Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 03:24 PM   #106  

S/C/G: 184/see ticker/130

Height: 5 ft.

Bobby,
you just put chills up my spine! really!

Phyllis,
That is one nice looking cat. We can't have them anymore. as I am allergic to them.
Never was when I was younger.

Karen,
I am glad its finally warmed up there. You must love it. I know we do. Its never as warm here at my house as it is south of town. Our town sits right on lake Erie. So We get a nice cool breeze. Most of the summer.

Have a safe trip. and have fun.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:46 PM   #107  
Joanne

S/C/G: 267/250/170

Height: 5'7"

Wow its Thursday afternoon and I finally got a chance to pop in. Had a great night at bootcamp last night -- took one of my friends and we had a great time -- heck of a workout but we both survived (LOL she weighs about 110 soaking wet). Today it was a beautiful day so I instead of using our campus mail service I did my own "important" deliveries. Took 40 minutes it was just lovely out and even got to see the baby geese. Missed the really cute stage by about a week -- they are in the almost teenage stage LOL.

Hi everyone, Theresa and Lyn glad things are going well.

Bobbi - yes these people are very insecure and quite pathetic. I have been doing this a long time so I can sometimes spot trouble.
I can't even imagine sensing evil like that - -was this in the house you currently live in. My late husband and I had to have separate rooms -- sometimes I disliked it but it was how our marriage survived.

Ella - Several years ago I fell for a fellow online. There just seemed to be a magic connection (I know silly but true). He lived in NYC - sight unseen I flew off to meet him -- my mother could have killed me LOL. Lets just say he became one of my best friends -- NYC was so vibrant and different from Vancouver and I loved visiting him. Sadly he was an alcoholic and I just knew there was no chance of a future -- so we parted best of friends about 3 years ago. Two years ago he suffered a massive stroke (at the age of 48) and is now confined to a state hospital. So I have been enriched by the internet.

Phyllis
- what a beautiful cat -- how old was he??

Karen - I look forward to getting your posts from the trip. I hope you get out before the storm!!!
Old 05-11-2007, 03:13 AM   #108  

S/C/G: 191/171.5/130

Height: 5'2"

Bobbi - Dh has always teased me about how frugal I am, years ago he dubbed me his “Thrifty Wife” and it just stuck. My tightwad ways managed to get hubby the bass boat of his dreams so he’s a believer now! Truth is I *can* pinch a penny until it screams but honestly I scrimp in some areas so I can squander in others.

My grand daughters call me Nonni, dh is Swiss Italian...

Paula - I use a lot of the square foot method in my vegetable garden, I’ve found that I get high yields in a pretty small area. We live on a city lot and my garden is in the rear half of my back yard. The plots I use are 2’ x 8’ so they’re easy to access from all sides. I like it because with the small beds I can keep out the perennial Bermuda grass that wants to overtake our yard.

Wow you guys, love the ghost stories!
Old 05-11-2007, 10:46 AM   #109  
Lifetime Loser

Theresa, Lynn, Bobbi, Paula & JayJay....Ok you all have made a true ghost believer out of me!!!! Thanks for sharing those stories. On the news last night they told about a tiny town here in Florida where almost everyone there is a Psyhic .... might be worth a trip!

We had one tell us years ago that our living would be made involving catalogs.
Didn't make sense at the time but we just sold our office suppy store and that is how we did all our ordering.....through catalogs. De De De De

Karen, enjoy your trip and we will look forward to hearing all about your travels. We are leaving for our trip up north in 1 week.....whoa, I need to get busy and start getting organized!

Ella, That was some hot weather for you this early but the weather seems to be messed up everywhere. There were over 200 brush fires here in Florida a couple days ago, we had to stay inside because it was too smoky to go outside....we are all praying for rain here.

My favorite tv shows are of course, Medium, ER, Greys Anatomy, CSI & House. We are big TV fans here.

JayJay my cat was 13...he weighed 22 lbs. Mainecoons can get up to 30 lbs.
He purred like a motor boat, I sure miss him.

Off to clean house, do my 1 mile dvd and maybe go shopping for little grandchildren gifts, I like to take them little things....they love it, all 7 are still 6yrs. to 2 yrs. so they are still easy to please.

Phyllis
Old 05-11-2007, 11:00 AM   #110  
lynard

S/C/G: 214/206/180

Height: 5'9"

Default Experiment

Trying to save a thumbnail...if it works this is my desktop...a photo we took in Norway last summer.

Lyn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled_t.jpg (2.9 KB, 37 views)
Old 05-11-2007, 11:01 AM   #111  
lynard

Well, it worked, but how do you make it get bigger when you click on it. Maybe I made it too small?

Lyn
Old 05-11-2007, 11:16 AM   #112  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning Girls, I think everyone is outside today. The threads are slow. I need to get out and hang clean laundry on the clothes line myself so I'll make this short.
Theresa... Thanks you for the instructions about printing out the screen. Dummy me always wondered what that key was for. Today I used the two screens for posting my menu on the "Challenge" thread and what a life saver. Since you're such a cp geek, how do you get the little zero you put behind a oven temperature? I used to know, had it written down but I can't find the slip of paper nor remember. Instead of saying 350 degrees, I want to type in 350?.

Ella...I totally agree with you, it's fun to hear about lives other than my own. I love seeing everyone's home and yard.
Quote:
I really enjoy this group - you all have such interesting thoughts and experiences - and lives. I really look forward to each new posting.
Phyllis... We have a pet cemetary in our shade garden for all our beloved pets. I put flowers on it every year and still talk to them. I have more compassion for pets than I do some people. Sorry to hear about your kitty, he was very beautiful. We have a pitch black cat (long haired) with green eyes that is older than dirt, she lives in our breezeway. She's so old that she never wants to go outside, very content to watch the birds from the windows.
Karen... Yes, please send us pictures of anything interesting. We'll travel with you thru your posts.
JayJay... No, we don't live in that house anymore. Like I said before, that never happened again. I've thought about that event often and I think the devil saw a likely convert in DH, he never went to church. His church was hunting, hunting and hunting. Still is!
Thriftywife... Nothing wrong with being thrifty, I'm very tight with myself. I love buying gifts and spending on others. Early on in our marriage we had to run a tight ship and I learned to use coupons, cut corners every where. We haven't had to watch our spending for years but old habits die hard, I still use coupons and haven't used our clothes dryer for years. Our basement is heated and my clothes dry overnight on the clothes lines I have downstairs. It's so weird, they always smell like I've hung them outside. This post has gotten longer than I planned, catch ya all later
Bobbi
Old 05-11-2007, 12:13 PM   #113  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Well, Lyn, wish I could help you with your pic downloads, but as you know, I am techno-challenged and unable to even IMAGINE how those things are accomplished. Theresa will probably tell you.

Okay, ELLA'S turn for the twilight-zone stories.

When I was growing up, my family owned a summer place in Rutland, Massachusetts, way out on a sparsely-populated country road about five or six miles from the center of what was (and still is) a very small town. As a child, I roamed about the surrounding woods very freely - back then, one could send their child out with a lunch bag during the summer and not worry that they'd be abducted or killed by some maniacal passer-by. I imagine those things did happen from time to time, but we never heard about them, and consequently, we never worried about them.

The area was an historic one: not far from our place was a plaque commemorating the town's first grist mill, built on a river - more stream than river by my era - in the woods a quarter mile or so up the road from our house. Farther up was another plaque marking the place where General "I- can't-remember-his-name"s troops camped following the fight at Fort Ticonderoga in upstate New York during the Revolutionary war. Then, in the opposite direction - down the road - was a cemetery in which one of Paul Revere's minute men was buried - along with a large number of children who died when an epidemic of dysentery swept through the area in the early 1700's. And just down and in back of the cemetery was the old Rutland Prison Camp - purported to have been built to hold confederate prisoners during the Civil War, and then later used as a state prison farm from @ 1903 -1934. By the time we were spending our summers in the area, there was nothing left of the prison camp except for crumbling foundations and one old cellblock with grafitti spray painted all over it. Nobody seemed to know what, exactly, had been there, and townspeople speculated freely. There were several groups who used to put on "ghost walks" at Hallowe'en every year, and the place was certainly a perfect place for something like that.

First, here are pictures of the old Prison Camp as I knew it:

http://www.iussa.org/index.php?cat=b...rutland_prison

And here is how it apparently looked when it was operated as a state prison farm early in the 20th century:

http://www.rutlandland.org/gallery/P...ore/index.html

I spent my summers wandering about these old ruins, and all up and down the surrounding woods and tiny dirt roads that wound throughout for a three or four mile radius. My mother and father both went off to their jobs during the day, and thought nothing of leaving me to my own devices, rather loosely "kept track of" by an elderly neighbor, "Lottie", who lived alone in an old house about two miles from ours that she'd shared with her brother Henry, who had died a few years back.

I rode my bike all through that old prison farm, and would sit by the river that flowed through it to have my lunch...sometimes I'd find a shady spot for myself and lie down to read one of my books, sometimes falling asleep in the process.

I can't say exactly when I first noticed the presence, but can only say that perhaps during the second year that we spent there - I was probably 10 or 11 years old at the time - it became apparent to me that I wasn't always alone.

At first, it was only a glimmering - the sort of thing that you think you've caught a glimpse of over your shoulder, but then when you look right at it, it's gone - that kept happening for what was probably a few months. I would be riding along on my bike, see a flash, go closer to investigate, and find nothing. But although it's hard to describe, I not only saw, but felt something, as well - felt somebody near.

After awhile, I became downright curious, and would shout out, "Who IS it???" when I'd see those flashes/feel the presence, but for a long time there was no response at all, and as soon as I called out, the presence immediately went away.

Finally, one afternoon when I was sitting with a book next to the river - I think it was called the Ware River that flowed through there - I sensed someone near, and looked up and saw some sort of nebulous and free-floating lights - a small concentration of them not six feet from where I was sitting. It seemed very hesitant and fleeting, but it hovered next to me for a few seconds and then went away again.

After a while, these little lights started to follow after me as I walked - or rode my bike, or sat on a fallen tree trunk - or wherever I went.

The feelings I got were not threatening or scary, but rather sad and desolate.

Finally, the lights got ahead of me, and instead of following me, they started leading me.

I followed them to a cemetery that I hadn't known was there - it was actually deep in a pine grove behind the old cemetery that I spoke of earlier. Aside from a few fragments of crosses, all of which had fallen over and broken, there were just depressions in the ground where the old graves were.

The light formation - which again, I FELT as a living presence as well as seeing - led me to one grave in particular. The cross (made of cement, I think) that had adorned the grave had fallen on top of the depression and was overgrown with weeds and grass and dead pine needles and leaves from nearby trees. But, after digging a bit to extricate the cross and see if anything was written on it, I found only a number - 363.

I don't know who 363 was, but I DO know that he was a young confederate soldier who died in the prison camp. I don't think he was much older than 15 or 16. I do know that his first name was Ned, but I don't think he remembered his last name anymore.

He was so sad, and wanted so badly for someone to know about him and know that he'd once been a living person whose family loved him and missed him, and that he had fought bravely against the enemy and would rather have died in battle than been captured and brought to this terrible place.

My knowing - and feeling sorry - seemed to satisfy Ned, and not long after that, he was able, it seems, to move on. But I will never forget Ned, and perhaps that's all that any of us really wants - just to not be forgotten.

So my "ghost story" isn't a scary one, but it's sad, don't you think?

I have had other "Ghostly experiences" but this is SOOOO long, and they are best saved for another time.

TTFN,

Ella
Old 05-11-2007, 12:25 PM   #114  
Joanne

ITS FRIDAY LOL I am not too excited. Its been a long week - I just have to get through one more day of work and bootcamp then do typical female relaxing over the weekend (groceries, laundry, cleaning the deck etc etc -- relaxing???).

Yesterday was beautiful here -- I did the entire campus tour. I choose to deliver my orders to Purchasing and drop off mail to our Finance department. Its a good 15 minute walk between those two buildings and I am halfway in between. At least we got to go by the creek and saw all the new goslings. Missed the really cute stage by about a week -- but they were still really cute even though the parents were too keen on us stopping to look. Geesh must be a thousand students pass by each day you would think they would just ignore us humans.

Had my highest calorie day yesterday but my day before was rather low. I will be interested at the end of this month to see if the scale will be my friend or not. I would just love to be out of the 230's please please please.

Thrifty - way to go on being so frugal. I am good but could be better. We had to sell some property several years ago (long story) and with the proceeds we were able to buy my husband's dream boat -- so glad we did he only got to enjoy it for a year before he passed away. Last thing he did before he went into the hospital for his surgery was to batten down the boat for winter. Enjoy Enjoy Enjoy!!!!

Phyllis - I am a true believer. Although my first experience with a pyschic wasn't very good. She missed everything but did guide me towards a book that really changed my thinking and started me on the path to search out some proof -- which I did get within a few months. If you want to read something interesting get the book "The Eagle and The Rose"

Lyn - hey at least you tried to attach a picture. You attached a picture not a thumbnail -- no idea how to fix it though.

Bobbi - just glad you are safe and sound and we need these events to remember as horrid as they were at the time. And remember always there is no such thing as a post that is too long.

To all my other friends -- I wish you all wonderful a Mother's Day and hope to catch up on the weekend.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:32 PM   #115  
lynard

Default Still trying

Hey..this is more fun than working.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 116summerhouse walk.JPGsmall.jpg (39.0 KB, 31 views)
Old 05-11-2007, 12:40 PM   #116  
Joanne

Ella - our posts crossed. What an amazing story and yes children today are denied that delicious feeling of freedom. The exploring we used to do on our own for the entire day was something special. Thanks for bringing back the memories.

You are so very correct about Ned -- we must never forget our loved ones. Everytime we remember them they come alive for that brief time and its a gift for us and them.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:41 PM   #117  
Joanne

Lyn
Old 05-11-2007, 01:20 PM   #118  
lynard

Thumbs up What a Great Story, Ella

I thought your story of Ned was quite fascinating and your description of your summer days in the woods brought back many memories of my childhood. Me and my 2 younger sisters would spend many hours in the woods behind our house in Connecticut buiding forts and "log cabins" that never seemed to get much higher than a few feet. We also pitched tents in the woods and told ghost stories while we drank coke and ate cherry lifesavers all night. My parents never worried about us and we were free to roam the woods in our neighborhood - and even go swimming in the local pond called "The Pit Hole".

The only scarey thing that ever happened to me was when I was about 7 I was walking in the woods and I came across some older boys (teens) smoking and they stared to pick on me and try to scare me. One of them chased after me when I tried to get away...I ran like crazy all the way home. But it never stopped me from further adventures in the woods.

I wish I ad some real ghost stories like yours, though. How did you now his name was Ned? Was it on the tombstone?

I'm really bored at work today ...could you all tell? I'm going to go out and walk after lunch. Then, probably home a little early. Yesterday I was good and did not have dessert at lunch. We went to Olive Garden (yummmm).

Lyn
Old 05-11-2007, 02:16 PM   #119  

Hi girls

just sitting down to eat my lunch.

Hubby eats later before he goes to work… so I get to eat by myself. He is playing in the garage.

Phyllis
You said you like Medium on tv… how do you like this “to be continued stuff”
Its enough to drive me crazy. That is my all time favorite.
We tvo it, and watch the next morning when hubby gets out of bed.

Didn’t you say your family is in ohio? Where about’s do they live.
I am about half way between Cleveland and Sandusky.
I know you are excited to see those grand kids. It makes me grateful to live in the same town as mine.

Lyn,
I am glad you figured out the problem with your pic. I just got finished writing it all down. and looked… oops! there is your pic. Very pretty.

Bobby, I know there is a symbol for the degrees too. Just can’t remember it either.
I hope someone else does.

Joanne.
Those baby geese sound so cute. The cutest things in the world are baby’s. animals and human.
As hard as you are working, I sure hope you achieve your goal. I never imagined working THAT hard to lose weight.
Would be hard here anyway. I doubt I could find something like that locally.
220’s Go Joanne! You can do it.

Thrifty,
I was raised thrifty too.
Grew up in large family’s. We even had to share bath water as kids. To save money.
I think that was my most hated thrifty thing. We shared clothes too. hand me downs… Yeah!

With 10 kids in a house… you have to be thrifty. I have just always done the same things as an adult.

ok
I have to go fix his lunch. will read your story afterward Ella.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:46 PM   #120  

Ella,
That is one of the most sad story’s I have read in a long time.
by the way. Very well written.

It is such a shame that the area government just let that Prison fall apart. such history there.

Yes, I remember packing lunches and being gone ALL day.

I grew up in the country too.
The things my brothers did, scared me to death.

I know Our parents would have freaked out to know.
Once, we were out in the woods, miles from home. They found a frozen water fall, and proceeded to climb the ice.
No way would I want to know my son had done this.

We would ride our bikes for the day too. I remember doing rides, that I measured as an older kid. (17 yrs. ) Some of these rides were 10 miles one way. No wonder I was thin as a child.
We would make Snow forts too. Very large, almost like Igloos. My brothers slept in them. Brrr. Not me. I like to sleep in a warm bed.

Lyn,
How is the Olive Garden? I have always wanted to check it out. What did you eat?
Closed Thread