Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 08:17 AM   #226  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Default Wednesday

Good Morning Everyone,

Hi Cat, you wrote, "Looks like I have a couple of hours of work ahead of me that I need to get busy with, then maybe I can have the afternoon off. hope so, but I never know what the next email will bring." I'm sure you probably already told us, but do you work at home? What kind of work do you do?

Hi Bobbi, hope the move goes smoothly.

Hi Joanne, last night my df and I went to the new gym. We stayed in the pools (one is cooler & bigger, one is warmer & smaller) for almost 2 hours. They have these long styrofoam things called "noodles." When we move to the warm pool, we just float around on our noodles. Attached is a photo of my df and me with our noodles at the gym - it was taken a couple of years ago.

Hi Zoe, CONGRATULATIONS on your NSV - wearing a sleeveless blouse! I'm glad the bicycling website worked & was motivational.

Hi Theresa, I LOVED the descriptions of "MOM" by the 2nd graders. I laughed out loud at a couple of those. I RARELY forward emails, but I had to send that one to a bunch of folks. Yes, I am a "doctor" - but not the kind that cures people. I have a doctorate in education. I'm getting REALLY close to you - but, you're still ahead of me by several noses.

Hi Paula, the depression is actually a physical affect of the stroke. I did a lot of reading about it after my dh had his stroke - people on antidepressants after a stroke actually live longer than those who are not. My df - the one I go scrapping with - must get hers adjusted about once a year. Usually, one of her daughters or I notice she's getting depressed & send her to the doctor. She had a stroke about 10 years ago.

Hi Piano, what's your name? CONGRATULATIONS on your promotion. Next time take fruit to your meeting.

Today is rainy, but I'm going scrapping (actually, card-making) so I don't care. This evening when I get home, I'll go to my new gym.

Hope we all have a Happy and Healthy day,

Lynn

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 04-07-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:50 AM   #227  

S/C/G: 188/176/150

Height: 5'4"

It rained off and on all day yesterday. We have a 50% chance of rain again today. It's very humid this morning.

I'm going to the nursing home today to talk to the PT and the Activities director. I want to make sure they PT is working with my dad and that he is included in the activities. Dad said something about not being able to do anything because of the IV. It seems like he's spending all his time in bed again. He's not going to get better doing that. Looks like I'm going to have to put my foot down and let them know what I expect.

Lynn- Glad the test wasn't too bad.

OK I'm off to get my shower. I have to work on these dresses before my daughter gets here to go to see dad.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:12 AM   #228  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyinweighting View Post
Good Morning Everyone,

Hi Cat, you wrote, "Looks like I have a couple of hours of work ahead of me ... What kind of work do you do?
Lynn, I have a web design/graphic design business (been doing it about 7 years now) I also teach during the school year. I teach computer lab...I have 300 students..all kindergarten. I taught "regular" kindergarden for years and the school where I taught called me back about 4 years ago to see if I wanted the job..it's only 1/2 day..5 classes a day and I really love it. The kids LOVE computer lab so very few dicipline problems and I don't have to deal with parents! It's great cause I can still work at home in the afternoons. Sometimes the design stuff is kind of stressful if I get a rush of stuff to do all at the same time and I usually work 7 days a week, but I do like it. Sometimes it's hard to be "creative" under pressure!

Love your "noodle" picture and I can see that it's working!! And also happy that the test was not as bad as you thought it would be..

Hope everyone has a great day. My husband is off for the next 3 days, so we might go try to find something fun to do in the afternoons if I don't get slammed with a lot of work. Heading to the gym in just a bit, then to produce market..oh, and i got a a stabilty ball yesterday that I ordered that I plan to work with on the days that I don't go to the gym. Not crazy about the dvd, so I'm trying to find one that is more of a "class".
Old 07-18-2007, 11:16 AM   #229  
Joanne

S/C/G: 267/250/170

Height: 5'7"

Hi everyone -- not much going on here in my little life LOL. Actually I am trying to eat more iron right now -- I have an appointment tomorrow to donate blood and last time I was declined because my iron was too low. Turns out my diet and extra exercise was depleting me -- so for this week I am upping my iron. Last night I made a bean salad and forced myself to have some for dinner -- oh I like it but I wasn't hungry. LOL can't believe I actually typed "I wasn't hungry". But I had made a carrot and potato soup and had a bowl of that and it filled me up. I was cleaning out some stuff and had a bunch of baby carrots I was going to throw out, they were edible but woody not sweet. So I threw two potatos in the pot and an onion -- bit of chicken stock and some seasonings. I blended it into a creamy soup -- no butter no milk -- and it was really filling.

Zoe -- way too late for me to work with your children - sounds like you did an awesome job already -- by yourself many years ago -- 4 times over !!!! Congrats on the sleeveless top -- I admit to wearing them when I have to -- just always glad to put a longer sleeved top on whenever I get a chance. But sometimes the weather just doesn't allow for us to stay bundled up. Now me and shorts are not on speaking terms -- ever!!! LOL

Bobbi - thanks for the giggles

Paula -- sorry your dad is having a tough transistion, but Lynn explained it very well. Its also very normal for our seniors to be depressed when they first move into a "home" -- soon enough they are more comfortable there than anywhere else.

Theresa -- good luck at the doctors. Nothing wrong with having the tiny piece -- usually prevents us from scarfing down the larger piece later.

Linda -- Hi and I hope your computer problems are solved.

Piano -- congrats on the promotion

Lynn -- so glad the ultrasound went well. Love you and your noodle LOL. Does your gym offer any deep fit aqua classes? I used to take that class on Sunday mornings -- loved it. We wore bouyancy thingys around our ankles and did the aquafit class -- you had to work twice as hard trying to keep your legs underwater - -it was a hoot when you forgot and almost got dumped upside down -- legs up -- head down. Anyway its a great workout and come this fall I most likely will go again Sunday mornings.

Cat -- I LOVE my stability ball. I bought the 10 Minute Solution DVD. It comes with 5 10 minute exercises and you can program the DVD to play whatever you select and in what order -- rather cool. Its a great workout!!!
Old 07-18-2007, 12:51 PM   #230  
lynard

S/C/G: 214/206/180

Height: 5'9"

Smile Happy Wednesday!

Just checking in for the day. So far cloudy and humid here…we’re getting the weather you had yesterday,, Paula. I did manage to sneak out of the office between 9 and 10 for a walk around the pond. I have a meeting at 1 so I’ll sneak out again for an afternoon jaunt. We’re having unexpected company tonite, so I’ll have to actually go home and cook something like a real supper. Usually I eat my big meal at lunch and have a salad or sandwich at dinner.

Lynn – so happy the test wasn’t too bad. When will you know the results? Still thinking positive thoughts your way. Love the noodle photo.

Cat- hope you can have some relaxing afternoons with your DH. I'd love to have a job like yours - with the kids - sounds terrific.

Bobbi – Thanks for the laughs.

Zoe – Wow! 23 pounds down and sleeveless. Congratulations!

Paula – Yes depression can be the pits. Very frustrating for loved ones who want to make the other person feel better, but it is a chemical condition in the brain and medication definitely helps. It should improve with time. Hang in there and just keep up your great loving support.

Piano – Just what is a “granny roll?” Are they sinfully good?

Theresa, You know, I tend to go to bed earlier in the summer too. I don’t’ know what it is…maybe because there is nothing decent on tv, or I’m just more tired. Don’t fret about the cake. Moderation is the key.

Meowee – polishing your shoes with banana peels? I’ll have to try it…but I may smell like bananas all day!

Well, 10 minuters until meeting time. Lunch is over.

Bye for now…

Lyn
Old 07-18-2007, 03:18 PM   #231  

S/C/G: 184/see ticker/130

Height: 5 ft.

Hi,
Just finished feeding my hubby lunch before we both take off to work, And Thought I would say hello.

I went to Curves, and The Dr, today.
I brought up the hormone problems and my back.

We also talked about my cholesteral numbers, etc.

I am starting a hormone cream tonight. I am hoping that it helps with all those very personal problems, that mom never did tell me about.

And On Friday, I have MRI.
To see why I am hurting. I won’t be going to the Chiropractor.
The insurance does not cover it.

My cholesteral, and triglycerides did go up, Since I went off my meds for Triglycerides.
But the dr was not worried about them. He says that I am doing everything right and he was pleased with all of my weight loss. To keep that up. But I am going to try lowering my carbs, As he said that high carb counts of any kind turn to high triglycerides.

Less of that whole wheat bread I love, Maybe more proteins?? I guess I need to read up on lowering carbs.

Lynn,
I just received the sweetest card I have for a while.
Thanks, I love the 3 dimensional affects and Love the flowers, they look like cherry blossoms.
Now I see what all you work creates. I need to take up this art.
I am so glad to here your ultrasound went well.
Love the pic of you at the pool. Looks fun.

Bobby,
I am thinking of you, and your family today. Good luck with your move.

Paula,
When I get old, I hope my kids are there like you are for your dad. What a wonderful girl you are.

Cat,
Wish you were closer, I would take your class. I do really like working on computers, Inside and out.
It sounds like I have made such a intelligent bunch of new friends here. Makes me realize, I need more schooling myself.

Joanne,
Not hungry! Isn’t it wonderful? I like eating homemade soup too. In fact I just ate some (Bobby’s recipe)
with a Crab sandwich wrap (Lynn’s recipe minus the bacon) Yummy. These are my 2 new favorites. ( had them yesterday too).

Ugh! its time to run. And I have run out of time writing to all of you. I find myself doing that a lot, lately.
I will be back later.
hugs to all.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:58 PM   #232  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjay55 View Post

Cat -- I LOVE my stability ball. I bought the 10 Minute Solution DVD. It comes with 5 10 minute exercises and you can program the DVD to play whatever you select and in what order -- rather cool. Its a great workout!!!
Thanks so much...that's exactly what I was looking for! The ball I got has "handles" with resistant thingys on the side with 2 other balls attached to it. I really like it and the dvd is ok, but I want someone to yell at me and tell me what to do while I'm doing it!
Old 07-18-2007, 04:58 PM   #233  
Lifetime Loser

Cat you are too funny, you WANT someone to yell at you! Good luck with the ball, they are great. I did them at Curves but don't have room in the condo for one. I think I would love to work with the kindergarten age too....how great you do the class, sounds like fun.

Love the noodle photo Lynn.....very cute. Glad your swimming it is great exercise, I'm going in the morning.

Zoe, can't remember the last time I wore a sleeveless top in public.....I wear them at home as living in Fl. it is much cooler that way....hey maybe one day I'll do it. Congrats. Your my hero!

Bobbi we visited my dh's mother in her assisted living yesterday and she loves it there, she is keeping real busy and making lots of friends....it's all in the attitude they have and she is pretty healthy so that helps....thinking of you.

Paula, most people don't like change and it is harder on the older ones. Hopefully when he gets to know a few that work their he will start feeling better......we need to send Theresa there!!!!

Theresa, good luch with the MRI....I hate those, they have to knock me out. Let us know how it goes.

Lyn, nice you get out during the day and walk I bet it makes working a lot easier and reduces stress!

We had a nice trip to Orlando yesterday, HOT.....but checked out the time share we will be staying at in Oct....Beautiful! Had lunch and dinner out, was very good until dinner when I had 2 glasses of wine!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Working that off today.....

Phyllis
Old 07-18-2007, 05:46 PM   #234  

S/C/G: 237/238/165

Height: 5 feet 7

Hi, everyone.

I'll go back and read the posts for today.

Lynn and others: My name is Latricia. All my friends call me Trish---you can too!

You're also right that I should have taken fruit to the meeting! I told them that they should get too used to me bringing food 'cause I have tuition to pay next month!!! <smile>

Can someone tell me how to get the emotions into your postings?????

Do you like my signature? Tomorrow is weigh in. I'm going to edit it tomorrow (the power of positive thinking!!!)
Old 07-18-2007, 05:49 PM   #235  

S/C/G: 237/238/165

Height: 5 feet 7

Lyn,

Granny rolls are the kind of sweet rolls that my grandmother and mom made. Topped with nutmeg, cinnamin, pecans and icing. I should not have eaten but a half of one.....I'm sorry to do that to the rest of my friends but she DID ask.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:24 PM   #236  
Moxiesd

S/C/G: 235/175/155

Height: 5'2"

Hello GG's

Thank you for the support...hopefully the rest of the month will be less dumpy!

I decided to apply for a passport today....thought I was all ready, took it to the postoffice with birthcertificate and drivers license....and then..... they didn't like the birthcertificate....turns out it wasn't mine, it was my sons! So now I get to return another time!

I've been cleaning cupboards....the ones that you never see, never visit, and never remember whats up there. Can't believe what jewels I found. lol
I came across a very old recipe filing box that contained some of my favorite recipes from years gone by. It was a lot of fun revisiting the recipes, and some of them I was actually wondering how to find new copies of! (Guess that was my fun for today!)
Finally decided to tackle the spice section....cannot believe how many spices I have....but they are all alphabetized now, and ready to go to work.

Happy Birthday Theresa.

A special hug to the GG's.....you are so supportive.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:49 PM   #237  

S/C/G: 188/176/150

Height: 5'4"

Lynn- I've done research on stokes too. That's why I can't understand why it was so hard to get that STUPID dr to prescribe the antidepressant to begin with. I'm so glad we finally got rid of him since they moved my dad.
I loved your photo. I couldn't get past looking at those BRIGHT green noodles you and your friend were holding. There's no losing you 2 in the pool that's for sure! LOL

Trish- If you go to the bottom of the page and click on the word smilies you will see a lot of emotions. Just copy and paste the one you want in you message and it should appear when you submit.

This is what I did today:

My daughter and I went to the nursing home and talked to the director about his therapy. She said she just got permission to extend all his therapy to 30 minutes instead of 15. He had just finished working with the PT when we got there. She came in and talked to us. She said it's hard sometimes to get my dad awake. She's going to start trying in the afternoon.

We got permission to take my dad outside. They put him in a recliner style chair and we wheeled him out to the patio. There is no grass at the home and we ended up looking out at the parking lot, but at least it was getting him some fresh air which he hasn't had since the stroke except for the ambulance transfer last week. There was a little kitty ( looked like a kitten) that must have had kittens of her own there. She was a friendly little thing. We put her on my dad's lap and he pet her. When we took him back inside the PT asked how he liked being outside. He said "I loved it" That made it all worth it.

The RT said she would like to start using a plug on the trach to see how he does. She said they have had a good rate of getting the patients off the trach and eating again. That is my greatest gaol for him. If they can get him to eat real food I know he will recover the rest of the way. He loved to eat and I know that is one thing that he is down about.

We then talked to the Activities Director. She said she would try harder to get my dad more involved. She says she stops in everyday to see if he would like to join them. He always says no. I circled some things I think he might enjoy so maybe he will go to something.

Before we left the Social Worker talked to us about my dad's depression. He showed us the results of the questions he asked him. He said some of the answers worried him. He's going to ask him the questions again in a few weeks.

When I got home I made the fresh green beans. My hubby grilled pork chops. What a yummy dinner. I even made some sangria. I know I shouldn't have, but it sure was tasty. I put a bunch of fresh fruit and fresh squeezed juice in some Merlot and let it marinade for a little while.

Last edited by grammpaula; 07-18-2007 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:55 PM   #238  

S/C/G: 148/146/124(edited goal)

Height: 4' 11"

Hello GG's,
I have had a hard time getting on lately and I dare not use my work computer for personal web browsing. Must be a lot of web activity in the evenings cause sometimes the site won't even load.

Theresa, both Lynn and I are on a low-carb plan. You might want to try eliminating all carbs except vegetables. You can do this for about two to three weeks to get rid of the carb cravings before adding back low carb items. I usually get my carbs from salads, green beans, peas, broccoli and other fresh or cooked vegetables. No carrots and no corn or potatoes. Lynn might have some other suggestions.

Hello to the new GGs and congrats to those who should be shouting to the rooftops their losses for the week or month.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:49 AM   #239  

Default !!! Happy Birthday Theresa !!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY THERESA!!!
Old 07-19-2007, 12:56 AM   #240  

Good Almost Morning Everyone,

I can't sleep. I figured I'd come talk to the GG's instead of grazing. My BS monitor broke so I feel like I should sneak in some carbs while it's not able to show me the damage - only kidding (well, only half-kidding anyway).

Hi Paula, do you think your father would like to receive cards from the Golden Girls? Why don't you email his name/address to us & we'll each send him a card.

Hi Cat, now I do remember your telling us that you taught computers to little ones. Thank you for reminding me. I had one of those balls after my back surgery. I was moving into a condo from an apartment at the time & had to go to a motel for a night during the move. We walked into the hotel - me being white, 5'2", and in a full back cast - and Donald being black and 6'7" and carrying my ball! I always wondered what the registration clerk told his wife that night.

Hi Joanne, my gym has loads of classes - I just want to start out slowly. One of the reasons I quit this gym last time was bc I hurt myself. The other gym that I have been going to for the last 8 months did everything VERY slowly - I never got hurt. I think I will start out with the hydro-pool for arthritis & see where I want to go from there.

Hi Lyn, I go to the GYN doctor on Friday. I'm not sure he'll know much more - maybe just next steps. I don't think anyone can really know anything unless they do a biopsy. With any luck, maybe he'll tell me on Friday that I don't need a biopsy.

Hi Theresa, the carbs that you need to avoid the most are white bread/rice/pasta/potatoes, cereals, sweets, fruit, and dairy. To get some of this food into my diet, I eat lo-carb bread (both Pepperidge Farms and Arnolds makes this), lo-carb yogurt (Dannon makes this), and stick a few berries into my protein drink. NOTE: if you drink protein drinks, remember that the milk has carbs & be sure to check the carbs in the protein drink. You should try to keep below 40-45 grams of carbs/meal.

Hi Phyllis, Glad to hear you had a good visit & trip to Orlando. Glad the time share is nice. What kind of wine do you like to drink? When we went to France, my daughter and I started drinking Gerwutztraminer (from Alsace region). It's really sweet - we love it.

Hi Trish, about getting emoticons into your messages -

Strategy 1 (Using 3FC emoticons) - Click on the Advanced button under where you write your message - on the right, you will see several smiley guys - keeping your cursor on the place in your message where you want the smiley to appear, click on one of the smileys - you can check to see how it looks by clicking on the button below that says "preview post."
You can also click on the little [More] under the smileys - this will get you to a bunch more graphics - just click on what you want and it will appear in your post. When you have it how you want it, just click on "submit reply."

Strategy 2 (Using other emoticons) - in the regular window where you write your message, click on the little yellow rectangular icon that looks like it has a mountain in it, the box that pops up gives you a window where you need to add the URL of the graphic you want to use. If you go to an internet site with graphics (many have free graphics), and right click on the graphic, you will see the word "properties" - click on it - now you will see the URL for that graphic. NOTE: the http:// is already in the window - when you copy the URL of the graphic, don't copy the initial http://

Hi Lily, is your ticker representing July's loss? I figure I'm losing around 3 lbs/month. I generally eat around 1200 Calories/day - although I've been down as low as 800 and up as high as 1400. I just don't want to eat so little losing the weight that I have to continue to eat that little to maintain it.

OK - maybe I can get to sleep now.

Be back to check on you in the morning,

Lynn
Closed Thread