Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 07:39 PM   #151  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Evenin y'all....Just checking and read about everyone. Today was impossibly long. I left here at 8:15am and picked up my friend for her procedure at 9:15. Sat in the waiting room until 11:30 and started asking about her.Was supposed be total 3hrs there! 12:30 they tell me she is in the OR and will be 1/2hr there and then 45minutes in recovery.....By 2pm I am worried no reports...nada...4pm..."still in recovery"....Now the old war horse kicks in and starts raising a bite of noise. Turns out she has been in a side room asleep for 2 hrs. They let me back...I chat up a storm to get her laughing and finally discharged by 6:00pm. I have sat in a waiting room torture chair 9 flipping hours. My back hurts and have absolutely no sense of humor left. Could chew nails. Then had the hour drive home.......grrrrrrrrrrrr.

She is of course scared to death and won't get path report for a week.

Yeah, I know take 2 asprin and talk to you all tomorrow. I just hate incompetence.............grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Karen3

Last edited by Karen3; 05-16-2008 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:03 PM   #152  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Hi everyone. I had a busy day preparing the last of the food for mom's birthday party and then I got a phone call early this evening from my sister who informed me that she can't come. She was almost in tears because she misses mom so much. She's dependent on her daughter for a ride here (4.5 hours away) but my niece had an emergency with the dog she's sitting. The dog had to have emergency surgery today and that put an end to travel plans for now. Now I have a frig full of salads, roasts and cookies and birthday cake and ice cream and 3 less people to help eat it. I'm going to have to invite a few extra people over for supper tomorrow night.

Karen3 I hope your friend gets a good report. And I don't blame you one bit for growling--9 hours in a waiting room will do that to anyone.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:48 AM   #153  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

OMG . . . I feel really crappy (pun intended) this morning and I deserve every bit of agony I'm having -- big cookies and NSA ice cream melt-down yesterday. Hey this is a brand new day.

Hope everybody has a great weekend planned -- it's a long one for us in Canada -- Victoria Day Weekend which is the traditional 'opening the cottage for the season' weekend in most parts of the country. So far it is looking overcast and very foggy out there, but I do think it's going to be relatively mild for a change (hence the morning fog).

Well, better go visit a few more 3FC places before the next trip to the bathroom becomes neccessary. See you later . . .
Old 05-17-2008, 08:11 AM   #154  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning, Everyone,

I was supposed to spend the day with my friend today - doing genealogy & a movie. I was all dressed to go & she called to tell me she's feeling ill. Now, I'm all dressed up with no place to go. Anyone want a visitor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyodieterinvegas View Post
Happy Friday all you lovely GGs
I used to love to ride too Lynn I had horses when I was younger (even had one I bought as a yearling and trained myself) but haven't been on one in eons. Maybe now that my behind might actually fit in a saddle and is not so huge it would take a crane to hoist me up, I might give it a try again.
I had riding lessons twice a week from about 11 to 16. I got my niece involved with horses & she's ridden/had horses all her life. I never could get my DD into them. Since I've been an adult, I've ridden a couple of times/year. I was thinking about doing one of those equestrienne trips where you ride all day, so I started lessons again this year to prepare. I discovered that I can no longer ride for hours. 1 hour is enough. Between my back, my hip, my arthritis, I think my riding days are essentially over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen3 View Post
Today was impossibly long. I left here at 8:15am and picked up my friend for her procedure at 9:15. Sat in the waiting room until 11:30 and started asking about her.Was supposed be total 3hrs there! 12:30 they tell me she is in the OR and will be 1/2hr there and then 45minutes in recovery.....By 2pm I am worried no reports...nada...4pm..."still in recovery"....Now the old war horse kicks in and starts raising a bite of noise. Turns out she has been in a side room asleep for 2 hrs. They let me back...I chat up a storm to get her laughing and finally discharged by 6:00pm. I have sat in a waiting room torture chair 9 flipping hours. My back hurts and have absolutely no sense of humor left. Could chew nails. Then had the hour drive home.......grrrrrrrrrrrr.Karen3
Hi Karen, sorry for you and your friend. I hope you recover from stress of waiting & she gets good news about her report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredone View Post
Now I have a frig full of salads, roasts and cookies and birthday cake and ice cream and 3 less people to help eat it. I'm going to have to invite a few extra people over for supper tomorrow night.
Don't forget - the trash is ALWAYS an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post
OMG . . . I feel really crappy (pun intended) this morning and I deserve every bit of agony I'm having -- big cookies and NSA ice cream melt-down yesterday. Hey this is a brand new day.
Hi Linda, I REALLY know what you mean. While I was away & eating in a non-healthy way, I felt horrible. Have a good day today.

Check back later,

Lynn
Old 05-17-2008, 09:24 AM   #155  
Kathleen

S/C/G: 308/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4-1/2"

Good morning everyone.

Looks like we survived the hottest day of this heat wave yesterday. It was in the upper 90's, and when I got home in the afternoon, I just sat in front of the air conditioner and enjoyed it. But the bedroom was a bear - I only have a fan in there and at 4:30 this morning, it was still about 72 degrees. So, this morning, I am up at 5 a.m., let the dog out and here I am on the computer, as usual, with a nice hot cup of coffee and the door open to let in the cool breeze while it lasts. But I feel okay

I had a nice day yesterday. Went to my holistic doctor for my acupuncture and neck cracking. Looks like I have a new varicose vein - never had one before, but he stuck needles in it and it seems to be better today. Too much sitting around, I think. It is behind my right knee. Then he gave me a new herbal mix that is supposed to help with my weight loss, etc. Don't know what it really does but I feel better.

Then I met my son for lunch and we had a nice long conversation. I love it when it is just the two of us as he can tell me things re his business that he doesn't discuss in front of the family. Things are looking very good for him and I am so glad.

Stopped at the market on the way home and got some essentials plus that darn box of sugar free ice cream bars - had two on the way home - it was hot and I am really kind of stressed - tasted good, but this morning, the tummy is gripey.

No plans to do much today except some housework. I put Advantage on my pup as the groomer had to give him a flea bath, and now he keeps rolling over on the carpet - it must irritate his skin. First time he has had it. His appetite isn't what it was either. He never left food in his dish but the past two days, he has only eaten about half of his meal. Must be the heat.

Karen3, these long waits in hospitals seem to be the norm any more. I had to go to emergency about a year ago and I waited all night long, and finally walked out as no one had time to look at me. Another guy was in a wheelchair with a broken kneecap, and they never got to him, either. Only way to be seen right away is to come in on an ambulance, and even then, they put you in a bed and you lie there forever before they get to you unless you had a stroke or heart attack. You are a good friend to sit there that long and wait.

Have a lovely day and Happy Victoria Day, Cat.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:25 PM   #156  

Howdy y'll...Feeling much saner today. Had a hard time keeping my cool yesterday. I have said for years if you paid a hotel what you pay a hospital you would expect service. How can they treat people so disrepectfully? And because you have no choice but must come back. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr see still growling! My biggest problem was the nursing staff was just stupidly slow and in the 90 minutes I sat with my friend never saw a soul. No One and believe me I was watching. Having worked in an ER and all that good stuff am so aware of the potential happenings. 3 nurses at the desk and no one on the floor...not even at change of shift. I have such high expectations from my fellow nurses that slackers just kill me.

The prep for the tournament is growing. I now have 9lbs of thin sliced ham in vac strunk bags in freezer(need 5 more)and 15 packages of cheese in the refrig. 12lbs of coffee. Gonna need a van to cart all this stuff. Meet with Head Shriner today and looked over facility. Really nice and even comes with an ice machine, plus big coffee urns and enough folding chairs. a couple of extention cords would help.....know we have them somewhere around here??? Have ordered the rolls....Since am not in charge(partner who almost died is and is away until June 1st and asked me to cover her buns)

Okay...I am beginning to see a pattern here. Hummmmmmmmmm instead of get Mikie It's get Karen!

Time to start dinner, no ice water tonight, gonna have a chocolate martini! Just cause! Take care of yourself, eat healthy and hugs, Karen3
Old 05-18-2008, 01:49 AM   #157  

S/C/G: 240/240/180

Height: 5' 10"

Hi all.

Last two days were very busy. Friday's are intense for me because I try to get all my work done early so I can go play bridge. I am new to this island and there are only about 1500 people, so any social life you can make is nice. One of my voice students told me that this is a community of recluses. It fits. I have become more of a recluse as I have gotten older. Anyway, exercising first thing in the morning seems to be working. I am doing 30 minutes on my Gazelle. I watch movies, the time passes.

My brother's part was pretty short but intense - he was the bad guy. . . he did well and I hope it leads to more work for him, but I have been warned that there is probably going to be an actors strike. . . .

Karen, you are a wonderful friend to sit there for so long. I hope if I ever need it I have a friend like you. I hope she gets a good report.

Thanks for all the advice from everyone. It is really appreciated.

Tomorrow is a quiet day for me. Bruce will be out fishing most of the day (it is Salmon derby time here). I just bought a new vacuum and am finally going to rescue our house from the onslaught of dog hair (we have two big dogs).

Be well. Thanks for being here.

Hollie
Old 05-18-2008, 05:28 AM   #158  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning . . .

Had a good eating day yesterday and although the weight is still up, at least the blood sugar is back where it belongs this morning. Hoping for another OP day, for sure. For some strange reason, I've been up since 4am, so I'm also hoping to fit in a little nap. Luckily nothing too exciting in my plans anyway -- must do a little shopping, since I cannot survive for long without spinach, broccoli, and cauliflower and one of the chains has a special (today only) on sea scallops. So those are definitely on my menu for today. I will have to beat the cats off while I'm eating them, of course.

Other than that, SSDD (well not quite, since the tummy has settled again) for me -- hope the rest of you hve fun weekend plans.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:41 AM   #159  

Happy Sunday Morning, Everyone,

Today, I'm taking my Little Sister to see a local production of Li'l Abner. This was the first play I ever saw. Went with my mother and my sister when it first opened in NYC. I hope it's as good as I remember it.

Getting acclimated to being back on my healthy way of eating - consuming those carbs really triggered my munchies. Weight is bouncing around mightily - 150, 147, 149. Looking forward to being back in my "Zone."

Quote:
Originally Posted by krosmon View Post
Karen3, these long waits in hospitals seem to be the norm any more. I had to go to emergency about a year ago and I waited all night long, and finally walked out as no one had time to look at me. Another guy was in a wheelchair with a broken kneecap, and they never got to him, either. Only way to be seen right away is to come in on an ambulance, and even then, they put you in a bed and you lie there forever before they get to you unless you had a stroke or heart attack. You are a good friend to sit there that long and wait.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen3 View Post
I have said for years if you paid a hotel what you pay a hospital you would expect service. How can they treat people so disrepectfully? And because you have no choice but must come back. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr see still growling! My biggest problem was the nursing staff was just stupidly slow and in the 90 minutes I sat with my friend never saw a soul. No One and believe me I was watching. Having worked in an ER and all that good stuff am so aware of the potential happenings. 3 nurses at the desk and no one on the floor...not even at change of shift. I have such high expectations from my fellow nurses that slackers just kill me.
Have you gals seen Michael Moore's Sicko? Great movie if you're ready to get furious at the health care system in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariela72 View Post
My brother's part was pretty short but intense - he was the bad guy. . . he did well and I hope it leads to more work for him, but I have been warned that there is probably going to be an actors strike. . . .
Hi Hollie - oh no! We just are getting over the writers' strike! Guess we'll all just have to keep watching reality TV - no writers/no actors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post
Had a good eating day yesterday and although the weight is still up, at least the blood sugar is back where it belongs this morning. Hoping for another OP day, for sure. For some strange reason, I've been up since 4am, so I'm also hoping to fit in a little nap. Luckily nothing too exciting in my plans anyway -- must do a little shopping, since I cannot survive for long without spinach, broccoli, and cauliflower and one of the chains has a special (today only) on sea scallops. So those are definitely on my menu for today. I will have to beat the cats off while I'm eating them, of course.
Hi Linda, glad to hear your blood sugar is back down. You and I have the same shopping list. I actually eat the same stuff so often that I've got the list stored in WORD & just print out when I'm ready to shop.

Have a Happy Sunday, Everyone,

Lynn

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 05-18-2008 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:23 AM   #160  
Kathleen

Good morning.

Looks like the heat wave is moving out finally. I didn't do anything yesterday but sit in front of the air conditioner, watch tv and read. I was up this morning at 5:30 and it is still 73 degrees in the house, so I have thrown open the door to cool it down in here. It was about 97 on the computer and 102 on my deck yesterday, but now it shows 70 degrees. I'll take whatever cool I can find.

The crown on one of my front teeth fell out yesterday so I have to get hold of the dentist tomorrow to glue it back on. The stub that it is glued to broke off once so there isn't too much for it to stick to any more. I have been pretty careful not to bite into anything too thick like an apple, etc., but I bit into some chicken and out it popped. I think the dentist should just make a partial and let's forget about the crown.

Weight is way up and I know it is because I'm not moving. So, today, I am going down to be with my kids and grandkids - lunch and a movie probably. Anything to keep from sitting down all day in front of the tv or computer. It has just been too hot to do much. Even my plants that I water every day were dying with the heat. But I watered them a lot last night and they are revived this morning.

Not much else going on right now. Hope everyone has a lovely day.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:25 AM   #161  

Morning all...Just popped in to say hello.

Hollie....How fanastic to find another bridge player. It is a grand game and totally addictive! What kind of fuzz faces do you have?

Linda...You absolutely must get BS under control 'cause aren't you going on a trip soon? I love sea scallops. Our season for bay scallops starts soon. Did you know those little guys travel miles by kinda squirting a jet stream? They follow the water temp. You dive down with a net to get them.

Lynn...I saw Lil Abner in NYC,too. And last year took a friend (who had never ever been to a play) to a local play house to see Lil Abner. The songs instantly come back to you and get humming in the old brain. She'll love it. It is such hooky fun. And thanks now they will be batting around in my head all day.....Who was the big blonde who played Daisy Mae???? See you are causing me brain spasms.

Well off to buy groceries....as she hums cornpone out the door. Hugs, Karen3
Old 05-18-2008, 10:28 AM   #162  

Hi Karen,

I saw it with Stubby Kaye and Eddie Adams. Have no clue who played Li'l Abner.

Lynn
Old 05-18-2008, 10:59 AM   #163  
Kathleen

My, we are dating ourselves. The show opened on Broadway in 1956 and starred Peter Palmer as Lil Abner. Charlotte Rae was Mammy Yokum. Also Tina Louise and Julie Newmar were in the cast. I never saw the show but did see the movie. Lots of fun. It isn't done much any more. Too bad. I'd love to see it again. I turned 20 that year. I can't believe I was ever that young.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:05 PM   #164  

S/C/G: 240/240/180

Height: 5' 10"

Hi all.

Karen, not sure what you mean by fuzz faces. I learned to play bridge in my first marriage and haven't played until now. It is a nice group of women, two or three tables from 1 to 4 on Fridays. I am really enjoying it.

Lynn, I just noticed you are in Bucks County - Where? I lived in Lancaster when my hubby at the time taught at F & M. I sang with the Bucks County Opera a few shows back in the early 80s. South central Pennsylvania is really beautiful country.

I have been living here a year and have gotten used to the fact that just about everything is closed on Sundays except the churchs and the bars. . lol. I do grocieries Mondays and Fridays. I have to shop often because the "fresh" stuff like produce takes so long to get here that it is a bit old to start with and won't last in the frig. I eat a lot of salad. Thank heaven I married a guy who likes veggies!!! Anyway, hope you all have a great weekend.

Hollie
Old 05-18-2008, 04:54 PM   #165  
Onward and Downward

Kathleen . . . they can screw a post into the root area to hold the crown . . . sounds awful, but it isn't.

Wonder of all wonders, I had a nap and when I got up again (around noon) it had turned into completely different day. Not only sunny but actually in the high 60's, although still windy. More rain in the forecast for tomorrow, though. anyway, went out and got my shopping done and bought some more quilt fabric -- better for the weight and the diabetes than a few other things I could spend the money on, I guess. Problem is, will I ever make it into anything or just add it to the stash. In case you don't know, the quilter's credo is "She who dies with the most fabric wins" Then walked around the open air places until I'm right tuckered out and my ankles are screaming at me -- need more grass and less pavement to walk on in that location.

Karen . . . I'm back from that little trip and everything was fine until my NSA ice cream and cookies pig-out. Not going anywhere until late September now.

These are the big marshmallow-sized sea scallops, but I love the Bay Scallops too and they are usually a much more reasonable price and are great in a stir fry because they cook so fast.

So . . . guess I'd better go think about what to have with those scallops. . . see you, gang . . .

Last edited by meowee; 05-18-2008 at 05:00 PM.
Closed Thread