Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 01:34 PM   #106  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellabella View Post
Lynn, what is the family name in Massachusetts? The one from the 1630ís, I mean? My dadís family came to Massachusetts a few years after the Mayflower, and then bought up land in Little Compton and Sakonnet (Newport County) Rhode Island. There were a lot of intermarriages between those first families. Wouldn't it be a kick if we were related way back when?TTFN,
(Oh, I know it's not Easter, but I really LOVE this little bunny)
Name = Seely (spelled a zillion different ways). Robert Seely, wife Mary (Mason), and son Nathaniel Seely (2 yrs old) travelled from England to Mass. on the Arabella with John Winthrop.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:52 PM   #107  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Lynn, might your Robert & Mary Seeley have lived in Watertown, MA? And might they have had TWO sons - Nathaniel and Obadiah?
Old 11-14-2007, 08:21 AM   #108  
lynard

S/C/G: 214/206/180

Height: 5'9"

Default Just Checking in

Hi all,

Yesterday was my youngest DD's Birthday and she wanted to go to Red Lobster...so we did..and I ate...a lot. I did pick grilled fish (trout with a wonderful grilling sauce), but also shared coconut shrimp, had a ceasar salad and those cheesy biscuits. I felt pretty bloated afterwasrds...my body's not used to all that food. At least there was no room for dessert (except 2 tastes of key lime pie)..and I walked at noon.

So, I'm trying to get back on track. And i see Thanksgiving looming on the horizon. This time of year is SOOOO difficult to stay on track, don't you agree?

So...Zoe and Lynn - sounds like you might be related. I'll have to get my ancestors names to you as mine are also from MA and VT. On my mother's side through the "Fitts" family I go back to John Eaton (b. 1595) in Warwick England...through his son Thomas and then grandson Jonathon from Haverhill MA. Someone on my father's side founded the town of Essex, MA - I think his last name was Stevens or Anderson. Heck we're all probably related if you go back far ennough. But it is fun to find out isn't it?

Don't have time to write to all...so will just say Have a great Wenesday!!

Lyn

Last edited by lynard21; 11-14-2007 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:54 AM   #109  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellabella View Post
Lynn, might your Robert & Mary Seeley have lived in Watertown, MA? And might they have had TWO sons - Nathaniel and Obadiah?

Hi Zoe,

There's quite a debate about whether or not Robert and Obediah were related. The following is from http://www.seeley-society.net/

"There has been a question of the ancestry of Obadiah for some time. It is clear from the evidence that Obadiah is not the son of Robert and Mary Mason Seeley, nor does there appear to be any close relationship. Because SGS numbers have already been assigned in the previous publication of Generations One Through Five, and The Sixth Generation Families, it has been decided that the numbering of Obadiah's descendants will not change. At the time of the original publication, Obadiah was considered a son of Robert, and so he was listed as being a part of the second generation. We have kept that designation. It appears that Obadiah's father may have been William Seeley. We are waiting for more research to be concluded in this area."

Lynn
Old 11-14-2007, 11:20 AM   #110  
Joanne

S/C/G: 267/250/170

Height: 5'7"

Hi GOLDEN GIRLS Sorry I have been absent - no excuse except busy busy. I finally nailed down my top three items for the wedding and now I should be able to relax until about July (ya right).

On the bright side of life I am attending an awards ceremony today and one of the awards we are giving out is in memory of my dear friend who passed away just over 2 years ago. It took a lot of work and it was a labour of love but we raised $10,000 plus a matching grant from the government of $2500 to have an annual award for one of the students in our program. Heather (my friend) used to work tirelessly on the awards ceremonies and it is so fitting to honour her this way. I am also thrilled that her husband and son will be in attendance and her son will actually present the award to the student.

On the diet side of life I am STRUGGLING. As the last while eating isn't horrid but it's not great either. My exercise is about once a week with the greatest of intentions to make it more. Even today I am not going to class because my hair needs cutting (LOL best excuse ever). Actually the hair is long and almost unmanageable and having to do the ceremony after the class I would be a wreck. I am not usually vain about how I look after class - everyone at work has seen me at my best and worst so I don't give a rip LOL. But today is special. Tomorrow - I feel like Scarlett - -there is always tomorrow -- acckkkk but Maui is less than 2 months away!!!

I will try to catch up soon with everyone.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:16 PM   #111  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi there GOLDEN GIRLS . . .

OMG, LYN . . . I so relate to your Red Lobster trip . . . those biscuits are my absolute favourite things. I'm actually lucky, really, really lucky, that there is no Red Lobster within easy driving distance of my part of Nova Scotia.

Well, we ended up with just about every sort of nasty weather possible for this time of year yesterday -- snow -- high winds -- torrential rain -- freezing rain -- I hate that freezing rain. Today . . . absolutely gorgeous; no wind to speak of; beautiful sunshine; current temperature is 9C/48F. Tomorrow . . . forecast is calling for aropund 15C / almost 60F

One thing I do know . . .

Today, November 14, is WORLD DIABETES DAY. Please spend some time thinking about this disease as you go about your activities today.

In a nutshell --

Type I Diabetes is basically an auto-immune disease and there is probably not a lot anyone can do to avoid it. Only about 10% of the 8,000,000 to 10,000,000 (that's MILLIONS, folks) North Americans with Diabetes have Type I.

However --

Type II Diabetes (which the other 90% have) is basically a lifestyle disease (often a direct result of poor eating and poor exercise habits) and it has reached epidemic proportions world-wide. There is a lot that can be done to assist both current and future generations to avoid Type II. Obviously, by eating better and exercising more.

The bad news -- on a site like 3FC which is dedicated to weight loss -- the proportion of the population with Diabetes, or on their way to a diagnosis of Diabetes, is probably considerably higher than in the general population. The good news -- every one here is trying to take the two most important steps to avoiding and/or controlling Diabetes -- eliminating their bad eating habits and improving their exercise routines -- in order to lose excess weight.

Keep up the good work with your efforts to lose weight and improve your over all lifestyle, everybody . . .
Old 11-14-2007, 02:07 PM   #112  
LindaD

S/C/G: 220/194/145

Height: 5'4"

Talking

Good Morning Golden Girls:

It's so beautiful in CA this week. It's been in the low 80's and you can see all the way to Catalina Island.

I'm enjoying the books on tape. Last night I walked for an hour at 3.2 and up to Level 4 and even though I was perspiring I didn't notice it that much. Anyway, if anyone has a treadmill at home you may want to give it a try. It's not anything new for some people but it's something different for me.

Freda: I like mysteries and read so many books from various authors. I picked up some audio books written by Fannie Flagg. http://www.randomhouse.com/features/fannieflagg/ and of course I enjoy the classics.

Zoe: Sometimes weight loss is ebb and flow. It's just the way it is. I still have days where I eat more than I should or crave something I shouldn't have and then break down and eat it so I don't end up eating a bunch of stuff instead of what I'm craving. All I can say about exercise is that once you start and stick with it for about a month you will want to exercise not only because it makes you feel better but it boosts your motivation.

When I'm especially tired and just don't want to jump on the treadmill, I do it anyway, and afterwards I feel re-energized and proud of myself. I think this is what has continued to motivate me. I can't say it's easy to get into an exercise routine, especially when you don't like exercise. But, who likes exercise? Not many, I'm sure.

I started out walking for 15 minutes and sometimes instead of walking I would work out to a Richard Simmons video or just put on some good music and dance around the house. I tried to find anything that would keep me moving. I would even go to the mall and before I could visit a store or go to the food court to get an iced tea I had to walk all the way around the mall....two times on the top level and two times on the bottom level.
Sometimes I go to the beach to walk or a beach community where the gardens are exquisite and focus on that while I walk.

You will find that in time it's actually not too bad and it comes naturally. I think since I work so hard exercising it keeps me focusing on what I eat. I don't want to put out that much effort and blow it with food. I also keep a daily journal of everything I eat, exercise, vitiamins, etc.

Zoe,I hope this will help you some. (You actually look maaaaarvelous in your photos...wished I looked half that good) Good luck....I know you can do it. I like Anne Rivers Siddons and many more. I read about 3-4 books a week. I'd rather read than do anything. Reading just takes me away (like Calgon) and I love it. It's so neat that your son is marrying his first love. Wow! You just never know.... I'd like to meet one of my first loves.....Rocky Gilliam....he was a doll...wonder what he's doing now. Hmmmm

I hope all you GG's have a wonderful day and I'll talk to you soon.

Last edited by LindaD; 11-14-2007 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:15 PM   #113  
LindaD

Wink

For your enjoyment:

www.YouAreLoveMovie.com

Last edited by LindaD; 11-14-2007 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:21 PM   #114  
LindaD

Sorry, I was trying to send you Mrs Claus Cookbook which my sister sent to me. It's very neat but I couldn't get the link pasted for some reason. I've tried saving it, etc. but no luck. I sent it to everyone in the office and they just love it. I wish I could get it to you too.

Last edited by LindaD; 11-14-2007 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:41 PM   #115  
LindaD

The History of Thanksgiving:

http://www.history.com/minisites/thanksgiving/
Old 11-14-2007, 07:58 PM   #116  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hello To All! I hope you don't shoot the messenger here but I too have a hard time passing up those Cheese Biscuits at Red Lobster!! Last year I was there and I mentioned to the manager that I really liked them. I was totally surprised when she told me they were made with Bisquick!! She gave me the Betty Crocker site to go to to be able to get the recipe! I'm going to post it here. They sure are good!

Cheese-Garlic Biscuits

2 cups original Bisquick mix
2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup shredded chedder cheese (2 ounces)
2 TBS. butter or margarine
1/8 tsp. garlic powder

1. Heat oven to 450*F
2. Stir Bisquick mix, milk and cheese until soft dough forms. Drop dough by 9 spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet.
3. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Stir together butter and garlic powder; brush over warm biscuits.

One Biscuit: calories 160 (Calories from fat 70); Fat 8g (Saturated 3G); Cholesterol 10mg; Sodium 460mg; Potasium 70mg; Carbs 17g(dietary fiber 0g)Protein 4g

Cheese-Garlic Biscuits (lighter recipe)

2 cups Reduced Fat Bisquick mix
2/3 cup fat free (skim) milk
1/2 cup shredded reduced fat chedder cheese (2 ounces)
1/2 tsp garlice powder
Butter flavor cooking spray, (if desired)

1. Heat oven to 450*F
2. Mix Bisquick mix, milk, cheese and garlc powder to make a soft dough. beat vigorously for 30 seconds. Drop dough by 10 to 12 spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet.
3. Bake 8 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Spray warm biscuits with cooking spray before removing from cookie sheet. Serve warm.

One biscuit. Calories 100 (Calories from fat 20); Fat 2g(Saturated 1g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 300mg; Potasium 60mg; Carbs 17g(dietary fiber 0g); Protein 4g
Old 11-14-2007, 08:11 PM   #117  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Wow KAREN . . . thanks . . . just finished printing that recipe. Have to get some Bisquick and try it really soon . . . know I'll never stop at just one, of course.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:27 AM   #118  

Hi LindaD,

Actually, the first Thanksgiving was celebrated in England before the pilgrims came to "America." It had to do with gunpowder - see below -

Thanksgiving was celebrated in England prior to the pilgrims coming to America. The first annual day of thanksgiving instituted in England was for the discovery of the Gunpowder Plot. On November 5, 1605, Guy Fawkes was captured standing guard over 36 barrels of gunpowder hidden in a vault under the House of Lords. He and his accomplices planned to blow up Parliament on its opening day, with the king, the royal family, the House of Lords, and the Commons in attendance. The leadership of England would be destroyed in one massive explosion. In this way the Catholic conspirators hoped to rid England of the disease of Protestantism! That the conspirators were discovered before any harm was done was certainly cause for thanksgiving. The traitors were arrested and executed, and parliament ordered November 5 to be kept as a "public thanksgiving to Almighty God." This was to be an annual day of thanksgiving, "that unfeigned thankfulness may never be forgotten, and that all ages to come may yield praises to God's divine majesty for the same." Guy Fawkes Day continues to be celebrated in England.

Lynn
Old 11-15-2007, 08:56 AM   #119  
lynard

S/C/G: 214/206/180

Height: 5'9"

Exclamation Re-starting myself!

Lot's of interesting posts. Thanks for the Thanksgiving insights, and LindaD thanks for the inspirational link. Boy, I really need some inspiration and motivation right now. I got on that dreaded scale this am and was up another pound. This has got to STOP RIGHT NOW!!So just for today (one day at a time is best, right?) I am going to stay within my 25 WW points. I am going to exercise at lunch..upper body strenthening and the eliptial for 20 minutes. I have a little toy train next to my computer with a sticky on it that says "On track?" just to remind me of my renewed committment. No more Girl Scout Cookies...I brought some home last Sunday and luckily they are no GONE. Fish and vegies for dinner. Apple for snack. Here I go!

Lyn
Old 11-15-2007, 08:57 AM   #120  

Good morning all, It's starting out to be a nice day. I can see the sunshine trying to make it's presence know outside. It's supposed to be cold today, in the mid 40s, but who knows. The weather people are wrong as much as they are right. I do hope we get good weather for the weekend. My grandson (age 8) played rag-tag football this fall and his team took first place and now they play in the play-offs this weekend. It's about an hour away from home and it's all day, 2 days, depending on wherether they win their first game. If it's as cold as they say I might have to pass it up. I hate missing the kids activities.

I worked yesterday but i'm off now untill next Wed. Working the 12 hour shifts do have some benefits. I start water arobics tomorrow. I can't wait. I am one of those people who always looked forward to exercising. You know, park the car at the back of the parking lot, take the stairs instead of the elevator. I took every oportunity to get a few more steps in, in addition to my regular walking. One of the rehab doctors used to tell me I was addicted. He may be right. What I'm adicted to is how much better I feel when I exercise, and how much better I sleep. And how much easier it is to lose weight and keep it off.

to those of you that can resist the "all you can eat" buffet, I applaude you. I can't be trusted in one. I do ok with the regular food, but we recently went to a chinese buffet. Talk about making a pig of yourself. I just had to try "just one bite" of everything, becaue it was different. I guess I learned something though. Stay OUT of those places!

Take care, Freda
Closed Thread