Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 10:34 PM   #406  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

HI GALS ~

Angie and I just finished dinner. No DODGERgame tonight so I have some computer time.

Angie made flank steak on the BBQ ~ potatoes and green beans. I did very well on my eating today. Oatmeal and 3 turkey bacon strips for breakfast, celery and carrots for lunch, whole wheat bread and turkey sandwich and more for lunch.

My "GOLDEN GIRLS are terrorizing the house right now, running from the second floor down the stairs, by me, into the yard, around the yard and back up to where Angie is...over and over! They do this just about every night! Playing CHASE!

Angie has about half the bedroom painted, I will send a picture of the old "Dolphin Wall" and the new one when she is finished...quite a difference.

PAULA ~Yes my ex-wife and wife have always been on good terms. In fact my ex ~ Brenda ~ called while we were eating, I told Angie "Don't answer it, let the machine take it" (I get a lot of work calls at night sometimes) anyway it was Brenda, so just as I am saying get it...Angie says I'll talk to Brenda. My ex was calling about an activity that Angie and I help her with each year. She is a member of the SONS OF NORWAY, every year they have a Viking Festival where people dress in costume and do "viking stuff"...my ex is usually in charge of the food, we help her with the BBQ and kitchen work for that week-end. We also go with her, her S.O., my son and his wife/buddies, my brother and his wife, to a dinner every two months where they dress as Vikings and "act"...pretty much dinner and a show...with BEER! The girls don't drink much if at all or my brother...but we all enjoy it. My ex had left me 6 years before Angie and I met, it was a little awkward at first for my ex. I think she was having second thoughts on the "divorce" and was very worried about a "new" mom I think, but all I can say is that is is AMAZING how they both get along and do what is best for the kids...now 24 and 26. Brenda was always a part of my family, even after the divorce and nothing changed after Angie arrived on "my scene".

My ex-wife's parents and sister are at almost all of my family functions, Christmas always, most Thanksgivings and anything at all to do with the kids such as birthdays, graduations, etc. My house is the biggest and easy for everyone to get to, so everything is here!

I know it sounds strange but there have been many times over the years that my ex and I have sat at church together...alone...because Angie was at her mom's and the kids didn't come. There was, not so much anymore now that they are out of school, a time when we rode together to the kid's college matches out of state and spent the night in the same room. Never a problem at all with anyone. I guess you would have to know us People that do think it is very normal, because it has always been that way.

LYNN ~ I am so glad that I am not the ONLY mature adult that watches such "trash" such as Big Brother! I hope your son in law enjoys the pictures. enjoy the visit with friends, where do they stay when they visit California?

PHYLLIS ~Great job on the walking!

MEOWEE ~ Take it easy on that ice cre....er...history

LITTLERED ~ Glad the phone lines are up

ZOE ~ Excuse me...WHY? would you be driving in that weather? he said...coming from southern California where if we get 1/2 an inch in two days it is STORM WATCH 2007 on the local news . I don't go "into" Los Angeles much, I live about 100 miles from downtown L.A., I usually just drive by on my way to some jobs or my MIL and SIL's house's. I do go to DODGER games and LAKER games every now and then and of course my favorite USC!! The closest I have been to the east coast is Virginia and Washington D.C., my step-daughter goes to school in New York, Angie has been there a few times but I stay here and man the mutts.

LYN Glad to hear the boating day was fun and you are safe and sound! The salmon salad sounds awesome! I love salmon. I will post a picture of my DAUGHTER and her HUSBAND with the salmon they caught about a year ago on a cruise to Alaska.

Last edited by EZMONEY; 09-16-2007 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:42 PM   #407  
LindaD

S/C/G: 220/194/145

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyinweighting View Post
WEDNESDAY, July 25 (HealthDay News) -- Friends don't let friends get obese.
In addition, a person's odds of becoming obese increased by 57 percent if he or she had a friend who became obese over a certain time interval. If the two people were mutual friends, the odds increased to 171 percent.

And if one adult sibling became obese, the chances that the other sibling would also become obese increased by 40 percent.

Marriage mattered, too -- if a spouse became obese, the other spouse had a 37 percent increased likelihood of following suit.

Social networks were more important than geographic location, the study found. In other words, who you tend to hang out with is more influential, weight-wise, than who your next door neighbor is.

People of the same gender had a greater influence on each other than people of the opposite gender, the team found.

HealthDay

Lynn: This is very interesting and I agree with the article. I just wonder why I'm heavy and all my friends, co-workers, and family are thin. Hmmmm?
Old 07-30-2007, 11:05 PM   #408  
LindaD

Hi Golden Girls:

Wow....I can't believe I just read the posts on Friday morning and I'm already so far behind! It's taken me a couple hours to read and reply. I want to respond to everyone and I'm sending this in 3 posts so I won't lose it in la-la land. If I miss anyone I'm sorry. So, here goes:

Karen – Nice family pictures!!! Everyone looks happy. I’m glad you had a good time. One of my favorite memories living back east was just before it would storm. I’d sit at the open window as the wind would blow the curtains. I remember doing that from the time I was a little girl. The other thing I would love to do is sit in the porch swing until the rain got so bad I had to go inside or get wet. My girlfriends and I would take walks in the rain too. I miss the rain storms. Ahhhhh, memories……… Sorry the guy didn’t show up to see the house. Hang in there. I’d love to have the cinnamon roll receipe.

Z – A friend of mine had terrible pain from the back of her ankle to her hip for about a month. Someone told her about this awesome chiropractor near our workplace. She hobbled to his office and the first treatment made her feel a lot better and a few days later she went back and after that treatment she didn’t have any pain. She went for four more treatments and hasn’t had the pain since. That was about six weeks ago. Have you checked around for a good chiropractor? The only water I ever drink is Arrowhead Water and it’s bottled from a spring and is not purified water. I haven’t been to Backstage Café in Beverly Hills. I’ll have to try it out the next time I’m in LA.

Trish – Your post brought back so many memories when you said you direct the church music. My father was the Pastor of my church when I lived in WVA, my sister played the piano for the church, and my three sisters and I did all the special singing. Love gospel music too!!!

Last edited by LindaD; 07-30-2007 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:10 PM   #409  
LindaD

Post #2

Lynn – I just read the Abs Diet book. It said to speed up metabolism you need to eat 5-6 times a day. They suggested eating at breakfast, lunch, and dinner at your regular time and to eat a snack 2 hours before lunch and dinner and the last snack 2 hours after dinner.
I don't usually weigh but once every two weeks. I get too obsessive about it. I would like to track my weight for a few weeks and see what's going on with me. Very good idea to see what’s working and what’s not. I’ve never heard of Diet Power. Is it a book or is it something you found on line?
My son rents a bedroom and bathroom from me and he purchases all his food. The cinamon rolls belonged to him. I don’t usually eat his food but sometimes he buys some good stuff. I guess when I opened the pantry to get a can of chicken broth I saw them sitting there and that's when I blacked out.
I saw my brother and his fiance’ at the family reunion I went to in Tennessee (Smokey Mountains) the end of May. I don’t see my family much because they live in Louisiana, South Carolina, Florida, and West Virginia. I have no family in CA except for my 28 year old son. The reunion was the first time I saw everyone in 3 years. We do talk on the phone a couple times a month though.
You’re doing the South Beach Diet too? You’re doing so well on your exercising program and congrats on the 1 pound loss!

Gary – I enjoy eating at Mimi’s. I meet a girlfriend there one day each month for breakfast. It’s on Lake Forest and I live off of Rockfield. I’m about ¼ mile away. My favorite is the baked fish or any of their breakfasts.
Another friend and I went to Interior Design School together. She lives in San Clemente and did her powder room in an ocean theme with seashells imprinted randomly on the walls. The walls are lightly textured and she taped thick stencils to the wall and filled in the stencil with drywall putty. Just before it dried she removed the stencils and it created the neatest seashell wall. Probably a lot easier to remove than your application, however, your wall is very pretty and would be a nice application on a bedroom I’m designing for a client.
What church do you go to? I just recently started going to Calvary in Rancho Santa Margarita. I went to Saddleback Church for 12 years and worked there as the Administrator of Maturity (Bible Studies, Retreats, Etc) for two years. I finally decided to find a church that taught a little more in depth studies instead of the surface-type sermons for the unsaved, which is what Saddleback is founded on.

Last edited by LindaD; 07-30-2007 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:21 PM   #410  
LindaD

Post #3

Lyn – I’m so glad you ‘let it all hang out’ at the concert and had a great time. It’s so nice to listen to bands that bring back the old days. Nothing beats the misic we used to listen to back then.

Cat – I just saved the salad receipe. It sounds soooooo good!!! Yum-Yum

JoAnne – Congratulations!!!! There’s nothing like a new baby to make us feel great. I’d love to see a picture of Owen. Glad work is over and have fun on your vacation.

Cuppa – Glad you jumped on board. You’ll love it here. Everyone is so helpful and nice too. An extra bonus!!! Congratulations on your wedding. 50 is the new 30….always remember that. Hope to see you posting and getting to know you better.

Meowee (Linda) – Sorry about your weather. Hopefully, you will have some pleasant days soon. My cat licks the ‘Shoo’ when I spray my furniture. I put double stick tape on the furniture and he peels it off with his teeth. I have to keep slip covers over my furniture because he will claw them if I ignore him. He’s rotten! Good luck with your babies.

Wunderbarpal: Glad you joined us! Is there a way you can keep the kitty? If you can’t please make sure it gets a good home. I’m sure you will love it here. Hope we can inspire as well as be inspired.

Phyllis – Wow 43.5 miles!!!! That’s great!!!

Okay, Phew!!!! Our GG's is getting big. A lot of activity. Fun, fun, fun! I like to meet new people. I'll have to check in more often because I was supposed to do my bills tonight and now I'm exhausted!! Have a cool, breezy, pleasant evening. NO MORE HOT WEATHER....NO MORE HOT WEATHER...NO MORE HOT WEATHER!!!!

Last edited by LindaD; 07-30-2007 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:49 PM   #411  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Hey LindaD ~ Too funny...the things we have in commom from your post! First of all the first time I ever heard of or ate at a Mimi's was when I dated a gal that lived in Lake Forest, and of course we ate at that one. Second, I spent my 4th-6th grade years living in San Clemente and in case I haven't mentioned it, I am in the drywall business (drywall putty comment) and I actually had another date with a girl that lived in Mission Viejo...we went to Saddleback Church for our first and only date. It was a long time ago, about 14 years I would say...maybe a little more...same as the Mimi's date. When we went to Saddleback it service was still in a tent...a big huge nice tent mind you...but a tent. There was still a lot of people there.

Angie and I go to a church in Vista. Faith Lutheran Church, it is a Lutheran Missouri Synod church. If you are looking for the "meat and potatoes" you will find it there. We have two 4,000+ churches in our city here...great places I am sure but...kind of what you mentioned about Saddleback, from what I hear. I have been going to my church for almost 25 years now, my kids were both baptised as infants there, my son was married there, my daughter was married by her (my ex-brother in law) uncle, a Missouri Synod pastor. They went from pre-school through 8th grade there. It is our home. I feel so blessed to be there. We have had the same pastor for 35 years and LOVE him!

I haven't been into Rancho Santa Margarita for awhile, I did the drywall on the a Ford dealer there about 10? years ago.

I have never been to Mimi's for breakfast, maybe we will try it sometime. We have a friend that owns a cafe...the best breakfasts for the price in our area...we hate to go somewhere else...we feel like "cheaters"

We watch all the designer shows on TV ~ when is yours on?

Nice meeting you Linda ~ Prayers for you, Gary
Old 07-31-2007, 08:04 AM   #412  
lynard

S/C/G: 214/206/180

Height: 5'9"

Smile Tuesday morning

Hi all,

Looks like I missed a birthday yesterday. Happy Birthday, Trish.

Paula, You made my morning with that article and video. I cried during the video – your SIL is one terrific lady and has obviously found joy in her life with her daughter. Thanks so very much for sharing.

Not much to report today – except I lost 0.4 pounds at the TOPs weigh-in yesterday. Woopie. Slowly and surely as the turtle says…

Lyn
Old 07-31-2007, 08:23 AM   #413  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Sara Lee recalls bread because of metal pieces

Reuters Health

Friday, July 27, 2007

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Sara Lee Corp. is recalling bread sold under EarthGrains, Sara Lee Delightful Wheat and several other brands because the loaves may contain small pieces of metal, the company said.

In a news release on the U.S. Food and Drug Administration Web site dated Thursday, Sara Lee said the bread subject to recall is sold in Mississippi and Alabama, most of Arkansas, far southeastern Missouri, western Georgia, southwestern Tennessee, southeastern Louisiana and the panhandle of Florida.

The packages are stamped with "best if purchased by" dates of July 25, 2007 through Aug. 7, 2007 and include the code "222." The bread was produced at the company's Meridian, Mississippi, bakery.

The bread should not be consumed and should be returned to the store where it was purchased for a full refund, Sara Lee said.

A Sara Lee spokesman could not be reached for further comment.

A list of the affected brands is available in the press release at http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/saralee07_07.html
Old 07-31-2007, 08:47 AM   #414  

S/C/G: 184/see ticker/130

Height: 5 ft.

Ain't it the Truth!!!A woman goes to the doctor for her yearly physical.
The nurse starts with certain basic items.
"How much do you weigh?" she asks.

"
115," she says.
The nurse puts her on the scale.
It turns out her weight is 140.
The nurse asks, "Your height?"
"5 foot 8," she says.
The nurse checks and sees that she only measures 5' 5".

She then takes her blood pressure
And tells the woman it is very high.
"Of course it's high!" she screams,
"When I came in here I was tall and slender!

Now I'm short and fat!"

Flour and Water
How come when you mix water and flour together
you get glue?..
and then you add eggs
and sugar...

and you get cake?

Where did the glue go ?

NEED AN ANSWER?

You know darned well where it went!
That's what makes the cake
Stick to your BUTT

We all need a good laugh, keep on smiling

Last edited by littlered; 07-31-2007 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:49 AM   #415  

S/C/G: 184/see ticker/130

Height: 5 ft.

Good morning
I am going to try to catch up some on reading your post.
First, Welcome to all of the new golden oldies.

Lyn,
I am glad you had such a fun time at the concert. I would have had to get up and move too.

Cat,
that Caprese salad sounds good. I think I might try it…but first I want to broil the cheese and tomatoes. mmm.

Zoe,
How are the test going. Girl, I don’t envy you. been there. hope everything comes out with great results.
Wow, that trip in your car sounds like it was exhausting! Glad I wasn’t driving. That’s the kind of weather, hubby turns off the radio and says DON’T TALK till we get there. 40 minutes. I don’t think I could have been quite that long.

Phyllis,
I see you are doing the Oxysize tapes…What benefit do you see from Breathing different? Sounds kind of strange

Paula,
Are we sending the post cards to your Dad, via your house or direct? Sounds like he is doing better. I am glad to hear he can walk. He is doing so good.
I am see you are already having a good season with your sewing. It sounds like a busy fall for you.

Karen,
That’s one nice looking family. I hope they stay connected and get to really know each other.
How is the chance for the job at walmart? sounds fun.

Lynn,
I like your weight tracking…it really shows how well you have been doing.
Me, I am just maintaining right now. Until I get the ok to exercise again.
Still trying to keep busy though. (And counting my calories too.) Like mowing the yard, etc.
Think that my hip started hurting after I used a piece of equipment at Curves…a little to much. The one that does the scissor movement. Just dawned on me this morning. I have to remember that is a week spot in my family. My son and his daughter seem to have the same problem.
My son started having that problem as a baby. Oh, the things we inherit!
I am getting on the treadmill later. That shouldn’t hurt I hope.
I just checked out the Weight Commander. What a nice program. I am going to start using it daily.
We also eat the Birdseye steamer fresh veggies, with the Smart Balance, No salt. I hardly ever salt my food nowadays. I love the Steamfresh bags. Just right for me. sometimes I eat the whole bag at once. If its broc/cauliflower.

Gary,
that is an interesting wall! My son would just love it. What was mixed in the sand to stick to the walls and hold a shell?

Cuppajoe,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY. I see you changed your pic. Its lovely. I did like the little dog too. I showed it to my hubby. He wants to know what kind of dog that is. Sounds like you are a very busy lady!
You keep chasing around that little one and you should really loose the weight. When do you expect to get your little one?

Well time sure fly’s here,
have to get out the door in 5 min.
later.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:53 AM   #416  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Oh . . . another hot and steamy day . . . it's beginning to wear me down. Actually I didn't sleep well last night and I don't think it was weather-related but nevertheless I woke up in bad humour and with a very sore back and then found some more "kitten-sprinkled" spots to add to the fun. Have to go out and get another can of SHOO. It actually seems to work for keeping them off stuff. Trouble is, I can't stand the smell either so it keeps me off the furniture too.

Anyway . . . nothing much else is happening around here . . . have a good day GANG . . . see you later.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:07 PM   #417  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Just zooming past again to wish everyone a great day...I'm snowed under in work. Took a little break to go rake around my rose bushes before it starts storming again and now I have to get back to work..pictures to add on a site for one client, and text changes for 2 clients and making a new template for a third. Calgon, Please..
Hope to catch up on reading all posts soon.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:36 PM   #418  
How Bad do you want it?

S/C/G: 140/135.5/120

Height: 5'1"

Hi,

Many thanks for the generous Welcome! I spent since Sunday taking it easy after pulling something in my back--lifting my 20# Godson off the floor exactly the WRONG way. But today I was back on the exercise bike [still avoiding weight lifting of course!].

I've got all my food packed for the day at work and a new eating schedule to try [working 2nd shift has had its challenges when I get off work and have to drive past the Late Nite Drive Thrus famished].

For those who asked--our son is coming from Guatemala, we have spent a week with him there this spring, and he will be One Year Old on Friday. We're praying to get him home before Christmas--thank the bureaucrats for it taking SO long, we've been at this since last September! There's a pic of his darling self below:

cuppa

Last edited by cuppajoe; 07-31-2007 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:17 PM   #419  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Oh wow CUPPA . . . he is just so sweet, I want to gobble him right up . . . you must be going crazy waiting to see him, and hold him, and love him. Hope he's with you really soon . . .

BTW, your comment about the late-night drive-thru reminded me of a little gem sitting in my e:mail . . . actually aimed at diabetics, but of interest to everybody because it lists some of the better for you choices at some of the major fast-food chains . . . http://www.dlife.com/dLife/do/ShowCo...e_through.html . . . I'll go put it in the little Sticky file too, so it's around for future reference.

SDefinitely sounds like life is keeping you pretty busy right now CAT. Hang in there, girl . . .

Have a good afternoon, GG, see you later . . .
Old 07-31-2007, 05:32 PM   #420  

Hi Everyone thanks for the warm welcome!

Cuppajoe, I love the photo of your ds! I do hope he arrives before Christmas, that would be a wonderful present!

littlered, I love the jokes

meowee, the weather's hot here in B.C. We have lots of forest fires happening nearby.

I've been waiting 2 months for a C.A.T., yesterday I happened to be at the hospital for a mammogram, while there & went to the booking dept. to see what the hold up was & they booked it for tomorrow afternoon. I guess that it pays to show your face, you get better results.

I hope you all have a great week!
Closed Thread