Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 06:50 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hello Everyone, Just thought that I would pop in and say HI!! Tim has the Super Bowl on and I just finished watching the "Puppy Bowl" on the animal planet! I think it is more fun to watch the puppies!!

Phyllis, sounds good about houses selling after the Super Bowl----- Do you think that maybe we could fast forward through it???

Laurie, I could stand some sunshine too!! Right now we have about 32 degrees and the wind is blowing!! It isn't snowing right now but supposed to later this evening!

Cat, I have a friend that went to Mardi Gras this past weekend from Hawaii.. She said she was really looking forward to it. I've never been --- maybe one of these days!

Well, I'll try to get back to you all later... Guess I need to go start some supper. Have a good night.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:26 AM   #32  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi . . .

Obviously I'm up way too early this morning. Probably because yesterday was so very, very busy. Was out and about the whole day -- that has some good points (guess it sort of counts as exercise) and some bad points (can usually handle one meal out, but never two). Hoping for a calmer day today -- must get this week's laundry finished.

Have a good one gang . . .
Old 02-04-2008, 08:02 AM   #33  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning GG's, I'm up early too Linda. I guess we're the early birds. Comes from getting up at 5 Oclock for work all these years. I wish I could sleep in some day, but my eyes just pop open and I might as well get out of bed! i am still doing well with my "diet" "New life style" what ever. Haven't gained any and actually lost another pound. In the effort not to go over, I guess I'm still under a bit on calories. I'm sure I'll catch up!!

YoYo, I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Hope she's ok, prayers comming through!

Laurie, WELCOME! Looking forward to getting to know you. I live in Warren, A sub. of Detroit. Are you down this way often?

Cat, Your daughter is lovely, such beautiful eyes! And the photo's look profesional, as always.

Birgit, your brilliant "deducting" cracks me up! So glad you joined us. i know you will work something out with your DBF that will be good for both of you.

Karen and Phyllis, I hope that the market picks up after the SB too. Crossing my fingers. And selling is always better in the spring. Most people don't want to move in the winter time.

Lots to do today, gotta get moving. I'll check back in later. Have a great day ladies. Freda
Old 02-04-2008, 09:16 AM   #34  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Oh, dear. New England is decidedly not happy with the results of the super bowl! Not that I give a hoot myself, since in my opinion, the players are greatly overpaid, but the owners – and everybody else connected with the sport – are making an obscene amount of money. The cost of tickets – and the fact that people will actually PAY thousands of dollars for them, as well as inflated transportation and accommodation costs to go and see the game – right down to the little blue-collar workers who spend half a week’s pay on super bowl partying…well, I just think of it all as one massive distraction from the problems we have in this country – problems like homelessness and hunger. But, alas, this is not the place to rant about the economic crisis or any of that. The Patriots lost. Boston is enshrouded in gray clouds. (Really! I mean, how serendipitous is that???)
We – DH and I – on the other hand, had a fine & dandy weekend: spent Saturday night up in New Hampshire pot-lucking it with the crowd we spend several long weekends with every summer up there discussing and solving (theoretically, of course) all the world’s problems. And, aside from this sort of discussion, everyone is welcome – and in fact, greatly encouraged – to entertain the group with a song, with a story, with a tapdance or recitation of the Gettysburg address if they so desire. And there is much clapping and stomping of feet and cries of “Encore! Encore!” except that we are all of us of a “certain age” and encores are provided in moderation. But I tell you all of this by way of telling you that one of those who leapt from their seat and entertained us with – of all things – a belly dance (she had her costume cleverly concealed beneath a long, robe-like garment which I’d thought was a bit odd, but this group is a bit odd, so I never thought anything else about it.) was 62 years old, lithe, energetic, and had the freaking BODY of a twenty-year-old! So, yes, dear Golden Ones, I am indeed COUNTING every morsel of food that passes between my lips today and tomorrow, and as far into the future as I must, AND I will be back pedaling around on my mountain bike the very minute that spring comes to these cold and desolate hills of New England. I have only just been hovering on the edge of that steep and slippery slope back into “I don’t give a poop” and “I don’t care how much I weigh”, and seeing that woman perform as she did made me downright ashamed of my lazy, rationalizing self. So, I’m holding me accountable again, and although I wouldn’t be caught dead in a belly dancing outfit, you betcha I’m going to be on the beach this summer – in a perfectly tasteful one-piece suit, of course!
Welcome, Laurie! You are sure to love this awesome group of women! You have happened into the best thread on the entire web, and you’re bound to love it! (We’re very happy to have you, too!)
Lynn, How was “Bucket List”? The reviews were so-so. I am a Morgan Freeman fan, as well, and Jack Nicholson is an equally talented actor in my opinion. I’m not sure that Freeman can ever/will ever manage to replicate the power of his performance in “Shawshank Redemption”, but even when the writing isn’t up to that standard, he does manage to bring more to the role than it may have had to begin with every time. I would love a book discussion – I seem to be one of the only ones who hasn’t read “Kite Runner”, but I’ve been plodding through yet another Edward Rutherfurd tome – this one entitled “Dublin”, which must be a thousand pages or more although I haven’t checked. I am a huge Margaret Atwood (The Handmaiden’s Tale) fan, and enjoy Marge Piercey’s books immensely, as well. Oh, and by the way, I DO think that you’re taking EXACTLY the right tact with your little sister.
Karen3 – Bibs? But of course! I highly recommend the white plastic ones with the picture of the gigantic red lobster on the front – you know, the ones they give you when you order lobster at a restaurant. They are big, protect you completely, and as a further bonus, give everyone the impression that you are such a classy dame that you eat nothing but lobster, caviar (and probably filet mignon) three meals a day!
Hi Meowee-Linda – we’re enjoying a real tropical warm spell, too! Might even hit 40 degrees today! Of course we’re getting rain and a bit of snow tonight – it wouldn’t do to get spoiled, after all.
Enjoy your days off, Cat – I was just bemoaning the fact that it’ll be three weeks before we get another long weekend (President’s Day) here. I’ve gotten so used to three and four day weekends over the holidays that these five-day work weeks feel WAY too long! Omigoodness! Your daughter is a real beauty, isn’t she? Wonderful pictures. Oh, yes! By all means try to get out to see her if you can fit it in somewhere! I absolutely LOVE it out there!
Okay, Phyl! Today’s the day, m’dear! Let’s show ‘em how this is REALLY done, huh?
Oh, wouldn’t it be great if BOTH your places sold over the next couple of months, Phyl and Karen, and you’d both have nice, easy moves in sunny (but not too hot) spring weather!
Birgit, I must say that great minds think alike…that $600 (or have they whittled it down to $500?) has been spent ten or twelve times already by ME, too! Of course the sad reality is that I will most likely spend most of it on gas for my car – so that I can contribute MORE towards Exxon’s $40 BILLION + in profits for this coming year! Gotta keep those oil company CEO’s in yachts and private islands, after all.
Freda, I’m up at 5:30 every weekday morning, and often behave quite decadently and “sleep in” until 6:00 or so on the weekends. I know what you mean about habit – plus, I made the enormous mistake this past Friday night of neglecting to close my bedroom blinds, so when the sun came up, I did as well.
I’m hoping you’re feeling better, Jo-annie.
MaryLynn, you just keep up the good work, darlin', because this old crone needs all the inspiration she can get!
Rosey? Are you okay?
LindaD, where ARE you? I'm about to post your picture on Craigslist in the hope that someone will recognize you and let me know that all's well with you. Besides, I'll be planning another trip out to L.A. before long, and I'm looking forward to that "fatchicks" lunch with you!
Hi Gayle, Lyn (although if I were YOU, Lyn, I’d be lazing about on the beach and NOT going anywhere near a computer) and all the other Golden Girlies, wherever you may be! It’s almost spring, some of us (not me) even have daffodils and tulips making a showing, and pretty soon we’ll be storing our winter clothes away and bringing out the summer stuff. Yay! (Gotta get INTO the danged things!)
Have a great week!

Z
Old 02-04-2008, 05:34 PM   #35  
Joanne

S/C/G: 267/250/170

Height: 5'7"

Hello to all the new and especially the "seasoned" GOLDEN GIRLS. Thanks for all the compliments on my pics from Maui - seems like a lifetime ago and that somehow 2008 is conspiring against me to be able to shop in a normal size story for my wedding dress. I am slowly getting better from my lousy bug -- my doctor gave me an inhaler and its made a world of difference. I can actually walk to the end of the hall now without having a huge coughing fit. So my plan was to get breathing better -- get my little handheld calorie counter out and head back to my noon hour classes slowly and surely. Best laid plans and all that we got hit with the news that my mom's cancer is back and with a vengance. So starting next week I have to reduce my workweek and time will be spent with her at her chemotherapy treatments and then at home during her recovery. As much as I would dearly love to be able to keep up with this wonderful active group I am just not sure if I can and right now what I am eating and doing is pretty low priority when it comes to doing what is important for my mom.

She is being rather stoic about it -- its almost 7 years since we lost my dad to cancer and as anyone who has watched a love one suffer with this horrible disease its not easy. I am holding on to the hope that her tumours will react well to the chemo. She has had lymphoma for many years and when she had to take her oral chemo it always shrunk the tumours rapidly -- lets hope these nasty new ones are as easily taken down.

I won't say this is goodbye but I will be posting even less than I am right now. I will do my best to keep up with my blog -- its time I dusted it off and I will use that as my tool to get through the next while.

Joanne
Old 02-04-2008, 06:25 PM   #36  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Oh JOANNE . . . I'm so terribly sorry to hear your dreadful news . . . My for your Mother to have a wonderful and swift recovery. Please try to keep in touch . . .
Old 02-04-2008, 07:25 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Evening you all...Joanne I will add your mom to my prayers. Hanging in for her being there is the hardest thing you'll ever have to do.

Went to play bridge today and at the traffic light where I turn in is an accident and in the grassy medium was laying one of the old guys. Couldn't stop or pull over as this a busy area. Turns out he's ok and being discharged from ER about now. The Old War Horse RN started to kick into gear and jump across lanes of traffic. For once I stopped and thought first. Guess you can only retire to a certain level.

Today was weight in day and I lost another 3lbs. Someday I will be able to see it in the mirrow. I feel it in my clothes. Oh well...I lost a little. The scale is moving again in the right direction. Am like a kid want instant gradification. Now if not sooner! karen3
Old 02-04-2008, 07:44 PM   #38  
Birgit

S/C/G: 265/ticker/195

Height: 6'0"

Gosh, Joanne - my very best wishes to your Mom for a speedy recovery. And my best wishes to you and your entire family to stay strong - it is not easy being the support to a loved one who is seriously ill... but you obviously already know that. Please know that our prayers and loving thoughts are with you and your family.

As an ex-Bostonite and the mother of two young men in their 20's who still live there - I am feeling profoundly depressed today. According to my sons, the city is in mourning. I know nothing about football and had no idea I cared, but I'm surprised to find that I really, really wanted the Pats to win last nite. The fact that they didn't feels like getting A+s in quantum physics all semester only to get a zero on the final. Can't help but feel that if I'd actually watched the game and cheered the Pats on, then maybe they would have won. I am THAT powerful, you know... Sadly, even if I had watched the game though, I wouldn't have understood what the heck they were doing.

Other than that, all is well here. Sending good thoughts to all of you,
Old 02-04-2008, 07:47 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Joanne, So sorry to hear about your Mom!! Please know that I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Just know that we are here for you if you ever need to just chat!
Old 02-04-2008, 07:58 PM   #40  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Karen3 - 3 lbs. is awesome!!!! Hang in there, it seemed like forever before I noticed much difference from my weight loss. Then all of a sudden I noticed some really significant changes. You will too!

Joanne - I will definitely keep your mom and your whole family in my prayers!

Zoe - oh, my! Belly dancing! I'm with you - I wouldn't be caught dead... Sounds like it was a fun experience though! And anything that can motivate us to stay op is a good thing!!! A couple of my workout dvds have folk in their 70s just smiling and having a grand time - makes me ashamed of myself as well!

Freda - unfortunately, I don't get down state too often. Usually the only time I get to Detroit is to catch a plane. But I LOVE Trader Joe's and the closest one to me is in your neck of the woods, so - who knows, I may make the 3+ hour drive more often. I will be sure to let you know if I am headed your direction

Hello Karen, Lynn, Linda and everyone else

Busy day for me - getting back into the groove at work after an extended period away is always intense. AND - my Tae Bo Believer's Series DVDs came today. I made it through "The Power Within" - all 45 minutes worth. Whew - it was intense!

I hope you all had a wonderful POP day
Old 02-05-2008, 12:45 AM   #41  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Joanne ~ I'm sorry to hear about your mom ~ hope the treatment goes well for her. Thoughts and prayers for her and your family.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:05 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjay55 View Post
As much as I would dearly love to be able to keep up with this wonderful active group I am just not sure if I can and right now what I am eating and doing is pretty low priority when it comes to doing what is important for my mom.

I won't say this is goodbye but I will be posting even less than I am right now. I will do my best to keep up with my blog -- its time I dusted it off and I will use that as my tool to get through the next while.

Joanne
Hi Joanne,

You do what you need to do for your Mom and for yourself. We'll be here when things get better.

Sending my love and best wishes

Lynn
Old 02-05-2008, 07:14 AM   #43  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Good Morning Everyone,

Yesterday, my dd & sil and I went to the Auto Show in Philly. I was truly disgusted. There were 2 cars (out of hundreds) that got decent gas milage - the Prius and the Smart car.

It absolutely amazed me that given the problems being caused in our society and with our economy because of gasoline/oil, these @#$$%^&*%$#$ car-makers are so comfortable showing new cars that get 15-20 miles/gallon. And that so many folks seem ready to grab them up!

You think everyone has so much money they don't care about spending hundreds of dollars a month on gas?

Those of you who know Zoe and me know that we HATE to spend money on gas. I truly thought that at the show, I'd be seeing loads of interesting, new, low-gas-milage cars - NOT!

Off to my class & then PT for my shoulder. Then home to finish up my online course.

Have a good day everyone,

Lynn
Old 02-05-2008, 09:24 AM   #44  

Good Morning GG's,

Joanne, You take the time you need to be there for your mom. We'll be here when she gets better and you have more time. Prayers for all of you. Family is the most important thing.

Zoe, Glad to see you posting again. I know it took a tremendious amout of work getting the new place the way you wanted it to look. Your friends sound like fun! I want to party with you! I don't think I would burst out with a belly dance (although I did take lessons for awhile), or sing (people pay me to stop) doesn't leave much for me to do except enjoy. By the way, what talent do you preform?

Karen3, Your post made me laugh. I'm the same way. When I heard the word "code" I go into "alert" mode. 3pounds is awsome!!! You may not be able to see it yet but your clothes will be getting looser and losser! Yeah!!!

Counting down, I love trader Joe's too. There are only 2 around here, so I bet we go to the same one. I only go there occasionally, and stock up when I do. Some of the products you just can't find any place else. I think the Tae Bo exercise series are great. I used to use them but soon discovered that my back couldn't take all the kicking. Great way to tone up!

Gayle, Glad to see that you are still here. How are things going now that hubby is down there. Getting to be more like home? How are the grandbabies? Hope the work situtation is improving.

Linda, Living in the "Car Capitol" I have to agree with you. We really need to find a cheaper way of transportation. Gas prices need to go down and cars need to get higher milage. When are the companies going to listen? Maybe when people stop buying the gass guzzlers? Is the shoulder responding to treatment?

Everyone have a good day. Freda
Old 02-05-2008, 09:30 AM   #45  
Lifetime Loser

Hey J, I put your blog in my favorites so I'll be able to keep in touch with you.

Lynn is right, we will be here for you whenever you want to drop by.

I hope the chemo gets to those tumors quickly. How wonderful you are there to help her. I know it is hard on you also.....hang in there. You and your family are in my prayers.

P
Closed Thread