Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 07:42 AM   #196  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen3 View Post
Cat...The area we moved from in MD had a big Creole connection. Apparently on the Southern move from Arcadia they spend years living on The Eastern Shore. They still have competitions every winter with La watermen in things like muskrat skinning. And everyone there wears white boots, too. And every winter have ham, coon, and muskrat dinners.(shivering again!)
White boots, huh? Here we call them Cajun Reeboks!
It was the Cajuns that came from Acadia after they were booted out by the English around 1755. The Creoles were here for a while before that.

Last edited by femmecreole; 05-21-2008 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:14 AM   #197  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Morning...Sorry Cat! Just figure my mind is getting old. Karen3
Old 05-21-2008, 10:09 AM   #198  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Hello everyone. Yesterday I walked outside and got too much sun on my arms and face. I have a sun allergy/intolerance and I break out in a very itchy rash. I took my mom shopping and had to buy Benadryl itch relief cream and applied it right there in the pharmacy of the superstore. Later on when we got home I took 2 Benadryl tablets around 8:30 pm. Wow, did they knock me out. I think the house could have fallen down around me and I wouldn't have known. Anyway, I must remember to put on sunscreen and long sleeves when I'm exposed to high UV rays. It's funny that as the summer progresses I get less sensitive and can stand longer exposure. I'm usually pretty good applying sunscreen though.

I bought a new pair of shoes yesterday. White open toe heels. Very cheap ($14.92) from Walmart, but nice for the summer. Too high also but I'll only wear them going somewhere in the car. Now, I have to get a tan on my legs, but I'll get that from a bottle.

Hollie, I never learned to ride a bicycle when I was young because my mother was too worried I'd hurt myself. Well, I did. My husband also bought me a bike for my 40th birthday and I fell off and broke my arm. Every child should learn to ride a bike!!! Hope you do well learning. I'd love to learn to ride well but I'm so frightened I'll fall again. Oh well, I'll stick to my exercise bike.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:56 AM   #199  
Kathleen

S/C/G: 308/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4-1/2"

Good morning, everyone.

Nice cool morning - about 60 degrees when I got up. I'm so happy we have cooled off around here. I just threw open doors and windows yesterday and enjoyed the breezes. Today should be more of the same.

I didn't do much yesterday but spend a lot of time downloading pictures from my last cruises and trying to sort them out. I have to hurry up and do that as I am already forgetting some of the names of the people I met. I wrote them down but can't remember where the pad is with the names. I took a 15 day cruise around the Caribbean in November so there are lots of pictures. And I wonder why, when I download them off the disk in my camera, they don't download in the same sequence. Sometimes they are in order and sometimes they are totally backwards. At least they come out according to the date. I tried to send some pictures of my pup to some friends but they can't post them as they are on Adobe and it won't let them do more than either print them out or just look at them. Some people I met on my February cruise to Mexico wanted to post some pictures of my pup on the cruise message board but the program won't allow her to. Oh well.

Today is another quiet day. I hope to get some housework done - I'm allergic to work any more, it seems. But the pup is shedding like mad and I have a dark blue rug so I have to get it vacuumed as it looks horrid.

My new hydrangea plant is blooming like mad now - white blossoms tinged with some pink on the edges - so pretty. I also have a little hybiscus but had to put a fence around it as the pup kept trying to eat it. It has a very pretty pink bloom, but I can't see it for the fence.

The dietician for my HMO sent me a letter requesting that I set up an appointment to attend a meeting for diabetic food program. So, I go for 2 hours at the end of the month. There is also a six-week program but I said I would do the 2 hour one first and if I need to, I'll sign up for the longer program then. But I told her I am on SBD so I am already doing something.

I hope everyone has a lovely day.

Last edited by krosmon; 05-21-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:22 PM   #200  

S/C/G: 153/153/130

Default I'm back!

Just a quick note to let you all know I made it back last night from WA, where I was helping with my newest granddaughter. It was super fun! The experience didn't help my diet much, so I'm back on track. My goal is to lose 4 pounds before I leave to head back there in 2 weeks. It looks like I'm going to have time to exercise, so that should help!

I'll write more later, when I'm not at work:

Betsy in CA
Old 05-21-2008, 06:34 PM   #201  
Lifetime Loser

Hi all, we just finished planting our garden in the community garden here. We will have sooooo much if it all survives. 3 kinds of tomatoes, corn, gr. onions,radishes, cucumber, 2 kinds of squash, gr. peppers, gr. beans and sunflowers. My two granddaughters will plant pumpkin & watermelon plus whatever the parents want....they are BIG plots.

Weight is holding steady, not on any type of eating plan right now but have started my Oxysize (deep breathing) again.

Still a bit cool here in Ohio but glad I'm not in Florida with all the smoke right now and heat already. It is fire season, hope Karen you are safe.

Phyllis
Old 05-21-2008, 06:44 PM   #202  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Wow . . . I had one of those days . . . and I'm exhausted. Did manage to get Wii Fit today and tomorrow I actually hope to take it out of the box.

Other than that, not one of my better eating days -- breakfast out was fine; but lunch turned into a pear and a chocolate bar -- really need the new Wii.

See you all tomorrow.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:24 AM   #203  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

A reminder -

You can have it all (or close to it).
You just can't have it all right now.

"We cannot do everything at once,
but we can do something at once."

Lynn
Old 05-22-2008, 09:34 AM   #204  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Good reminder Lynn. I was at the grocery store the other day and I was looking at some fatty chips and my mom encouraged me to buy them but I told her I was just looking. Then I said out loud: "I can take a look but I won't take a lick."
Old 05-22-2008, 09:36 AM   #205  

Good Morning AGAIN GG's, i just wrote a long post and lost it, yet again. I know I should have backed it up. Some people never learn!

Karen31, I know you will enjoy your vacation with your family. I am going to see my family soon and am so looking forward to it.

Lori, School is almost out. What are you going to do with all that spare time?

Ariel. I think you will really enjoy the bike rides after you get comfortable with it. And it uses different muscles than walking, so you get a good work out too.

Can, Getting ready to enjoy the fruits of your labor. Garden sounds so interesting. It's still too cold here to plant much. We do have the tomatoes out and i'm getting anxious to get out there and do some more.

Phyllis, Your new home looked so lovely and you have a large garden plot too? I am so envious!

Isabella, I'm not alergic to the sun, but after a couple of CA scares I make sure I have sun screen on all the time. I never leave the house without it.

Lyn, You got a fitness WII? Let us know how much fun it is. I've been reading about them and think I might get a Wii for the kids this fall. And a fitness WII for me to use too. Anxious to see what you think about it.

Lynn, I totally agree with that quote. It just makes so much sense. I think we just have problems limiting ourselves. We want it all. And we can have it all, just not all at once.

Karen, Your children, and you, are so lucky to have al that information about your family. Someone was really thinking ahead when they got it all together and left it in safe keeping.

Everyone have a good day, Freda
Old 05-22-2008, 10:13 AM   #206  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi there . . . we have sunshine today . . . yippee.

Love those words to live by Lynn . . . you should try to incorporate them into the intro post for the next Accountability thread.

Have a great day, everybody . . .
Old 05-22-2008, 10:23 AM   #207  

S/C/G: 210

Height: 5ft7in

wow you all have such nice exciting little tidbits that make for happy reading! lets see what I can add......okay sunny day here in central Ohio, birds singing, dogs barking...I need to finish up the dresses I made for my granddaughters birthday. Her party is saturday altho yesterday was her actual birthday. She is seven years old. We went to her school for a reading tresure hunt and had a lot of fun together playing the games and choosing books from the book fair. She loves to have what she calls "Granma and Missie time" I love it too.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:39 AM   #208  
Kathleen

S/C/G: 308/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4-1/2"

Good morning, everyone.

Nice cool morning today. Supposed to cloud over later and they say there is the possibility of rain in the next day or so. Probably won't get much as it never rains much this time of the year. We had some fierce winds yesterday. I had vacuumed the house and as soon as it was done, the winds started up and, between the dog and the winds, it is worse than it was before I cleaned. But today is calm and overcast - good day to clean again. I rarely get winds where I live, so when they come, they really leave a mess. My mobilehome park has lots of trees and they do leave a mess.

Went to Trader Joes yesterday and got my almonds, lettuce and some other stuff. They had the cutest little hydrangea plant in a pot - kind of purple - so I bought it. Now to find a place to put it as my little patch of ground is getting full with all my other new bushes.

I took myself out for dinner yesterday - I get so tired of my own food. Had a nice cobb salad and ice tea. Probably not totally OP, but I didn't have any bread or dessert so it couldn't have been too bad.

Today is my singing group, but I may not go. We aren't doing anything except singing out of a big songbook. The class is supposed to go another two weeks and then we will have the summer hiatus.

More soccer to go watch on Saturday - Granddaughter has a game in Huntington Beach. My grandson also has a game but it is in San Diego so he won't be around - going with friends, I think. It should be fun - usually is.

Have a lovely day.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:19 AM   #209  

Height: 5' 8"

Just a quick hi to let you all know I haven't fallen off the face of the earth or anything.

holy moly where has the week gone!?! Meant to stop in and write more but somehow the days just keep getting away from me. Tried to skim through all the posts but afraid my skimming skills aren't quite what they used to be so I'll just have to say hope everyone is doing great!
Old 05-22-2008, 12:34 PM   #210  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Hi Everyone,

This afternoon, I'm meeting my DF for a movie (The Visitor) - then, I'm meeting 2 friends I used to work with for dinner. Busy day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by femmecreole View Post
Got together with a photographer buddy of mine yesterday over coffee and we began plotting out a photography project we are going to try to do together and maybe have made into posters or maybe a small coffee table book. Even if the poster/book doesn't work out, the field trips should be fun and be little "mini vacations" this summer.
Hi Cat, my latest project is a book about my family's ancestry. I'm having fun with that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krosmon View Post
I would love to take a photography class and learn how to do geneology. My mother's cousin was Mormon and used to travel around teaching geneology, but I only met her a couple times so didn't get to take lessons. I can't do it while I live where I do now as I don't have room to store anything. Maybe someday .....
Have a lovely day.
You are absolutely correct about needing room to store stuff when you do genealogy. My dining room table is generally covered with papers related to whomever I've been researching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowingair View Post
Hi, Sorry I've been out of touch for a while, like Cat I'm so busy with the end of school year work. I still have a couple more weeks. We get out June 12. I haven't been doing a great job on eating, exercising, or water lately, but I plan on getting back on track today. I need to go exercise. Lori
Hi Lori, Good luck with getting back on track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen3 View Post
Evening all....Lynn caught me out. Yes, both DH and I are into our family geneology. Mainly because we ended up with all the family records. Have tubs stored with pictures and records from both sides our families. Cousins show up occasionally to sort thru. Dh was only child and his grandmother saved everything. So neat, have pictures(tintypes) of great great great grand parents going back to early 1800's. A tons of postcards....with their pictures on them...think before telephone you sent a penny postcard. Hope someday one of our2 will take care of it all. Have the cookbooks that the womens society at church started making before WWII.....anyone want recipe for sourkraut chocolate cake? 'poss to taste like chocolate cocconut??????(can you tell I'm shivering!)
Hi Karen, you are SOOOO lucky! I've got virtually nothing from my family. I'm doing everything with the internet. Got my first research trip planned for June. Visiting the counties in NY state where my family farmed between 1750 and 1850 when most moved to Wisconsin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariela72 View Post
Hi all.
Lynn, you are in the Deleware GAp. . . KNow the area. Used to love to eat at the Black Bass. Is it still there?
Yes, it's here. My DH and I used to eat there before he had his stroke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krosmon View Post
The dietician for my HMO sent me a letter requesting that I set up an appointment to attend a meeting for diabetic food program. So, I go for 2 hours at the end of the month. There is also a six-week program but I said I would do the 2 hour one first and if I need to, I'll sign up for the longer program then. But I told her I am on SBD so I am already doing something.
I did a 6-week program + weekly meetings with my dietitian for several months. There really is a lot to learn.

A caution - in my classes, they recommended 40g of carbs/meal. By working with my dietitan, I found out that 40g is MUCH too high for me. I can tolerate around 25g. Each person is different. To figure out my system, I kept a log for several months where I checked my blood sugar level 8 times/day - waking; before breakfast; 2 hrs after eating; before lunch; 2 hrs after eating; before dinner; 2 hrs after eating; bedtime. At the same time, I logged what I ate at each meal & the number of carbs. I found out exactly what foods spike my blood sugar & how many carbs I can tolerate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy56 View Post
Just a quick note to let you all know I made it back last night from WA, where I was helping with my newest granddaughter. It was super fun! The experience didn't help my diet much, so I'm back on track. My goal is to lose 4 pounds before I leave to head back there in 2 weeks. It looks like I'm going to have time to exercise, so that should help! Betsy in CA
Hi Betsy, welcome back & good luck on meeting your goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarusty View Post
Still a bit cool here in Ohio but glad I'm not in Florida with all the smoke right now and heat already. It is fire season, hope Karen you are safe.
Phyllis
Hi Phyllis, pretty cool here also. Please remind me - where are you in OH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post
Wow . . . I had one of those days . . . and I'm exhausted. Did manage to get Wii Fit today and tomorrow I actually hope to take it out of the box.
Hi Linda, have fun with your Wii

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredone View Post
Good reminder Lynn. I was at the grocery store the other day and I was looking at some fatty chips and my mom encouraged me to buy them but I told her I was just looking. Then I said out loud: "I can take a look but I won't take a lick."
I like your saying. I often have waiters show me the dessert tray, but I don't order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the slim me View Post
Lynn, I totally agree with that quote. It just makes so much sense. I think we just have problems limiting ourselves. We want it all. And we can have it all, just not all at once.
Freda
Yes, when I read it, it resonnated with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post
Love those words to live by Lynn . . . you should try to incorporate them into the intro post for the next Accountability thread.
Will do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixiesue View Post
I need to finish up the dresses I made for my granddaughters birthday. Her party is saturday altho yesterday was her actual birthday. She is seven years old.
Wish Missie a Happy Birthday!

Have a GREAT day Everyone,

Lynn
Closed Thread