Old 07-20-2008, 10:04 PM   #166  

S/C/G: 210/173/135

Height: 5'6''

'Evening Chickies

A big to Ann J and KCbytheC . I find that the daily accountability posts very helpful.

I've been out of the loop, due to extremely busy times at work plus helping our oldest DD ( recently divorced) get her house ready to go on sale. Second weekend in a row staying over and pitching in. Things look great at her house and gardens ... now here at home

Anyway hope you all ae well. To answer Bobbi's question I eat a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables. Any carbs that aren't or fruits come from whole grains. I use these in limited amounts and not daily, plus chicken, fish, natural peanut butter ( no sugar or salt) and cotttage cheese for protein.

Hope that you all are well and as always thanks for the support.

'Night
Eileen
Cute n Curvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:04 AM   #167  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Hey Ann! Yep we are just a hop skip and jump away from each other. I went to Fairhope in the spring for an art show and it was great. I live about 20 minutes or so from Covington. Go over there a lot to shop and go out partying etc.

I also HATE to exercise and force myself every day. I feel great when I'm finished and don't know why I have to fuss at myself to get started!!

My family pretty much eats what I do. I just adapted our "family favorites" by using ingredients that are "south beach friendly". For instance, when I make etouffee or gumbo etc, I will use whole grain flour and olive oil instead of flour and butter and no one even notices the difference. I do buy cookies etc for them, but since I finished with phase 1, I really don't have much interest in that kind of stuff. I do indulge in "no-no's" when something VERY special presents itself...like the other night I had about 4 bites of a very rich bread pudding with white chocolate sauce at a party...but a no-no has to be REALLY special and maybe I'll indulge once a month or so and then it's only a couple of bites.

Usually our meals consist of a protein, a vegetable and a huge salad that is loaded with all kinds of veggies. Maybe a grain like brown rice or whole grain pasta once or twice a week. I keep a box of instant white rice (Creole sacralidge!) around for my youngest son who will not eat brown rice. He also will not eat whole grain bread, so I keep Bunny Bread around for him. Basically, he is a carnivore while everyone else loves veggies, so he is the only "problem"..but at 20 if he doesn't like what we are having he can just order a pizza or something. He likes those nasty frozen pizzas too, so I try to keep some in the fridge for him.

Last edited by femmecreole; 07-21-2008 at 08:25 AM.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:10 AM   #168  

Height: 5'1"

Good morning all,

welcome to the new ladies. Look forward to getting to know you.

DC, welcome back.

Karen31, We should take lessons from your baby. That is how she maintains that lovely figure! That was too cute!

Lyn, How interesting that you found a new, colorful ancester. I'd love to hear more about him!

I'm not on any special diet. I eat "clean" but i do allow myself some treats too. I try to eat good healthy food with small portions. I seldom eat "white". i just prefer the whole grains. I love brown rice and the bread I buy is 12 grains, with 6 grams of fiber per slice. I love fruit and vegetables and beans. I have at least 1-2 vegeterian meals a week, Just because i like them. I try to buy local as much as i can. No great secrets. I try to get some type of exercise every day, and I make a point to put exercise into my everydaay life. I park in the back of the parking lot. I take the stairs. Little changes add up. And I ALWAYS lift weights.

make it a good day, Freda
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:51 AM   #169  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Good Morning everyone! And Thanks for the compliments on Ginger!! She really surprised me! I hadn't tried to train her to do this but she always waits patiently when I'm doing it for me to finish then she jumps up on my belly and I need to do a few more just for her. So I guess she decided that I should be on the ab lounge instead of cleaning!!

I'm hoping to hear something from the realtor today. She had said on Friday that another agent had said she had clients that were wanting to make an offer. Didn't hear anything over the weekend so keeping my fingers crossed it is a good offer and we can get moved! Can you tell I'm anxious to get back to Missouri??

Well, need to get busy before the day gets too hot. Take care and have a good day everybody!!
Karen31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:29 PM   #170  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by femmecreole View Post
What a find discovering that ancestor!! I haven't had much time for research lately. I really one have ONE brick wall left and hopefully one day will tear that down.
Hi Cat,

PM your "brick wall" to me & I'll PM my "brick wall" to you. Maybe fresh eyes will be able to find something.

The only bread I eat these days is lo-carb - NOT tempting, but better with Jersey tomatoes & mayo (canola oil, of course) than nothing. For whatever reason, regular bread - even whole grain - REALLY spikes my blood sugar. I NEVER thought I would say this - I used to be a real bread addict - but I don't miss it anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynne View Post
I saw onederland briefly this morning. I didn't change my ticker because I probably won't still be there tomorrow. I want to wait until I am more firmly there. I have been yo-yoing for a while ~ so near to onederland yet it feels so far.

Today though, I haven't made such good choices (why I probably will be back in the 2's tomorrow). Why do I do that to myself? Oh well ~ not going to beat myself up about it ~ will just have to make better choices going forward.
Hi Gayle,
First - a GIANT CONGRATULATIONS on getting into the 100's.

Next - you wrote, "Why do I do that to myself?" Actually, I think it's partially physical - read Rethinking Thin by Gina Kolata - and partially psychological - kind of sabbotaging ourselves. Whatever the reason, I know that I do this also. Get really close to a weight I want to get to & then go on a crazy eating binge.

However, sooner or later we will win this battle! Hang in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the slim me View Post
Lynn, How interesting that you found a new, colorful ancester. I'd love to hear more about him!
Freda
Hi Freda,
His name is James Rogers & he immigrated to CT from England in 1635. Got REALLY rich & had a son - John Rogers - who started a religion called the Rogerenes - a sect of 7th Day Adventists. James, John, and their family spent a lot of time in courts and jails bc of their fights with the Congregational Church - the only "legal" church in CT in those days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen31 View Post
I'm hoping to hear something from the realtor today. She had said on Friday that another agent had said she had clients that were wanting to make an offer. Didn't hear anything over the weekend so keeping my fingers crossed it is a good offer and we can get moved!
Hi Karen,
My DD began trying to sell her B&B around the same time you started to sell your house. She just entered into some serious negotiations with a prospective buyer. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you & you keep yours crossed for my DD.

Tomorrow, I'm taking my Little Sister scrapbooking with me. Today I'm finishing up my DAR documentation - copying and organizing. I'm no longer sure why I'm even doing this - just seems like now that I started, I need to finish. My niece - the one who was the history major & might have benefitted from a DAR scholarship - is no longer a history major!

Tonight I'm having dinner with my DD & SIL. Trying to eat light today so I can eat tonight. I'm down to around 1,100 calories/day. Doesn't give me much room to play.

Lynn
ladyinweighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:29 PM   #171  
-

Lynn, have you tried Eziekial breads? Very yummy and filling and made from sprouted grains.

My brick wall is my GGgrandfather, Constant Reynes. He was teaching in New Orleans in 1866 and kind of disappeared off the face of the earth after that. I found evidence he may have been in Tampico Mexico a few years earlier. His oldest son was baptized there at the age of 3. Long story, but he was a Free Person of Color (Gens de Couleur) and many people were going back and forth to Tampico at that time. He may have died there. By 1870 his wife and 2 sons, one 4 and one 14 were in New Orleans living with her family. This family has been in New Orleans since at least 1718 and he's the only one I don't have death record for. I also don't have a birth record for his yougest son who would have been born around the time I lose track of Constant. So Constant may have died in Mexico around that time and his son may have been born there and then they came back to New Orleans.

Last edited by femmecreole; 07-21-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:14 PM   #172  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Hello everyone and a big welcome to our newest members. Karen31, your little Ginger is a great example to the rest of us slackers (when we are )!!

Since Friday I've eaten a ton of junk, most of it Saturday night and all day Sunday. My youngest son had his 24th birthday on Sunday and in honor of the day I decided to eat his weight in ice cream, waffle cones, cake and potato chips. I haven't been so full since when??? Today I was very careful counting my calories. And to top off everything I haven't been able to use a computer for the last few days to punch everything into fitday. Got all caught up this evening, though.

On a brighter note I have been pretty good at getting in a 5k walk most days. Today when I was out walking 2 police cars were going up the road with sirens blaring. Sometime later on my walk I met them all coming back from wherever they had gone plus there was another police car, a search and rescue truck and a local town police van. They were coming from the road that leads to my son's house but no one at home had heard anything. And there was nothing on the news so I'm left with curiosity that won't be satisfied.

Other than overeating at times, my holiday is going good. Nothing too exciting as DH is so busy helping DS put on the front deck. Tomorrow they're putting a roof over the deck. There used to be one there when he moved in the house but he tore it down as it was rotten through and could have caused a problem.

I'll catch you all later when I can snag a computer.
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:57 PM   #173  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5 2

I thought of some of you gals that decided to quit weighing yourself everyday. (I'm a daily morning scale freak) The following is an article from Dr.Weil, I cut some out as it was too long.
Quote:
Tipping the Scales Daily?
How often should you weigh yourself when you're on a diet? A
Answer: Dr. Weil (Published 2/13/2006)
I don't think there are any hard and fast rules on this subject, but a recent study found that weighing yourself daily does seem to help. The study, conducted by researchers at Brown University, found that people who weighed themselves every day were less likely to regain lost weight than were those who weighed themselves less often.

All participants were urged to weigh themselves daily on scales they were given at the outset of the study. They also received advice about diet and exercise.
The researchers found that of the study participants who weighed themselves daily, only 39 percent had gained five pounds or more. However, 68 percent of those who weighed themselves less frequently had gained five pounds or more.
This suggests that you're more likely to succeed at weight loss if you continue to weigh yourself daily so that you can spot changes and take immediate action to reverse any trend toward weight gain. Another way to be vigilant is to maintain regular food records. Clinical trials have demonstrated that people can reduce food intake by up to 40 percent just by writing down what they eat.

I'm running on 4 hours sleep and need to go beddy-bye. I will quickly fill in my accountability and call it a night. Good Night!
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:47 AM   #174  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Good Morning . . .

Sorry I was totally missing yesterday, but we finally got rain -- lots of rain -- but it came (and is still coming) as the tail-end of tropical storm Cristobal and is replete with lots of wind and thunder boomers. Things are quiet right now, so I wanted to pop in for a quick HI while I had the chance.

Hopefully, I'll get back later. . .
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:17 AM   #175  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by femmecreole View Post
Lynn, have you tried Eziekial breads? Very yummy and filling and made from sprouted grains.

My brick wall is my GGgrandfather, Constant Reynes. He was teaching in New Orleans in 1866 and kind of disappeared off the face of the earth after that. I found evidence he may have been in Tampico Mexico a few years earlier. His oldest son was baptized there at the age of 3. Long story, but he was a Free Person of Color (Gens de Couleur) and many people were going back and forth to Tampico at that time. He may have died there. By 1870 his wife and 2 sons, one 4 and one 14 were in New Orleans living with her family. This family has been in New Orleans since at least 1718 and he's the only one I don't have death record for. I also don't have a birth record for his yougest son who would have been born around the time I lose track of Constant. So Constant may have died in Mexico around that time and his son may have been born there and then they came back to New Orleans.
Do I get the bread in Health Food store? I'll look.

OK my brick wall is Euphemia/Affa/Effie Seeley/Seely/Seeleye... (b. 1793)

I need documentation that she was the daughter of Eunice Smith (b. 1766) and Abner Seeley...(b. 1768).

They should have been living in NY or CT when Euphemia... was born.

I have stuff from Ancestry & from the Seeley Genealogical Society, but it's all on the internet. I need some kind of paper source. Last night, I just heard about books about the history of different counties in CT - Samuel Orcutt's History of X County in CT. I'm going to try to track down ones from Milford and Litchfield counties - places they are supposed to have lived.

I'll work on your ggrandfather tonight. Will be good to have someone different to search for. I get tired of looking/re-looking for the same names all the time.

Happy hunting,

Lynn
ladyinweighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:20 AM   #176  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

I can get Ezekial Breads in both of my local grocery chains -- one of them keeps it in the frozen food section and the other (which has a pretty big health food section) keeps it in the cooler in that area.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:36 AM   #177  
-

Lynn, try their store finder to see where you can get it locally.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:03 AM   #178  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Good morning all...The kids should be arriving shortly. Well anytime between now and midnight. hmmmmmmmmmm

Have everything ready and even dinner planned??? Gonna do broiled vegies with shrimps and sea scallops. Stuff some plum tomatoes with cheese and let everyone pick out what they like. Day#1 and will still be OP.

Read about everyone and you have been busy. No time for personals. Hugs, Karen3

Last edited by Karen3; 07-22-2008 at 03:48 PM.
Karen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:59 AM   #179  

Height: 5' 8"

Morning all

Yes, it's really me - just changed my avatar. Finally got a decent picture of both my girls looking at the camera. Usually I get one face and one rear end - usually exiting the frame (and I can't count how many times I've gotten nothing but 2 rear ends ) We'd just been outside playing with the water hose so they were happily pooped and managed to sit still together for more than 30 seconds.

Golly! Take a couple of days away from the computer and get sooooo far behind. We sure are a bunch of busy chickies.

Big to all the new ladies. This is a really great place to hang out for support and just for fun too.

I found the perfect piece of exercise equipment! It's called a manual lawn mower Our lawn guy has gotten badly unreliable and I couldn't stand the shaggy lawn any more so I dragged out old betsy and whacked away. All I can tell you is there are lots of sore muscles today! I may just tell that lawn guy to take a hike and start doing it myself every week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyinweighting View Post
Just got back from the dermatologist. He saw a spot on my face that he didn't like & biopsied it.

Getting old s-cks!

Lynn
Yes, it does. FIL always says the golden years are really more like gilded . Sure hope your report from the doc comes out OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
I need to pick the raspberries before the birds eat them all and water some flowers. Have a healthy eating week-end![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Yummy! I'm thinking of trying to put in some berry bushes. Not sure how well they will do here because it's so hot and dry. I know blackberries do OK in the heat but usually grow where there's more humidity than what we have but I have a space along the back wall of my house that doesn't get hit with the full sun most of the day so the soil stays pretty moist so I'm going to give it a try.

Thanks for the compliment I'm not sure I qualify as svelte just yet but most definitely greatly improved. I'm actually reevaluating my goal weight up a bit. When I first got started (this time around) I picked 135 because that's about where I was when I got married but I'm almost 20 years older and, at that time, I was doing pretty much no strength training so there wasn't much muscle to speak of, and I was 20 years younger. I was also eating pretty dreadfully (when I was eating) so now I'm not so sure I actually looked all that great. And, did I mention, I was 20 years younger

I've really not been following any specific plan. I read through a bunch of them and sort of picked and chose the parts I thought would work for me. I do count calories and have eliminated all artificial sweeteners and HFCs, and keep processed sugars to an absolute minimum. While I haven't gone entirely organic, I do try and keep with as many whole foods as possible. I also keep grains to a minimum and when I do have them it's whole grains or oatmeal that I make from steel cut oats - no instant for me Quite honestly, I've pretty much lost my appitite for convenience and fast food.

Time to try and get something constructive accomplished. Have a great day!
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:53 PM   #180  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Hi everyone. Almost time for bed. Ate good today and got in a 5k walk. The weather is wretched-we're getting Meowee's weather but no thunder storms yet.

Only a few more days and I'll be heading home to my scales to see if there has been any damage done while on vacation.
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote