Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 08:26 PM   #151  

S/C/G: 270/250/180

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrosey49 View Post
Hi everyone.. what is an irish potatoe? never heard of them..hope u are all having a great day..just got done perming my hair..hope i dont look like phee-phee the poodle..i always do my own(cutting too) sometimes it looks great but everyonce in awhile i really goof up..thats what hats and scarves are for right..(((hugs))) for all rosey

An Irish Potato is a confection made of coconut, powdered sugar, milk, butter and vanilla. They are rolled into little balls and rolled in cinnamon. (It's basically buttercream icing with a lot of coconut added!) Geez, aren't any of you IRISH out there?

Oh, and BTW, as I learned today when I missed All My Children, if any of you tape TV shows daily or weekly automatically on a VCR that automatically changes the time, they are NOT set for the new time change, they are set for the old system. Go in and change the clock on them. You will then have to change the clock again in a month because your VCR will change then.

Last edited by Phillygirl2; 03-10-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:00 PM   #152  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Oh my yesssss . . . DDR was one of the main reasons I wanted to get a Wii . . . although it will be a while before I save up for a good pad and a copy of DDR . . . not to mention I need a little bit of coordination practice first. I might start by buying BOOGIE which doesn't require a floor pad and is not quite so intricate. It comes with a microphone and offers karaoke features as well as dance features. My singing will really scare the cats.

I've never heard of a confection called Irish Potatoes either . . . but then I'm up here in the frozen northlands called Canada . . . . . . and I'm not Irish either.

Hi everybody else . . .
Old 03-10-2008, 10:26 PM   #153  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Quick flyby tonight - gotta finish packing for Chicago. Thank you everyone that gave me advice on clothes. I finally got word back from the conference organizer and dinner will be "dressy". NOT formal - my outfit should be perfect

Lynn - hope you have a great trip!

Linda - LOL - I want a Wii! They sound like so much fun! I am a gadget junkie. My kids always had cool toys because I wanted to play with them. Probably why I am a technology coordinator for a school district. I get to order new toys, play with them, train teachers to use them and move on to the next cool toy Life is good!

Those of you at goal are SO inspiring! You really help me believe that I am gonna make it this time

Oh, the 2x4 is to bang on the door. A couple carefully placed bangs can loosen the bottom of the door quite nicely.

I might not make it back for a couple days - depends on Internet access in the hotels. If not, I WILL be thinking you!

Laurie
Old 03-11-2008, 07:31 AM   #154  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning . . .

Another nice and but cold day shaping up here in Nova Scotia. So far no plans for outside activities but I'm sure I can think of something to get me out and about.

Hope your trip is great LAURIE and we'll see you when you get back if not before.

Funny that you mentioned buying gadgets for the kids . . . this Wii is the first time I've actually broken down and bought something like that for myself; haven't had a game system in the house since my youngest son grew up (he's 35 now). Used to get such a kick out of watching him play when he was little -- as well as using his controller, he tried to help his spaceships move around with his tongue.

Have a great day, everybody . . .

Last edited by meowee; 03-11-2008 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:23 AM   #155  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning GG's, It's still cold here but no snow for the last couple of days. Got to look on the positive side.

Birgit, Enjoy your trip. I hope you get to stay someplace that has an exercise room this time, but if not, remember there is always mall walking.

Laurie, Enjoy your trip too and let us know how the dinner goes. Pictures would be nice.

I have to admit, that while I know what a WII is, I have never played games on it. MY grandson has on and they love it. I should probably get one for here too, since I have them 2 days a week. They were playing a game like that at McKenzie's party, the dance one, and it looked like fun and i can see where it would be good exercise. And you can choose the leavel you want too, so as you got better you could advance. I think most of the stores have them in stock now. I know around Christmas everywhere was sold out.

Now, I'm Irish (don't get much more Irish than Kelly) and I still didn't know what irish potatoes were. They sound like something I really don't want to know too much about.

Everyone have a good day, Freda
Old 03-11-2008, 10:23 AM   #156  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hi everyone! Just a quick note to let you know we made it here to MO. fine. I am at my brother's and using his computer. My Dad's surgery was rescheduled and will now be done on Friday. SO we will be staying through at least Saturday. I want to make sure that the pacemaker is working good before we head back home. But it is good being with family right now even though I will probably find the 3 pounds that I lost while I'm here!! Going out to eat lunch with family everyday! It's good and fun but will have to buckel down again when we get back home!!

Just wanted to pop in for a minute and say HI. I will try to get back on later on and let you know how things are going.

Take care everybody.....
Old 03-11-2008, 10:49 AM   #157  

Height: 5' 8"

Hi busy, traveling GGs

Sending positive thoughts for your Dad's surgery Karen31 I have every confidence that you'll be able to keep those missing 3 pounds in mind when you're out to your lunches and stick with healthy food.

Ack! When I was reading about "Irish Potatoes" I was thinking of some sort of fried potato with yummy seasonings! Never would have occured to me it was a wad of fat and sugar (have to think of it that way or I'll run out and try to make some - buttercream frosting is - scratch that, make it used to be - my downfall)

Okay, thanks to all of you and your coaxing, I'm sitting here in a pair of size 14 jeans. Amazingly, not gasping for air and didn't have to lay on the bed to get them zipped. Still feeling a little fear of the muffin so I wore a vest and keep having to remind myself that they are still not nearly as tight as I was wearing them before I broke down and bought the 16s but looking forward to them getting looser by the week. Next stop: size 12!

Have a wonderful, healthy day!
Old 03-11-2008, 11:36 AM   #158  

S/C/G: 148/146/124(edited goal)

Height: 4' 11"

Hi Karen31, glad to hear you made it to MO safely. With all this nasty weather people are talking about you never know what will happen.
Everyone east of MN take heart. We have had sun and upper 30 degree weather here and predictions are for the upper 40s today. That means warm weather is headed your way - youse guys.
Hope everyone is feeling better soon. There is some nasty stuff going around out there. I am lucky in not getting sick more than once every couple of years (knocking on wood) but my DH seems to come down with everything. I am also a hand washing freak and have always used a towel to turn off a faucet and even open a door (if one of those automatic door openers aren't there to slam my elbow into). I ride public transportation several times a week and also hold my breath when someone coughs or sneezes. I am sure people think I am nuttzo when I gasp for air after a minute. Another trick I have is to pull my scarf high under my chin so I can breathe through that if I am sitting next to someone who is sick.
Rosey, I would love to hear about your log cabin. We are in the process of finishing ours in the north woods of MN and love it. It has been a lot of work and we are nowhere near finished with the inside, but we have all the mechanicals in and are able to stay in it as we work. It is a 4 1/2 hr. drive from our home, so we spend so much time getting there and back that the weekends are pretty short. Retirement would be lovely.

Will have to get the Dance game for our wii. I agree with whoever mentioned that it was good exercise. There is no way you can play any of the games without moving your body.
My full-time position ended last week so I need to stick to my plan to find a job closer to my home before they call and ask me to come downtown again. So far I have been busy trying to catch up on my housework and other things that get neglected when one spends 12 hours a day either getting ready for work, commuting to work or working. I think my DH is getting worried that I will get too comfortable at home and not do anything, but right now I need to update my resume and concentrate on getting my scale to move down again. I am sure the running and grabbing quick meals, or not taking time for meals, is what got me to this weight to begin with.

I need to get my body moving now or things will not get done around here.

Lily
Old 03-11-2008, 12:06 PM   #159  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Howdy y'all....Finally returning to the land of the living. Will get back to the bridge table tomorrow. Dh is a day or so behind me. Dash is sneezing! Do dogs get the flu?

Laurie....Can't wait to hear about the dinner cruise.I wanna go, too.

Birgit....Boston again? Beantown will be so pretty in April just be careful as the Ides of March is upon us.

Karen....glad you got there before DF surgery. It always amazed me how quickly post op the clients felt better. You made good time getting to Mo. Peddled fast!

YoYo....i'm peeking at you and girl you look Fabulous in those jeans. Fabulous Darling!

Lynn.....Know you are down here in Fl. Sorry for the cloudy day. Temp is in the 70's so that should help.

Gotta do some stuff to make this house liveable. Been 5 days of crawling out of bed and back again...seems like house turned into a kennel! Take care of your self, eat heathy and hugs...karen3
Old 03-11-2008, 12:14 PM   #160  
lynard

S/C/G: 214/206/180

Height: 5'9"

I'm back in the land of the living. I hadn't had a flu like that in many years...and I even had a flu shot. Finally got some antibiotics yesterday to take care of a secondary bronchitis. Back to work today. (But only 13 working days left)

I just can't keep up with all the new posts. So I'll dispense with personal greetings for now. I did lose 2 pounds this week (thanks to no appetite). Hopefully I will keep it off.

Lyn
Old 03-11-2008, 02:30 PM   #161  
Onward and Downward

Wow . . . so glad to hear that both of you are back with us . . . for Karen3 and :hug for Lyn.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:42 PM   #162  

Hi everyone.. im like a giddy school girl today becuz i have the day all to myself seriosly does any one else long for time alone when their mate is retired and home all the time..i feel guility but am so enjoying this me time.. and tonite im off to play bingo with the girls..dh took willie to the groomer and becuz of the price of gas he decided to stay in town till time to pick him up..so i have been putsying around and having a swell time.. hope your day is going well too (((hugs))) rosey
Old 03-11-2008, 05:45 PM   #163  

S/C/G: 200/200/160

Height: 5 53/4

Can you tell I'm new at this?
Old 03-11-2008, 08:37 PM   #164  
Onward and Downward

Hi there KC . . . to the group . . . and also . . . this is a great place for encouragement and support and I know you will just love it around here.

I also notice that we are almost neighbours . . . well compared to most of the other Chickies around here, anyway . . . I'm in Pictou . . . and also retired. So . . . tell us a little about yourself and what type of plan you are doing . . . there's an Introduction thread as a Sticky at the top of the forum and you can use that as a model to complete your own entry after you've read a little about some of the rest of us. We will all be looking forward to getting to know you better as we all wander down the long and bumpy road to better health and fitness together. Hope to be seeing you again really soon . . .

Oh wow, ROSEY . . . glad you are enjoying your 'free' time and hope you have your usual winning ways with the bingo numbers tonight.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:46 PM   #165  
On My Road To Good Health

S/C/G: 286/256/160

Height: 5'9"

Smile My DH is retired also...

I know what you are talking about, Rosie... my husband is retired also. I have two teen sons still at home. I LOVE the rare time I have the house to myself!!

I hope those of you who are ailing get well soon! Welcome to the other new members!

Stayed on-plan today:
B: english muffin, egg white, ff cheese
L: rykrisp crackers, grapes, banana
S: clementines
D: tortilla, chicken and brocolli, cheese, salsa
S: pretzes, saltines and salsa
Water: plenty
Exercise: 20 minutes of hall-walking (about 1 mile)

Have a great day everyone! Bethz
Closed Thread