Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 08:29 PM   #151  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

This is definitely a Winter to remember even though I'd rather forget it . . . and quickly. We've done the snow today; and we've done the sleet today; we are now working on torrents of rain -- all with howling winds, of course. Nice that they always seem to get the forecast right -- when it's a bad one.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:04 PM   #152  

S/C/G: Temporary Goal - 186/180/156

Height: 5'3"

Default Good Evening Everyone!

Snow is all gone here, today is was all rain and sleet -- but, 50 degrees!

meowee -- glad to see you back, I was wondering what happened to you.

Birgit - the yogurt bread recipe sounds scrumptious! Like Zoe and Karen3, I could eat the whole thing, no kidding. I could never make my own bread, I would be picking at it all day. Birgit, you description of the 5% of "old people" made me giggle, how true!

Zoe - your sitting room is sooooooooo cozy! Would love to curl up in that chair with "Gone to Soldiers"! Love the claw foot tub -- my oldest sister just had one installed in her new bathroom -- it is beautiful - every time I have stopped there in the morning, she is still in the tub!

Phyllis - we want an electric fireplace in our next house - we now have a wood stove, which is very cozy, but it is dirty and smoky sometimes -- today I had to vacuum the foyer where my husband had brought in the wood last night -- don't need that mess anymore! My sister, the one with the claw foot tub also has an electric fireplace in her new place -- it is also beautiful and throws heat too.

Bobbilink - thanks for the fiber tips -- I have recently been tracking my food and fiber is included in the stats -- now I know I am shooting for 24 g. a day!

Lyn - Your beautiful pics (the egret, sunrise, sunsets) make me want to hop a plane and fly to one of my sisters' or friend's house in Florida -- oh, to be in the warm sun! Two of my sisters who live there call me frequently now that I am not working and say "come on down"!

Laurie, you are right, better late than never! I find myself rushing around in the morning, taking my pills, brushing my teeth, etc. and just the other day, I thought, what am I rushing for? Since I left my job, my stress level has dropped 70% - what a great feeling - I actually think I am starting to enjoy my quiet life!

I am almost through my second week -- weigh in is Friday -- so far, so good!

Have a nice relaxed evening everyone! Michele
Old 02-13-2008, 10:05 PM   #153  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I'm with all of you that are tired of winter! Another storm coming in - argh!

To those of you having trouble posting pictures that are too large, a couple of easy options:
1. If you have a PC, open the picture with Microsoft Picture Manager. Then click edit picture, then resize.
2. If you don't have it installed on your computer, I like using Imageshack. They are a free picture hosting website. Once you sign up, you can upload your picture - and one of the options is to re-size your picture for the web. You can then post the first forum link directly into your 3FC post.
3. If you have a Flickr account (again - it is free) you can also re-size your pictures. Click on the picture, then on edit photo, you will need to enable picnik - then click on resize.

No time for personals tonight, but I enjoyed reading everyone's posts. I hope to catch up more tomorrow

Have a great Thursday
Old 02-14-2008, 07:43 AM   #154  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning Golden Grils, It snowed again yesterday and is threatening to snow again today. All those pictures and descriptions of sunnier, warmer places are looking REAL good about now. I worked midnight shift Tuesday night instead of Wed. day shift. I worked midnight for a long time, but that was some time ago. I was pleased with the slower pace, but it was a long night, especially since I had been up since 6 that morning. I can understand now why I gained weight working midnights. You do so much paper work you just sit longer, plus trying to stay awake.

Linda, I'm glad to see you back. We have gotten so dependant on our computers. And I haven't had one that long. Our children/grandchildren take them for granted, are used to them always being there. I hope your eye is feeling better. Did you get to the Dr. yet?

Karen3, my little dog is terrified of thunder storms too. We finally had to put him on medication. It really did work and we haven't had to give him anything in some time.

Lyn, Welcome home! The pictures are making me too ready for vacation!

Birgit, I totally agree with you about people not changing when they get older. I've been told so many times "you have to look over them, they are old" "they" are they same as they always were, but now they get "looked over" Sorry, no excuse for being rude and sometimes just plain mean!

YoYo, I'm glad to hear that your friend is doing well. Feeling guilty seems to be a "survivor" problem. I see it often, and wish I had some magic formula to help people feel differently. I'm happy to hear that you are taking care of your self. You are giving your friend support by being there and careing. That's all you can do right now.

Zoe, Can I come over and take a long bubble bath? Just one time? Of course it might be a LONG bubble bath, I might never want to get out of that tub.

Michele, Old habits die hard, don't they? I am so used to getting up early for work I still can't sleep in. I still work, but only one day a week.

Everyone have a good day, Freda
Old 02-14-2008, 08:53 AM   #155  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Morning y'all..Darn it did you have to do this to me! Send winter down here. Woke up to FROST! It is 8:45am and the sun is slowly burning it off, but is still chilly outside. Digging deep in my closet for a sweater.

Happy Valentine's Day! Repeat after me little or no chocolate will pass thru these lips.

Can't believe it is Thursday again. Have a whole list of errands to do and ready to fight the tempation bug. Should be a perfect day to bike....or walk the mall if it doesn't warm up. Being retired has it's perks, but will admit after so many years of getting up early only in past 6 months have I finally been sleeping in until 7am. Do that by reading until 1am.

Catch you later....eat healthy, staywarm(me,too) and hugs.karen3
Old 02-14-2008, 09:34 AM   #156  
Lifetime Loser

Zoe, thanks for the info will try it this afternoon.

Your place looks amazing (as I expected) I also love the bathtub, my MIL had one like it and I loved to just soak in it. Our new place was done by a decorator and I hate to move anything in it.... But I am only taking 3 antique pieces so hopefully I can't mess it up too much but if there is a way to screw it up I can probably do it! lol

Lynn, how's the shoulder. Did you get the shot? Also, how is the little sister doing, I hope she stays in close contact with you.

Brigit, your recipe sounds so yummy but I know I have to stay away from homemade bread. I gave away my breadmaker when we moved in this condo.
I may try a loaf (made by hand) next winter in Ohio to go with some homemade veggie soup. Ohhhh that sounds good.

Some news...my son in law took a job with Colgate in Morristown, Tenn., near Knoxville. So they will be making their final move from Michigan when school is out in June. He is an engineer so big bucks and includes a great relocation package (buying their home if it doesn't sell) which is worth a ton of money in todays market. We are excited as it means instead of an almost 7 hr. drive it will only be a little over 4 hrs. and such a beautiful drivem down from Ohio. We are excited for them.

Looks like Grammy here will get to babysit finally!!! When my dd goes house hunting we will go up and stay with the boys. It will be so nice to be able to help her out.

Happy Valentines Day everyone....no candy here but dinner out. Actually cool down here this a.m. in the 40's......OK don't laugh!

Phyllis
Old 02-14-2008, 03:24 PM   #157  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Hi Everyone,

PT changed his approach today - feels a little better - maybe???? I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I went to doctor's - he gave me a referral for shot. I have appt. with that doctor at the end of the month - first one I could get. In the meantime, I will continue with PT in hopes of recovery. My Dr. & PT are starting to talk about surgery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Between the PT appointments, the doctors' appt's, the gym, and the course I'm taking - I'm feeling REALLY pressed for time. Sorry I haven't been more "present" here.

I still haven't received the book - supposedly it was sent out on the 8th. Looking forward to reading it.

Take care everyone,

Lynn
Old 02-14-2008, 03:29 PM   #158  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Read your chocolate mantra a little too late, I'm afraid. When I woke up this morning I was so glad to see that I was back to my ticker-weight, I celebrated at lunch with a lovely little bag of valentine's chocolates. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Why oh why do I constantly do this to myself?

Maybe I'll blame it on the weird weather -- it rained all night and the temperture was +8C (46-47F) first thing this morning and almost all of the accumulated snow has gone again. However . . . by early afternoon it had dropped to -2C (28-29F) and all the little lakes turned into little skating rinks. Instead of our usual after-lunch mall-crawl; we did a before-lunch mall-crawl to get home again before the major ice-over happened.

Hope everybody else is having a great day and managing the "no-chocolate" bit, better than I did. . .

Last edited by meowee; 02-14-2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:27 PM   #159  

S/C/G: Temporary Goal - 186/180/156

Height: 5'3"

Default Happy Valentine's Day GG's

Hi all! Happy Valentine's Day --

meowee -- so you treated yourself, -- you were back to your ticker weight and you rewarded yourself - good for you.

Karen3 - I took your mantra literally and had just a little chocolate pass my lips - I had a Cadbury Creme Egg for dessert tonight for a treat - just enough to feel wicked, but ugh, they are soooooooooo sweet.

Hope you all have a good night - Michele
Old 02-14-2008, 09:12 PM   #160  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

A quick fly-by to wish everyone a happy Valentine's day! No chocolate for me today. I had a lovely Chinese dinner with rice and tofu

The weather hear is frightful - another foot of snow and the roads haven't been touched by the plows. There was a semi truck stuck in my neighborhood because the streets are so narrow that he couldn't navigate. I live in a residential neighborhood in a small town. The driver must have been lost - we don't get semis driving these streets - EVER!

Today is my Mom's b'day, so I need to cut this short and go call her.

Take care! Stay warm!
Old 02-15-2008, 07:47 AM   #161  

Good Morning Lovely Ladies, Hope everyone is well, keeping warm and keeping on tract! I didn't do anything special for valentine's day. Didn't eat any candy either. But, I usually eat a bit of chocolate every day. Just one with a cup of tea in the afternoon. I plan it into my diet and have a good time deciding which piece i'm going to have that day. Might not work for everyone, but works for me and I look forward to it. And since I only have one, I buy myself very good chocolate.

Karen3, yes it was me that sent the cold weather down there. Sorry, I though you wanted some so you could truly appreciate the warm weather you have!

Phyllis, I babysit with my grandchildren every monday and tuesday. It's been a real blessing to have been able to do that. I know you will enjoy yours. And with your daughter moving closer, easier to see them more too. How wonderful!

Lynn, Sorry the therapy doesn't seem to be helping your shoulder much. Maybe the shot will make a difference. I am crossing my fingers.

Linda, I hope you enjoyed very bite of chocolate! We need to treat ourselves sometimes. Knowing that we can takes some of the temptation away. Not the whole bag though! but you are back on tract now, good for you. Can't let one little mistake get us off our plan.

Michele, One little cadberry egg doesn't do that much damage either. And it was dessert. I hope you enjoyed it. Chocolate is good for you, ya know.

countingdown, Good for you, being able to resist the temptation of chocolate on valentines day. It kind of surrounds you, it's everywhere you look.

Everyone, have a great day, freda
Old 02-15-2008, 08:59 AM   #162  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5 2

Good Morning, I'm sick to death of winter too. We have a snow drift as high as the roof top in our back yard. Lynn, I see you've kept the challenges going, good for you. I want to join your book club too! I'll have to check the library in town to see if they have it, if not I'll wait for your second book. How long will you run the soldier book, will it be a monthly thing or until everyone has read the book?

Food Tips
What Works: Eat High-Volume Foods
When you're hungry, you want to eat. Choose foods high in water and fiber and low in calories (think salad and broth-based soup), and you can eat a lot, feel full, and still have weight loss. Consuming supersize portions activates stretch receptors in your stomach, which then fire off "full" signals to your brain--but you've filled up and stretched without overdoing it on calories.
Do It Your Way
Add heft to every meal by reducing your portion of low-volume foods and folding in high-volume (but low-cal) ones. Fruits and vegetables, which are 80 to 95% water, are good additions, as are air-filled foods, such as puffed cereal instead of flat flakes. More simple swaps to fill your belly faster with more nutrients but far fewer calories.

Have a great day, Bobbi
Old 02-15-2008, 10:03 AM   #163  
Birgit

S/C/G: 265/ticker/195

Height: 6'0"

Hi Everyone - sorry I missed posting yesterday. Got carried away with the whole V-Day thing and never found time to get online. I've read all of your posts, but unfortunately am too pressed for time now to respond individually.

Just wanted to tell you all one thing, however: Do any of you have particular "issues" with your Moms around weight? For some reason she, like no one else in the entire Universe, can push those buttons in me. She was here for two weeks over Christmas and we had a lovely time. For Christmas, however, she gave me a bright red sweater that was slightly too small. I think she was unhappy when she gave it to me, cuz she could tell right away that it wouldn't fit. But what she said was "I just know that you'll do the right thing and it will fit before long..." Well, of course, I just wanted to stuff the freaken' thing right down her throat! Truly, I adore my mother - but this is one area where she just simply doesn't "get it."

Anyway, as I said - the sweater is bright red. I had ditched it into the back of the closet when she first gave it to me, but yesterday - being V-Day - I was casting about for something to wear that was red. So I pulled out the sweater, tried it on, and VOILA! the thing fit like it was made for me. Now that was a happy moment.

Hugs to all,
Old 02-15-2008, 10:26 AM   #164  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Morning y'all...Can't believe me self. No chocolate consumed! So I rewarded me with a pear. Now have to wait for Monday to see if pear did me in. For some reason fruit kills my diet. Considering that DH's family had orchards for generations and we always had fresh free fruit..AH HA there's my excuse for being chubby!

The me self is not a misprint...am still using the Irish Mist under the sheets. The Irish lads are waving to you all!

Bobbi: Thank you never thought about puffy food triggering my off switch. Perfect example I found was rice and liquid always feels like it blows up in my stomach. Gonna get some puffed wheat this week to add to cereal.

I read awhile ago that where we are in life is not by luck but by choices we made. That choices we made years ago still effect us now. Kinda scary to think that decisions I made at 18 are still in effect. But can apply that all across the board.

Sorry you are all still having winter. Just remember when summer comes and I am complaining about the 2H's(heat&humid) you can laugh at me. 3H's is nurse joke.

Bye...Be gentle with yourself and eat healthy. karen3
Old 02-15-2008, 10:32 AM   #165  
Birgit

S/C/G: 265/ticker/195

Height: 6'0"

Default Curves?

Quick question to all of you: Do any of you have experience with Curves exercise program? The one here in town is heavily marketing a February special that's making it pretty attractive to join. But I don't really understand how the program works. Do any of you know?
Closed Thread