Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 11:09 AM   #61  

Height: 5' 8"

Just a quick hi. Just skimmed the posts and decided one of the worst challenges in getting older is having to watch people you love struggle with deteriorating health. Not to say that there aren't plenty of people who have to deal with younger loved ones having health challenges but when you get older it starts to be the people you've always viewed as strong and virtually indestructable. Prognosis for my friend with the stroke is not too good right now. I'm holding on to the hope that, being the type of person she is, if anyone can make it back she can. Sending the same hopes to you guys who are facing challenges with your moms.

It's hard right now to even think about sticking with diet and exercise plans but I'm pushing myself to hang with it. I'm not going to be much support for my friend if I end up in the next room at the hosp. Exercise is the toughest - really hard to put a lot of effort into it but still at least making myself go through the motions so I don't get out of the habit. And thanks to all you GGs. I think I would be so much more tempted to just say "I'll start over again after my friend is out of the woods" if I didn't know that you guys are out there staying strong for your families. Makes me believe I can stay strong too.

hugs to all.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:40 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 235/ticker/140

Height: 5-10

Happy Wednesday GG's!

First, Joanne & Pam, you're both in our thoughts & prayers. There have been a lot of advances in cancer treatment & hope is our best avenue. As one who has been there with her mother, consider both of yourselves hugged & with all of us in spirit.

Zoe! Bellydancing! Why not? Are you going to do it? I have an instuctional DVD I've never looked at on bellydancing (thought it might help my dance floor moves) LETS ALL DO IT! Why not? I don't want to hear what we can't do, lets just do it! Oh how exciting... we're all going to bellydance! And Zumba! Yipee!

Sorry, I'll try to contain myself.

Yoyo I'm thinking of you. It's especially striking when you watch a team member go down right in front of you. As you know, all nurses have a ton of war stories. Years ago I watched another nurse, actually two in my career, have strokes on the job. It's sobering. I hope your friend recovers & returns to a lower paced lifestyle that gives her some space to take care of herself. It's scarey to watch people literally work themselves to death. Nurses have to slow down & be selfish for once. I'm probably saying it all wrong but am convinced you understand what I'm trying to communicate. And... yesmam you're worth the effort. Arn't you the one that gave me the message that's now my mantra? Choose my hard? Think eating right is hard? That's nothing compared to ... well you get the message. Hang tough lady, I need you.

Okay, I'll calm down now. Really.

Welcome Michelle & Counting Down! Happy to have you & looking forward to your posts. These ladies here are genuine & the best I've found on the web. So glad you're here.

Lynn I'm sorry to hear about that shoulder. Has the doc done a MRI? Maybe it's not necessary but I wonder how they would diagnose rotator cuff problems, which take a very long time for recovery. Do you like the eliptical? I couldn't agree with you more about the car maker problem. We own a 25 year old car & thought about buying a more efficient one until it dawned on us that the new ones get the same mileage as ours. I think we'll keep our money & just ride bikes as much as possible.

Yesterday was a little break from the dull around here. I lost track of how many times the city emergency sirens went off due to spawning tornados (I live in the Memphis area). To cut to the chase. DH & DD were carpooling home from work, looked to their right just in time to see a handfull of little tornadoes merge into one big one & start churning up a neighborhood beside the highway. Rik (DH) felt the car shaking & pulling towards the mess, he was driving 65 mph. He tried to call me to tell me good bye but his cell couldnt get out so he gunned it to 95 & got home just in time to duck into our family safe place to ride out another twister. At the same time my son left work early to help get his daughter from school. Eleven minutes later another tornado hit his warehouse, blowing tractor trailors into the building & destroyed the building. Cement walls were flying & millions of dollars of inventory went flying into residential neighborhoods. My son was responsible for all of the computers/laptops/technical stuff... it all blew away.All is well but we're still holding out to make sure our friends & coworkers are still safe. Lotta lotta drama. Glad for a new day.

On the bright side I'm expecting really interesting garage sales this spring! Imagine going to a yard sale & someone wants to sell a forklift that blew into his yard.

Still running but now I have to find that bellydancing video! Everyone have a great day & remember you're worth your efforts!

Hugs!

Marylynn
Old 02-06-2008, 12:02 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

WOW!! Marylynn!!! That had to have been so scary!!! I'm so Happy that Rik and your daughter made it home safe and ssound. And your son!!! So glad that he left early! I've been watching the stories on TV and the tornados are really scary! The mountains pretty much protect us from them out here although --- there have been a few over the past few years. And I know, I am wanting to move to MO. to be right in the path!! But still want to be with family more!

I have a belly dance video somewhere too. I will have to look and see if I can find it. I've been packing up stuff that I thought that we could do without so who knows. Like you I have never even tried it but thought it sounded fun.

Well, here is to a good day for everyone! I'll try to get back to all later this afternoon. But for now I need to get busy and get some stuff done here. I still hope for someone to pop in and want to see the house!

Take care and to everyone.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:46 PM   #64  

S/C/G: Temporary Goal - 186/180/156

Height: 5'3"

Hi all, thanks for all the welcomes! Marylynn, how scary for you and your family! Someone was looking out for them! Wow, this weather is really weird -- all those poor people in the South with all the tornadoes, and here in New Jersey, when it is snowstorm time, it is almost 70 degrees today, yesterday it was around 50 something.

I am doing okay with my diet and exercise, so far. I am on my way to the park for a walk after I log off -- hoping the rain holds off.

Last night I went off my planned menu and had some wine at our son's house -- they (my son and daughter-in-law) use any excuse to have a party, so they had a "Fat Tuesday" celebration -- my grandsons had beads on while running around, there was a King cake with a naked baby on it (I never knew about this) -- it was a fun weekday evening for a change -- we were home by 8:30.

Today is a new day, and I am determined to stick with this healthy eating and exercise as long as I can -- building on and building on, until it is a consistent habit again.

Off to the park, hope everyone has a great day!! Michele
Old 02-06-2008, 02:54 PM   #65  
Birgit

S/C/G: 265/ticker/195

Height: 6'0"

My gosh, Marylynn - what a horribly close call. I am so glad that your family and you are alright. I've been sitting here complaining about that same storm system, but all it's bringing me is a few inches of wet snow - nothing life threatening like what you're talking about. Guess I just have to remember to count my blessings, huh?

Zoe, that group of friends of yours sounds like so much fun. Glad you've got them. But Karen31 - I ain't belly dancing . I'd probably throw my navel out of joint if I tried. Besides... well, it just wouldn't be pretty. I will, however, cheer you on from the sidelines .

YoYo - I am so sorry your friend is having to go through this. I feel bad for her, for her family, and of course for you and her other friends. This is so hard. I know how helpless you feel. Two years ago one of my very best friends became very ill very suddenly, and in fact died only 11 days later. It was a terrible shock to all of us and still there's not a day that goes by that I don't think of her and grieve for her. And she is absolutely worth every tear that is shed for her. I truly hope that this does not happen to your friend and that she makes a speedy and complete recovery. I know it's looking bleak right now, but don't give up hope, OK? Miracles happen every day!

Lynn - sometimes things have to get worse before they get better. That very often is true with PT. I'm sending you white light and positive vibrations, and hope that your shoulder stops hurting soon.

Hugs to all,
Old 02-06-2008, 06:15 PM   #66  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Hi you all...wow! I saw the news clip of all the tractor trailers inside the warehouse and marveled that anyone was alive. Maybe we should be doing a chicken count to see if all of us are here.

Am just plugging along on the South Beach. Still am tempted to go snack of the wrong things. But knowing you all will make me accountable to me stops me. Am in a totally convoluted warped frame of mind. Guess that is a Florida reaction to too much sunshine. Decided to take care of that and put my top down today and later parked the car in the garage so that guarantees rain tomorrow....such fun getting soaked to the skin waiting for it to close!

We have a new gator move into the canal. He apparently chased(or ate) the smaller guy. This one is big! Had to put the gate up to keep Dash off the dock. Gators love canine for lunch.

It's been 7yrs since I retired and the only thing I really miss about nursing is what I have always termed the sisterhood. 2 nurses from different parts of the world can instantly connect and talking to you all here gives me that feeling.

Take care everyone. Check back for your daily hugs and know there are a bunch of us quietly including you and yours in our thoughts and prayers. Stay health. karen3
Old 02-06-2008, 07:12 PM   #67  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Karen3 - you refer to that gator so casually - oh, my!!!! And I grumble because I have to deal with skunks! I'm counting my blessings as well as "counting down"

Michele - way to go getting back on track! That is an awesome attitude

Karen31 - still have that you will find a buyer soon!

Marylynn - wow, quite a day! I am going to stop complaining about a few inches of snow. So glad you and your family are safe!!! I love your sense of humor - you are probably right about the garage sales :

Yoyo - sometimes staying OP and keeping up the exercise routine can actually help me. It is something I can control, and the exercise helps me keep my emotions a bit more even-keeled. I will continue to keep your friend in my prayers!

Linda - I love your avatar. She is so pretty. Our tortie has very lopsided markings - particularly on her face (attached).

Phyllis - I love your perseverance - I get bent out of shape when the scale goes up. I'm trying to keep it in perspective, but it is hard. I hope your attitude is catching!!!

Lynn - you really are planning on winning the challenge! 20 minutes of walking and the elliptical for tonight - all while still having shoulder pain! Shoulder therapy can be brutal. I remember pain and tears when I went through mine several years ago. I hope the doctor can help!

Another busy day here. And I did try the Kickbox Bootcamp video. I got through 3 of the 10 minute segments. The total body was too intense for me. When she started squat thrusts, it brought back horrible flashbacks of gym class. It wasn't pretty!

I hope everyone continues to have a POP day! Prayers continuing for all

Attachment 28391

Last edited by CountingDown; 06-22-2008 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:47 PM   #68  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

She's gorgeous -- what's her name? Reminds me of a pair of calico cats I had years ago named Night and Noon -- Night had an almost all black face with just a little rust and white in the middle and Noon (yep, you guessed it) had an almost completely rusty-orange and white face.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:41 PM   #69  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Chloe (DH's brother has a calico named Zoe - it just seemed appropriate)
Old 02-07-2008, 08:15 AM   #70  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning GG's, We got tons of snow yesterday. I had to work all day, but at times I would glance out the window and just see white, it was snowing so hard. By the time I got off work we had a good accumulation, so i had to clean the car off. And wouldn't you know I forgot my gloves? By the time I finished my fingers were numb. But I got home without incident, so I count myself lucky. One of the other nurses that was coming in to work the midnight shift called the floor, crying hysterically. She was in a ditch and she's pregnant.

That said, Marylunn, I consider myself lucky. Thank goodness you and your family are safe! So scarey, to come so close to home, and do so much damage.

Michele, WELCOME! I think you will enjoy being here. Lots of support and great people.

Pam and Joanne, prayers to you and your families.

Lynn, I just finished my thereapy. Didn't know it would be so rough. Guess being a rehab nurse did earn me any points, I had to really work too! Hope you feel better soon.

Phyllis, 1 pound is not that much, just pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and get started again. We all fall off sometimes, we just make sure we get started again quickly!

YoYo, It's terrible seeing someone you care about suffering. But we have to make sure we take care of ourselves so we can take care of them. Sometimes i think we feel almost guilty for taking care of ourselves.

Birgit and Karen, Care to join me in some belly dancing classes? Oh, Wait, I already have a bad back! Darn! I was so looking forward to that!!

Karen3, You sound like the huge gators are just a mild annoyance! I would live in fear all the time. They like canine for lunch? I guess I would have to take a gun outside with me when I let my Benny out! Let one of those things try to get to him!!

Take care, all of you. Stay safe and warm, Freda
Old 02-07-2008, 08:57 AM   #71  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

howdy you all....Oh gosh yes, gators are common down here. We also have wild pigs that dig up your lawn and look like you have run a trencher instead of a mower. DH keeps laughing at Dash and me because we chase the damn armadilo across the yard late at night. Boy can that sucker run. He digs 40lb holes in the lawn. Only reason I know size is it took a whole bag of top soil to fill. We also have whitetail deer (tiny compared to northern deer) and a lot of road signs that say "bear crossing". At least we don't have python/boa problems like they do further South. Seems like some are released when the owners get tired of them and they are taking over habitate of native gators. An 18' was caught this week in Bradenton which isn't to far from Disney!

Thursday already. My day to try not to cheat. Keep yelling get behind me you devil while visions of sugar plums(well snacks) dance thru my head! Plus it is the start of time to eat down the freezer before hurricane season starts. Know it's a little early but I get tempted with great buys and keep stocking the freezer. 3 yrs ago lost power for over a week and had to toss 22cc of meat and even a Cheese Cake. It'll take me 3 months to use up this year's buys. You'd think I'd learn.

Catch you all later....have a fine day and eat healthy. karen3
Old 02-07-2008, 09:47 AM   #72  
Lifetime Loser

Marylynn, your blessed that your dh and son escaped the tornadoes. I was in one when I was in high school and I can remember it like yesterday and still hate when the wind picks up. Ours hit and destroyed the houses on the street in front and back of us but skipped our street. I'll never forget the sound it made or the silence afterwards....glad your all safe.

Yes Freda your right, one pound is not that much and I am now back to 4.5 lbs. lost doing well sticking to the diet so far this week. Thanks.

Karen, hope someone looks at your place. We are probably going to lower the price one last time Monday. We have decided to go ahead and make the move to Ohio last week of March and rent this place out in season (Jan-May) if it doesn't sell and wait until the market rebounds. So now we will have to UPS a lot of things up like clothes, pans, etc. and fill the car with heavy things like T.V.s, computer, etc. and come back down when the place sells or in October to get it ready for renters.

Actually, I like the idea of keeping the place for a year as we can come back and stay a couple months ourselves....it will all work out the way it's meant to in the end....I have to believe that.

So now I am off to start doing some of the million things to get ready for the first phase of the move, it's a bit overwhelming right now...neither one of us slept much last night.

Joanne hope things are going as well as possible and your feeling better. Zoe, maybe we need to take up belly dancing, I sure have the belly for it!!!!
Lyn, hope your vacation was great....hey if you want to move down I have a place for you! Lynn, take care of that shoulder and Hi to everyone I missed this round.

Phyllis
Old 02-07-2008, 10:31 AM   #73  
Birgit

S/C/G: 265/ticker/195

Height: 6'0"

Hi Ladies - you know, on a local cable TV station I keep seeing a trio of women teaching bellydancing. The leader is quite thin, one of her assistants is a bit chunky - and the third is downright enormous. Guess what - all three of them are absolutely gorgeous! Sometimes I sit and watch them and I am awed by their grace and beauty - and by their pretty diaphanous costumes with tinkly little bells. Truly, I wish I could do it - but I really think I would sprain something important.

Karen3, to me where you live sounds just beautiful. It's great having all that wildlife around you, isn't? Yeah, some of the critters you meet might best be given a wide berth - but that's OK. Here in rural VT I get to see all sorts of interesting wildlife, too. I've seen lots and lots of deer, of course, and moose, foxes, racoons and skunks. I am told there are coyote packs not far from here, but I haven't seen any (or heard them). Less than 20 miles from my home I saw a bear once, and a friend of mine saw a wolf. My dog weighs only 16 lbs, so I keep him on a leash at all times - not only because of the wild animals, but more importantly because I don't want him to get hit by a car. The cat? Well, he never strays far from home and I figure he's young and agile and can outrun pretty much anything. He knows where his kitty door is and I never see him more than 50 ft away from it.

I am feeling great this morning, Ladies. It snowed overnight and we have about 8" on the ground. The big snowdrift up against my garage made it impossible to get the car out before the plowguy came, so I saw that as a message from God to get my Yak-Trax on and get my butt walking to work. And I did. What a beautiful walk... all was white and quiet, with only the occasional sound of a snowshovel scraping on driveway, and neighbors saying "Good Morning." Gosh - I am soooo blessed to live here...

Hope you all have a good one --
Old 02-07-2008, 01:22 PM   #74  

S/C/G: Temporary Goal - 186/180/156

Height: 5'3"

Good day everyone! Freda, thank you, I am already enjoying the posts here -

- Karen3, wow, armadillos! We have bears (up north), deer, wild turkeys, pheasants, etc. in the rural areas around here, and once in awhile I will see an oppossom in the yard, but you really have an exotic zoo in your own back yard! Sounds nice! Our place is just overrun with squirrels -- anytime you look out of any of our windows, you will at least see 3 or 4 squirrels scrambling up and down trees -- they are all over the place -- much more than year's ago.

My husband feeds them at work, they walk right up to him and he feeds them nuts.

Hope everyone is doing well. Tomorrow is my weigh-in day, and I am feeling pretty positive about my first week of renewed healthy habits -- still have a ways to go, but isn't it funny how light you feel after a few days of good eating and exercising?

Have a good day everyone!! Michele
Old 02-07-2008, 02:31 PM   #75  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

By the end of this weekend, I'll have finished grading everyone's papers & sending them my feedback. I'll be able to fully participate in our Golden Girls site again.
I'm looking forward to it.

I told the PT that I was thinking about quitting. He asked me to give it another week. He changed what he was doing & taped up my shoulder.

Even though I haven't been able to post personals, I am reading everyone's posts.

Check back later,

Lynn
Closed Thread