Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 11:20 AM   #166  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Happy Friday!!!!!!!!! Oh, a long weekend! Yay, yay, and MORE yay!!!!! Iíve worked a grand total of three days this week (well, counting today, which isnít over yet) and am looking forward to another three days off, and Iíve gotta tell you, I LIKE it this way! Itís supposed to warm up some, today Ė like maybe high forties Ė and then drop again overnight, and still no sun, so Iím STILL S.A.D., but a blogger-friend just reported a blooming daffodil down Virginia way, so Iím feeling a little more hopeful than I was. The plumber is at my house installing one of those ring-around type shower rail thingies for my clawfoot tub; I have the perfect shower curtain for in there with a pretty tie-back for when the shower isnít in use (which it wonít be nearly as often as I have baths in the tub, but I was having to use DHís shower to wash my hair, and that was NOT optimum.) I like the spa-like feeling of my bathroom while his is very plain and utilitarian. I did stick an earthenware vase in there with a few branches of eucalyptus, but thatís about it. Oh, and I meant to mention how much I liked what CAT did in her little spare bathroom! Maybe Iíll try to do something similar in DHís later on down the road, but for now, he can just keep it like it is. I love the way Cat decorates, though Ė very sophisticated and elegant Ė reminds me of my best friend who lives in Richmond. Same sort of style. Mine is busier, I think, and more of a mishmash of stuff. Thatís how we keep warm up here in the frozen north Ė by surrounding ourselves with STUFF.
Okay, so enough with the Martha Stewart impersonation.
Way to GO, Birgit, with the sweater! Youíre really making some amazing progress! Definitely inspires me to get back on a stricter plan (counting calories/points) and watch the pounds (or in my case, ounces) melt away. Danged metabolism! Somehow, I seem able to GAIN a pound or two overnight, but count my weekly losses in OUNCES. Grrrrr!
Bobbi, I donít know how long weíll focus on one book; probably Lynn will be able to answer that better than I. I DO know that some of us (maybe even Lynn) are still waiting for our books to arrive, so thereís still time to get in on the ground floor, Iím thinking.
Freda, I really like your one chocolate a day plan. I have a lot of trouble restricting my portions, and usually if I have a bite of something, it leads to another and another, but maybe one wrapped chocolate (Iíd have to physically unwrap another one if I was going to have more) would work. Stay tuned for updatesÖ.(insert anticipatory music hereÖI think our lives need musical accompaniment, donít you? )
Oh, CountingD! MORE ugly weather! Letís not think about it! Letís think SPRING! (I know, I knowÖ.nothing spring-like here, either.) Daffodils, tulipsÖtheyíre just hovering below the surface, waiting to leap up and surprise us! In another few months, that isÖ<sigh> .
A Cadbury CrŤme Egg!!! Oh, my favorite, Michele! (Cravings are setting in just from reading about it). Good thing theyíre associated with Easter and wonít be on the half-price Valentineís racks! If they were, I would be sorely temptedÖ
Hi Lynn, I hope your shoulder starts to improve on itís own. Wouldnít THAT be nice? Anyway, no book here yet, either. Seems to be taking an awfully long time. Now, after talking it up so much, Iím dying to read it again!
OMG, Phyl! A decorator! We are really going to have to have pictures, you know! Iím so glad that youíre going to be closer to your grandchildren! Life is too short not to spend it close to the people you care about most in the world. Of course youíll have to go back to Florida and hang out with me in your (old) lanai when I go down and rent it next winter!
Sorry about the frost, Karen3, but we canít handle it all up hereÖ.you guys have to take it off our hands once in awhile! (Thanks, though! )
Freda, címon over and hop in the tub whenever you want! (So long as Iím not in it, that is!) Iím beginning to think that I could survive quite nicely if all I had to live in was a bathroom with a clawfoot tub Ė I could put a hotplate on the shelf and cook myself up a meal here and there, and hang my clothes on the back of the door.
Lyn, are you buried in snow up there? I love your avatar picture, but frankly, Iíll be happier when you have one in maybe shorts and a short-sleeved top with some flowers around you. Something light & summery, anyway. Speaking of which, I probably ought to change mine to something like that, too. Maybe thatíll make me feel more hopeful of spring coming some day. Maybe.
Well, I need to get myself back to work, here. (ugh)
Thinking of all the rest of us Golden Ones Ė MaryLynn, Jo-annie, Karen31, Gayle, Rosey, and you know Iíll unintentionally miss a few names, but still wishing us all a great day and a nice long, relaxing weekend!
Z
Old 02-15-2008, 01:33 PM   #167  

Hi everyone.. its blowing and snowing here and drifting up against our house..dogs didnt want to go out this am and i cant blame them..im trying to get back to a normal routine but find my mind wandering and sad..i guess i need time..
Sandypickel..i belonged to curves for a year and loved it..my budget would'nt allow me to cont tho..they have these hydraulick(sp?) machines and in between dance pads..it took about 30min to go around once..i went 3 days a week but i could have gone eveyday if i had chosen to..they weigh and measure you once a month.
Ellabella your bathroom sounds devine..and loved the pictures..my house is amish mash too..rustic alaskan and crafty queen we live in a log home we built ourselves.
Lynne hope your shoulder cont to improve..mine did without surg but took along time
Karen3 congrats on the no chocolate..i had ahandful of peanut m&m's
Bobbi im sick of winter to and long for spring flowers.

Hello to all the GG's i missed hoping we all have agreat weekend(((hugs))) rosey
Old 02-15-2008, 04:52 PM   #168  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi there . . .

Old Mother Nature is now trying to give us back some of the snow she melted yesterday . . . so sweet of her . . . Tomorrow we might (just might) be getting some sunshine.

You are so right BOBBI . . . I've had it with this Winter, too . . . you are also right about the high volume foods -- I would recommend that everybody read Volumetrics for more information. One thing I really liked about that book is the fact that they outline the actual science behind the principles they put forth.

BTW, SANDY . . . that 'red sweater story' is just about the best NSV story I've heard in a long time . . . I'm sure your Mother would be proud (if for not other reason than that she was right -- you did do the right thing.

Not much else new around here . . . eating is still not great, but it is a lot better than yesterday (believe me, Chocolate-covered, Peanut Butter cups do NOT fit the principles of Volumetrics, at all ). After seeing that 224 again yesterday morning, I was back to 227.6 this morning, Oh well, it will go away again -- hopefully soon.

Big congratulatory for everybody who managed to control their chocolate- yesterday.

Have a great evening, gang . . .
Old 02-15-2008, 07:23 PM   #169  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
I want to join your book club too! I'll have to check the library in town to see if they have it, if not I'll wait for your second book. How long will you run the soldier book, will it be a monthly thing or until everyone has read the book?
Have a great day, Bobbi
Hi Bobbi,
I REALLY love to see you back with us again. This thread just isn't the same without our founder.

I'm going to post a "check-in" thread for the discussion. Step 1 - check-in when you have a copy of the book; Step 2 - check-in when you've read so many chapters of the book; Step 3 - we'll begin to discuss.

Lynn

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 02-15-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:06 PM   #170  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

freda - I buy myself very good chocolate as well. It seems to satisfy me, and I can stop at just one piece. While I allow myself to have it whenever I want, I usually only eat it a couple times each week.

Bobbi - great tips! Thanks for sharing

Birgit - what a GREAT NSV!!! While I have no issues with my mom and my weight NOW, it was awful growing up. She had been a cheerleader in HS, and was determined that I would follow in her footsteps. I didn't WANT to be a cheerleader, I have never been athletic, or flexible. I was very shy. Nothing about the idea appealed to me. I was a French horn playing nerd. We went round and round about my weight and how it would affect my "popularity". She finally started leaving me alone about my weight when I got married.

Karen3 - congrats on your V'day victory!!!

Zoe - I'm dreaming of daffodils, and crocus', and hyacinths, and tulips! Even that pesty spearmint is sounding wonderful right now We are on a roller-coaster weather weekend. Below 0 tonight with nasty winds and then freezing rain for Sunday. On the bright side - maybe I will get some much needed work done around the house.

Hello to everyone else! I hope you have a wonderful POP weekend
Old 02-15-2008, 09:16 PM   #171  
Birgit

S/C/G: 265/ticker/195

Height: 6'0"

Sooo... what does NSV mean?

And while I'm at it, why do people refer to DH, DD, DS etc? I've figured out that it means husband, daughter and son respectively. But what does the D stand for?
Old 02-15-2008, 09:18 PM   #172  
Onward and Downward

NSV = Non-Scale Victory
The D can stand for Dear or Darn or Devil -- many options depending on the context or your mood at the moment.

Here's a thread about acronyms (from the Forum Help Stickies) . . . http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83430

Last edited by meowee; 02-15-2008 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:21 PM   #173  
Birgit

Thanks, Linda - that was helpful.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:02 PM   #174  

S/C/G: Temporary Goal - 186/180/156

Height: 5'3"

Default Good evening GG's

Still feeling pretty chipper -- was supposed to weigh myself at the gym today, (in fact, I got up really early cause I couldn't wait), but I didn't go into the locker room as I usually do to put my stuff away, (today I didn't bring a gym bag and just hung my coat w/ keys outside the locker room -- so, I forgot to weigh myself before I exercised -- then, I remembered when I was on the treadmill and reminded myself to get weighed when I was done, by that time, 45 minutes later, I forgot again. Hmmm, maybe a good thing. Anyway, will bring my gym bag tomorrow morning and hopefully will remember to get weighed in the locker room -- geeezzzz, I really do scare myself.

Birgit, congrats on the red sweater, you must have felt wonderful, good for you, girl! Like Laurie, I didn't have issues per say with my Mom about weight, at least not anything verbal, but I did have four slim sisters, and my Mom was always trim (and complained constantly about her stomach -- she had none to speak of) -- I wore "chubby" sizes, so my Mom always had to take me, in those days, to a special store to buy clothes -- and even though she was too kind to ever say anything to me (my weight problem was the elephant in the room that noone talked about), I always felt a little guilty about making her go out of her way to get me clothes that fit -- -- I hated shopping and usually ended up holding back tears by the end of the day.

By the time I was maybe 13, she took me to diet drs., etc. and then a few year's later, finally WW's was founded and we began going to meetings together (she was a lifelong member who gained and lost the same 10 lbs. over 20 some years!!). That's when I guess I really began my constant roller coaster, not at all healthy, weight loss journey that lasted for decades. But, it's never to late to finally realize it's easier in the long run to just eat healthy and do some exercise .

Freda - great idea about the good chocolate once a day -- I might just try that -- I have been drinking a cup of diet Swiss Miss cocoa in the evenings a few times this week just to have that taste -- but Swiss Miss diet cocoa cannot compare with a good piece of chocolate -- I am sure I can fit one piece in my daily total of calories -- something to think about!

Bobbolink -- thanks for the high volume tips -- this time around, this past two weeks, my cabinets have been filled with whole grain rice, cereals, pasta, beans, etc. -- and I have been keeping a stock of various vegetables in the fridge to munch on during the day, and I am beginning to eat apples, oranges (and not just juice) pears, etc. -- it makes a difference -- sometimes by the end of the day, I find I still have a few hundred calories left to eat to get just under 1400, and I find I am not hungry if I fill up on high volume, fiber foods all day.

akrosey - it's still early, and you have been through alot of draining moments these past weeks or months, but, maybe when your Mom's dog comes tomorrow, you will begin to feel a little bit better about missing your Mom

Will check in tomorrow everyone -- everyone have a good night. Michele
Old 02-15-2008, 10:12 PM   #175  

S/C/G: Temporary Goal - 186/180/156

Height: 5'3"

Default Linda, Thanks for posting the acronyms thread!

I didn't realize there were so many!
Old 02-16-2008, 07:48 AM   #176  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning Everybody . . .

The sun is shining and I'm going to go out and play soon - - - - - - wow, it makes me realize just how boring my existence is when I can get this excited about something sooooo mundane as a sunny day. Oh well, they seem to be pretty rare this Winter.

Hope everybody else has a great day lined up . . . see you later . . .

Last edited by meowee; 02-16-2008 at 07:49 AM.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:41 AM   #177  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Default A Lazy Saturday Morning

Good Morning Everyone,

I actually have planned for 2 days of quiet - I hope to get my taxes ready & work on my mid-term. Since the PT changed his approach (Thursday), my shoulder is MUCH better. I'm just hoping this continues.

Hi Freda, I have a square of chocolate everyday also - usually, 85% cacoa - once in a while 70% cacoa. Supposed to be good for the cholesterol.

Hi Birgit, I have difficulties with comments from all folks not overweight about issues of weight. For the most part, I just wish they wouldn't say anything about it. One friend grated on me when she said, "Hunger is all psychological." My sister did it when she said "All this talk in the media about obesity is just hype." The only people I like to discuss this stuff with is the members of this group. Unless people are going through this journey, I don't really want to hear what they have to say about weight and weightloss.
I think Curves is an exercise program where you do a circuit of wt machines with a group of folks (with a trainer to help everyone during the circuit) - a few minutes on each machine - and then, end up with something aerobic - treadmill, or elliptical, or bike. I think ANY exercise program is helpful. Go in and talk with them. Just keep your checkbook & credit cards at home - tell them you need a night to think about it. ALL gyms are pretty pushy about getting folks to sign up.

Hi Karen3, glad the soap is working. Fruit spikes my blood sugar immediately. I can eat a few berries (around 10 blueberries, or 4 strawberries), I can eat a kiwi, and I can eat 1/2 apple - if I eat it with peanutbutter - but that's about all.
You wrote, "I read a while ago that where we are in life is not by luck but by choices we made." There is also a theory that we make choices before we are born - that we choose our parents so that we can work out something during out lifetime. When my DD heard about this theory, she thought about it & said, "I must have wanted to work on my sense of humor."

Hi Zoe, I like the idea of each of us getting a photo with flowers. I'll work on it.

Hi Rosey, SOOOO good to see you here. I missed you.

Hi Linda, ready for a new cat story - or are they getting too old to get into trouble? Speaking from an "existentialist point of view," the passion of the moment is the ONLY thing we humans ever truly have to be excited about. (I'm driving my family crazy with all this stuff - figured I'd spread a little out around here.)

Hi Laurie, did you get your Challenge reward?

Hi Michele, I always hated shopping also. No fun to shop when all you're doing is looking for what will make you look the least fat. I'm beginning to like it now. My DD and I went shopping after the holidays & we had a REALLY good time trying on clothes and modeling them for each other.

OK - I've had my coffee-klatch (never been sure how to spell that) I'm ready for the gym. Check back later,

Lynn
Old 02-16-2008, 09:57 AM   #178  
Birgit

Hi Linda - the sun is finally shining here, also. What a difference it makes in the way we view the world, huh? As soon as I get off the computer, I plan on taking the dog for a nice long walk, then running some errands and finally filing my taxes. I say all of this with a "spring" in my heart - actually looking forward to all these tasks - and that's only because the sun is shining. If it weren't, I'd still need to do all those things, but I wouldn't be as cheerful and enthusiastic about it.

Rosey and Lynn, thanks for your input on Curves. They literally are right on my way home from work and it would be an easy thing for me to stop by on my way home. So I think I will stop by and talk with them and Lynn, I will take your advice and leave my credit card inaccessible for the conversation. Makes sense to give it some overnight though.

Michele, your story about your mom taking you to shop for clothes in the chubby girls stores brought me right back to my own childhood. Ohmigosh... I actually grew up in Germany, where my mother pretty much knew how to navigate. We came to this country when I was twelve, and my mom spoke no English. So here she was, with a young daughter just entering adolescence, and the child is waaayyyy bigger than your average American girl. Looking at pictures of myself at the age of 12, I can see that I was not quite but pretty darn near my current height of 6 ft. And I wasn't fat then, but decidedly big-boned. At the same time, I had the heart of a 12-yr old and still wanted to be a child, and dress like one. My poor mother had absolutely no idea how to help me find clothes that would fit me, and didn't speak enough English to find out. In those days there were children's stores, and there were women's stores. Clearly, although I was still young enough to want to wear the kids'-style clothes, including knee socks and pleated skirts for Pete's sake, there was no squeezing my outside body into them. Shoes? Forgeddaboudid... I was already in a size 10 1/2 at that age. The only option that my Mom could find was to shlep me to women's clothing stores, dress her 12-yr old in pencil skirts, bolero jackets and nylons, with men's loafers on her feet. When I think about it now, it makes me laugh - but only a little bit. It was excruciatingly painful at the time. Of course, soon after that I began to "blossom" and gained weight at an alarming rate - only making the whole ordeal of finding clothes even more difficult. Not only was I outrageously tall, now I was also fat. My Mom and I used to joke (wryly) about soon needing to shop for my clothes in the tent section of the camping dept at Macy's. The fact that my Mom was a tall, beautiful, thin 5'8" who has always looked stylish and elegant in burlap sacks did not help the situation any. Ugh!

Karen3 - I believe that the paths our lives take are a composite of fate and decisions. There are some things that we really have no (or very minimal) choices about. Our geneology, for example (Lynn's theory of pre-birth determinations notwithstanding ), the political climate of the times we live in, the decisions that others make which affect us. Within that framework of outside factors, however, we Do have choices - and they DO have far-reaching consequences. I believe that it's all about how we react to the events that we can't control that ultimately determines who we are.

To everyone else - have a wonderful weekend! Hugs to all of you,
Old 02-16-2008, 10:56 AM   #179  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Good morning y'all....We sent for a machine called Rebuilder for DH's neuropathy and spent the evening watch the CD and giving him his 1st treatment. He had therapy with an anodyne machine, but they wanted hugh amt for that. Rebuilder is 1/3 the cost and he says felt similar. Boy, has life changed in our Golden years. Excitement now comes from plugging in elctrodes into a footbath and waiting to see if I fried him.

The first few years after we moved to Fl we ran a Hotbed Inn. Company had to wait while I changed sheets between guests. But now it's like every 2 weeks between guests. Does tickle me no end when they come stay with us eat 3 meals a day etc and take us out to dinner one night as thank you gesture. DAH! Latest at least is stopping by with RV. Of course they will plug in for electric/water and eat in. Think I'll stay down in Sarasota until Easter....and DH can't cook.

Hey...watch the Daytona 500 for just a sec tomorrow. If you leave the track and drive due West you'll be at my house or in the Gulf!

Gotta run to Home Depot....weedkiller for the weird Fl weeds and citrus/palm feeder. Be kind to yourself, eat health and hugs. karen3
Old 02-16-2008, 02:27 PM   #180  

Morning everyone..its a blizzard outside this am... brrrrr..my moms dog is on his way..hes put on a plane this am in minnesota and my dd will pick him up in anchorage this afternoon..my dd will bring to us on tuesday..hes going to be a very confused dog for awhile but can hardly wait for him to arrive.. everyones stories of their upbringing and how it defines themselves made be think alot on my upbringing.. i was a little tiny thing when i was akid and my folks worried about me not gaining weight and not eating.. they bribed me with a hershey chcolate bar to finnish whatever meal it was.. when i was a preteen they took me to a diet dr as i was chubby,,i was put on diet pills(speed) and a diet it never worked and i cont to have a weight ptoblem all my life and they tried to solve it for me.. all it did was make me feel different and not good enuff.. buying clothes was not fun and my mom sewed most of mine..my sisters where thin and i was the fat one..nothing was private and i felt picked on ..so ive always had weight issues and love chocolate go figure its amazing we all survived our upbring emotional wise anyways..now im almost 60 and still have weight issues,mostly ive matured into a person who is comfortable with who i am..and just want to be healthier..(sigh)dont we all want that..on another note some of the things that where my parents that i had shipped arrived yesterday so today im going to get my dd to help move furniture arround so i can display my treasures.. they bring me great happiness.. i have my grdd with me since last night and she been lots of fun and keeping me busy..hoping u all have agreat weekend ttfn GG.. rosey
Closed Thread