Old 05-18-2008, 08:57 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 210

Height: 5ft7in

Default standing all day= sore swollen feet= no desire to excercise

I stand all day at work and most days my feet are so sore and swollen I just want to sit with my feet up. Even in the morning my feet still hurt. meds don't help I've changed my shoes and bought arch supports, gel insoles and socks that suppozedly lend support to your feet, and the problem persists. I have no desire to walk, run, or do anything that involves being on my feet. I guess maybe I need to go to a podiatrist but does anybodyhave any tips to help sore feet
Pixiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:03 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Pixie,

I don't have any tips, but my DD & SIL own a B&B and they stand all day. My DD has often said that she wishes sneaker companies would make standing shoes as well as running shoes.

Lynn
ladyinweighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:17 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 210

Height: 5ft7in

LIW> exactly! I have even googled shoes for standing and there is no such thing! Personally I think companies should relax their policies on standing, versus sitting, standing all day cannot be healthy! A stool to sit on between costomers would be so nice!
Pixiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:12 AM   #4  
Taking Care of Me

S/C/G: 252/221/140

Height: 5'5"

I understand this completely. A lot of times I do not even get a lunch break and am required to stand the full eight hours. I have the same problem with my feet. They are swollen and painful. Make sure to always wear quality shoes. In the evenings it's a good idea to elevate your feet to help with the swelling. Foot Spas with epson salts may help a bit too, the bubbles massaging your feet feel wonderful.
For exercise, I take water aerobics. Very kind to your feet.
chay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:36 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

http://www.standingcomfort.com/shoes...-standing.html

Try the above link.
ladyinweighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 12:57 PM   #6  

I do recommend that you go to a podiatrist, if that's possible. I have had trouble with my feet for many years, and podiatrists can do wondrous things.
Dinahgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 01:06 PM   #7  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I do suggest you see a doctor about them.
Other ideas - DH has to stand all day and they have a special mat under their work area that helps some. While you wouldn't be able to stand on it exclusively, maybe in-between customers?

As far as exercise - how about a stability ball, mat and stretchie band or dumbbells? you could at least get in some toning and strength training without having to stand on your feet. Strengthening your core could also help with your feet. I found that once I strengthened my lower back, I stood differently and it DID help my feet quite a bit.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 01:34 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

If your feet feel like you're walking on hot coals, and it's actually worse after you've rested for a while (like after you've been sitting for a bit, or even first thing in the morning), you might have plantar's fasciitis, which will very likely require a doctor's help in controlling.

I had plantar's fasciitis when I was working on my feet, and wearing shoes without sufficient arch support. At the time, I didn't have insurance that would pay for a podiatrist until I'd been treated by my family doctor first, which turned out ok, because my family doctor had experience with pf himself. Still, it took a couple years to get it under complete control, to the point that it hasn't flared up since.

Steroid injections helped immediately, but weren't a permanent fix. They just helped me get by until my feet healed, and I found the right shoes. Arch support is critical with plantar's fasciitis. Some people who had it told me that it would never go away without custom-made orthotics, but my insurance didn't cover them and they were crazy expensive (I think over $1200 in 1990).

With experimentation, I found out that most inserts were useless, and only a few shoes work for me (unfortunately, expensive brands). Birkenstocks, Haeflinger, New Balance, and maybe Echos (I've got one pair, that seems to be ok). Now that New Balance carries a less expensive line, I don't know if their cheaper shoes would work as well as those that are over $75.

The biggest problem with plantar's fasciitis, is it's very hard to cure while it's flaring. And since it's hard to be able to get much time off your feel, when your job requires you to be on your feet, it can be hard to get rid of.

I don't know if soaking helped cure it, or just made my feet feel better, but I invested in one of those foot massage baths (heaven!) on my doctor's suggestion. But, make sure it's ok with your doctor, because if you don't have great circulation in your feet, you have to take special precautions.

Whatever you do, don't let any doctor tell you that plantar's fasciitis and other foot pain problems are just "normal" for someone who is overweight and that nothing can be done except weight loss. It just isn't true. I weighed 300 lbs, when I first had pf. I'm sure my weight contributed to the pf, but it happens to people of all sizes, and treatment helps even if you're very, very overweight. In fact, once I found my prevention strategy, I haven't had a flare since, even with almost 100 lb weight gain from that point. Even at nearly 400 lbs, my feet and legs would get sore, as in tired, from walking, but never that burning, throbbing sensation on the bottoms of my feet.

Another thing, that I really think did help was swimming. The water made my feet feel better (at least in the water) and I could get in some exercise without pain. Although, again, I think you should see a doctor before you try to treat it anymore yourself.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 01:41 PM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

As for exercise--once you've eliminated or ruled out plantar fasciitis--almost any kind of movement will help reduce the swelling. Swimming would be good--not laps, if you're not up to that, but being in a pool and doing slow kicks with your legs can help. Or using a float board and going across the pool a few times.

Do you have access to an exercise bicycle? This might be a way to exercise without putting so much weight on your feet--however, you do need to have supportive shoes even for this. Some people like recumbent bikes, where you are more reclining than sitting upright--but for others, these don't work well.

When you go to your doctor to have your feet checked, ask about exercises for someone who is your size. There must be some you can do without walking.

You can also start a weight loss program based only on restricting food, and then later increase exercise, when you're better.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:08 PM   #10  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Oh my what a timely thread . . . just got back from shopping and since it turned into such a gorgeous and really spring-like day, spent a couple of extra hours wandering around the open-air market. Unfortunately it is staged in a massive parking lot so too much walking on pavement has done my ankles in for the day.

I was born with flat-feet and they really started to complain as I got older and heavier. I never wear anything without good arch support, but still have some pretty difficulat times. I don't think I'd ever be able to manage on my feet all day.

Definitely agree with the comments from the others, try to at least get some strength buidling stuff done with weights while seated; and ball-balancing with your feet up on a lowish stool is great for the abdominals.

All the girls at my hairdressers use those link together exercise mats at their stations and swear that they make a big difference. Have you tried them?
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote