Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 01:04 PM   #241  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Good luck with the book hunting, Meowee.

Tomorrow is my weigh in and I can't exercise today. I slipped when giving mom her bath and injured my thumb. It was quite the freak accident. After I soap mom up I always rinse my hand and the hand held shower head so it doesn't slip out of my hand. I was just about to do that and I reached for the faucet handle and my hand slipped on the handle and I fell into the bath but my thumb got jammed in the drain hole and I thought it was broken. I can't use my step bands because I can't take any pressure on my thumb and it's my right hand!!! I don't think it's broken but it's too sore to bend without discomfort. It's not swollen or bruised and I iced it as soon as I got mom out of the tub. I think it will be all right in a few days. Oh, my reading this over almost made me laugh at the thought of how I fell. I'll try and get in a walk instead of the circuit workout.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:45 AM   #242  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

OMG you couldn't have done that if you'd been trying ISABELLA -- although why you'd want to try to get your thumb stuck in the bathtub drain is beyond me -- hope it soon feels better.

And a great Good Morning for everybody else, too. IKE is lambasting Texas. Hope everybody stays safe.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:25 PM   #243  
Isabella

My thumb is now swollen and quite sore. And you're right, Meowee, I couldn't have done that if I'd practiced it for a month. I was lying in bed last night and went into a fit of laughter just thinking about how I'd fallen. I was shaking so hard DH rolled over to see what was wrong.

No exercise today but tomorrow I walk so I won't need to use my thumb for that.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:24 AM   #244  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning -- not too gorgeous so far today; overcast and muggy -- think it will be a good day for some indoor chores.

Isabella, maybe you should get that sucker x-rayed just to be on the safe side????

Later . . . gang.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:35 AM   #245  
Isabella

A gorgeous day here so far. Great day for my walk.

My thumb is not as swollen today--I can actually see the wrinkles in the knuckle more distinctly this morning. I thought of going to emergency at the clinic when it happened but the thought of waiting around for 2 or 3 hours almost made me want to push my other thumb down a drain hole. (Well, not quite!) I have hardly any bruising at all, just a slight discoloration on the knuckle and no one would even notice it without a close look. I'm not one to go to the clinic unless I have to. I once had a fractured shoulder and never had x-rays for over two weeks and they showed nothing. After 9 months of pain I went back and was sent to get an x-ray with the dye injected in my shoulder. That's when they found a hair line fracture which explained the pain. So the thumb might follow that pattern. Oh, my I'm terrible that way.

Enough about my aches and on to my walk. Must rouse DS out of his coma so he can watch Nanny while I walk. DH just left to look at someone's car so that leaves DS in charge when I'm walking.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:42 AM   #246  
Sherianne

S/C/G: 207/198/140

Height: 5'3"

Hi Ladies!
It has been a busy few days. First, my son turned 16 so we had a small party for him. Saturday we went to the county fair and today I harvested and processed garden stuff all day. I made a big batch of green salsa and tomorrow I will make tomato sauce. I pulled all the old squash vines, harvested pumpkins and winter squash and picked beans. Our vacation in August was really hard on the garden. Many of the squash vines were so heat stressed that they produced very little. The pumpkins seem to have made it through okay, though.

I have gained a couple of pounds. I am thinking it is water weight as my rings, which had been getting very loose, are tight again, with puffy fingers. Too much salt, not enough water. So, I went back to Atkins induction and I will do that for a week with lots of water and see what happens.

Isabella, I hope your thumb is better. A sore thumb will really put a crimp on things! Usually, if a didget is really swollen and sore it is sprained, but not always.

It has been really beautiful here. The weather for the fair was in the 80's with a little breeze and the sky has been that deep azure blue that happens here in the fall. Trees are starting to turn and I noticed today that the black headed grosbeaks are gone, which means fall is just around the corner. When I was working in the garden today there were a dozen baby lizards scuttling about...little fence swifts running along the tops of my raised beds. My husband had not been out to the garden with me in a while and he had fun finding the pumpkins in the grass. I grew a really delicious pumpkin this year; kuri is a small Japanese pumpkin that is especially sweet and flavorful. The vines are very prolific; they make me feel like a good gardener! I grew almost all of my own starts this year and there are few things I just love...Chadwick's, an open pollinating cherry tomato bears so many tomatoes that I am awash in them...blackie, an heirloom tomato is so sweet and flavorful that it is amazing and I grew collard greens for the first time. I adore collard greens!

Next year I am going to expand the garden so I can actually put up more food and be more self-reliant food wise with things to harvest from the garden year round. I feel so healthy from eating so much really fresh produce. I want to keep it up all year long.

We were going to get a new regrigerator and a freezer, but we ended up getting our son a loptop for his birthday and so we will have to wait a little longer and budget those in! I guess I will have to can some things until we get a freezer.

Well, time for bed. I need to start getting to bed earlier now that school has started. G'night!

Sheri
Old 09-15-2008, 07:51 AM   #247  
Isabella

Wow, Sheri, you did a lot of work yesterday. I should start a garden next spring. Haven't done it in years but I always enjoyed the fresh produce. I had a little green house at one time and grew cucumbers, tomatoes, and squash. I can grow them without the greenhouse but they grow so much better in our short season with one. DH has wood piled in my garden spot and it won't be gone by next spring. I'm gonna look for another spot in the garden. Now that I've got the patio doors in the dining room I get so much light that I can start seed early in the spring. It was always a problem with no large windows on that side of the house but problem is solved.

Congratulations to you son on his 16th birthday. A laptop was the perfect gift. You can always get a freezer another time but his 16th birthday comes only once. Your vacation weight will probably come off soon as you get back into the routine of everyday life. My watch is my indicator if I've gained or lost weight.

My thumb is still swollen but less each day and I can bend it a little more each day. Still hurts if I bump it though. I don't think I'm going to try my circuit workout with the step bands today as the thumb is still too sore. I think I'll get on my bike for an additional ride. I might just leave the circuit until next week. The worst part of not doing the circuit is that when I start up again my muscles will be sore for a few days readjusting to the exercise.

Have a great day chickies.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:34 AM   #248  
Onward and Downward

Looks like we are back to the yucky hot and sticky Summer stuff for today -- also lots of wind and on-again, off-again rain -- our little bruch with Ike, I guess.

Our gas prices have gone sky-high over the weekend, too.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:41 AM   #249  

S/C/G: 180/180/130

Hi, I am new to this, this is first time on. How does it work, do we just try and lose weight on our own, or are different diets suggested?
Old 09-15-2008, 09:16 AM   #250  
Onward and Downward

Hi there . . . to the Age-50 + group and also . . . glad you found us.

No special diet plan for this particular group but if you take a look over in the Diet Central area . . . http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=102 . . . you'll see that just about every popular plan -- the healthy ones -- has it's own area.

Personally, I tend to combine the principles of the lower GI/GL plans with the tenets of Volumetrics; but the Chickies around this group follow lots of different programs. We do have an on-going monthly Accountability Thread (up in the Sticky area) that a lot of us use to help keep us on track.

This is a very big site, so take your time and have a good look around. You'll find lots of places that will catch your interest -- just jump in and start posting wherever the spirit moves you -- you will always receive a big welcoming

Hope to see you back with us again soon, too -- we will be looking forward to getting to know you better.

Have a great day . . .

Last edited by meowee; 09-15-2008 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:51 AM   #251  

S/C/G: 158/141/130

Height: 5' 1"

Good Monday morning chickies. Sounds like lots of activity around here over the weekend.
I'm upset this morning with my scale. I worked hard this weekend and it says I'm up again. Granted I didn't eat very well, just too busy. Saturday we cleaned out our flower beds and got them ready for fall and then I got some laundry done, that means running up and down stairs. Didn't have much for breakfast and skipped lunch as we were going to a football party and eating there. Our host made soup with lots of beans and tomatoes and I only had 1 big soup ladel full plus a couple small slices of cheese and a couple of saltine crackers. I did drink 1 lite beer during the evening.
Sunday I ate a half ww bagel with a smear of peanut butter and put raisins on it for breakfast and a cup of coffee. We went to cut fire wood. About mid morning I ate some peanuts and had a bottle of green tea. Drank lots of water and then at 1pm I ate some pretzels. We cut wood for 4 hours and then when we got home it took another hour to unload and stack it. Supper was turkey cuttlets and wild rice and a veggie. So what is up with the gain, not enough to eat ? Think it will go away in a couple of days. It seems like it takes me a couple of days after any strenous exercise to show on the scale. NOT giving up yet !!!!

Isabella: Sure hope your thumb is better. I even had a good laugh at your expense. Sorry. I work for a physical therapist and believe me we hear some good stories about how people get injured. Keep icing.

Sheri: You had a busy weekend too. Sounds like you have a pretty big garden. If I didn't work full time I'd love to have a garden, just seems like when I get home I don't want to have to work all evening too.

Meowee: Hope all is well with you. Looks like summer will return here this week
too. WIND!!!! It blew 30-40 mph yesterday here. Guess that is a tropical storm
Don't mean to make fun of those poor people that are in the paths of those
hurricanes. They don't sound fun at all.

Falconbridge: Hope you will enjoy your time at 3fc. You can't find a better site to get motivation from. As Meowee said, look around there are all kinds of places to go to see how everyone is doing their own thing. We always enjoy having new folks here.

Have to run, tomorrow I won't be here but will check in again on Wednesday.
Maybe I can come up with some great wisdom by then. Donna
Old 09-15-2008, 12:53 PM   #252  
Isabella

Hi Falconbridge, come and post often. I'm a calorie counter and I love that. Everyone is doing what suits them best.

Donna, you had a busy weekend too. We burn wood most of the winter. We have a wood and oil furnace but the oil is only a back up for the most part. DH had a pallet load of wood delivered last week. I think he said it was over 6 cords of wood. He and DS cut it all up last week and as of Sunday have it all stacked. I used to help but someone has to be in the house with mom so DS is the better choice to help with the wood.

You must be retaining a little water weight because you didn't eat very much over the weekend and you certainly got in lots of physical activity. BTW, you have my permission to have a laugh at my expense. It was quite the freake fall. I had a laugh after the fact myself.

Meowee, we're having a gorgeous day here although the wind is very brisk. It rained just a bit mid morning and now the sky is blue with big white puffy clouds. I'd love to be outside today but it's just mom and me this afternoon and she's in no mood for an outing today. Tomorrow we'll go shopping and take our friend along to help.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:28 AM   #253  
Onward and Downward

Hi there . . .

We had a drastic change in wind direction and temperatures overnight. Unfortunately, and in spite of what the weather forecast is telling me, we still seem stuck in a heavily overcast situation. Hopefully it will bust some sun later.

Nothing exciting for me today -- some laundry -- some packing (for that little trip to NC this weekend) -- and a trip to the Drugstore. Oh . . . and keeping an eye on gas prices. Apparently they went down quite a bit overnight in Ontario and places west, but not around here.

Have a great day . . . see you all later . . .
Old 09-16-2008, 10:16 PM   #254  
Isabella

My thumb is still sore which is really putting a wrinkle in my exercise routine. I've decided to drop the circuit workout with the step bands for a week or so until the thumb is completely healed. I'm going to walk/jog and do my exercise bike every day instead.

Today I only got in a 23 minute jog before I went shopping with mom. I was going to finish it when I got home but by the time I got supper for mom and took a phone call and then got something to eat for myself I was just too tired to tackle any more exercise. Pushing a wheel chair for 4 to 5 hours today must account for some kind of exercise.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:55 PM   #255  
Sherianne

S/C/G: 207/198/140

Height: 5'3"

Hi chickies!
I have two tests to write and I am procrastinating. My husband started talking politics and I got depressed about that so I decided to come here and get cheered up before I begin writing tests.

Isabella, you exercise a lot and you count calories. It seems like those strategies really work for you. I am finding it very hard to get the exercise back in my schedule and it has slowed down my weight loss. I am thinking that I will need to make sure to exercise each day of the weekend and try to add a couple of days in during the week. I need to go to bed between 8 and 9 PM and to get up by about 5 AM to get ready for work and do all the extra things I need to do like house work and laundry. With meetings, grading papers and planning it seems like there is so little time left for myself and then I just want to relax. I know exercise is the challenge for many people trying to lose weight. And, I know I will get discouraged if my weight loss gets really slow. I guess I just need to be a little tougher on myself and let go of some things to make more room for exercise. I am thinking that I will get myself one of those recumbent exercise bikes. My old bike is worn out, rusted and never was comfortable.

Isabella, keep me informed about how your plans for a garden go. Even a few things are so satisfying and they give you bragging rights!

I have been having a lot of fun with my students this year. Several factors made last year a very rough year for all of the teachers at my school. This year we decided to ban together and solve some of the problems that plagued our school last year. It is so much better already! Nothing like support and solidarity! I guess that is why 3fc is so successful and helps people so much!

Hi Falconbridge! Come on back and talk to us some more. Have you decided how you will plan your weight loss journey? I am on a modified Atkins diet...somewhere between Atkins and South Beach. Right now I have gone back to Atkins because my weight loss was slowing down. I really need to begin exercising more consistently again, though. Also, I have eliminated processed foods and I eat as many fresh veggie and fruits as I am allowed on my diet(s).

Hey Donna, I know all about firewood. We have been trying to get ours cut up and in the shed before it begins to rain. My husband has been stockpiling it because the price just keeps going up and we have not gotten the opportunity for free wood for a few years. One of our neighbors cleared land for a pond a few years ago and gave us all the wood...that was a boon! But, that wood is almost all gone and we are back to buying it. One good thing about working full time is that I am not at home needing a fire, so we use less wood. I love a wood fire for heat. It is so quick and comforting. The middle of the night chill is not so welcome, but it is one of the drawbacks of country living, I guess. Toting wood is great exercise, too!

Hi Meowee, hope all is going well for you. I had never heard of volumetrics. What is it?

Well, gotta go help hubby clean the kitchen and then off to bed. Talk to you soon!

Sheri
Closed Thread