Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 12:50 PM   #76  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Good morning! Not too hot in the house here--but we Floridians are acclimated to warmer temps. So, when it's 74 inside we think we're a little chilly.

How are folks doing midweek?

I have a meeting of our local chapter of the Fla. Native Plant Society tonight. The program is going to be on good bugs and bad bugs in the garden--should be informative.

Jay
Old 11-07-2007, 01:40 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I just got back from my walk. 2.53 miles. It is so warm out that I wore shorts and a sleeveless blouse.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:52 PM   #78  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

All in what you are used to . . . I find 74 in the house a little on the warm side . . . at least at this time of year. I'm most comfy at 68 to 70.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:33 PM   #79  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

LOL, make that singing a trio - I can't carry a tune to save my life. I have two hearing aids (born hearing impaired). I actually learned sign language so that I could sing. Even my DH politely asks me to stop when I use my voice

All this talk of warmth and sun - we still have snow on the ground and nasty winds. UGH!

Good day today though, got in weights and a Dance of the Inches DVD workout in between work and church.

Happy hump day to all
Old 11-08-2007, 03:19 PM   #80  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile Has Anyone Here Seen the Movie "Super Size Me?"

I have had this documentary on request for ten months and I finally got it in my possession. I watched it last night for the first time. I will never eat at McDonald's ever again. Wendy's, which I both used to work at thirty years ago and which I still love, was also mentioned ---among the other big names as well.

I am going to watch the movie again and I want my DH to see it. For example, there is even sugar in their yogurt parfaits and salads! yikes!
And, the chicken mcnuggets are from chickens who have abnormally large breasts. Yikes again! I could go on and on but it just reinforces what so many of the other experts have been saying---the American fast food diet is what has caused the epidemic of obesity in this country.

Watch only if you want to be stunned and remotivated.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:40 PM   #81  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Thanks for the tip, Pamatga! I've been wanting to see this for awhile...

Has anyone else seen it? What did you think?

Jay
Old 11-08-2007, 03:45 PM   #82  

Is this on DVD, VHS rental, from the library or video store? Don't forget we all need to read The Omnivore's Dilemma. After Supersize Me, and the book, we will have trouble eating anything. One way to lose weight.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:16 PM   #83  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

You know, I browsed through The Omnivore's Dilemma, but I didn't feel that I personally needed to read it. I already know a lot of what he presents, being a biologist. And he seems sometimes to be making a big deal where there isn't anything really very big... Also, he seems to like the sound of his own voice a lot...

Jay
Old 11-08-2007, 07:37 PM   #84  

It is hard to know, sometimes, if something is really a big deal or not. Certainly, there are things I don't agree with in the book, but I still found it thought provoking and worth reading.

I know what you mean about his liking the sound of his own voice.

We did some more wiring today. It was hot and I am bushed.

So far, today, my eating has been perfect. I am getting pretty hungry, though.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:35 PM   #85  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Talking The Omnivore's voice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Also, he seems to like the sound of his own voice a lot...

You captured it.

I liked the book, just wish it was a short magazine article instead.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:47 AM   #86  
Onward and Downward

Hi gang . . .

I was missing yesterday . . . it turned into a very busy (but fun day) . . . and I'm back up to six cats again . . .absolutely no willpower at the SPCA, I'm telling you. New addition is white (with a couple of little grey spots on his head), about 10 months old, and I've named him Blizzard. Will post some pictures as soon as I get a chance.

I definitely agree that he does like the sound of his own wisdom, but I definitely enjoyed the book anyway. Haven't read the Supersize Me or seen the film. Not sure I even want that scare.

Have a great day moving and shaking your way to better halth and fitness, gang . . .
Old 11-09-2007, 08:39 PM   #87  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

meowee - can't wait to see the pictures! The vet wants us to put our cat on a "diet". She is up to 10 lbs now. She is amazingly active and an excellent hunter. She is always bringing critters home. I'm thinking that she will lose weight just because she won't be catching her own food through the winter!

The weather is still cold and windy here. My exercise has been all indoors this week. I have cabin fever already, and it is only November!

Hope everyone has a fun and active weekend!
Old 11-09-2007, 10:45 PM   #88  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Wow, I must like the sound of Michael Pollan's own wisdom too. I think it's an amazingly great book! This dude can WRITE!
Old 11-10-2007, 12:33 AM   #89  

I read somewhere that he never expected the book to be a best seller. And I guess when an individual relates his personal experiences, he is bound to sound somewhat self absorbed, even if his ideas are outstanding.

We just got back from a Costco/Trader Joe's run. At Costco,I bought tires for my car ($$$) and 12 heads of lettuce, among other things. What was I thinking? I have to keep it in coolers. At TJs I got Lite Chevre (goat cheese) and a tub of fat-free, no wierd ingredient, Meringue cookies. Yummo. Someone on here recommended TJs frozen shrimp and scallops, so I got some to try, and some veggie sausage patties.

I walked my feet off. I wish I had worn my pedometer. I think I did pretty well with my food, too. At Costco, I used to get the Hebrew National sausage and drink for $1.50. Last time I discovered their chicken cesar salad. Because I planned on it for today, I brought my own salad dressing in my purse, and had a perfect meal. I had three bites of their free food before I remembered I wasn't supposed to - at least not just because it is there.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:22 AM   #90  
Onward and Downward

Hi all . . .

I slept in this morning . . . so now I'm running late again . . . Just decided to post a couple of pictures of the new addition to the feline collection before I go out and about . . . See you guys later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blizzard2.jpg (26.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg blizzard1.jpg (19.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Mouse & Blizzard.jpg (33.3 KB, 5 views)
Closed Thread