in front of the TV at least, just been doing so much running around - I did buy a fresh (whole) coconut and I'm thinking getting that thing opened and the meat out of it might just count as a day's exercise though. Quite the job that. Anybody have any little *tricks* for getting the meat neatly out of a coconut? I really love the fresh meat (mixed with fresh pineapple and organic low fat vanilla yogurt :drool:) but not sure if it's truly worth the effort.

Have a wonderful day ladies :grouphug:

Karen3 09-03-2008 10:36 AM

Morning Chicks....Am tired of company. Watching Hanna spin, Ike getting larger, Josephine tip toeing and 2 more potentals still in Africa...that'll be Kyle and Laura! Must have some meaning that the male named storms seem to be bigger problems. The sunshine state had 2 days of sunshine and boy did that help my disposition.

Linda...Vista is different and still driving me crazy. But remember we thought the same about XP. For every thing I finally get right something new pops up.They say that learning new stuff activates our brain and keeps us young. By the time I learn how to use Vista right I'll be 12!

We are so different down here...My tomatoes are done but we replant again the end of next month. Most vegies are so cheap it doesn't pay to garden. The local stand gets directly from Tampa farmers market. Can you believe I buy a head of iceburg lettuce and even without the green bags it stays fresh for almost 2 weeks. If I get it at the grocery it's slimmy when I get home. Couldn't get any Santa Claus melons this year....OMG are they good. A cross between honeydew,canalope, keewee and strawberry favor. Besides love to ask guests if they like to have a slice of Santa Claus!

Pamp...Karen is my middle name...Marjorie is 1st name, but so was DM. I have always been called Karen. My Danish DGF could not pronounce Marjorie and tried to called me Margret Karen...My FIL thought that was hysterical and for 40 years called me Peggy which is a nickname for Margret. I only answered to Peggy when Pop said it....never heard it otherwise. When DH and I eloped the minister who married us used Marjorie and DH thought he had married the wrong woman! So next month he will have been married to the wrong woman 50 years!

Off to the bridge table....thought I didn't direct again until Nov, but apparently in a moment of madness I signed up for next Friday. Wish those moments would sign me up for a cruise or something fabulous! hugs,Karen3

akrosey49 09-03-2008 12:59 PM

Morning everyone..still raining here..i have Laptop too and i luv it.however i dont have a lap to put it in but have it set up on my kitchen table..i find vista diff but my dd and sil help me when i have puter troubles..i'll bet my middle name takes the prize:dizzy: its Harvey yup thats right,it was my mothers maiden name..i get lots of comments about that..hope u all have agreat day :hug: rosey :wave:

retiredone 09-03-2008 03:23 PM

My mother's middle name is Mcleod. It was her mother's maiden name. But her first name is Margaret but the whole family calls her Peggy (except her children who call her mom :) ).

My DH gave me a laptop when I retired last year. And as I said in an earlier post DS#2 keeps everything in good running order.

the slim me 09-04-2008 08:35 AM

Good Morning all, Hope you have a glorious day. It's cool outside now, so I'm going to get my walk in as soon as I get off the computer. It's just so much easier to get outside in the morning. The days are still hot and by evening I have soccer games and other things that distract me.

Pampgal, How kind of you to offer to find a place for Gayle to stay!

Eileen, I agree with you. Self loathing does nothing but lower your self esteme. Learning to love yourself makes you want to treat yourself better.

Isabella, Can I borrow one of your sons for awhile? Any of the computer nerds will do, i'm not pickey. Just long enough for them to teach me how to do a few more things on the computer. My grandson is only 8 and I figure I've got a few years to go before he gets computer savy. Although he probably already knows more than I. You are doing some serious shopping girl! Finding some really great buys.

Linda WHINE...WHINE...I want a laptop tooooooo!

YoYo, I guess we always want what we don't have. The thought of all your fruit tree's sound pretty good to me. If we could just get together and trade produce. I would gladly trade green peppers and tomatoes and cukes...

Karen, Glad to hear that you are still safe and sound. Names can be crazy sometimes. My name is FREDA. On my birth certificate it's spelled FREIDA. I never knew that untill I was grown. I've always used the former and it's on all my documents. I can just see me having problems down the line somewhere because of the spelling.

make it a good day, Freda or Frieda

retiredone 09-04-2008 08:59 AM

Good morning my dear chickies. It's sunny outside but I don't know if it's hot or cold. We're promised cooler weather. Yesterday turned out to be a humid scorching day but I know that won't last.

The kids have been back to school for three days now and DH is getting used to his new routine after a summer away from the busses and overly excited, glum, tired... (take your pick) kids.

Freda, you'll be amazed how soon your GS will be able to pick apart your computer. My two sons were at it by the time they were in their early teens. There were a few mishaps that cost a few dollars, but it was certainly a learning event. Every time they "fixed" mine, it took me a good week to figure out the improvements. And it's about the same now. They're always doing some kind of upgrade or addition to mine.

I've got the stove timer on to remind me when to start dinner and it just went off so I'm off, too. :)

Bobbolink 09-04-2008 09:54 AM

Good Morning!
How many carbs are too many? I found an article from Dr. Weil a couple of days ago and will post some of it. It's terribly long and I want to hit the high points only. For those of you that track your carbs, how many do you consume daily? My carbs are always high, I try to keep them at 171 grams or below. Monday I hit 212 grams but it all came from healthy fruits, veggies and grains and I didn't exceed my calories for the day.
Quote:

Isabella…Have you ever tried dried milk you make yourself. We've been using it for 38+ years. I know this because we took Tiffany (DD) off formula and onto skim milk and she's 38 years old. I add a half teaspoon of real vanilla to a quart of milk. We use lite vanilla soy milk for cereal.Milk is about $4.10 for 2 litres (about 2 quarts), large eggs about $2.60 dozen. In the winter lettuce can go as high as $5 a head. I think lettuce @ $5.00 a head is outrageous, plant your own in a container where the sun hits and thumb your nose at the store bought.
Eileen…We live on an odd triangluar shaped lot (1.3 acre), but it is very wooded and we are bordered by conservation land to our back. Grew some tomatoes this year but the bunnies or raccons got the best of them. That's about the size of our acreage, maybe you could put chicken wire around the plants.
Quote:

Yoyo...do you harvest all your fruit for the cool months? What do you do with the pomegranates? I've bought the juice in the grocery stores and it's delicious and expensive!Apricot tree has made a total comeback and the fruit is plumping nicely, got more lemons than I know what to do with, I just picked a boatload of apples, and I'm going to have about a bazillion pomegranates in a month or so but my veggies?
Quote:

Karen 3......My new computer has the Vista version on it, there were a few kinks to work out but now it runs great and they always have updated to improve it.Vista is different and still driving me crazy. But remember we thought the same about XP. For every thing I finally get right something new pops up.They say that learning new stuff activates our brain and keeps us young. No truer words were said, I do the crossword puzzle in the newspaper every night and sometimes my brain is taxed to the limit.

Quote:

Freda...why did you start spelling your name wrong as a small child? Nobody noticed it until to late? My DH has gone by his middle name his whole life because he hates his first name. He has had lots of problems in his later life because of that. Social Security mostly, have you had problems too?My name is FREDA. On my birth certificate it's spelled FREIDA. I never knew that untill I was grown. I've always used the former and it's on all my documents. I can just see me having problems down the line somewhere because of the spelling

It's time for me to get moving and shaking, I let the chickens out early this morning and see lots of fruit on the ground, ugh! I'm getting tired of all this freezing but we'll appreciate it this winter when it's 30 below zero and we're snug in the house. Maybe I'll post that carb article tomorrow, I'm burning sunlight.

yoyonomoreinvegas 09-04-2008 11:14 AM

Good Morning Ladies :wave:

Quote:

Originally Posted by the slim me (Post 2346591)
YoYo, I guess we always want what we don't have. The thought of all your fruit tree's sound pretty good to me. If we could just get together and trade produce. I would gladly trade green peppers and tomatoes and cukes...

Hmmm Freda (Freida :D ), you could ship me tomatoes and I'll ship you some Pomagranites (as soon as they get a little riper) We'd have a regular long distance farmers market :D

[QUOTE=Bobbolink;2346713]Good Morning!
How many carbs are too many? For those of you that track your carbs, how many do you consume daily? My carbs are always high, I try to keep them at 171 grams or below. Monday I hit 212 grams but it all came from healthy fruits, veggies and grains and I didn't exceed my calories for the day.

Bobbi, I just recently started paying attention to my carbs. I was in one of those pesky "maintenance rehearsal modes" and wanted to figure out how to get my losing mode re-started. Discovered that with all the yummy summer fruits around I'd been really high in the carb department. I'm not really following a *low carb* plan but by keeping the really sweet fruit servings to a minimum I'm averaging less than 120g (27% of my total calories)

We don't really have "cool" months here - we tend to go from broiling to freezing pretty much overnight. (Of course what I think of as *freezing* is probably downright balmy to you :lol: ). Since we don't have the traditional changes of season I can't really predict the month when something is going to ripen - tends to be different each year depending on how early they started to flower, I have to just keep an eye on the fruit and test one once in a while (or in the case of the apples - when the dog starts eating them :) ). The lemons tend to ripen in stages which is kind of nice actually - I can go to the tree almost any time and get a couple of fresh lemons. I'm constantly learning new stuff to do with the pomegranates - the seeds themselves don't freeze very well (well, they freeze fine, it's the thawing out part that tends to take something out of them ;) ) Juicing them and freezing the filtered juice works really well, but is a LOT of work. The whole fruit will keep for quite a while after it's picked - it's one of the few fruits that will not continue to ripen once it's off the tree. I'm thinking of trying to can some preserves this year but since I've never done it before, I'll have to start with a small batch :^: . Hint: If you ever go buy a whole pomegranate and decide to juice it, you HAVE to take the seeds out of the hulls first. No matter how fancy your juicer is, the hulls are loaded with tanins and will make your juice shrivel your mouth worse than the driest cabernet you ever had. I think I remember reading something somewhere about making a medicinal tea from the hulls - I'll have to see if I can find that again. I also have some rose bushes that produce some really plump fruit if I don't cut them back - Pomegranite and rose hips tea? Sounds intriguing.........

Gosh, my little brain has been wandering over pomegranate possibilies and I've lost track of the time. Gotta run. Have a spectacular day :grouphug:

retiredone 09-04-2008 12:27 PM

Bobbi, DH and I use powdered skim milk but mom uses fresh so I buy it for her as it lasts several days. DS uses soy milk as the real milk does not agree with his stomach. And $5 a head for lettuce is outrageous. I don't buy lettuce when it gets that expensive. Fortunately, it doesn't stay that expensive all winter. We eat more coleslaw in the winter. :lol:

I don't worry about my carbs, as most of them are from fruits, vegetables and whole grain products. I don't suffer from diabetes and I haven't noticed any problems with weight loss eating those foods. I just checked fitday and I have about 150g per day give or take 20g. I'm eating about 1200 calories per day and my carbs are always more than 50% of my calories.

It's raininggggggggggg and I wantedddddddddd to go for a walkkkkkkkkkk. Whine, whine, whinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnne......... I'll get on my exercise bike. Maybe it'll hold up after a while.

Bobbolink 09-04-2008 01:08 PM

Quote:

I don't worry about my carbs, as most of them are from fruits, vegetables and whole grain products. I don't suffer from diabetes and I haven't noticed any problems with weight loss eating those foods. I just checked fitday and I have about 150g per day give or take 20g. I'm eating about 1200 calories per day and my carbs are always more than 50% of my calories.

Isabella, just a quick note about carbs. I googled how many carbs I should be eating and the general rule was 1/2 total calories should come from healthy carbs. And I continue to lose so I guess I won't worry so much about them. I am going to change my "Accountability" posting to %'s instead of grams so it's easier for me. About the powdered skim milk, I made my own chocolate syrup using Splenda or zsweetner and make chocolate milk too. It only adds a couple of calories to a glass of skim milk takes care of any chocolate cravings I have.
Yoyo.... 27% is really low but we have so many kinds of fresh fruit for free and with the high cost of groceries, we eat it. One thing I noticed on that one really high carb day was 4 slices of low calorie bread had 42 grams of carbs! I usually eat the "Flat Outs", they are much lower in carbs (16g)and have 9 grams of fiber. I eat one a day at noon for a yummy roll up. Today I had 2 Tablespoons of Peanut butter, (PB2 @53 cal)and shredded lettuce on a roll up. It's so filling because of the high fiber that I don't get hungry until supper time.
Quote:

Bobbi, I just recently started paying attention to my carbs. I was in one of those pesky "maintenance rehearsal modes" and wanted to figure out how to get my losing mode re-started. Discovered that with all the yummy summer fruits around I'd been really high in the carb department. I'm not really following a *low carb* plan but by keeping the really sweet fruit servings to a minimum I'm averaging less than 120g (27% of my total calories)

retiredone 09-04-2008 02:51 PM

I'm not whining anymore. The sun came out shortly after I posted and I got in my 5k walk at 25 degrees C and so humid it must be close to 30. I actually did it in shorter time than normal and I was really tired on that last kilometre. I'm dripping wet but I have to get in my exercise bike ride yet so then I'll shower.

Bobbi, that chocolate milk idea is good. I'm so used to the taste of the reconstituted skim milk that I don't like the fresh skim milk in the cartons as much. It's just what ya get used to.

glynne 09-04-2008 04:23 PM

Bobbi ~ what are the "flat outs" bread you tell about? And could you tell how to make the chocolate syrup? We use the powdered milk. I don't mind it on cereal or to make pudding with, but I don't like it so much just to drink unless I make chocolate milk out of it.