Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 07:33 AM   #106  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Lynn, that course sounds interesting! I know you can fit it all in, but it will be a busy spring! Oh, and on the DAR...did you decide to join? My Dad was always pushing for my Mother and Sister and I to join. I have a cousin who has been a member for years and has all the "paperwork and research" done..but I've never been much of a "joiner"...maybe when I retire. I really think it would be a hoot considering my ancestry on the "other side" (which I actually find more interesting!)

Karen, I wouldn't worry about the ticker either till January..it's just one more thing to get stressed about...and stress can cause weight gain...so just forget about it, stay on plan and you might surprise yourself!
Old 12-13-2007, 10:15 AM   #107  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by femmecreole View Post
Lynn, that course sounds interesting! I know you can fit it all in, but it will be a busy spring! Oh, and on the DAR...did you decide to join? My Dad was always pushing for my Mother and Sister and I to join. I have a cousin who has been a member for years and has all the "paperwork and research" done..but I've never been much of a "joiner"...maybe when I retire. I really think it would be a hoot considering my ancestry on the "other side" (which I actually find more interesting!)
I'm going to try. I've been invited to join my local chapter. I've sent for the DAR applications made on the ancestor I will base my claim on (Captain Abner Seeley). The trick will be connecting the records from my grandmother (I have her birth certificate) to documentation for those between her and the Captain.

My primary interest is for my great-niece. She is a history major - freshman in college. She could use a little scholarship money.

Lynn
Old 12-13-2007, 10:33 AM   #108  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Just a quick HI . . .

It is snowing -- just for a change -- I now have two cats at the Vet's . . . Purrecious went in yesterday. Looks like it will soon be three because Mouse just started sneezing and squinting, too. Hope I can wrestle him into a cage to make the trip. At least the Vet tells me that Frack is finally showing signs of recovering.

I'm a mess . . . eating every bad for me thing I can get my hands on . . . this morning I haven't even tested BGL -- (a) I honestly forgot and (b) I don't want to know.

See you later . . .
Old 12-13-2007, 01:46 PM   #109  

Hi Golden Girls, I just got back from therapy. One day I say it's not helping and the next day I say "well, maybe". I guess It's just one of things that take time. I did get a complement from my therapist today. She said "you've lost weight, haven't you?" Made my day. Maybe my week! Tonight is Hubby's Christmas party. And of course it decided to start snowing. Last year we had a big snow storm that night. I hope history doesn't repeat it's self!! I am always the designated driver and dislike driving in the snow.

Cat. Love the rug and fabric. I bet the room will look lovely. I hope your table arrived. If not, maybe think picnic? It doesn't matter how or where you eat, or even what, if the company is good. So your party should turn out well.

Zoe, I did find some pants, thank you. I went out early, before it got too bad. I will wear my new pants with my green shirt and that's about as festive as i'm going to get. I hope the pain in your hip is resolving. Was the injection you mentioned cortisone? Those do help lots and usually aren't that bad. And recovery usually isn't over a day.

Karen, After reading your post about the shooting I got goose bumps! Thank God your son is safe. It's sad when the 2 places we think should be the safest, school and church, are attacked! You know stress can make you gain weight, and with all the stress you've been under, no wonder you're not losing! Just keep eating right and exercising and it will work it's self out!

Debbie, I hope you're feeling better by now. And i want to know more about that procedure the doctor does for you. It sounds like something that I might find useful!

Lynn, Your college courses sound interesting. And you're teaching at the same time? That will keep you busy and out of trouble!

Linda, So sorry to hear that the rest of your babies are getting sick too. I hope they get well quickly.

And Hi too all the GG's I didn't mention.

Freda
Old 12-13-2007, 06:48 PM   #110  

S/C/G: 198/155/150

Height: 5ft6"

Default newby

Hi group, I just joined the group. My name is Pat. I am at 190:started the journey at 198. I need support to get to my goal of 150. I look forward to meeting people in my age group losing weight
thanks
Pat
Old 12-13-2007, 06:59 PM   #111  
Onward and Downward

Hi again, gang . . . and

PAT . . . so glad to have you joining us

Just a little update -- Mouse is at the Vet's; Purrecious is home (not because she's well; because the Vet can't handle her so I'm going to try getting drops in her eyes three times a day -- she likes me better than she likes the Vet but not by much. My guess is she will be returning to what the Vet has now declared to be "My Room" sometime tomorrow. On a little bet of an up-note -- Frack is looking a lot better after spending the whole week there and will still stay until her course of meds is finished; Frick and Blizzard still seem fine . . .

Speaking of our Pets . . . thought this was rather a cute article . . . although I know that none of us would ever think this way, of course. . . . http://50plus.com/display.cfm?t_offs...cumentID=20540
Old 12-13-2007, 07:37 PM   #112  
-

Quickly running by with some good news. My daughter just called and said she got a call from central casting and she got an "extra" job in a movie..
Sex in the City. She's beyond thrilled. Usually when she does extra stuff, she calls them to ask if there is anything available, but this time they called her after seeing her folder. so cool.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:19 PM   #113  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

How awesome about your daughter's job, Cat!

I left work in Boston at 1:00 this afternoon. It had been snowing there for about a half hour and the cars in our parking lot (including mine) were well covered, and the snow was coming down thick and fast. It took me from 1:00 to 5:30 to get home - usually a 45-minute/hour at the very most drive. The roads just got worse and worse the farther I went, and I had to stop periodically to clean off my windshield wipers which kept ketting coated with chunks of ice, and ice kept building up at the bottom of the windshield so that they couldn't go all the way down and kept "clunking". I had to keep stopping because every half hour or so, the windshield would be mostly covered with snow and ice, and there would just be a small space - maybe 6 or 8 inches wide and maybe about that high for me to peer through. There were cars and cars and cars off the road, and I am so glad that I got those new tires on Sunday, because I didn't slide even once. But the traffic never went much over 15 MPH, and more often it was at @ 5 MPH or at a complete standstill. After I got off the highway, it took me about an hour and a half to get across town and home, finally. During the last half hour, my windshield wipers stopped altogether, and I was looking through a curtain of water. I kept my defroster up as high as it would go so that the snow would melt off my windshield instead of freezing on it, and thus made it home. People were spinning out and getting stuck in front of me, and I just kept on driving around them with my brand new tires and my Venice Beach sunglasses that my son bought me perched like talismans atop my head. My son, whom most of you know is very tall, has a habit of placing his hand on my head like I'm a little child and he a grown-up...and the glasses made me think of him doing that...and wishing me home safely. It was a good feeling.
When I got home I had to call everyone - all the kids - I had been keeping in touch with them via cellphone, and they were all waiting to hear that I'd made it home. DH was overjoyed; he'd been so worried, as had everyone, I guess. Well, I certainly hope that this isn't going to be the norm this winter. I DO feel very accomplished and victorious - and even a little heroic, for having conquered such adversity and all, but I'm not very anxious to do it again anytime soon. We've been invited to a holiday soiree on Saturday evening, but another storm is predicted, and my inclination is to stay put.
We had flatbread pizzas for supper topped with FF mozarella cheese, a very thin coating of pizza sauce, thinly sliced onions, red peppers, green peppers, black olives and chicken. I use my lavash bread - low calorie, high fiber - and everything else is low in calories & fat. Tastes delicioso, and is so easy to make! DH did all the slicing & dicing; I just arranged the ingredients on the lavash and stuck them in the oven for ten minutes.
If we had already been living in my daughter's house instead of here, I would have been home an hour earlier. She lives much closer to the Mass Pike.
I hope my windshield wipers are just frozen and start working again once they've thawed out. Otherwise, I guess the motor went or something, and that's probably costly - and time consuming - to fix. Darn it!
Okay, sorry about being so self-centered here tonight. You know I love you all!

<yawn>
Gotta go to bed.

Z
Old 12-14-2007, 12:46 AM   #114  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Gosh Zoe, So glad that you made it home safe and sound! I have a 4wd S10 Blazer and I still won't drive in the snow!! Tim laughs at me and says I have the only 4wd Blazer that hibernates in the Winter!! I slipped off the road when I was 16 in the snow and I have been panicked ever since to drive in the snow. I guess if it was a real emergency I would but I know I am not confident enough to drive in it!! So Kudos to you for driving in it. And in the Boston traffic too!! Makes me shudder to even think about it!

Cat, that is so exciting about your daughter!! Be sure and keep us posted on when the show will air... we'll have to watch for sure!

Linda (meowee) I am thinking about you and your "babies" tonight. I hope the vet gets them all fixed up and they are back home feeling great in no time. If you're like me you even worry about them being at the vets. Please be carefull driving in your weather too.

Hi Pat I'm sure you will love it here. Just jump in and we're happy to get to know you too.

Freda, good to hear from you. It sounds like you are doing really good. Enjoy your Christmas party. This is the first year that we haven't had one is forever to go to. Since Tim was termintated from his job in April there won't be a company Christmas party this year. But I'm trying to get all the grandkids together with grandparents here sometime during the Holidays. Trying to fit everybody's schedule isn't always easy and I'm not sure it will even work this year.

Well, It is getting late here and I'm tired tonight. I just let the girls outside and my gosh it is cold!! More snow coming tonight!

To all the Golden Girls that I missed......I'll try to get caught up sooner or later.
Have a good night.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:54 AM   #115  
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellabella View Post
We've been invited to a holiday soiree on Saturday evening, but another storm is predicted, and my inclination is to stay put.

Z
If it's still storming like that, a night at home sounds like the way to go! Bless your heart for having to go through all of that. I would have been terrified.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:45 AM   #116  

Good Morning Lovely Ladies, I Couldn't Wait To Get Online To Tell Everyone How Well I Did Last Night. Parties Are Always Tempting And I Made Good Choices. I Even Found Someone To Talk To. Usually I Just Set There While Everyone Talk "shop".

Zoe, How Terrible! I Hate Driving In Weather Like That. I'm So Gald You Made It Home Ok. Living Closer To Work Will Be A Bonus. If The Weather Isn't Any Better I Think I Would Just Skip The Other Party! It's No Fun If You Have To Worry All Night About Getting Home.

Cat, Wow! How Exciting! Please Let Us Know When Your Dd Will Be On So We Can Watch. Just A Beginning...?

Linda, So Glad The Babies Are Doing Ok. I Hope They Are Home Soon. I Know They Are Being Cared For In The Hospital But Need To Be Home For The Love Part Of Healing.

Karen, I'm With You. I Didn't Have An Accident On Slick Road But I Lost Controle Of My Car. It Went From One Side Of The Road, Hit The Curb, Back To The Other Side. I Had No Controle At All. I Just Set There Waiting For Someone To Hit Me. No One Did, Thank Goodness, But I Still Can See It And Feel The Panic. I Hope You Get Everyone Together For The Party. I Know How Hard It Is To Try To Fit In Everyones Schedules, And There Aren't That Many Of Us.

Pat, Welcome! Jump Right In And Get To Know Everyone. I'm Fairly New Too And Everyone Has Been Very Kind. I Look Forward To Getting To Know You.

Take Care All, Drive Safely! Freda
Old 12-14-2007, 12:55 PM   #117  

S/C/G: 235/ticker/140

Height: 5-10

Happy Friday GG's!

Welcome Pat! Excited to have you here & looking forward to your posts, Freda's right, just jump in & start talking. I've found these people to be the nicest group of online friends I've ever had.

Zoe you're my hero. Like Karen I had a slide off the road when I was in my twenties (actually just walked off & abandoned that car right there... what a coward!). I'm a thorough Texan & really have no business at all pretending I know how to drive in the snow, much less during a storm. When we did our stent in Boston I was consistently amazed at how people would just take oh... 2 feet of snow in stride & keep on going. Thankfully I took the trains. Glad you made it home safely & give serious thought to staying home this weekend until the next Noreaster blows over. Glad DH is enjoying C+ (it's a mystery to me too, the only C I can relate to is the one on the piano).

Freda it appears the party was a success! Yay! Glad you enjoyed yourself & very glad you found healthy food. It's cool when people notice a weight loss, congratulations!

Cat, first from what I've seen of your recipies, your pics & your style, you could probably serve your guests off a picnic table in your garage with flair. Hope you get your table in time but my bet is with or without the furniture your guests will still have a wonderful time. So cool to hear about your daughter! Let us know when/what/where etc.... we want to watch!

Karen
it's absolutely sane to put the ticker on the shelf until next month. This month has enough worries, no reason to stress. Overall you're doing fantastic! The girls are okay? I've been walking the boys 1 to 1.5 miles a day & that calms them down for oh..... 3 hours or so. Gives me a break so I can work.

Okay... maybe I should start my Christmas shopping soon. Starting to feel a little guilty. Have a few things stashed in the closets that need to be wrapped but just can't get in the mood. My husband affectionaly calls me the grinch but he's probably right. As un-Christmasy as it sounds, this is a dark season for me (enough life losses to make me pessimistic I suppose). It must perk up soon. Maybe eggnog will do the trick!

Nix the eggnog, MY ticker didn't budge through a marathon & now through training. Like you Karen, I'm ignoring it for a while & carrying on.

Happy Friday to everyone & hugs to all. Back to work for me.

Marylynn
Old 12-14-2007, 01:02 PM   #118  
Joanne

S/C/G: 267/250/170

Height: 5'7"

Morning GOLDEN GIRLS sorry I haven't been able to catch up lately. I have been checking in but get distracted at work before I can actually type something. I had to reset myself - I did 18 days on plan then another 3 -- yesterday I fell off a bit but not too horrid. Had a few goodies at the Christmas get together. I figured probably about 500 - 600 extra calories and sadly I wasn't feeling well enough earlier to attend my last class of the year. Then in the new year I only get a week of classes before we head to Maui for a week. Well I will do a lot of swimming there - that should conteract the mai tais (LOL as if I will even drink one). I remember going to Hawaii when I was 19 with my girlfriend and we had TONS of Blue Hawaiian drinks - can't even imagine what the calorie count would have been but when I was 19 I didn't care LOL.

Hope all is well with everyone -- to all my Northeastern friends stay warm and safe - to everyone else I will catch up next week.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:22 PM   #119  
lynard

S/C/G: 214/206/180

Height: 5'9"

Default Friday greetings

Just finished catching up with the GG posts....Karen - so glad your GS was not anywhere near that horrible shooting! Zoe - what a horrendous drive home yeasterday...glad you're safe and sound...could just picture you peering forward trying to see through that little hole in your icy windshield, with the sunglasses perched on your head. I bet it took a while to unwind after that one!
Cat - love the rugs and color scheme - looking foward to photos of the new room. And that's great news about your DD!

Meowwee - hope the cats are in recovery!

Lynn - Yes, I'm too am looking forward to taking interesting courses - I never took philosophy in college and would love to take a course or 2.

Marilyn - love the new picture of you crossing that marathon finish line. You're my inspiration.

Welcome Pat....

Karen - I too am not focused on my ticker for the rest of Dec. Just want to maintain.

Well, we got some snow, but not as much as New England. I stayed home yesterday with a cough and got some Xmas wrapping, decorating done. I'm the only one from my group here at work today so it's slow. No plans for the weekend other than more decorating and wrapping. Will fire up the woodstove too. I'm about to go hit the fitness center..it's the only way I can maintain this time of year.

Hey did all catch the "Metamorphasis" thread on the Goal forum? Check it out...this woman lost 200 pounds!! She looks incredible.

Lyn

Last edited by lynard21; 12-14-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:20 PM   #120  
Onward and Downward

Hi . . .

Having another busyday and yes it has been snowing again.

On the sick cat front . . . Mouse is staying at the Vet's over the weekend and is not in great shape. Frack is spending her second weekend at the Vet's and she is doing very well (at this rate she'll forget were she really lives); but she was in bad shape earlier on in the week and we want to make sure she is completely well before she gets to come home. Purrecious is home and is now trying to fight this off on her own because neither the Vet nor I can get the drops into her eyes. Both Frick and Blizzard seem to be doing okay -- sometimes a little sneeze or a little liquid around an eye; but nothing major like the others have experienced. I just hope they are all healthy by this time next week when I'm ready to leave for Ontario.

Anyway . . . here is just one more reason we all need to control our weight (at least if you are a rat, , but it makes sense that it would apply to humans too) . . . http://www.everydayhealth.com/public...12/12&q1=&cen=

Have a great evening everybody . . . see you soon . . .