Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 07:15 AM   #1  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Default Active Folks Over 50 -- #14

Hey everybody! Welcome to the thread!

Active Folks Over 50 is a place to talk about fitness and healthy eating information as it relates to weight loss and/or maintenance--and also about any work, fun, hobby, or volunteer activites you're engaged in. In other words, the active part of your life!

Just a few guidelines for this thread:

- Raves about grandkids or ranting about your kids is out of bounds.

- Lengthy discussion of your illnesses, conditions, treatments, and medical procedures in general is also out of bounds on this thread. So is whining about old age!

- Positive stories of vacations taken, volunteer work, or achievements at work or elsewhere are highly encouraged! As are recommendations for books, movies, discussions of weight related issues, etc.

Join in!
------------------

Here we are past the 4th. It's gotten summer hot here in Fla., which means we stay indoors in the middle of the day, pretty much. Often it rains in the afternoon at this time of year. Oh, now and then I do see some fools out trying to jog in the middle of the day. One year there was this man... middle aged... he was beet red... jogging at noon... must have been heat index 110 out there... and sitting on the light poles above him, watching with interest, were a couple of vultures...

What do you have planned for your summer?

Jay
Old 07-07-2008, 01:24 PM   #2  

Good afternoon! July seems to have slipped away from us......would you please chase it back up north! It's lovely and cool for gardening and exercising so that's the bonus.

I rode my bike this morning pretty early to avoid the worst of the traffic and it was perfect. I rode into the wind going out and so coming back was a little easier.......I haven't ridden much this year yet so I'm still trying to remember the gear shifting for uphill chugging. I love my bike!

The meadows here are full of flowers at the moment and I laid my bike aside and climbed a hill to just take in the scene and enjoy all the blossoms. It's amazing!

I hope everyone finds a lovely place to go and walk or exercise some way today..........summer is so treasured (although I know in Florida and the deep south it's different than up here in the northern States area). Breath it in and enjoy!
Old 07-07-2008, 05:32 PM   #3  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Been busy, busy today and just never got the time to chat with anyone on-line. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. see you then . . .
Old 07-07-2008, 05:45 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hey Timlin! Welcome to the thread!

Jay
Old 07-07-2008, 05:48 PM   #5  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Timlin - I would happily give you our weather right now. Very, very sticky. Too hot to get much done. Although, I did plant a couple snowball bushes after cleaning all the dead wood out of the spirea hedge. It had gotten away from me and needed a lot of work.

I will almost be glad to go back to work tomorrow and sit at a desk all day (I said ALMOST).

Hope everyone is having a great day!
Old 07-08-2008, 08:08 AM   #6  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning

Timlin, Hi, Nice to meet you. Looking forward to talking to you. I just had my husband get my bike out and tune it up this weekend so I could go riding with my grandkids. they decided to stay with their other granma this week so I have all this free time on my hands. I decided to take my bike for a test run yesterday. I have thigh muscles. Now, I exercise all the time (walk and lift weights, and even do squats) but evidently I hit a new set of muscles with the bike. reminded me why it's good to change out the exercises from time to time.

Laurie, You have been very busy lately. Getting your exercise with some actual work. Bet everything is looking nice now. So good to look around afterwards and see the results.

Make it a good day, Freda
Old 07-08-2008, 12:54 PM   #7  
Onward and Downward

My exercise for today has been a major cleaning of closets. Worked for hours and got really hot under the collar even with the A/C going full blast.

Hope you all have a great day of moving and shaking . . .
Old 07-08-2008, 03:23 PM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hey everybody!

Well, my weight has stalled again. Oh well. I can't complain since I got through vacation without terrible damage... but I'm not really down to where I was before I left yet. Grrrrrrrr.

Today's my day off from the gym, too, and I'm feeling antsy. Maybe I ought to invest in a step aerobics step and DVD... I did step years ago, during one of my "fitness" phases, and I really liked it.

I hear the thunder coming in right on schedule! Guess I'll unplug.

Jay
Old 07-08-2008, 10:27 PM   #9  

Quick fly in -
Jay - I love my DVDs. I just got 4 new ball workouts. There are so many good DVDs these days - just great stuff. If you have room for the step - sounds like it would be a good way to work in an extra workout or two into your schedule

Linda - I hate cleaning closets - I applaud your efforts in the heat. I have one closet under the stairs that I need to get to - I will do almost ANYTHING to keep from starting it. Gotta get it done - you have inspired me to at least get it on my agenda

Hope everyone had a great day - another crazy one here. But I did get in a walk to the farmer's market and picked up quite a few veggies
Old 07-09-2008, 07:44 AM   #10  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning,

Linda, You cleaned a closet in the heat? WHOOOHOOO! I really need to get a few cleaned out too. My DH is so good about that. He just cleaned his and i have a pile of clothes to take to the hospital with me. Patients come in and have no clothes and we bring in things. I wish I could get inspired....

Laurie, You're getting things at the farmers market? I don't think ours are open for fresh vegetables yet. And my tomatoes aren't in at home yet either. Tons hanging on the vine, but they aren't ripening. I think they need more hot days, which we havne't been having.

Lots of good exercise video's out there. I usually get them at the library first to see if i'm going to like them, before I buy. If your library doesn't have them they will usually get them for you. I just got Yoga for Dummies. I tried it out yesterday. I know it's supposed to help but I've decided i'm just not a yoga person.

make it a good day Freda
Old 07-09-2008, 07:45 AM   #11  
Onward and Downward

Oh wowee . . . another yicky, hot and sticky day for norther NS . . . I feel totally enervated already. Got up with great intentions of moving on to the kitchen nooks and crannies this morning (still in ruthless clean-out mode) but, but, but . . . done nothing but so far. Hey the day is still young so maybe I'll get into gear soon.

Big for all.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:09 PM   #12  

Cooler weather here today. It was a busy one. Work was typical, but our Pastor called and needed help with the sound/computer system for a funeral today. It was the parent of one of my classmates. Thus, it was fun to catch up with some folk - in addition to skipping out of work for a couple hours.

Oh, and had the "girls" flattened and photographed today. And she informed me that the last time I had it done was in 2002

I gotta get better at getting all this "preventative maintenance" done!

I'm thinking that I need to mix up my exercise and eating a bit. The scale seem to be stuck this week. Ah, well, patience is a virtue - and at least it isn't going back UP!

Hope you all have a great day!
Old 07-10-2008, 05:51 AM   #13  
Onward and Downward

Hi gang . . .

Apparently only one more really hot and sticky day to get through and then we will be rewarded with a little break in the weather. Today is the usual 'mall crawl' day -- what to wear is the main question right now since it will be too hot outside and likely too cold inside.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:51 AM   #14  
Silver Surfer

Hi everyone. Early days here just over a week. I have been cutting down over the last few months but trying to get a bit more serious about losing some weight. Walking is the only exercise I do and until recently I only went out two or three times a week. I try to walk every day even if it‘s just around the block. I keep telling myself I‘ll step it up once I feel a little more comfortable with it.

I look forward to checking in with you and getting to know you all. Take care. I hope everyone is having a good day.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:03 AM   #15  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hey Etta!

I'm bummed 'cause my weight loss is stalled at the moment. This seems to be the story of my weight life for months now. I'm really tired of it! Oh well...

We bought a "pet door insert" that goes into our sliding glass door onto the screen porch. It's really nice--now it's just a matter of the cat's learning to go in and out the door on his own. Before this, we would just gap the sliding door to his width, and then hang a scarf over the opening, leaving about a foot at the bottom. It was better than nothing, but the heat here is pretty overwhelming... This insert is perfect--so I hope he gets the courage up soon. He's used cat doors before, in his distant past.

Have a good one!

Jay
Closed Thread