Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 02:10 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Hello y'll...Still having a giggle fit over vision of me without panties flying off. Think my frustration level max'd out over so many things yesterday that I couldn't control. The one thing where I could maintain control was what I put in my mouth....which for me is actually a new beginning. I controlled intake instead of a binge for comfort. Come to think of it I was whining about being stuffed!

Kathleen...you are in a great place to work on your prediabetic state. So many of the ladies here are doing the same. I have a diabetic Dh and after 15 yrs of watching his intake has just recently had to start on pills.

Missing so many peoples....where are you? Zoe,Karen31,Brigit,Em, Cat,Phyllis,LadyDeb,Michele....to name a few. Miss you!

Weird weather down here. It is bright sunny day and raining hugh drops every 1/2 hr just enough to screw up my windshield. Between that, pine pollen and palm pollen my grey car is green.

Take care of yourself, eat heathy and hugs...Karen3
Old 04-03-2008, 02:39 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hello Ladies, I'm still here--- just getting frustrated more and more with trying to sell the house! And then Tuesday I woke up at 4 am and was sick to my stomach all day long! Yesterday I felt better but my ribs were really sore from beign sick so much the day before--- today I think I'm back to "normal"!!

Welcome to the new girls!! I'll get caught up again in a couple days!
Well, we have had sunshine and snow here today--- still prediciting 2 to 5 inches of that lovely white stuff!! YUCK!!

Our contract with this realtor is up on the 12th and we are trying to decide what to do next. We have a lady coming out to talk to us tomorrow about one of those "flat fee' real estates. Don't know for sure how that works guess we'll find out. We did talk to one and they said by going to them it would only save us "maybe" $700. So if that is the case we may as well stay with our original realtor. We really just need a buyer!!

Well, I need to get busy after being lazy the last couple days and get some work done before the realtor comes out tomorrow morning.. Guess I'd better go and chase the vacuum cleaner!!

Take care everyone and have a great day!
Old 04-03-2008, 04:48 PM   #33  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi there Karen and Karen . . . Wonder where everybody else is hiding.

KAREN31 . . . Is it just the market or do you think that maybe a new realtor could bring some new ideas to the mix?

Later . . .
Old 04-03-2008, 05:21 PM   #34  

Hi Linda -- I think it is mostly the market right now. But I'm hoping that now that the weather SHOULD start turning nicer that maybe we will get some activity from it. Our realtor sent a report to us and said there have been over 5,968 viewers that have seen our ad on realtor.com but still no concrete offers. Still trying to stay patient!
Old 04-03-2008, 06:02 PM   #35  

Height: 5'3"

Good afternoon, Golden Girls!! I hope you are all having a a "golden day!!
We are having a beautiful day though seems a little chillier to me than yesterday...maybe it's just me cause I'm hiding out here in the house on the 'puter and my dh is working outside in the yard and seems to be plenty warm! I should be out there helping him I guess. He says it is going to start raining again tomorrow through Sunday so wants to get the yard shaped up before then.

Started out our day as usual at the gym ...I was a tiny bit sore and it was a little more tiring today but after 3 months not going, I have to expect that! Actually I am really glad to be back to it although it is hard to get myself up to go. I was glad to see my weight is heading down again after my increase and I think with the combination of cutting back on snacks and getting back to the gym I should lose better now...at least I hope so.

The DVD I ordered from Netflix came so am setting up my computer in the garage and planning to exercise there esp on no-gym days.

Was reading today that for middle age women hoping to prevent fractures due to loss of bone density, it is good to get about 110 micrograms a day of Vit K. Those women who get the most Vit K from foods tend to have less fractures. I'm going to check how much is in my supplements but I do eat quite a lot of green veggies and am always trying to increase my intake of them. I have osteoporosis but it has been improving and I want that to continue. I try to get 2-3 dairy servings a day and also take calcium with D, Zinc and potassium daily.

I'm a diabetic too but am handling it (so far) with diet and exercise. I count my diabetic carbs (15 gms carbohydrate=1 diabetic carb) as well as my calories. Gets kinda tiresome but it's necessary for me.

Krosmon: Welcome to the forum!

Karen: Hope you can sell your house soon. I know how frustrating that can be! I HATE selling a house!
Old 04-03-2008, 11:07 PM   #36  

Hello Golden Girls!! I just wanted to do a quick post here tonight. I got a quick email from Marylynn in reply to one that I had sent her. She apologized for being MIA for awhile and also for not getting this recipe posted sooner. She has been very busy and will be back with us very soon ---- WE ALL MISS YOU!!!

Homemade Laundry Detergent

1 Bar of Fels Naptha Soap (can be found on the detergent aisle of Krogers, Walmart does not carry)

Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (NOT baking soda, again this can be found on the laundry aisle of Krogers)

20 Mule Team Borax Powder

A clean 5 gallon bucket

Directions:
The original recipe calls for ½ bar of Fels Naptha per five gallons but I’ve tossed caution to the wind and become a big spender by using the whole bar per bucket.

Either grate this bar & stir it into hot water or do it my way & simmer the bar in hot water in your largest soup pot until the bar has dissolved.

Once dissolved add one cup of washing soda & one cup of borax powder. Again, the recipe calls for ½ cup but I tend to live on the wild side. Dissolve in the soup pot with your melted bar of soap.

It will boil over in a flash, might want to keep an eye on it.

Pour into the empty five gallon bucket & keep adding boiling water to the bucket until it’s full. Initially it will look like bright yellow liquid but will start to gel as it cools. Once it cools the liquid will partially break down so it looks like you have a bucket of chicken soup.

½ Cup per load, works best in cold water. Follow the rinse cycle with ½ cup of white vinegar and line dry if you’re feeling like going green that day.

Use ½ cup of solid/gel in the washer & reserve the liquid to use in my dishwasher. Again, in the dishwasher use about 1/5 cup vinegar in the rinse & the dishes are coming clean & without traces of soap film.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:01 AM   #37  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi Golden Girls . . .

Oh wow . . . and to think I compalin about having to do laundry, now.

Just a quick "HI" this morning . . . doctor's appointment . . . then just might take my first stroll on the boardwalk -- it's sunny, relatively windless, and temp is supposed to hit 12C/54F today . . . . . . but guess what is in the forecast for tomorrow -- yep, the "S" word again. Hopefully this is the last of it. Please, please, please.

See you later . . .
Old 04-04-2008, 09:04 AM   #38  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning all, Nice and sunny outside, although the warm part isn't here yet. But after all those gloome, grey days, i'll take the sun.

Kathleen, Sorry to here about your diagnosis, but Linda is right, It's not the end of the world. Get some diabetic counseling. I just went to a diabetic "lunch and Learn" program at work yesterday. Things are changing every day as we learn more about how to treat diabetes.

Karen31, Glad to see you again. I know you are so frustrated with trying to sell your house and get back to your family. They do say that things pick up in the spring, so i'm crossing my fingers (and my eyes) for you!

Mary, That day after exercise sore feels kind of good, after not exercising for awhile. Lets you know that you have muscles in places you didn't know you had muscles. I take vitamines too. But the information we get about taking this one or that one changes all the time. Most of them don't hurt, but you have to be careful of the fat soluable ones.

Karen3, I'm glad to see that your little "funk" is over. We all have those days, and your's didn't last long. And you still managed to stay on point! Hot great is that? And complaining about being too full. Wish that was one of my complaints!

Go make this a good day, Freda
Old 04-04-2008, 09:07 AM   #39  
Lifetime Loser

Well Karen we still haven't had any lookers at our condo in Florida recently even after lowering the price again. We will not lower it any further and will probably rent it to our son when his apt. lease is up in Nov. It's a shame the way the market is now, Florida is one of the worst states but up here in Ohio I think it is bad from all the signs I see. Good luck, I bet yours sells when the weather breaks.

Hey Karen 3, we had our air conditioner on before we moved several times already this year. That is way early for the heat to start...I will not miss those long months of muggy, steamy, hot days. It will get hot here I know but I will be so happy to see seasons again....the trees are starting to bud here, I can't wait.

Lynn, thanks for the welcome back. How are you feeling? You've done so well with the weight loss. Speaking for myself I am sure I am back almost to where I started last year with 2 wks. of eating out every meal, wine with dinner....I feel so bloated.

So yesterday I cut the wine out and cutting down on starches. Monday I will go back to counting calories or WW I think and back to my walking dvd until spring has sprung.

Linda, your still getting snow???d Bless your heart, keep the faith spring will arrive.

Lyn, I'm glad your loving retirement so far....it gets better and better. And your staying active at the gym....I need to get my self moving also....I would have thought unpacking would have helped!

Freda, my dd is moving from MI to Tenn. in June, her dh is already working down there. They loved Grandville and hate to leave but wow you all have so much snow. Are you close to her area, we may be up there babysitting this month.

Hi to all the new ladies.....

Phyllis

Last edited by floridarusty; 04-04-2008 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:07 AM   #40  
Kathleen

S/C/G: 308/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4-1/2"

Good morning, everyone.

Looks like it is going to be another nice day here in So. Calif. Still cool but we enjoy it while it lasts.

I stepped on the scale this morning and am down another lb. I have a long ways to go yet, but at least I'm headed in the right direction. I used to be able to lose up to 10 lbs. the first week of a new diet, but so far this time, I am down 4 lbs. and not complaining. That big loss before was pre-thyroid problems.

Phyllis, don't get discouraged, but like you said, the real estate market is down the tubes right now. I got laid off from a small mortgage company four months ago, and I keep hearing about how the company is still imploding. More layoffs after I left. I really feel I got let go at the right time as those who stuck with the company may not get severance pay like I did if the company closes soon like it sounds like it might. It wasn't much but it helped. Title companies are folding and there are still a lot of problems out there. But I think the market will turn around in the next few months so just hang in there. It will sell, sooner or later.

Today, I go to my holistic doctor to see what he recommends for my new diabetes problem. He has really helped me with my thyroid problem as well as other health problems that have come up. He specializes in Chinese herbs and makes some interesting concoctions, but if they work, who cares.

I am on a low-carb program and am amazed at how much I can eat and still lose. Every night, I go to bed thinking there is no way I can lose eating like I did, and the next day, I am down another half lb. or so. And I don't get hungry like I did on WW and the other calorie counting programs. It feels so good to feel thinner. One of these days, I'll be in the two's.

Tonight, I have a ticket to see the Gay Men's Chorus at a local theater - about 75 wonderful voices and they do such nice programs. I used to usher at that theater and their programs were one of the highlights of the season. If I can drop another 50 lbs., I can go back to ushering again, maybe.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:34 AM   #41  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning Everyone,

Welcome Kathleen! The low-carb diet should help the diabetes and the weight loss. I've been doing it for a year & all is good with me. My advice about the diabetes is to find a good nutritionist/dietitian. Mine has helped me regulate my blood sugar better than all the doctors.

Feeling better today - getting organized - (working on moving my "paper piles" from one location to another). I think I could keep my place relatively organized if no one had ever invented paper! Those cavemen should have done the internet first - maybe we wouldn't have needed paper at all!

Wednesday was scrapping & yesterday I had class, lunch & shopping with my DD and then, dinner and shopping with my DF. Bought some size 12 jeans at Talbott's petites that fit PERFECTLY and a size 1 top at Chico's. Nothing tastes as good as fitting into smaller sizes feels!

TV man is here to fix my set. Check back later.

Lynn
Old 04-04-2008, 12:30 PM   #42  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Hello Golden Girls,

Just checking in. It is a sunless day here so far today. Corbin is supposed to have a baseball game tonight ~ not sure rather they will get to play or not.

Had a nice walk yesterday ~ walked with Corbin to his school so he could go to a book fair ~ maybe a mile each way. I was glad for the breezes.

Working on my resume and cover letter to submit to yet another place. My daughter was talking to one of her customers who works at an assisted living facility and likes it really well. She thought there might be an opening. It is different that what I have done before, but sound like it might be something I would like.

Hope you all are having a good day.

Take care
Old 04-04-2008, 05:06 PM   #43  

Height: 5' 8"

O'migosh, where has the day gone!! I've been posting around other threads and just realized half the day is gone and I haven't said hi to my favorite friends!

Guess I'll just have to do a quick fly by and wish you all a prefect spring weekend!
Old 04-04-2008, 05:19 PM   #44  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen31 View Post
Hello Golden Girls!! I just wanted to do a quick post here tonight. I got a quick email from Marylynn in reply to one that I had sent her. She apologized for being MIA for awhile and also for not getting this recipe posted sooner. She has been very busy and will be back with us very soon ---- WE ALL MISS YOU!!!

Homemade Laundry Detergent

1 Bar of Fels Naptha Soap (can be found on the detergent aisle of Krogers, Walmart does not carry)

Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (NOT baking soda, again this can be found on the laundry aisle of Krogers)

20 Mule Team Borax Powder

A clean 5 gallon bucket

Directions:
The original recipe calls for ½ bar of Fels Naptha per five gallons but I’ve tossed caution to the wind and become a big spender by using the whole bar per bucket.

Either grate this bar & stir it into hot water or do it my way & simmer the bar in hot water in your largest soup pot until the bar has dissolved.

Once dissolved add one cup of washing soda & one cup of borax powder. Again, the recipe calls for ½ cup but I tend to live on the wild side. Dissolve in the soup pot with your melted bar of soap.

It will boil over in a flash, might want to keep an eye on it.

Pour into the empty five gallon bucket & keep adding boiling water to the bucket until it’s full. Initially it will look like bright yellow liquid but will start to gel as it cools. Once it cools the liquid will partially break down so it looks like you have a bucket of chicken soup.

½ Cup per load, works best in cold water. Follow the rinse cycle with ½ cup of white vinegar and line dry if you’re feeling like going green that day.

Use ½ cup of solid/gel in the washer & reserve the liquid to use in my dishwasher. Again, in the dishwasher use about 1/5 cup vinegar in the rinse & the dishes are coming clean & without traces of soap film.
Karen, I used to make this laundry detergent and I thought it worked pretty well, but my dh (who washes his own clothes since retirement) never trusted it. One day he showed me his white stuff complaining how it was all yellow. I asked him how much detergent he was using and he was DOUBLING the amount since he didn't trust the 1/2 cup to work! No matter how much I tried to teach/show him how to use it he didn't want it so now I am back to buying the "real" (to him) stuff!
Old 04-04-2008, 05:27 PM   #45  

Lynn, know what you mean by the paper piles....funny, I thought the computer was supposed to mean less paper but I think it has just created more!

Kathleen: Glad the low-carb diet is working for you! Sounds like you are doing well. I am not really on low-carb but I do try to limit my carbs and when I have them I try to get whole grains and fruits/veggies rather than the white starchy stuff. I have gotten to the point where the white stuff...rice, bread etc...just LOOKS to starchy to me even! Enjoy the music...sounds like fun!

Our day started out very wet as predicted but the sun is shiny now and no rain.
Closed Thread