Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 10:46 AM   #361  

S/C/G: 188/176/150

Height: 5'4"

Yes Gary they are my scout. The 2 older grandsons (14 & 12) and my son-in-law have been camping since Sunday. It's rained almost, if not, every day since they left. The baby (6) will be having his first camp out soon. He just joined the cub scouts. He's so excited. He's been asking about joining since he started kindergarten last year.

BB Dick is a piece of work. When he was doing that last night I looked at my hubby and said " Is he farting"? He has such talents.

I did a little gardening this morning. I cut the dead heads off the daisies and some of the other stuff I've been neglecting. I checked on my tomatoes. I was hoping that they would learn from my preaching last night. I told them that they couldn't let Margaret's tomatoes stay in the lead, but they just didn't listen. They are still VERY GREEN!!! They will all ripen at the same time and then I'll be scrambling to eat them all. My hubby doesn't like tomatoes. How dare he???

OK, I'm off to sew the whale costumes. I had a girl asking about the banana bunting last night. Look like Halloween season has arrived.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:27 AM   #362  
lynard

S/C/G: 214/206/180

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up It's Friday!!!

Hi all you GGs – Happy Friday!

Oh no, Paula, I hope the rain in Ohio doesn’t get here too soon. The Moody Blues Concert is outdoors. We hope to pack an elegant picnic supper. But if it rains it will be ugly. We had some great storms last night – (they hit just after I got off the last hole of golf), but more are on the way. Sounds like you had a very nice anniversary day at the garden place. I know what you mean about coming home and wishing like magic your backyard could be transformed.

I just walked my 4 miles – wanted to get it in before the weather changed. It’s hot and muggy.

Gary – thanks for the great photos. I love pictures..those were great shots of the volleyball game. You look pretty relaxed there going over the finish line of the 5k.

Moxie – I’m jealous of your ripe tomato too. Mine are still very small and green. This is the first year I’ve grown them in the back yard and we do have a black walnut tree in the way back so I’m hoping they do ok. I’ve hear black walnuts and tomatoes are not very good friends!

Zoe – I’m adding to my best wishes for your tests results. Keep us posted (I know you will)

Karen – Good luck on your house selling. We have a house with 2 apts and are showing one apt this weekend. My DH decided he wanted to try and be a landlord about 12 years ago and with him in Corning during the week, a lot of the day –to-day stuff falls to me. Personally, I can’t wait to sell it. Also great news about your grandkids and mini-reuinon.

Hey Piano – don’t sweat the small gain. Like you said it may actually have been a loss.

Cat – Feel better and good luck with all those chores. It feels so good when they’re done. Good for you for working out.

LindaD – Great news on the work offer. Like others said, they must value your work.

Well, slow day at work for me. I came in early – even had to turn on the lights here – so I could leave around 3.

Have a GREAT WEEKEND everyone. Eat wisely too.

Lyn
Old 07-27-2007, 05:28 PM   #363  
LindaD

S/C/G: 220/194/145

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by femmecreole View Post
Caprese Salad is sliced tomatos with mozzarella slices, olive oil and fresh basil...but I do it a little differently.

I don't use large slices of mozzarella...I just used grated mozzarella. Instead of just olive oil, I make a vinegarette out of garlic paste, salt and ground pepper, balsamic vinegar and sometimes a little dijon mustard and/or italian seasoning..whatever I have on hand and am in the mood for...
you an also 'stack" the tomato slices and mozzerella and basil like a big "sandwich" ..then drizzle the dressing over it..
It is very light and very refreshing. You can use dried basil, but the fresh gives it such a great taste.
HELLO GG'S:

Cat: Yum, this sounds so good I'm going to make it this weekend. It's similar to bruschetta but without the bread.

Z: I hope your tests come back okay. I don't like tests. Yuk!

Gary: You're just down the freeway from me. Almost within shouting distance. The pictures are good. Boy, what a muddy mess. Your wife runs in that? It's fun?

Okay, the scale is just sitting there and not moving. I only weigh every couple weeks. You would think it would show some kind of loss. Maybe it's because one day this week I was walking through the kitchen and someone shoved a cinamon roll down my throat. I think I must have blacked out for a minute or something because when I realized I was on a diet and the cinamon roll belonged to my son, it was already in my stomach and moving into my hips......hmmmm?

The move went well today and I'm now settled in my new office. Great going with the weight loss everyone. Every little bit counts. Got to exercise so I'll talk to you soon.

Last edited by LindaD; 07-27-2007 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:53 PM   #364  
Lifetime Loser

Hi y'all...........

Welcome Gary you and your wife sound like busy people....nice to see the photos.

Linda D., wow I love cin. rolls. One would diffently jump in my hands if they were in my house! lol Glad your office move went well.

Zoe, good luck with the tests, I am happy to see you are doing them! My scales were up 1 lb. this a.m. and I know it has to be water weight but makes me so MAD. I did a physically hard 2mile VERY brisk walk with my dvd yesterday and you would think I would have at least stayed the same as no more calories were added!!!!!!!!!

Lily, the Oxysize is a 15 min. tape of deep breathing exercises. She has a web site. It is little hard to get the hang of it at first but hey if I can do it anyone can. lol

Paula I hope your Dad received my card. I sent the one with kittens because you said he enjoyed that cat so much when he was outside. Wow, I guess your busy season is kicking in already....I can barly sew a straight line.

Lyn, I sure hope the concert doesn't get rained out. I can't wait to hear all about it, your picnic sounds fun.

Karen, Hope it goes well with selling the house. Things are moving so slow here in Florida that when we put our condo on the market after the first of the year we have no idea how long it will take it to sell, makes looking for a new place in Ohio harder as we can't afford 2 places at the same time.

Thersea, I do consider what you do a career....your helping so many people my dear, you should be very proud. Take care of that back.

Need to get dinner on........everyone have a good weekend.

Phyllis
Old 07-27-2007, 07:36 PM   #365  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hello All!!!!

Well, I had a Wonderful afternoon!! We all got together at McDonalds and YES I ate too much but the company was just great!! The kids had never met each other EVER and we hadn't seen Travis and Brandon in about 10 or 11 years. So this was just a FANTASTIC get together!!

The first picture is of Tim and myself, Dani and her two kids, Jade and TJ and Chris and her 4 boys Travis, Brandon, Caleb and Evan.

The second picture is of Tim and myself, Jade, TJ, Travis and Brandon our 4 grandkids. BUT after today we are also claiming Caleb and Evan!!!

And the last picture is myself and Dani and Chris, The 2 Moms!! Everybody got along great and the kids are all so happy to know the other kids now. We are hoping to get together for a BIG cookout before too long and get all the families together.

I haven't taken the time yet to read any of the posts but I will come back in a bit and see what has been going on with everyone today.. I was just too Happy and had to get these pictures on the computer so I could share with everyone.

I'll Be Back Later..... Karen

Last edited by Karen31; 06-08-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:49 PM   #366  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Oh, my dearest, darlingest Golden Girls! No need whatsoever for concern about my silly little X-rays! This “pinched nerve” or whatever the devil it is in my leg has been there for a long time, and I’ve pretty much adjusted to it (bike riding instead of walking or jogging, short, strategic shopping trips (I’m a list-maker!) and life is just peachy! I will NOT have surgery, and I simply don’t have the time or the inclination to get physical therapy, so the X-rays are nothing more than a concession to my doctor, who threatens to discharge me as a patient if I don’t follow through with her recommendations. (I had the dreaded mammogram LAST year (Omigawd! Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!) so I have no plans to subject myself to that again anytime soon. The Pap smear...well, that was done last year, too, so I’m gonna slide on that one for the time being, as well. As far as the CHEST X-ray, I’d be a lot more worried about that if I’d had one five or six months ago - all that huffing and puffing on stairs and such, but now I have no trouble breathing whatsoever. Generally speaking, I am in good health - and even better health since I made these rather HUGE lifestyle changes of mine - the nutritious high fiber/low cal eating, the exercise when I wasn’t getting any at all before. But, having said all of that, can I tell you that just your expressions of concern really made me feel cared about - and I appreciate it SO much.
Thanks for the good vibes, Trish...I’m sending them right back to you.
Weaker, EZ? Hmmm. I’ll have to think about that one. I’ll get back to you on it, okay?
Moxie? Fresh tomatoes from the garden? <perk> Ohhhhh. Such lovely memories! I swear when we retire - WHEREVER we retire - I’m going to grow some tomatoes if I don’t grow another bloody thing!
Lyn, I’m hoping my hardest for good weather for your concert and “elegant” picnic (It sounds sooo nice!) even though I’m horribly jealous!
LindaD! I laughed out loud when I read about your unconscious inhalation of a cinnamon roll.....omiGAWD, woman! All I can say is it’s lucky I hadn’t just taken a gulp of my iced tea, ‘cuz it would’ve been all over my keyboard! I think I’ve had those kinds of black-outs too, actually. With some degree of regularity, too. I’ve got many an unconscious muffin or cookie (multiples) sitting on MY hips.
Yes, Phyllis...ask Jo-annie...the scale is NOT our friend! In MY opinion, we place FAR too much importance on what it says, and after all, what does IT know? It’s a piece of freaking metal with some springs and frinkledoodles and coils and like that...It can’t THINK! It’s a stupid inanimate object! And we act like it’s a GOD or something...or at least the wizard of Oz, and look at what HE turned out to be! I say we should BOYCOTT these rotten-to-the-core devices of mental torture and anguish! (I might weigh myself tomorrow, though. I’m feeling lucky. )
Karen? Updates on the grandkids, please!
And where might YOU be, Lynn? (off gallivanting, no doubt.) Check in soon, m’dear!
Theresa? Feeling okay? I hope your getting some relief from that pain!
And, to all other Golden Girlies, wherever you are....good night, sweet dreams, and I hope it’s cooler where you are than where I am! (90 degrees and too stinking humid! It’s another AC night, and I hate sleeping with the AC on!) If I weren’t so old and tired, I’d fit every name into every post, but tonight I’m yearning for my nice comfy bed and cannot write another word.

TTFN,
Z
Old 07-27-2007, 08:54 PM   #367  
Ellabella

Karen! What great pictures! What A beautiful family!
Old 07-27-2007, 09:25 PM   #368  

S/C/G: 188/176/150

It rained hard again this evening. We were gone visiting my dad. We must have had winds with the rain, because the windows on all sides of the house are wet. The windows in the front were open and the spare bed is wet. Good thing the kids are gone camping and visiting the in-law gps.

Phyllis- I'm sorry, I thought I told you that he got the card from you and Lynn. I read them to him and reminded him that you were my internet friends. I'm putting all his cards on the dresser in his room.

Karen- I'm so glad the meeting went well. Everyone looked happy.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:46 AM   #369  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Default Fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiesd View Post
Lynn: I'm surprised that your diet is about 50 percent fat. Tell me in what ways you use the fat. Does fat help the blood sugar to remain constant?
Hi Margaret,

My fat each day comes from whatever meat/poultry/fish/cheese I eat, + mayonnaise made with canola oil, Smart Balance margarine + the fat in the Tbsp of peanutbutter I have mixed in my yogurt (lo-carb, lo-fat, lo-calorie) each night.

In order to keep my blood sugar in range (80-120), I can't eat more than 60 g of carbs/day. To keep this low, I need the fat to keep me from getting hungry. So far, my cholesterol & triglycerides keep going down - so I guess this works for me.

Lynn
Old 07-28-2007, 06:07 AM   #370  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning GG's,

Today is my last day of the course I'm taking. I have NOT been pleased with the trainers. They post the discussion questions for the day & then virtually disappear - (or, in this case, disappear virtually?).

For the most part, it seems to me like the blind leading the blind. We're all in training & trying to answer each others' questions. Today is the day that one of the UoP "experts" is supposed to be online - hopefully, she will do better than the trainers.

I'll be back in regular form tomorrow. In the meantime, I've come up with another idea to kick my metabolism back into gear - eat every 3 hours. Yesterday, I ate 2 Wheat Thins and a lt. cheese stick in between meals. Will try that again today. I had been going 6-7 hours between meals. I think that helped stall my metabolism.

I also decided to chart the number of days I'm being "stuck" in one weight range (so my frustration can be more objective) here's what I came up with since May 15 - date I really started changing my eating -

178 - 1
177 - 1
176 - 3
175 - 13
174 - 5
173 - 7
172 - 5
171 - 1
170 - 3
169 - 6
168 - 6
167 - 10
166 - 16
165 - 2 so far

Have a Happy & Healthy day Everyone,

Lynn
Old 07-28-2007, 07:28 AM   #371  
Ellabella

Ahah! You don't KNOW how long I've been telling people that this was the case! I haven't bought bottled water for quite some time. When I embarked on my "lifestyle change", I bought it a few times, and said, "This tastes just like tap water! I'm just gonna drink tap water! I can't tell the difference!" And people had the nerve to pooh-pooh me - to INSIST that they couldn't SELL something as one thing if it was something else! Yeah, RIGHT! Take a gander at THIS, GG's, and if you're currently wasting your money on "designer waters" you might want to rethink that choice!

http://money.cnn.com/2007/07/27/news...ion=2007072715

It's not quite 7:30 yet and it's already feeling hot and humid and acky around here. I just might not take my bike ride. I fare very poorly in high humidity - feel all wrung out like an old dishrag, don't feel like doing much of anything. I have to go through and clean up this house some - we're having company for dinner tonight. Luckily, I've been notified that the female half of the couple is on a low carb, sugar free diet, so that'll be easy enough to accomodate for DH & I. I'm figuring to do a shrimp & chicken stir fry with brown rice. A nice fruit & cheese selection for dessert. What could be easier???
I'll probably be back a little later, since it's so relaxing just sitting here....

TTFN,
Z
Old 07-28-2007, 07:59 AM   #372  

S/C/G: 237/238/165

Height: 5 feet 7

Talking

Hello GGs,

I've just finished 2 mile WATP. Whew.

Now I have to prepare for choir rehearsal this morning. That's were my handle originates---I'm a church musician. I direct the Youth Choir. I don't expect many at rehearsal today and that is OK. It is summer many of them are working, some don't drive, this is the period of many family reunions---so not many come. Oh well, I was the same way when I was younger.

TTFN, Trish
Old 07-28-2007, 09:01 AM   #373  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

GOOD MORNING LADIES ~

It is a nice morning here in southern California, the sun is just breaking. I still have my GOLDEN GIRLS in their crates in the gym. In a few minutes I will wake them up...they already will be and send them into bed with Angie. She is up but just lying there until I send Reba and Rylee in for their "scratcy scratch"

Angie will take them out on a 3-5 mile run this morning then we are going for breakfast at a friends restaurant. Going to try and be good on my order

We went out to MIMIS CAFE last night, haven't been there in a couple of years. Not sure how many of you have them around, they aren't in every state. I do know that LINDA D has one in her neighborhood since I have eaten there before. Anyway, I had the fish and chips but brought about 1/2 home...big change for me!

After dinner, Angie and I went over to Cost Plus, to look for a bottle of wine she wanted and didn't find. I did buy a couple of cases of mixed beers, that the boys, my son and his buddies and my son in law will like. I stick to domestic!

I plan to start working on the bedroom my step-d and daughter don't use much anymore. I am going to try and remove some sand I put on the walls, and sea shells my daughter put in that sand, years ago. After that I will re-texture the wall, if I can't get it off I will just have to demo the drywall and put new board up....thank goodness I do it for a living

Nephew spent the night at a friend's house last night, he will come home in a few hours, then go with his mom until tomorrow. It will be quiet around here this week-end...that is if my "girls" don't yell out the door (OK-Bark) too much!

I am going to send the mutts in on Angie ~ I will post a picture of the wall I am going to demo and be back later to catch up with you.

Enjoy your day ladies! ~ Gary

Last edited by EZMONEY; 09-16-2007 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:10 AM   #374  
lynard

S/C/G: 214/206/180

Height: 5'9"

Red face Well it Rained but...

The concert was just great!! They actually seated us under the canopy of the amphitheater so we stayed dry. I couldn't sit still after the first song, however, so i got up and danced in the back with a few other older hippy types. My DH joined me fore a few songs, but he mostly hung out with his friend. The whole thing took me back and I really just let go and danced, sang, clapped and cheered. We estmated that bout 85% of the audience was between 45 and 65. The band sounds pretty much like they used to. There were a few younger members...a floutist, and a second drummer and and young keyboard player.

I'm hanging out at my DH's friend's house this am...he lives just 4 miles from the concert site which saved us an hour's ride home. He lives on Canandaigua Lake and we're going to take his boat out later. So far it's nice out...but more rain in the forecast.

Karen - I just had to tell you what great pictures of your family..handsome crew - so glad it went well.

Lyn
Old 07-28-2007, 09:31 AM   #375  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Closed Thread