3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Age 50+ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50-217/)
-   -   Favourite Recipes (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50/117164-favourite-recipes.html)

CountingDown 02-24-2008 04:28 PM

Spinach Marinara Sauce - Slow Cooker Recipe

INGREDIENTS

* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 1 onion, chopped
* 5 cloves garlic, minced
* 1/3 cup grated carrot
* 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
* 2 2/3 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
* 1 (4.5 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
* 2 tsp salt
* 2 tsp dried oregano
* 2 tsp dried basil
* 2 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
* 2 bay leaves
* 1 (28 ounce) can peeled and crushed tomatoes, with liquid

1. In a 5 quart slow cooker, combine olive oil, onion, garlic, carrot, spinach, tomato paste, mushrooms, salt, oregano, basil, crushed red pepper, bay leaves and tomatoes.
2. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours. Stir, reduce heat to low and cook for 1 to 2 hours more.

NOTE: I actually like this better when I sauté the onion and garlic in some of olive oil and then add them to the crock pot.

You can reduce the calories further by reducing the amount of oil.

Servings: 8
Calories: 174

mohmama3 02-26-2008 04:13 PM

I call this soup "Everything but the Kitchen Sink". I love it and it is great for a diet, especially if you are on a low sodium diet.

Actually, it is Chicken and vegetable Soup

I boil as many chicken breasts (remove the skin and fat) as I plan on adding to the soup and use for sandwiches in a large pot. Usually do 3 at a time. Once the chicken is cooked I fish them out and chunk as much as I want in my soup. I add a small package of fresh mushrooms and 3 packages of sodium free chicken boullion (I use Herb Ox). (you will probably want to add salt, I don't) and Mrs. Grass Extra Spicy spice to taste. I add every vegetable I have available fresh or frozen to it. Usually, it is spinach, broccoli, cauliflour, carrots, green beans, and peas. Have also have added corn and potatoes or rice. Celery is good too. Just let it cook til the vegetables are done and you have a vegetable feast.

Dinkster 03-23-2008 05:23 PM

Ahhhh Someone else likes to make soup

This is a good one for me.

Chicken and dumpling soup or stew depending on how many vegetables you want to put in it.

8 oz boneless skinless chicken breast cooked in 3 cans fat free chicken broth
remove chicken and dice up and return to broth,

add:

4 stalks celery cut up
6 carrots sliced
3/4 c. peas
1 chopped onion

yokeless eggdrop dumplings

mix 1 c. four
2 egg white
dash salt
and just enough water to make a gooey dough

drop by small teaspoonfuls into boiling soup
when dumplings float they are done.

I make this and freeze it in small zip lock bags so I have it handy.

You can also make vegetable beef soup using the fat free vegetable beef broth and low fat roast beef slices chopped up.

This is a very low fat low cal soup done either way and it is a great meal starter so that you don't feel food deprived while dieting.

Annie

retiredone 04-04-2008 01:13 PM

Low-fat, low-refined sugar desserts

2 Attachment(s)
Blushing Bananas
Adapted from: Low Fat & Light Four Ingredient Cookbook

1 pint fresh strawberries (or use frozen and add 1 tablespoon honey)
¾ cup frozen orange juice concentrate, undiluted and thawed
3 large ripe bananas, sliced
Low fat or fat free whipped topping

Wash and hull strawberries. (If using frozen berries, let thaw.) Combine strawberries and orange juice concentrate in a blender and blend until smooth. Alternate banana slices with strawberry-orange sauce. Top with low-fat whip. Serves 8

Each serving contains: 140 calories; 0.4 g fat; 1.3 g protein; 2 g fibre

I don't have the nutritional information for the next recipe but I'll edit the post when I have it.

Holiday Crisp

Filling:
2 cups apples, peeled, cored and sliced
3 cups other fruit, peeled, cored and sliced (pears, peaches, plums, blueberries, etc.)
2 tablespoons minute tapioca
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup apple juice concentrate

Stir all ingredients together and place in 9-inch square pan. Place topping over fruit and bake 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes or until fruit is cooked and the crisp looks golden brown.

Topping:
⅔ cup whole wheat flour
⅔ cup oatmeal
2 tablespoons honey or brown sugar
3 tablespoons non-hydrogenated margarine
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda

Mix all together until crumbly. Serve warm or cold with low fat topping.

Picture #1 Blushing Bananas
Picture #2 Holiday Crisp

retiredone 04-10-2008 11:09 AM

"Cream" of Mushroom Soup--NO CREAM!!!

1 Attachment(s)
“Cream” of Mushroom Soup
Creamy soup without the added fat of cream.

1 large onion, diced (about 1 cup)
1 tablespoons non-hydrogenated margarine
6 cups chopped mixed mushrooms*
2 or more cloves garlic, chopped fine
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups water
1 cup skim milk
2 beef style bouillon cubes
½ cup instant mashed potato flakes
Pepper to taste

In a large saucepan saute onion and garlic in margarine until onion starts to caramelize. Add the chopped mushrooms, 1 cup of water, and salt. Cook until wilted and reduced. Remove 1 cup of drained mushroom mixture and set aside. To the mushroom mixture left in the pot add the remaining 3 cups water, milk and bouillon cubes. Bring to a simmer to dissolve the bouillon cubes and then remove from heat. Add the potato flakes and using an immersion blender, puree until very smooth. (If an immersion blender is not available use a regular blender.) Return pureed mixture to burner and add the reserved mushrooms and onions. Heat thoroughly. Makes 6-8 servings.

*I used white button, shiitake, and Portobelo.

"Cream" of Mushroom Soup

retiredone 04-10-2008 10:20 PM

Bran Muffins

Very tasty, and high in fiber.

Bran Muffins

1½ cups Whole wheat flour
1½ cups Wheat bran
½ cup Oat bran
½ cup Brown sugar
1 tablespoon Baking powder
1 teaspoon Carob powder or cocoa
½ teaspoon Baking soda
½ teaspoon Salt
½ cup Raisins
½ cup Dates, chopped
½ cup Pecans, chopped
1¾ cups Soy milk or skim milk
¼ cup Oil
¼ cup Molasses
1 tablespoon Lemon juice
1 tablespoon Vanilla

Combine all dry ingredients including fruit and nuts. In a separate bowl, combine milk, oil, molasses, lemon juice and vanilla. Stir liquid ingredients gently into dry mixture and blend well. Line a muffin pan with papers or coat with pan spray. Fill cups ¾ full. Bake 375 degrees F., 20-25 minutes or until baked. Makes 12 large muffins or 18 medium.

This is the nutritional information for the whole recipe. To find out the nutritional value of each muffin divide the values by the number of muffins you have made. Example: 3049 calories ÷12 muffins= 254 calories or 3049 ÷18=169 calories

Total Calories=3049
Total Carbohydrates=538 g
–Dietary Fibre=80 g
–Sugars=271 g
Total Fat=105 g
-Sat. Fat=9 g
Sodium=3170 g
Protein=68 g
Iron=160%
Calcium 192%
Vitamin A=26%
Vitamin C=13%

retiredone 04-13-2008 01:14 PM

Main Dishes

2 Attachment(s)
Vegetable Curry
16-oz. package baby carrots or 1 lb. carrots, sliced or cut in sticks
3 medium potatoes, cubed (or use cauliflower for lower calories)
1 lb. fresh, or frozen green beans, cut in 2-inch pieces
1 green pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can garbanzo beans (chick peas), drained and rinsed
1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
3 tablespoons minute tapioca
3 teaspoons curry powder (or to taste)
2 teaspoon salt
1¾ cups boiling water or more to make a nice sauce
2 teaspoons chicken bouillon, or 2 chicken bouillon cubes

Combine carrots, potatoes, green beans, pepper, onion, garlic, garbanzo beans, and tomatoes in large bowl. Stir in tapioca, curry powder, and salt. Dissolve bouillon in boiling water. Pour over vegetables. Mix well. Cook in large covered pot on stove until vegetables are tender or spoon into large slow cooker or two medium ones. Cover. Cook on Low 8-10 hours or High 3-4 hours. Serve with cooked rice if desired

This recipe may also be cooked on the stove in a large pot. Cook until vegetables are tender.

Raisin & Walnut Rice Salad
100g (about ¼ pound) snow peas, topped, tailed & sliced diagonally (I’ve also used green beans or green peas when snow peas are not available.)
3 cups cooked brown rice
1 small red onion, finely chopped
1 small red or green pepper, finely chopped
1 red apple, finely chopped
1 cup chopped raisins
⅓ cup chopped walnuts

Dressing
3 tbsp light olive oil
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp brown sugar

Blanch snow peas by pouring boiling over them and standing for a few minutes. Drain them and chill with cold water. Drain again.
Combine cold rice with snow peas, onion, capsicum, apple, raisins and walnuts.
Combine dressing ingredients and toss through rice mixture.
This salad can be refrigerated for up to 2 days and improves flavor.
Serves 6

Calories 384Cal
Protein 6g
Fat 12g
Carbohydrate 49g
Sodium 100mg
Potassium 515mg
Calcium 35mg
Iron 2.2mg
Fibre 4g

Picture #1 Vegetable Curry
Picture #2 Raisin and Walnut Rice Salad

retiredone 04-18-2008 08:08 AM

Cookies and Cake-Low-fat but still yummy

2 Attachment(s)
These cookies can be made smaller to make about 2 dozen.

Chocolate Snowballs
¼ cup cocoa
½ cup sugar or Splenda
⅔ cup water
½ teaspoon vanilla
½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
½ cup graham cracker crumbs
½ cup oatmeal
¼ cup coconut, approximately for rolling

Mix cocoa, sugar/Splenda, and water. Bring to a boil for about 30 seconds. Remove from heat and add vanilla, ½ cup coconut, crumbs and oatmeal. When cool enough to handle shape into balls and roll in coconut. Makes 12-15 snowballs.

This carrot cake is not loaded with fat and is very light to the taste. This recipe is from www.vegweb.com. Just to let you know there are no eggs in this recipe if you thought I forgot them.

Orange Carrot Cake
1 cup white flour
½ cup whole wheat flour (or you may use all white flour)
1 tablespoon ground flax seed
¾ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup raw sugar or brown sugar, loosly packed
1 heaping cup of shredded carrots
¾ cup orange juice
1 teaspoon orange zest
⅓ cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all dry ingredients in bowl. In a small bowl mix carrots and zest and remaining wet ingredients. Add to the dry ingredients and stir just until blended. Pour into sprayed or greased 9 inch square pan. Bake 25-30 minutes or until middle is baked.

You can also sprinkle a bit of raw sugar over the top before baking. No frosting is needed for this cake.

Nutritional Information for 1/9 of cake:
Calories: 241
Total Fat: 9g
--Saturated Fat:1g
--Trans Fat: 0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 438mg
Total Carbohydrates: 30g
--Dietary Fiber: 1g
--Sugars: 20g
Protein: 3g
Vitamin A: 50%
Vitamin C: 16%
Calcium: 6%
Iron: 7%

If you prefer a less sweet cake reduce sugar to 3/4 cup. 1/2 cup of well-drained crushed pineapple may be added for a pineapple carrot cake. I serve this cake with low-fat whipped topping with a little orange zest stirred in.

Picture #1 Orange Carrot Cake
Picture #2 Chocolate Snowballs

Bobbolink 06-24-2008 06:34 PM

Recipes taken from the allrecipes.com site

Sweetly Stewed Rhubarb (4oz serving @ 24 calories each w/Splenda)10 cups diced rhubarb (3 lbs.)
3 cups white sugar. ( I used 1.5 cups bulk baking/cooking Splenda,
instead of the white sugar)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Place rhubarb in a large pot and fill with enough water so that is almost covered.
(I didn’t do that, I added about ½ inch and watched it. It gets too soupy with all that water) Bring to a boil, then simmer over medium - medium low heat until starting to fall apart, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the sugar(or Splenda) and cinnamon until sugar has dissolved. Serve hot or cold.

Rhubarb-Pineapple Jam or Sauce (4oz serving 41 calories w/Splenda)
10 cups chopped fresh rhubarb (3 lbs.)
1 (20) oz can crushed pineapple, undrained
2 cups white sugar ( I used 1 cup Bulk cooking Splenda instead)
1 (6oz) package strawberry flavored gelatin
(I used SF jello)
Place the rhubarb, pineapple, and sugar if using into a large saucepan. (I stirred in the Splenda after the rhubarb/pineapple was cooked)
Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir until rhubarb is tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in gelatin until completely blended. (This is where I also stir in the Splenda)
Ladle into glass jars or plastic containers to refrigerate or freeze.

Rhubarb Cherry Jelly or Sauce (4 oz. serving 41 calories w/Splenda)
6 cups diced rhubarb (24oz)
4 cups white sugar - yuk, way too sweet. ( I used 1 cup bulk cooking Splends)
1 (21oz) can cherry pie filling, (I used the sugar free kind)
1 (6oz) package cherry flavored gelatin (Sugar Free)
Place rhubarb in pot and cook until tender, add about ½ or less water on bottom and stir frequently. Stir in pie filling and gelatin, bring mixture to a boil. Take off heat and stir in the Splenda. (If using real sugar, cook it with the rhubarb. Pour into a shallow pan and allow to cool in refrigerator. When jelly/sauce is cool, pack into jars or plastic containers. Refrigerate or freeze.

meowee 08-15-2008 12:36 PM

Indian Relish

Serve with meat or fold into a low-cal mayo-type dressing for chicken, ham, or tuna salad

6 cups minced zucchini
6 cups minced cabbage
1 cup minced green pepper
3 cups minced carrots
3 cups minced onions
1/4 cup pickling salt
1 cup sugar
3 cups white vinegar
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

In large bowl combine vegetables and mix well. Sprinkle with pickling salt; mix well; cover and let stand for 3 to 4 hours. Drain well.

In large saucepand combine remaining ingredients and bring to a boil over medium heat. Pour over vegetables; stir; cover and let stand at room temperature until cool.

Prepare 5 pint jars and keep hot until needed.

In large saucepan, bring relish mixture to a boil for 15 minutes, stirring constantly.

Fill jars, leaving one inch head space and process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes.

kathyled 09-11-2008 11:48 PM

I'm new at this posting but I have a recipe that is really simple, a side dish and it's very tasty.

2 cups of okra
1 large can of no salt tomatoes
1 can whole kernel corn
3 tablespoons of immatation bacon bits (the really cheap ones)
1 medium onion copped
1/2 bell pepper chopped
1 bay leaf
1 T. Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

dump all in a pot and cook for about 1 hour and you have a very tasty side dish. I don't know the calorie content but it's not that much per cup.

Bobbolink 10-04-2008 09:32 AM

Applescotch Pudding
1 SF instant butterscotch pudding mix, 4-serving package.
1/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
1/2 tsp apple pie spice
1 1/2 cup water
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 oz seedless raisins
SF Cool Whip
Directions:
1. Mix together the dry pudding mix, dry milk powder, and apple pie spice.
2..Stir in the water, applesauce, and raisins using a wire whisk.
3.. Before serving pour pudding into 4 separate dessert dishes, top each with SF Cool whip and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
I have some rubbermaid 3oz covered containers I use. I divided this recipe into 6 servings and used 1.5 oz raisins for 6 servings at 59 calories each. (Not counting the SF Cool whip) The apple pie spice is crucial to this recipe, if you don't have it, buy it. I use it in fresh applesauce too!

Bobbolink 10-08-2008 12:54 PM

Vegetable Stir-Fry

I'm going to stir fry some chicken breast to add to this recipe as well as the pineapple. I'm thawing out the breast right now for tomorrow, I'm thinking with the extra chicken and pineapple I'll need more sauce. I'll let you know .

Fresh Vegetable Stir-Fry

Serves: 4

Serve with a side of brown rice and you've got a tasty meal.

INGREDIENTS

Ingredients for sauce:
1/2 cup pineapple juice (use canned pineapple, drain juice.)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon corn starch
1 teaspoon soy sauce
Ingredients for vegetables:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 cup broccoli florets
1 cup carrot slices
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped zucchini
1 cup chopped red or green pepper

DIRECTIONS
1. Combine the ingredients for the sauce in a bowl.
2. In a large sauce pan or wok, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Add onion, broccoli, carrots, and celery. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes.
3. Add the zucchini and peppers, stir, cover the pan and cook for 1 minute. (Stir in pineapple chunks and chicken)
4. Add sauce, bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute, covered. Serve vegetables while hot.

retiredone 11-12-2008 12:58 PM

Broccoli & Cheddar Quiche with Mashed Potato Crust
Crust:
2 medium baking potatoes, peeled
1/4 cup (50 mL) milk
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil (divided)
Filling:
2 cups (500 mL) coarsely chopped cooked broccoli OR 1 pkg (300 g) frozen whole broccoli, defrosted and coarsely chopped
1-1/2 cups (375 mL) coarsely grated Cheddar cheese
3 eggs
1 cup (250 mL) milk
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
Pinch ground nutmeg
2 green onions, chopped

For the Crust: Cut potatoes into chunks. Cook potatoes in water until tender, about 20 minutes; drain well. Mash with milk and salt. Brush a 9-inch (23 cm) deep pie dish with part of the olive oil or spray with a nonstick cooking spray. Press in mashed potatoes. Brush with remaining oil or spray. Bake crust in preheated 375°F (190°C) oven for 30 minutes. Potatoes should be lightly browned and crusty. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F (180°C).

For the Filling: Arrange well-drained broccoli and cheese on top of the potato crust. In medium bowl, whisk eggs with milk, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Pour over broccoli and cheese. Sprinkle with green onions. Bake quiche 30 to 40 minutes until slightly puffed, browned and just set. Allow to cool 10 minutes before serving.

I put the ingredients in nutritiondata.com and this is what they gave me for 1/6th of the pie. You can cut down on the salt if you want less sodium and use low fat cheese if you want to lower the grams of fat.

Amount Per Serving (1/6th of pie) using skim milk
Calories~255.0
Calories from Fat~108.0
Fat~12.0g
Saturated Fat~6.0g
Cholesterol~31.0 mg
Sodium~852.0 mg
Carbohydrate~24.0
Dietary Fiber~4.0g
Protein~14.0g

Vitamin A~29%
Calcium~30%
Vitamin C~70%
Iron~5%

Bobbolink 11-14-2008 08:54 AM

This recipe states it as a spicy salad, Sounds more like an entree to me????????

Caribbean Chicken

Serves: 6

This sweet and spicy salad adds a bit of exotic flavor to just about any meal. Ready in just 20 minutes!

INGREDIENTS
1 pound skinned and boned chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
2 cups pineapple tidbits, drained, 1/4 cup juice reserved
1 cup chopped green pepper
1 cup water
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon dried garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon dried ginger
1 medium banana, diced
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1 cup uncooked brown rice

DIRECTIONS
1. In a large sauce pan cook rice according to package directions.
2. In a large skillet sprayed with vegetable cooking spray, sauté chicken for 5 minutes until tender. Stir in pineapple and green pepper.
3. In a small bowl combine the 1/4 cup reserved pineapple juice, water, cornstarch, vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, and ginger. Stir well.
4. Pour mixture into chicken mixture. Mix well to combine. Continue cooking for 5 minutes or until mixture thickens, stirring often.
5. Fold in banana and almonds. Heat through.
6. Prepare brown rice according to package directions.
7. Serve over cooked brown rice.

NUTRITION INFO (per 4-ounce chicken & 1/3-cup rice serving)
Calories: 323.0
Fat: 11.2 g
Carbohydrates: 34.9 g
Protein: 21.3 g