3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Age 50+ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50-217/)
-   -   ~golden Girls~ July (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50/116584-%7Egolden-girls%7E-july.html)

ellabella 07-06-2007 11:03 AM

Well, like the saying goes, “another day, another dollar”, although with inflation, it’s about a buck and a half these days ;). AOL had an article this morning from (I think) the New Yorker Magazine identifying the 21 top metro areas in the country where the *luxury* rental market is below $800 a month. What a joke! The basic rental market in Boston starts at about $1500 a month for one bedroom. *Luxury* rentals are in the $4000-$5000 range. CHARLOTTE, NC, is one of the lower markets…they’re much lower for buying property as well, but do you suppose I could talk DH into going down there? Nuh-uh. He doesn’t want to be in the south :?: He was born & raised in Houston, and he likes it better up here. I was born & raised up here, and I betcha I’d like it better in Charlotte. Tsk. Well, I told him it’s fine to stay here so long as he never intends to retire, and he said he’s okay with that…likes his job just fine. Grrrrrrrr. Well, I’m retiring in three years….in three years I will have been at this job for ten years and will qualify for my full pension. Don’t care about no danged social security! Let wonder boy keep working if that’s what it takes to maintain our lifestyle up here. My six year old granddaughter said to me the other day, “Ooohmama (she calls me Ooohmama; it’s a holdover from when she couldn’t say “grandma” and it stuck. Now ALL the grandkids call me Ooohmama) Ooomama,” she says, “You shouldn’t buy so many things for your house. You should SAVE your money…” What? (This was on the occasion of my buying a piece of sculpture for my foyer that I’ve been wanting). Now where do you suppose THAT came from? DD, worried that I’ll run out of money or something? Yes, yes and yes. This is my week for grumbling about my kids. Just makes me want to run out and snarfle down a hot fudge sundae. (Not really; I just said that because this is supposed to be a DIET website, and I felt I should interject something related into my monologue, here.) Don’t worry, though. Next week, my kids will all be back in my good graces, and I’ll be all sweetness and light again. What? You say I’ve NEVER BEEN all sweetness and light? Awwww. Sure I have. :p
PAULA! Yay! We’ve all been worried about you! I’m so glad you’re back! Sounds like you’ve really had your hands full with Dad. I hope all works out well for you and him. Please keep us in the loop, if only every so often, just so we know all is okay with you?
Cat, is that a pic of your Dad? When I clicked on it, it came up “access forbidden”. Is there any way you can fix that?
Theresa, that poem reminded me of when I first married my ex, and he thought I was going to iron his underwear because HIS MOTHER did. Hah! I told him to take his dirty stuff to his mother’s and let her keep right on doing them. My now-DH does MY laundry, but I don’t expect him to iron my underwear, for pity sake!
Hah, Karen. Good story. My ex has everything he could possibly want now, but he had to marry an extremely unattractive woman to get it. I guess those are the breaks, eh?
Yanno, Paula, when I was growing up, my dad always had a big garden…grew corn, beans, squash, cukes, some other stuff, and those great big beefsteak tomatoes. One thick slice of those, fresh from the garden, on lightly buttered toast HAS to be the best sandwich I ever had then or since.
Hiya Jo-annie. No more ripping sweetie’s face off, you hear? Just come to 3fc and kvetch and quibble and carry on like I do….
Hey Bobbi…so good to have you back….and hello Moxie m’dear, and Meowee, and my dear Lynn whose recipe for imitation crab sandwiches I intend to try tomorrow.
Hey! I rode my bike for an hour yesterday after work, and stuck to my eating plan except no evening snack. I don’t think I did myself too much harm while DS was visiting, after all.

TTFN, lovely GG’s,

Z

meowee 07-06-2007 01:38 PM

Hi there GG group . . . :grouphug:

Got home from the lunch outing fairly eary by complaining about not feeling too well -- unfortuntely it happens to be true :( -- I was up at 2:30 am because I had one of those lovely hypoglycemic events that we diabetics are known for -- so beween having what amounts to 2 breakfasts (2:30 and 9:30) and a not so low-calorie lunch (12:30) -- this is not shaping up to be a wonderfully controlled eating day. Hopefully things will get better and my life will get back into the normal (and relatively boring) groove again soon.

BTW . . . I love retirement. Retired about 6 years ago now and most of the time it is wonderful. Of course the company I worked for still doesn't allow me to get totally bored -- they seem to call with dumb (and sometimes not so dumb) questions once or twice a month . . . sometimes it's a quick answer; sometimes it ends up being days of work. :dizzy:

My only problem with this 'retirement stuff' is figuring out what day it is without checking the calendar. :o That's gotten even more difficult now that Nova Scotia finally got Sunday shopping this past year . . . I know where were the only Canadian province without it for a long time. Probably the only sizable hold-out in all of North America. :dizzy:

Anyway, gang . . . hope everybody has a great moving and shaking kind of day planned. . . See you later . . . :carrot:

grammpaula 07-06-2007 10:52 PM

Boy what a busy day. I had no idea it was going to be like this.

After my shower I decided to pay the nursing home I want my dad to go to a visit to see how the bed situation was coming and to check in with the speech therapist. There's still no bed and the therapist suggested I look for a respiratory facility as an alternative.

While I was gone I had received 2 messages for a case worker from the hospital I had never heard from before. I left a message when I tried to return her call.

While I was waiting for her call I decided to contact the nursing facility I found on line last night that uses the new machine for swallowing. The have room for my dad.

I decided to pay the new place a visit. It was very nice. It's brand new. The people were very nice.

While I was talking to the admissions girl I got a call from the hospital. They case worker said that the original nursing home would not have a bed for possibility 4-6 weeks. She said that the insurance would not agree to waiting that long and asked which of the 2 places I had already said I would not place my father in I wanted him to go to. I again said that neither of these places were an option and that we would be going out of network. i told her I was talking to a place right then. She asked if he could be placed there TODAY!!! Mind you this is 2:00 in the afternoon. I gave the phone to the admissions girls so I wouldn't have a stroke myself while I talked to this lady. I was told that if we didn't move him today we could be responsible for his payments at the hospital until he was moved.

The admissions girl told them to fax the medical requirements my dad will need and she would have to present them to her nursing staff to see if they could even take my dad as a patient.

I drive home still fuming! At 4:00 I call the admissions girl to see if she had heard anything form the hospital or insurance people. She said she had not heard a thing and had not received the fax. While I was talking to her she got a call from the insurance people and she referred them to the financial depart. so they could work out the payment deal.

At 4:15 I get a call from the hospital and they say that everything has been delayed until Monday and we would not be responsible for any payments. The hospital would eat the cost. (I highly doubt that will actually happen). She said everything was a go and he would be moved on Monday. I asked if it had been cleared with the nursing staff and she said the insurance said all was ok.

At 4:30 I think I should call the admissions girls again just for good measure. She said that it was still up in the air on if he would be coming there on Monday or not. The insurance was going to call back and work on the contact and the nursing staff would still need to be consulted.

We visited my dad at the hospital this evening. He was all clean shaven. His nose and ear hairs were all trimmed. and his hair was freshly cut. I guess they wanted him to look nice when he was transferred today. He was in a much better mood this evening and I told him he might be moved on Monday and he seemed happy about that. I really had the feeling like the staff were talking about us as we walked in. There are a lot of patients that have no one visit them and someone from the family visits dad almost daily.

So, anyway, the eating hasn't been good, the sleeping has been very little the last couple nights and unless you call jaw exercising while talking to all these people today real exercise I have not been on plan all day. Maybe Monday I can relax and get on track.

littlered 07-07-2007 08:05 AM

Good morning
I am sorry I have not been back .:o

Hubby is home on vacation, things are breaking and we had to fix them in the middle of trying to make a new thingy for the furnace.

The phone died. So we started trying to eliminate the problem.
Checked all the phones in the house. No working phones.

So Hubby checked the box behind the phone.
It had a broken wire. So…I bought a new box. And just for the heck of it,
I bought a new phone too.
Figured I had to cover ALL my bases. ( hubby keeps telling me through all of this,
that it’s the out side wires, I said NO its not. the pc wire is working)

The new base and phone don’t work either.
I called the electrician, my son (Thank God for him ;) )
My son tracked it down to one of the wires in the attic, it had broken. My hubby has been walking around up there again.
So now we have a phone line that works and a new phone too. Its pretty, big buttons, for us old
blind folks. http://www.barricksinsurance.com/smileys/clap.gif

Paula,
I wish I could have been there to help you yesterday. At least for Moral support.
The hospital there, seems to not really know what the heck they are doing. I hope that the new place is good for all of you.
I will keep you in my heart and my prayers. For a safe, wonderful move on Monday.
As far as you eating goes, Honey, do what you need to do, with your dad.
that is more important than any of this. When you get your dad settled, It will happen for you with you weight.

Linda,
I hope you have a better day too. good luck with your sugar. As if dieting is not hard enough! Wow, I am so lucky. None of that fun stuff.

Ella,
good luck on your retirement. YOU will love it. Just think how many hours you can ride your bike a day then http://www.barricksinsurance.com/smileys/smile1.gif
Really that sounds like very high prices for rent up there.
I do know that to rent a 1 bedroom in what looks like a
*luxury* place is showing for $800 on up.
I see a 3 bedroom/ 2 bathroom townhouse for just over $1200.

I have always heard it cost bunches to live up there. Wow! $4-5000! that IS high.
90 minutes to drive work!
Eek!! http://www.barricksinsurance.com/smi...rror_1_prv.gifI would not like that. I did the driving in Detroit years ago.
With a 1 yr. and 7yr old. That was the pits. I don’t envy you girls with those long drives.

Cat
New Orleans, the French Quarter. It all sounds sooo romantic. That’s where I want to go for my anniversary next yr.

Lynn,
When you MAKE birthday cards? do you print them? or make them as in cutting and pasting, etc.?
That sounds more fun than scrap booking. We are such a boring family. just a few pics. now and then. and We don’t go out much so we don’t have pics there either. We are Just home bodies.

Bobby,
married since 1965! Wow! congrats on the long time marriage.
You are from a dying breed. Not many of those around any more. I feel pretty good just reaching my 29th.

Well I am going to get up and go work out. I have not been doing much besides the Curves thingy. So Today is a new day. I will get on the elliptical and Ab lounge.

have a nice day girls, will be back later.
Hello to everyone else, Hope things are going well for you too.

http://www.barricksinsurance.com/smileys/niceday.gif

femmecreole 07-07-2007 10:08 AM

Zoe, yeah it was a picture of my Dad, (kissing my Mama) but for some reason kodak is not letting me link to that one picture...so go to this page, then scroll to the bottom and click on "next page" and click on the one that says "Mama and Daddy" (and no that is not their wedding..Daddy is next to the groom) There are just some pictures in there that I uploaded to have printed for my Mom.

Nothing much happening here today. Yesterday was a lot of fun. We went to New Orleans and went to the restaurant supply place and I found the pan I wanted and also a mandolin I've been wanting to slice veggies thin and a really cool ladle.There is a fantastic neighborhood restaurant close to there that has just reopened since the storm (been there since the 1800's) and my husband had the envy for a stuffed artichoke, so we went there and I had a spinich salad. Then we went to a mall looking for a game my husband wanted, Then to Whole Foods where I got a ton of veggies and fruit, then Target where I got some rectangle baskets to put my "beauty products" in.

DD called yesterday afternoon while I was in Target to tell me she made it to LA and they had begun moving their stuff in their apt. She said it is nice, but tiny...it's a loft and looks a lot smaller in person than on the internet! I wanted to say "Good..come home!" but I resisted. And,Zoe you are right about apt prices...I think they are paying 1500 a month for 600 and something square feet with no storage space to speak of. For that much here you can rent a whole house..and a nice one! She had a really nice apt in a historic old building in N.O. that she only paid 500 a month for. (There are a couple of pictures of that apt on that same second page of my albums, at the bottom where it says Dec 10th 2005..it was a great, funky place in a great funky neighborhood.

floridarusty 07-07-2007 11:03 AM

Hi this is a recipe I found that sounds yummy for hot summer days.....I am going to try it tomorrow. Thought I'd share, Phyllis

Fat: 4.1 g

Carbohydrates: 8.1g

Calories: 87.5

Protein: 5.1g

This is a light salad that makes a great addition to an Italian dinner or perfect for lunch.

1 cup cooked, chopped asparagus
1 red ripe tomato, cut into wedges
1/2 cup fat free Italian dressing
10 jumbo black olives
2 oz mozzarella cheese, part skim milk, cut into cubes

Cook the asparagus to desired tenderness.
After asparagus is cooked take all ingredients and put together and mix.
Chill and serve
(If you like it warm it tastes good as well.)

Number of Servings: 4

moxiesd 07-07-2007 11:43 AM

Hello Ladies!!! Good to be back...after a couple of hectic days with emergency room, Dr. visits, etc. etc. (not for me, but for my brother)

Anyway....

Hope to catch up on some house cleaning.... and do some cooking today, and just enjoy a down day!
Paul...loved your gardening tip....I don't seem to get the most from my garden...could be that after it gets hot, I don't do much for the garden. Wow you are going to be busy..... I hadn't heard about the swallowing shock therapy. My hubby suffered a stroke and couldn't swallow....they put in a feeding tube.....his swallowing would get better, then worse.... but I didn't know they had other therapy available. Nursing homes require a lot of family involvement in the best interest of the resident. Sounds like you found a great one.

Zoe...love your posts....real life problems and true grit!!
PHYLLIS...love to see recipes printed....means they've been tried and that makes them more interesting to try yourself.
CAT.....I'll never be all caught up....I'm trying to convince myself that being started is better than not starting....I get distracted too easily to be all caught up at anything!!
LINDA I got the hang of the one ticker....how do you get two....do you have to pull that in from a different web site??
LYNN....what does the star rating signify?

Hello to all I missed: Bobby, Karen, Theresa, Joanne and to anyone else I overlooked, consider the source & forgive me!:grouphug:

meowee 07-07-2007 12:02 PM

Hi Everybody . . . :gouphug:

Well I did pretty well yesterday . . . ate tons and tons (well, almost a pound) of lightly seared Scallops with some mixed greens and fruit for dessert. At least I managed to stay away from the heavy side salads and all the homemade desserts and the ice cream . . . Yay!

Wow PAULA, I hope everything is great for your Dad come Monday.

Gee MOXIE, I really don't know for sure . . . try "Quick Links" and then "Edit Signature" and see if that works? I know you can have two (and two from the same site) but I've never actually tried to do it. Good Luck.

Ooh PHYLLIS, recipe sounded great until you got to the olives . . . :( . . . for some reason I've just never been able to acquire a taste for them.

Lucky you CAT. I've always wanted to go to New Orleans for MardiGras. Have fun with all the new toys.

Glad you got the 'phone stuff fixed, THERESA. I finally got a new answering machine and everything works when it's plugged in. Amazing how we rely on all the gadgets isn't it.

Well, better get my 'rounds' finished so I can go and play a little more. Hope everybody has a great moving and shaking kind of day planned . . . See you soon. :carrot:

Karen31 07-07-2007 02:40 PM

Hello Girls,
I just spent a long time writing a post to everyone and then lost my internet connection and lost the whole thing!! Anyway, I didn't weigh on Friday like I usually do since I have like a "piggie" at my sons BBQ on the 4th. But I did weigh yesterday and was happy to see that I had lost 2 pounds.:carrot: Just think if I had left the burgers, potato salad, cole slaw and beer :o alone it might have been 3 or 4 pounds instead!!

Anyway, I will just pop in for a minute now since I need to get some outside work done and it is already clouding up and looks like more thunderstorms this afternoon.

Sure hope everyone is having a good Saturday and I'll try to post personals later this evening.

Take care, Karen

grammpaula 07-07-2007 03:06 PM

It's a beautiful day here. I laid on the swing for a while and got some sun. I've been waiting to hear from my dad's girlfriend to see if she needed a ride to the hospital. Her daughter keeps making excuses why she can't take her.

We are having a grill tonight. I made my hubby some mac salad and I'm going to grill some store bought cauliflower and some broccoli out of the garden. I have some lean hamburger to stick on the grill too. I sure wish I had some home grown tomatoes to put on them. I think I'll make some Sangria too.

I have some pioneer dresses that need finished, but I just can't get in the mood to do them.

Karen- :goodscale: 2 pounds is terrific.

Moxie- This swallowing treatment is new. I'm hoping my dad can give it a try. I already talked to the new speech therapist when I made my visit yesterday and told her I was interested in it.

Theresa- I guess it's not Akron City Hospital that is the real problem in this case. I'm having problems with a private owned Hospital that rents a floor at the hospital. They are building their own building and will be moving when it's finished. What is it is a rest home like setting that offers acute care on a short term basis. They have their own staff separate from the hospital. Like I said I thought he was in rehab part of the hospital until I did some research and found out he was in this separate place. I didn't even know this part existed. I hope my dad gets better care and attention when he is moved. I don't think it could be any worse. I've learned from this experience to be more aware of things and don't take things for granted. If I had known then what I know now I would have requested he be moved to a different place sooner.

ladyinweighting 07-07-2007 04:13 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm late today. Took Princess Di to the vet's this morning - she's fine - ran some errands, came home, ate lunch, and took a nap. I'm now just taking a break from paying bills & then, if I have the energy, I'll go out and wash my car - spilled some coffee in it this morning.

Hi Paula, my heart is with you. I TRULY understand what you're going through. Your dad is VERY lucky to have such a caring and persistent daughter.

Hi Cat, what is N.O. like now? From your post, sounds like it has recuperated more than I thought. How far are you from the city? I feel so bad for you about your dd moving to LA. I can't even think about my dd moving away. I think I'll have to follow her (only 1/2 kidding about this).

Hi Theresa, what kind of new thingy for the furnace? I use paper, and stamp pads, and punches. They are REALLY beautiful, but a LOT of work. Yesterday, I made 4 cards in 5 hours! PS - don't forget to PM your email address to me. I couldn't send you a directory bc I didn't have your email address. Hmmm - as I write that, I'm wondering if I can PM it to you. I'll try.

Hi Zoe, You wrote, "...when I was growing up, my dad always had a big garden…grew corn, beans, squash, cukes, some other stuff, and those great big beefsteak tomatoes. One thick slice of those, fresh from the garden, on lightly buttered toast HAS to be the best sandwich I ever had then or since."
Yesterday on my way to scrapbooking in south Jersey, I stopped and picked up some NJ tomatoes (best tomatoes in the world). I like my tomato sandwiches with mayo instead of butter - that's what I had for dinner last night - DELICIOUS!

Hi Linda (Meowee), I hope you're feeling better. I don't like olives either. I'll try the recipe without the olives.

Hi Margaret, I guess it just means that we have a WONDERFUL thread. Theresa gave us 5 stars so I clicked on the rating icon and also gave us 5 stars.

Hi Phyllis, give me a kick in the rear - I just can't seem to make myself do that WATP dvd. I give you a lot of credit for sticking with that.

Hi Karen, you wrote, "I just spent a long time writing a post to everyone and then lost my internet connection and lost the whole thing!!"
I get bounced off 3FC periodically. So, when I write my posts, I use Notepad & then, when I'm finished, I copy and paste into the 3FC window to send. This way, if 3FC goes out on me, I don't lose my message.

OK, I guess I'll get back to my bills & then, maybe go out and wash my car. Asian sesame lamb chops for dinner. If they're good, I'll post the recipe.

Lynn

ellabella 07-07-2007 04:48 PM

When I try to imagine what I would do if I were retired, it just seems too fairytale-ish to have any realistic sense of myself doing it ...or being it. Retired, I mean. Will it be like Saturdays are now? Probably not, because now I spend Saturdays running around trying to do everything I don’t get done during the week. Once I retire, I’ll have all week long to grocery shop, bring clothes to the cleaners (Probably won’t bring that much to the cleaners when I don’t have to dress for work and DH isn’t wearing a suit & tie every day), vacuum, clean out the fridge, etc., etc., etc. DH spends most all day Saturday up & downstairs doing laundry and working in the studio. So, on Saturdays, with everything already done, what would I do? Oh, sure, I can do some sculpting...oh, and maybe I’ll actually get around to using that silver jewelry-making kit that DH bought for me a couple of Christmases ago. I haven’t tried it yet because you have to watch this video and learn how to “sculpt” the silver (or something) with a little weeny blow torch. I just don’t have the kind of time it takes to sink my teeth into something like that right now, but maybe when I retire, I’ll be able to. And read. And look for more antiques and such to BUY (much to the chagrin of my dd, who obviously doesn’t realize that even if she doesn’t want them, these things can eventually be sold for a considerable profit). Pffft. (She’s not back in my good graces yet :devil:). I also have a penchant for buying oriental rugs; may have mentioned that I have them in virtually every room, including my bathroom. That’s another unwarranted extravagance, according to my very frugal, money-conscious daughter, who, at the ripe old age of 30, already has done some clever investing and financial planning. I’m afraid my orientation to life, developed during the hippie-dippie sixties and seventies, isn’t very focused on economics. DH and I both earn pretty decent money, have some savings, some fairly decent equity in this house, and large insurance policies. So what ELSE are we supposed to have? I personally put all FOUR of my children through college, not to mention other help with cars and houses and more, and being lectured by ANY one of them about finances really annoys the bejesus out of me, and that’s the truth.
Is THAT real life and gritty enough for you, Moxie? Just think of me as the self-appointed star of “As The Worm Turns”.
Meowee-Linda, m’luv...I will move, and I might shake a little, but a moving and shaking day I will not be having, thank you very much. I moved and shook enough this week, moved and shook all morning, and now I’m going to sit and stagnate. And I’m going to enjoy every minute of it! :D
Paula, I KNOW what you’re going through. :hug: My sister’s son was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor @ three years ago - they live in Hendersonville, NC - and somehow, on top of having the tumor, he developed fungal meningitis and was hospitalized at Duke for six weeks, and then they wanted him to go to a rehab center. It was a nightmare trying to get that worked out, and in the end, my sister ended up bringing him back to her house with a visiting nurse coming in daily. I’m happy to say that he’s been in remission, and back at work for the past year, but we went through quite a time with him and doctors and hospitals and such. I spent the better part of two years flying in and out of Asheville or Raleigh just about every month to be with them. I’m very hopeful that the right facility will accept your Dad, and that he’ll get the kind of care you want him to have. Working with the medical profession is just so difficult sometimes.
Oh Lawdie, Theresa! People don’t pay those kinds of rents here in Worcester! That’s metro Boston. Our cost of living is definitely higher than most places, but I’d say you could go the luxury route in rentals here for under $3,000. And most mortgages are less than that, too. Property values are coming down around here, slightly, too...I think Massachusetts has developed one of the highest foreclosure rates in the country. Houses that were going for $450,000 - $500,000 a couple of years back are probably on the market now for $350,000 - $400,000. If you were to rent a whole HOUSE, which Cat says would be @ $1500 in New Orleans, you’d probably pay anywhere from $2500 to $3000 here. But that’s for a really decent house. You’re by far better off owning, of course...even I, dumb as I am about money, know THAT. And LA is even worse, as your daughter has discovered, Cat. My DS says that he may want to come back east in a couple of year’s time - once he gets whatever classes under his belt that he thinks he needs. But as far as buying a house, he says he wouldn’t even attempt it out there unless he suddenly starts making three or four hundred K a year.
Phyllis, that salad sounds right up my alley! DH won’t eat asparagus - or mushrooms - or broccoli- or cauliflower - or a whole LOT of veggies. His mother was a terrible cook, apparently, and cooked stuff without any seasoning until whatever flavor it might once have had was boiled right out of it. For a long time, I didn’t cook any of that stuff since he wouldn’t eat it anyway. Now I cook it for me, and make him steamed green beans or carrots. Those are about the only veggies he likes.
Well, Karen, it sounds like you’re well on your way to “little land”. Jeeze. I’ve got to work harder at this. I plan to weigh myself next Sunday. We’ll see how well I’ve done then. I DID ride my bike for an hour and 20 minutes today! Yay for me!
Lynn, you off gallivanting again??? I’d be interested in hearing about how you make the cards, too.
Jo-Annie...<off with her sweetie, undoubtedly>...hope you’re having fun, m’luv. Check back in and tell all when you have a chance!
Hiya Bobbi!
And thas’ aaaallllllll, folks! (ENOUGH, doncha think???)

Bye-bye Golden Girlies!
Z

meowee 07-07-2007 05:23 PM

Just a quick little note to let you know that I merged those two recipes that Lynne posted into a new STICKY called FAVOURITE RECIPES.

Now I'll go stick in one of my favourites . . . hope you will copy your recipe in there too, Phyllis.

Later gang . . . :carrot:

ladyinweighting 07-07-2007 08:02 PM

Thank you for our new Recipe Sticky

Quote:

Originally Posted by meowee (Post 1764095)
Just a quick little note to let you know that I merged those two recipes that Lynne posted into a new STICKY called FAVOURITE RECIPES.

Now I'll go stick in one of my favourites . . . hope you will copy your recipe in there too, Phyllis.

Later gang . . . :carrot:

Hi Linda,

Thank you for our new recipe sticky.

Lynn

femmecreole 07-08-2007 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyinweighting (Post 1764048)

Hi Cat, what is N.O. like now? From your post, sounds like it has recuperated more than I thought. How far are you from the city?

I live about 45 minutes north of N.O. (but grew up there).
It is kind of hard to describe. The "tourist" parts of the city are just fine..like the french quarter, Magazine St., St.Charles Ave etc. They are the oldest parts of the city and were built on the highest ground. It's the actual neighborhoods where the most people lived that are still in pretty bad shape. You might see 2 or 3 or 4 houses that are rebuilt or in the process of being rebuilt on a block..or maybe none in some neighborhoods. Construction going on everywhere. Lots of traffic lights are still out, the streets are a mess because of the water standing on them for so long..tons of pot holes and "cave-ins" that are roped off etc. It has kind of gone from "3rd world to 2nd world". It is still the first thing on the news here...still tons of problems and sad stories each night reported. I'm sure it is going to be at least 10 years or so till things are "normal" again. People still fighting with their insurance companies, still fighting with FEMA etc.