3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Age 50+ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50-217/)
-   -   Active Folks Over Fifty -- #2 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50/124722-active-folks-over-fifty-2-a.html)

gailr42 10-17-2007 07:12 PM

Plus, think of all the dishes you would NOT have to wash!:lol:

I have been messing around with the free version of fit-day. It is pretty interesting. It gives so much information - for instance, I can see that I am not getting enough calcium, and I can see where I could make some changes and get more.

JayEll 10-18-2007 09:30 AM

Yes, FitDay opened my eyes to that! I'm not getting the RDA, even though I drink milk and eat other dairy products. Now I take a calcium/magnesium supplement to push up my numbers.

Jay

meowee 10-18-2007 10:05 AM

Good Morning . . . :wave:

Yep . . . I take the calcium/magnesium supplement too. BTW, on my agenda for today is getting my annual FLU SHOT . . . particularly recdommended for those of us with any kind of chronic disease that tends to compromise the immune system (like my Diabetes) . . . how about the rest of you?????

See you later . . . keep things moving and shaking . . . :carrot:

JayEll 10-18-2007 10:43 AM

I don't believe in flu shots. :)

Jay

BillBlueEyes 10-18-2007 10:57 AM

Chronic disease

meowee - particularly recommended for those of us with any kind of chronic disease

I'm to get a flu shot due to my chronic disease called: Over 50 :(

XXXXXXX 7 XX||||| 14 ||||||| 21 ||||||| 28 ||||||| 35 ||||||| 42
Completed Beck Program-day 9. 33 to go. Keep going!

Spinymouse 10-18-2007 11:33 AM

I'm not sure what I think about flu shots. Gosh, it just occured to me that it is probably one of about 5 things in the whole world that I don't have a strong opinion about! I have the opposite of a weak immune system. Mine overreacts (lots of autoimmune things) and needs to be squelched. Isn't it interesting how different we all are? I never had a bad reaction to a flu shot though.
I take supplements for bones (calcium, magnesium, vitamin D).

Spinymouse 10-18-2007 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meowee (Post 1896251)
I would really like to see some kind of nutrition pill that I could have and never have to eat again.

I agree completely.

gailr42 10-18-2007 01:01 PM

I have mixed feelings about flu shots...sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't. I guess you could say that flu shots are also on my very short list of things about which I have no strong opinion. :lol:

I have been looking at fitday and the food pyramid site this morning. First of all, it looks like I am going to have to cut about 350 calories off my daily intake. I don't know if I can do that. Secondly, I don't see how I can possibly get all the required nutrients into a 1400 calorie day. Even at about 1700, I am not getting everything.

The good news: everything I ate yesterday was nutritional - absolutely no junk. My food was roughly divided into 20% fat, 55% carb, 25% protein. This is just the way it came out - I wasn't aiming for any particular distribution.

It is easy to take a vitamin/calcium supplement, so I will do that. Need to keep working on the exercise. I am doing it, but not enough. Need to eat less:(.

meowee 10-19-2007 12:25 PM

Hi gang . . . it's afternoon already . . . I'm on the run today . . . see you later. :wave:

JayEll 10-19-2007 01:17 PM

Hey meowee!

What's shakin' today? Time sure flies by...

I'm doing lots of household repair/maintenance stuff on the new house. so far I've patched the wallpaper where the old, defunct doorbell used to be, cut a square of outdoor carpet to patch the steps where I took out a railing, and helped hang a picture. Now it's time to cut down some kitchen towel bars that are just a bit too wide for the cupboard doors under the sink...

I'm happy to report that my weight is moving right along... but I've got Thai food scheduled later today. :o I'm hoping I can show some restraint!

Jay

Spinymouse 10-19-2007 01:31 PM

Thai food is a good thing!
Check out Fiddler's post from a couple days ago on the IE thread.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...114875&page=15
and have a great time!

gailr42 10-19-2007 02:52 PM

I'm sure Thai food is great made the way they make it. Let's hope the way we make it doesn't mess it up, nutritonally speaking.

JayEll, didn't I see that you are in the 140's now? Congratulations! I am too, today. Who knows about tomorrow.

I am really enjoying fitday. I knew I was eating well, but it is fun to see two days (so far) of absolutely no junk passing my lips. I've been doing this for a while without even noticing. Now I need to have just a little bit less food pass my lips. :lol:

gailr42 10-19-2007 05:53 PM

I just got back from my walk. 5303 aerobic steps, 2 miles, 47 minutes. I didn't have to work today, so it was a lot easier to get myself going.

gailr42 10-19-2007 06:49 PM

While I was walking, my breadmaker was making a loaf of 100% whole wheat bread. I don't really like it as much as the Orowheat bread that I buy, but I know what's in it. I ate one normal sized piece (really :lol:), hot out of the oven with nothing on it. It appears that the recipe Fitday uses has more fat and sugar than my recipe does, but it is close enough.

JayEll 10-19-2007 08:22 PM

Ooooo! :drool: I don't think I would dare make bread... Congratulations on your 2 mile walk, gailr42! And yes! We are both in the 140s! :cheer2:

Thanks for that link to the Thai food information, Spinymouse. Let me just say two little words... coconut milk. :yikes: I love it, I adore it, I can't get enough of it, and it is totally high calorie. So... my Thai dinner wasn't like Fiddler's, sad to say... But it wasn't the worst. I didn't eat more than a half cup of rice, so that's something, and I only ate half of the entree (green curry w/ chicken) and took leftovers home. Let's just say that dessert was involved... 'nuff said... My nutrition percentages came out pretty bad, but I broke even with my calories.

G'night!

Jay

gailr42 10-19-2007 10:40 PM

I bought some light coconut milk for some recipe. Now I can't find the recipe. Have you ever tried it, Jay? Your meal sounds wonderful. Isn't that what it is all about - enjoying life? Especially if the calories even out.

My walk turns out to be three times around our property, then out our driveway and up a dirt road for a while. This equals two miles. There is a lot of up and down, none of it is on a smooth, hard surface. There are lots of sandy areas and rocky areas. The closest description to it on Fitday seems to me to be cross country hiking, but I am not sure what that means. I put that down for my activity, but I don't want to cheat. It seems pretty strenuous to me. Any opinions?

Spinymouse 10-19-2007 11:04 PM

The point that rang most true for me about the Thai food info, was the part about (paraphrasing) you get a lot more taste for your forkful with Thai food than with the typical boring American food. I can relate to that!
A couple of forkfuls of very flavorful food leaves me feeling very satisfied.

JayEll 10-20-2007 07:15 AM

Good morning everyone!

Gail, I think cross country hiking is the correct choice for what you're doing--but how long does your 2 mile walk take you? If the calories expended seems to high, you could always choose walking and just set it for a higher speed to make up for the uneven terrain.

Spinymouse--yes, the flavor is fantastic! One of the things I've learned is that a taste of something is as satisfying as eating a lot of it. I couldn't have done that when I first began losing weight--bad habits--but it came with time. So, my decisions at the restaurant were all by choice, and I don't regret it!

Afterwards there was a street fair in town, so we went and walked around for an hour. It was nice--lots of folks with their children, dogs on leashes (thank goodness), and live music.

What's up for the weekend?

Jay

meowee 10-20-2007 09:03 AM

Good Morning . . .

It's pouring rain this morning; but it is fairly warm. I'd be happier with sun even if it was a lot cooler. :( Got up to a TP covered bathroom again this morning. I'm pretty sure the culprit is Freckle, but don't really know for sure.

Nothing exciting for my weekend. May start playing around with the new quilt project and will definitely spend a bunch of time with Gadzella. I moved Tramp from the SunRoom to the LivingRoom this morning . . . the first stop on his probable trip to the garage.:o Funny, at the beginning I thought I would love the Rebounder and be so-so about the Gazelle; but it has definitely turned out the other way around.

I still haven't gotten the hang of being satisfied with a couple of bites of anything. For the things I really, really :love: -- like chocolate and peanut butter and ice cream -- a couple of bites always leads to a couple more, and so on, and so on. Until I learn a little more self-control, I'm better off not having them in the house. I'm a little better when I can get them in portion-controlled sizes -- has anybody come across those little one portion packets of PB (like the restaurants give you) in the stores?

Have a great moving and shaking Saturday . . . see you all later . . . :carrot:

gailr42 10-20-2007 10:26 AM

The main things that I have trouble controlling are cheese and peanut butter and sometimes cheap cookies. I keep the cheese in the freezer - I divide it into portion sizes and use it very sparingly. It is pretty hard to eat frozen.

I got three little cups of Ben and Jerry ice cream. They have 220 calories apiece and I think about 3.6 ounces per serving. I am not an ice cream addict and when I have it I want the good stuff, so I am thinking this might work for a treat. I almost had one last night, but decided I didn't want to spend all the calories I burned walking on a treat. Also, I would have had to put it in Fitday. Too much effort:lol:.

My two mile walk takes me 47 minutes, pretty consistently. According to Fitday, I burn 210 calories. According to my pedometer I burn 167, but the pedometer doesn't consider the terrain. years ago, I used to be able to walk a mile in 15 minutes, but this was on a firm, level surface. What I am doing now is very different. I would be so inspired if I could burn 200 calories in less than an hour. 200 calories is enough to make the difference between feeling fine and being hungry, from the maintenance point of view.

Glad you are enjoying the company of Gadzella, Meowee!

I like to listen to books on tape when I am driving. I am thinking that I could do that and use my mini-stair-stepper or some other piece of exercise equipment.

My first experience with Thai food was in Seattle. We had Thai neighbors who owned a food conssion at the world fair venue. She had two toddlers as did I and we used to visit and she made us food from time to time. I had never had cilantro before, but came to enjoy it. I don't specifically remember anything about coconut milk. This was 35 years ago!

gailr42 10-20-2007 10:14 PM

Just being accountable here. I didn't do any exercise I could enter in Fitday, but I spent all afternoon helping DH move rail-road ties and rebuild a sort of retaining wall thing in our yard. Those RR ties are mega-heavy and big. I'm beat.

Also, I made myself a cute little low-cal desert. I cut 12 grapes in half. Then I applied 1Tbs of light sour cream(15 cal.). ON top of the sour cream I grated with the microplane grater about 1/2 square(12 calories) of Trader Joe chocolate. I put one marischino cherry(ten calories) on top. I put it in a little sauce dish. I was surprised that I could actually taste the chocolate and something about the grapes with sour cream is really decadent.

I also discovered that I have been overcharging myself for turkey meatloaf:lol:. My precut frozen pieces look like much more than a deck of cards, but today I weighed one and it is only three ounces. My slices are long and thin. I guess it is like someone was talking about the shape of a glass influences how much we think we are getting.

maryblu 10-20-2007 10:52 PM

Chickies. all! Hi. I enjoyed reading all the posts and catching up...you all have a lot of interesting things to chat about. Gail, what an amazing imagination you have......grapes and sour cream, who wudda thunk it?

Had an AMAZING day....14,000 steps of sheer fun....gardening, just buttoning down for winter, but it is still so beautiful out.....no killing frost yet....we are more than 3 weeks over the record for frost-free days......if global warming weren't so real and so SCARY, I could be just grateful and not so worried. Still getting Wood Ticks off the dog........they are gone the first of July....never beyond July 15....NEVER! This must be a second hatch..things are really weird.

The frogs haven't gone to the lake yet..they are still hanging out in the garden...weird.

It is supposed to be just like this tomorrow....so going for 15,000 fun-filled steps..

Will let you know!

JayEll 10-21-2007 07:35 AM

Hey maryblu! Good to see you again. Good luck with your many thousand steps!

The weather really has been strange, hasn't it?

Yesterday it was a little bit cooler here (Fla.) and overcast--which was good because I had to work outside. I was putting up vinyl lattice panels on our screen porch, and it involved using a saber saw, a power drill, and going up and down the ladder, etc. Whew! FitDay says I burned a whole bunch of calories, but I don't trust FitDay's burn numbers sometimes. They can lead me astray... So I try to keep my calories eaten within bounds.

Jay

chopingirl 10-21-2007 09:33 AM

Good morning, all of you 50+! :hug:I am relatively knew to the 3fatchicks community and decided to drop in and ask all of you some questions.

I have been walking 30 minutes a day for about two weeks now, and I am finding that my knees are REALLY hurting (on the insides where I thought there was only fat residing!) I make sure that I stretch before and after, but it's not really helping. Does using an ace bandage around my knees help, because I don't want to give up my walking program.

Also, I have been looking on ebay at ellipticals and find that there are about a jillion different kinds (maybe a slight exaggeration.) Do any of you have one, and how cheap can I go and still get a really good one for my home?

Thanks for your help, and happy Sunday!:)

JayEll 10-21-2007 10:23 AM

Hey chopingirl, :wel3fc:

The first thing I'd ask is, how old are your shoes? Are they good quality athletic shoes and less than 6 months old? Having worn-out shoes is one thing that can make your knees hurt--even if you aren't overweight and even if you're relatively young. I know this from personal experience.

Also, once you get good shoes, you could take a day off walking every three or four days--and see if your knees improve.

Use ice packs on your knees after your walk for about 20 minutes--that may help, too. But I'd start with the shoe question.

I walk almost every day, too--and I'm due for a new pair.

Jay

chopingirl 10-21-2007 10:33 AM

I just KNEW that this was the place to come and ask my question!!:hug: Nope, my tennis shoes are about three years old. They still have soles on them, so I assumed they were still good. ;) Seriously, I never even thought about the issue of having old tennis shoes. I'll also try the ice packs - perfect advice!

Thank you so much for the help, JayE!! :bravo:

meowee 10-21-2007 11:37 AM

Good Morning everybody . . .

We have sunshine :yay: but with enough wind to blow small children away. :lol:

Nothing more active for me today than spending some time with 'Zella.

gailr42 10-21-2007 06:13 PM

Today when I walked, I wore my light-weight hiking shoes. They are quite a bit more comfortable than my athletic shoes. They are a few years old, but haven't been worn very much, so maybe they will be ok. I see some similar to what I already have in the LLBean catalog. They are New Balance. I would sort of like a pair even if I don't really need them :lol:.

meowee 10-22-2007 08:32 AM

Good Morning . . . :wave:

Another beautiful day -- :sunny: and the wind has calmed down -- Hope to get out there to play in a little while.

See you later, gang . . . Keep things moving and shaking . . . :carrot:

JayEll 10-22-2007 09:23 AM

Morning! Gail, I hope you go ahead and get yourself those shoes if you want them! :)

I finished putting up vinyl lattice as a privacy screen on our screen porch. This was a job that involved a saber saw, a power drill, self-tapping screws and a ladder. It took all weekend! Originally I had hired a handyman to do this--and he got partway through but then disappeared. So--I finished it. It's one of those things that takes so much time that I'd really rather hire it out, but what are ya gonna do when the help takes off?

I hope to stick with desk work and the fitness center this week...

Jay

chopingirl 10-22-2007 09:50 AM

Good morning from FINALLY cooler East Texas!

JayE - I don't expect you to endorse any particular kind of shoes, but I read somewhere that not all athletic shoes are created equal. Can I buy a shoe made specifically for running if I am just walking for now? I am going to start jogging/walking/jogging/walking for a mix-it-up kind of workout and am not sure what kind of shoe to get that will be good.

Am I on the right track?:running:

gailr42 10-22-2007 10:50 AM

What is it with those disappearing handymen, anyway? But don't you have a sense of accomplishment when you complete the job? My friends are always surprised that I do as much of that kind of thing as I do. I guess it is part of the "girls (well, maybe I should say old ladies, at this point), don't do that kind of stuff" attitude. DH doesn't have the patience for small, fiddly jobs, so I do it.

I ate a hunk of chocolate last night. DH left a partially eaten candy bar, unwrapped, right at my eye level in the fridge. I ate it. :lol: I will have to add that to yesterday's food. I already asked him once to move or eat the candy bars. I don't have too much trouble with it as long as the package isn't open, but when it is open, look out.

I think I am beginning to see some results of doing tummy exercises. I haven't lost any weight since I started walking, and the last three days, I have cut back on the food, candy bars notwithstanding. I am sure if I can keep it up, the scale will move.

JayEll 10-22-2007 10:56 AM

Hey! I am no expert on shoes... And different people have different feet! For example, I've never been able to wear Nike shoes--there is something about the arch in them that doesn't work with my feet. I wear Adidas--they seem to work best. I used to wear Reebok, but I think Adidas bought them out.

Adidas makes a number of good women's athletic shoes. I wear the running shoes even though I'm mostly walking--and I get the "cushioned" version (e.g., Supernova cushioned, Response cushioned). But you can also get shoes made just for walking.

The thing to do is to find an athletic shoe store in your area--and try some on. Any shoe that hurts right away is a reject. With some, you may not know whether they'll work until you've worn them a bit, so try them on and walk around in them for ten minutes or so in the store. Be sure to try on both shoes of a pair.

Good luck in your search!

Jay

chopingirl 10-22-2007 08:22 PM

JayEll - Okay, thanks for the advice. I was just making sure that "running" shoes are okay for "walking." I'm new at this fitness stuff - sorry to say!

Thanks again!:D

meowee 10-23-2007 08:35 AM

:wave:

JayEll 10-23-2007 09:54 AM

Hey! Good morning meowee!

Someone kick me and get me to the fitness center, OK? Jeez!

Jay

Spinymouse 10-23-2007 11:51 AM

Kathy, I don't know if you have one of these sporting clothes stores in your area, but there are some that will custom fit you for shoes based on how you walk, run, the angle of your feet, whether you wear your shoes down on one side, etc, and they have treadmills where they watch how you move and fit you accordingly. I think that would be the best you can do, and I think the custom fitted shoes run about $80.
I haven't done that, but I have had really good luck with Saucony brand running shoes because they have some kind of thing in the heel part that prevents them from wearing down on the outside which is a quirk that my feet like to do to most other shoes. Oh, and I don't actually run, but the running shoes seem to be just fine for whatever else I do.

meowee 10-23-2007 12:09 PM

Oh phooey . . . Sorry to be the bearer of bad news . . . but it just never seems to stop . . . here's an article I just found in my e:mail in-box about the latest "invention" in the bad-for-us world of tampered-with fats . . . http://www.dlife.com/dLife/do/ShowCo...fake_fats.html . . . it's from D:Life but obviously applicable to more than just those of us with Diabetes.

gailr42 10-23-2007 01:12 PM

Yikes! "They" are trying to kill us! Thanks for sharing the article, Meowee. Since I am trying to eat as simply and homemade as possible, I guess this isn't a problem, but DH eats all kinds of junk that is probably full of it. Interesterified - what a wonderful weird word - (makes me think about a curious 'fraidy' cat).

pamatga 10-23-2007 04:22 PM

Hello, I am new to both 3fatchicks and this group. I am 54, dieting for the LAST time, I do have conditions and so on (but you will never know!----according to JayEll) and I don't mind being this age at all or the fact that I have more than 100 lbs to lose.

I am happy to be alive and I wish you all well.

:hug: