Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 01:52 PM   #136  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Good Morning! And Welcome Craftyone!! I know you are going to love it here--- This is such a great group of caring and supportive ladies!! I don't know what I would do without them!

I got on the scales this morning and they didn't move from last week! So guess I need to push a little harder this week. I did go to the Dr. for that "YUCKY" yearly exam and he was really happy that I had lost the wieght that I have! Made me feel good! Now I have a mammorgram and a bone density test scheduled for the first week in December! Hope we aren't snowed in!!

meowee-- I hope you are feeling lots better now. I know they are talking about a nasty bug going around here too. WE are planning on going to my sons for Thanksgiving and I'm just hoping that nobody there happens to be sick!

Trish-- WOW! Sounds like you had a wonderful time in Vegas and lost weight too!! Great job!!

Freda--- We all have those days when we eat too much--- Just jump back on plan and start again from today! I know my days of eating a little too much happen to be because I eat instead of yell at Tim!! He is really starting to look for work now since his unemployment runs out next month but this last 7 months has been no picnic! I may go to work when he reitires to keep the peace!!!

Lynn-- I really thought that it would be a piece of cake to get to 150 by the end of the month--- now I'm not so sure!! Oh well-- I'll keep plugging along!

Marylynn, so glad that your hubby found work! I can't wait for that day! He is a great guy but I like it better when we are apart for at least the 8 hour work day!!

Craftyone-- WOW!! 80 pounds lost! How did you do that? I think when the Dr. put me on hormone therapy that was my downfall! I am off of that now and have been for about 5 years but this weight is so hard to get off! I know one pound at a time!

Well, I hope everyone has a good day and I'll be back later to catch up with everyone that I missed. Got to go to the store this morning to pick up stuff for Thanksgiving
Old 11-16-2007, 02:27 PM   #137  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

to the group CRAFTYONE . . . . . . and , too. You've definitely come to a great place for lots of support and friendship as you travel the long and winding road to better help and fitness, Chickie. So glad to see another craft lover and another cat lover . . . I've got six also, but all of mine are strictly the indoor kind. Losing weight is certainly never easy and it gets harder and harder once you reach 'a certain age'. I've lost 60 pounds in the past almost two years; but it is down to a real snail's pace now. Of course, my diabetes (and the medications for it) doesn't help. You are doing marvellously well. How long has it taken you to dump that 80 pounds? Motivation to exercise . . . you've got to be kidding . . . you and I could probably sit and compare our exercise hate levels for hours and hours. I recently got a Gazelle and I honestly quite like it but I still have to force myself to get on it. Just keep pushing at it, girl. maybe you'll get to be one of those lucky ones that it.

Oh KAREN. Glad to hear the internal is over. Best wishes for the mamo -- OMG I hate those.

Big for everybody else, too . . . See you later . . .
Old 11-16-2007, 02:50 PM   #138  

Height: 5'1"

Just popping in quickly again to say hi. Craftyone, I just left an invitation on your introduction page to join us here. How nice to see you already found us. I know you will enjoy it, the gals are great!

Hey, have you watched the Womens Murder Club on TV yet? It's fairly new, I think maybe a couple of weeks. I love those books too. But I read everything. Murder mysteries are favorites.

By again, Freda
Old 11-16-2007, 03:58 PM   #139  
Debbie

S/C/G: 296/218/160

Height: 5'3"

Thanks, Trish!! A musician!! How great is that?? My son is a pianist. He started as our church pianist at 16, and played for 10 yrs. He goes to another church now and plays on Sunday mornings for the senior Sunday school classes. He's really an artist. You hear so many who are great at playing the notes on the page, but when he plays, you hear him pray. It's lovely!

I love WW online. It's just so easy and cheap! Only about $15/mo for 24/7 access, and I'm pretty good about logging my foodies and weighing in every Monday. It's a good thing, too, since I don't drive and couldn't go to meetings anyway, right??

I've planned my Thanksgiving meal around my WW recipes. I use them every year, and nobody knows they're WW. Some I made up myself and ran through the points calculator, then tweaked them to come out at lower point totals.

Freda - thanks for the welcome. I have watched that show, and I like it very much. I don't think the acting is all that great, but the story lines are pretty good. And I HATE to read!! I blame it on my mother. She read me to sleep every night as a child, so now I pick up a book and I'm falling asleep within 5 min. - yawning, eyes watering - the whole bit!!

Karen - I did it with WW. And there was something else. I'd been gaining weight inexplicably for years eventhough I wasn't overeating; and I couldn't stay awake all day. I kept going to drs, and all they said was eat less and exercise more. They didn't believe me when I said I wasn't overeating. It was awful. I finally gave up and just quit pursuing a cause. I was just waiting to die. Then my kids practically kidnapped me and took me to another dr. At the first visit, he took one look at me and ordered a sleep study. I had sleep apnea so bad - one of the worst he'd ever seen. Obesity is the main cause, but I also had a brain component. When I stopped breathing in my sleep, my brain didn't kick in to start the lungs. I got on a BiPAP at night, started staying awake all day, and just generally moving. And, along with WW, the weight started coming off. I did that 80 lbs in about 1-1/2 yrs, but now it's at a crawl. I need to step up the activity. I also just got off some pain meds that had slowed my metabolism so much that I gained a lb on 1500 cal/day. I hear you on the diabetes meds. I don't have it, but my husband does, and it's tough.

Thanks, you guys, for welcoming me. I really, really appreciate it.

Have a great day - Debbie
Old 11-16-2007, 04:29 PM   #140  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile Since I turned 50

The best thing that has happened to me since I turned 50 is that I married my sweetheart, Paul, when I was 49!

The next best thing is that I stopped trying hard to please every one else and began starting pleasing myself.

The next next best thing is that I have a greater appreciation for the little things in life.

The last best thing is that I have forgiven a lot of people who I should have forgiven long long ago. Life is just too short to hang on to old grievances.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:59 AM   #141  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Good Morning Everyone,

I never got to the park yesterday. I am having a TERRIBLE time making myself exercise. I got out of the habit while I was having the tooth problem in October & I have not been able to get myself going again.

Zoe, I think I caught this from you!

OK, everyone, I need help. How do you make yourself exercise when you don't want to?

Lynn
Old 11-17-2007, 11:50 AM   #142  

S/C/G: 237/238/165

Height: 5 feet 7

Good morning, GG!!

I've got sooo much to do and soo little time to do it.

I'm getting ready to attend a choir rehearsal. I'm substituting for their regular musician...So the stress level will be up a bit. I wish I was better at taking things in stride.

I've got to make sure that that rehearsal ends promptly. The Ohio State vs. Michigan game starts at noon.

Let's see I probably need to go to the grocery sometime today and laundry could also use my assistance. But.....we'll see!!

Lynn Maybe if you mix the type of excercise, you'll do better. At the gym, I'm alternating between upper body and lower body weights, while working on the dredded core. This past week, I haven't been to the gym. But I have also walked daily...When I was in Vegas, we walked the strip BEFORE breakfast. The other thing to point out is that we all get in slumps...don't give up, just ride the wave!

Now can you help me with my over eating... I love food! I need to get to 1300 caleries per day but I'm adveraging 1600. HELP!

TTFN,

TRISH
Old 11-17-2007, 12:20 PM   #143  
Debbie

Man, Lynn! I struggle with this, too. I keep thinking if I could just understand why I hate it so much and why I can't make myself do it, then maybe I could get on with it. So, I hate it cause I don't enjoy it. So how can I make it more enjoyable. I use a treadmill. My son got me this mp3 player about the size of a silver dollar and some great headphones. He loaded my ABBA cds on it. OK, I like that.

Then I got this small tv/vcr combo to put there, and I have special videos that I only allow myself to watch when I'm on the 'mill. It's a carrot and stick approach.

Then I had to pick a "good" time. I have absolutely no excuses there cause I stay at home, but still, I didn't want to. Now I have pledged to exercise during the 11:00am local news. I can watch it on my tv.

I don't have any trouble doing the laundry, scrubbing the toilet or any other despicable thing that has to be done. I can make myself do that. But exercising?? Nobody goes without clean laundry if I don't do it. Nobody has to endure a filthy bathroom if I don't do it. Nobody goes without food if I don't do it. So it's just harder to make myself get on that thing. And I really like the feeling of accomplishment when I hit that 3mph and stay there. So it just really comes down to this - I'd rather scrub a toilet.....
Old 11-17-2007, 01:02 PM   #144  

Good Morning all, I'm setting here feeling sorry for myself, having a great pity party. all invited! Today was the day we were supposed to go to my grandson football payoffs. I woke up with a headache that just got worse. We started to go and before we even got a mile away I started throwing up. A migraine!!!!!Why today!!!! I took some medication and a few hours later I feel better, but I am missing something important. And it's an hour away, and Ron took my car and left his truck, which i hate to drive. The game is being played somewhere I'm not familuar with, so I'm not going to chance driving there. Oh well, Hopefully they will win today and play again tomorrow and I can make that one. Enough of the pity party.

I have to agree with crafty one about the exercise. If you don't enjoy it, find a reason to do it (while you watch your favorite tv show) and a time that you know you can make it. Then, you don't watch that show unless you are on the treadmill. Miss a few of the favorite shows and you'll find your self on the treadmill. I would say find something you loved doing, but you probably have already explored that. Some people will never like exercise. It's one of those things you just have to make yourself do.

Craftyone, by the way, would you mind giving a name? If you still feel uncomfortable with that, that's fine too.

Karen you just reminded me that I have to get a check up with all the yucky stuff too (manogram, pap, bone denesity, the works).

Trish, sounds like you have a busy weekend. Not too much time to eat? Which is a good thing. But sometimes it means grabbing any thing you can get. Remember to make wise choices. And especially for that football game. I know I tend to eat more the more exciting the game is. Put out some healthy snacks for you.

Pam, i don't think i've met you. Hi. You are lucky to have married your sweetheart at any age. Better late than never. And we do get wiser with age, at least most of the time. Forgiving others is really a release for us. By not forgiving just keeps it alive in our minds and hurts us too. Forgiveness doesn't mean we have to forget, we just have to get past it.

Everyone have a good weekend, Freda
Old 11-17-2007, 03:45 PM   #145  
Debbie

Hi Freda~~ I thought I gave my name, but my mind slides ~~~ It's Debbie. Glad to know you!!

I'm so sorry about the migraine. My husband suffered from those something awful until his neurologist put him on a preventative program. He takes Topamax every day now - 100mg. I can't remember if the med is an anti-seizure, or an anti-depressant, but it's therapeutic for one of those in much higher doses. At 100mg/day, he hasn't had a single migraine. He also takes a muscle relaxer cause most of his started in his neck. He keeps Imitrex (pill and nasal spray) just in case, but usually we end up donating it just before it expires and replenishing his supply. He doesn't like to take the Imitrex cause it makes his legs weak and drags him down. Fortunately he almost never needs to take it.

Trish, you probably already do this kind of thing, but just in case - I use the Nature's Own light bread. 2 slices equals 1 regular. I buy the 96% ground beef when I'm using it in some kind of sauce like spaghetti. 6 dried apricot halves are a low cal, sweet afternoon treat, and they're chewy, so they take awhile to eat. Do you already use the 100 cal packs of chips, etc.?? Miracle Whip is fewer cals than mayo. Do you eat oatmeal?? You can make your own and save a bunch of calories over the instant stuff. I use 1/3c oats; add 1/8t salt, 2 pkg Splenda and cinnamon to taste.(you could also use apple pie spice, nutmeg, etc.) Add 3/4c water and micro on high for 2 min. Then add 1/4c SF maple syrup and a good splash of evaporated skim milk. It makes a really big bowl - lots more than 1 pkg of the instant for the same calories. And you can add diced dried fruit or nuts before cooking if you want to. I have it for breakfast and sometimes for a snack cause it's very filling.

And really, can't we all use more fiber????

If your migraines are frequent, you might ask your dr about it, if you haven't already tried it.

Last edited by Craftyone; 11-17-2007 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:50 PM   #146  
Onward and Downward

Hi there everybody . . .

Beautiful sunny but cold and windy day . . . got gobs and gobs of shopping accomplished and the Christmas list is finally beginning to shape-up (maybe that should be shape-down) to something doable now. Of course -- I hve spent too much money as usual.

Lunch was great, too, and I didn't end up getting sick today. Of course, there was too much lunch, but that's another one of those problems at this time of year -- at least for me.

Exercise; exercise wht's that? Oh yeah one of those things we are supposed to be doing with regularity. Well -- today, the four hours of mall crawling will have to do. Other than that, I've decided I must force myself to get on good old 'zella early in the morning. Then it will be done; instead of looming over me all day long like a banshee, screaming my name.

Anyway, hope everybody has a great evening . . . see you again soon, gang . . .
Old 11-17-2007, 06:32 PM   #147  

Hello everyone,

I tried to post yesterday. But, my computer hiccupped and for some reason the letter "e" had a mind of its own. It was as if the "e" key was stuck. I had an awful time trying to get it to stop, but eventually I did. Needless to say I lost the post and just wasn't up to starting another one.

It has been awfully cold in the mornings here these past couple of days. Yesterday it ws 48° when we went for our walk and it was around 47°this morning.

Karen, good luck with your tests. I had a bone density test done and I've got osteoperosis (sp?) in my spine. I have to take a calcium supplement twice a day. How did you get the UG weather thing-y in your signature? I tried and tried to get one into my signature a while back but it would never take. I was thinking I was doing something wrong.

Debbie, I'm glad you joined us. This is a great group of people, very supportive and friendly. I am looking forward to getting to know you. You asked about motivation when you'd rather not exercise. I have a friend who I walk with 5 days a week. We motivate each other to continue. We both have mentioned that if we didn't have someone to walk with we probably wouldn't have stuck with it for so long. We will have been at it 1 yr. on Jan. 2nd and we've hardly missed a day. If we do miss a day, we make up for it on Sat. One of the perks is you get to have a great gab session.

Freda, sorry you had to miss your grandson's football playoffs. I've got my fingers crossed that you'll be able to see him tomorrow. I've read just about all of James Patterson's books. I've read the whole Women's Murder Club series and I watch the show on TV. The only book I didn't care for was his newest Cross book. I love to read about Alex Cross, but for some reason I had a hard time getting into the lastest book. I am looking forward to reading Double Cross.

Linda-meowee, sorry you got sick after eating lunch the other day. Glad that you're feeling better. I think it was warmer up your way yesterday morning than it was here.

A big and to the GOLDEN GIRLS I missed.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.
BFN, Ali

Last edited by aleka; 11-17-2007 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:19 PM   #148  
Debbie

If you like Women's Murder Club, I bet you'll like that series on Oxygen called "Snapped". It's all about women who kill. They do a really good job of presenting each story in 30 min segments. Oxygen often runs episodes back to back in the afternoons.

Wow, Aleka! That is cold for Florida!! Get prepared cause another one is coming your way. We had temps like that yesterday morning, so if that front holds together, you should get it by tomorrow morning!!

The day after Thanksgiving, we're looking for our coldest temps so far this season - maybe upper 30s. I know those of you up north will think we're wimps about temps like these!! And you'd be right!! I am a wimp!! I hate our heat and humidity, but I don't like 30s and 40s either!!

Last edited by Craftyone; 11-17-2007 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:41 PM   #149  
Lifetime Loser

Hi everyone,

We're back from our mini vacation in Key West. We had a great ocean view and the weather was perfect in the low 80's. The day we left it dropped into the 60's.....perfect timing.

Hopefully some of the pictures will turn out and I'll post a few when we get them put on a disk.

It has been cool here yesterday and today but should be 80 tomorrow.

Hope everyone is doing well on their food plan, I ate a LOT of FISH so hopefully I didn't do much damage, I'll wait a couple days to weigh in.

Phyllis
Old 11-18-2007, 08:33 AM   #150  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning Everybody . . .

Another nice sunny day . . . think I just might continue the shopping (I did miss going to one major mall yesterday ) . . . should be doing some (gasp) laundry . . . but that is simply not what I'm in the mood for . . . hey, I'm on a Christmas Shopping Roll right now.

Glad to have you back PHYLLIS . . . we will be looking forward to seeing those pictures.

The older I get, the less tolerant I become of temperature changes, DEBBIE. Must admit, though, that I would rather have cold, dry, and sunny than hot and humid any day (good thing, considering where I live) -- you can always put on enough clothing to stay warm, but once you are down to skin, there's nothing else you can take off if you're still too hot.

Good luck with your sticky "E", ALI . . . it was pretty warm for a couple of days but we are now back to 'normal' and expecting a couple of inches of snow overnight.

Well gang . . . hope everybody has a great day . . . better get myself moving and shaking . . .
Closed Thread