Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 09:41 AM   #136  

S/C/G: 184/see ticker/130

Height: 5 ft.

Good Morning all

I hope you all enjoyed your Mother’s day.

Congrats Wulfcwen.
On your 2 pound loss!
I know what Salmon is… what is “”salmon tail joiunt “”?

Paula,
My prayers for your dad.

Lynn
If I were you… I would ask my dr. if He could point you to a dietician for you Diabetes. My daughter in-law did this. It helped her a lot. Gave her an idea how to eat, etc.
Good luck.

Hello everyone else.
have to get moving.

here are some pics from my back yard and our dog - Bear
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0457.jpg (41.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 000_04561.jpg (37.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 000_04581.jpg (44.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 000_04661.jpg (49.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 05-14-2007, 10:08 AM   #137  
lynard

S/C/G: 214/206/180

Height: 5'9"

Unhappy Monday Again

Wow, the weekend flew by. I went to the Lilac Festival in Rochester with my DD, her boyfriend visiting from NYC and my DH. It was a cool, but lovely day- I resisted all of the bad stuff like fried dough, fudge, hotdogs, onion rings .etc. and split a pita gyro with lots of vegies with my husband. Then we went out for Indian food that night. Sunday I painted some benches for our deck and went for a long walk/jog. The weather here has been perfect. My clothes are definitely looser – weigh in tonight at TOPs.

Tomorrow I have to go to a business meeting for 3 days in NJ. Eating right will be a challenge, I'm sure. I get to fly on the Corporate Shuttle - it holds just 8 passengers and avoids the regular airport so it's quick, (and fun).

Good going on the 2# loss, wulfcwen!

Karen, I loved the Aspen photo

Ella, wish I could say I never watch tv....it's such a bad habit and I bet I could get a lot more done without it.

Paula, your garden sounds like it’s going to be terrific!

Lynn, Don’t give up. It may be slow going, but hand in there!

Thanks to all who posted Mother’s Day Cards!
Old 05-14-2007, 10:36 AM   #138  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Just saying hey and introducing myself. I started South Beach about a month ago and so far, lots of success. Not hungry, no cravings etc.
I started gaining weight in my late 30's when I started going through menopause, lost it pretty quickly a couple of times and really started gaining about 5 years ago and pretty much "accepted" the fact that would always be fat. I love to cook and love to eat! Went through menopause twice with no hrt (the second time was after hysterectomy). Basically 12 years of menopause gaining weight the whole time. Thought maybe after the hysterectomy it would go away..ha!

My father passed away a year ago and I had promised him I would lose weight so after almost of year of eating my way through grief and stress I decided this was IT.(I live outside of New Orleans and the past 2 horrible years is yet another long story of unreal stress..my whole world fell apart in one day)

I'm not a big believer in scales, so don't know exactly how much I weighed when I started, but wore a size 16 and am 5'3". But my clothes are getting very loose. I've decided no new clothes for me till the fall..I'll just spend the summer in sun dresses. I'm shooting for a really great "little black dress" and some corduroy jeans with a belt, lol.

I just decided one day that I am too young to be old. I got rid of most of my wrinkles on my face, so now it's time to get rid of the "wrinkles" on my waist! I just want to be "me" again and as much as I loved my Grandmother(who I look just like) , I got tired of looking at her in the mirror!

I'm married, teach in the mornings, have a design company that I run from home in the afternoons..3 kids..two still in college.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:40 PM   #139  

S/C/G: 179/

Height: 5feet 2 inches

Hi Littlered
Salmon Tail Joint is a when the whole salmon is cut leaving a large piece of the tail end. I bought a whole salmon when it was on offer and cut it into steaks leaving about 8 inches at the tail end.
It makes a really nice joint and you can split it remove the backbone and stuff it. We can buy a salmon tail joint but is expensive. The whole salmon was a good bargain so I got it whilst it was cheap, what I paid for the whole fish would be the price of a tail joint so I got my moneys worth out of it.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:10 PM   #140  
Joanne

S/C/G: 267/250/170

Height: 5'7"

Hi everyone Happy Monday!!!! Busy busy weekend and I am just grabbing a few seconds here to catch up -- I promise to be back later to catch up completely.

I get to also add to the bad eating weekend. For dinner on Saturday I had a lemon loaf and mocha frappacino at Starbucks --- although a while ago I would have had that and turned around and scarfed down a full meal two hours later.

Femme -- welcome to the Golden girls --- I look forward to getting to know you better. Eating because of grief is all to easy to do. Took me a couple of years after losing my husband and father (within 5 months) to realize food wasn't the answer. I am also not a fan of the scale I force myself to check the numbers about once a month. Clothes always have been and always will be the best barometer of our weight loss.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:16 PM   #141  

S/C/G: 184/see ticker/130

Height: 5 ft.

Wulfcwen,
thanks for the info. Is the tail of a Salmon better than other parts?
I have never bought or cooked a whole fish. We go to Our Farm market and buy fish. It is so much better than what we buy at the grocery store.

Well today was my weigh in for the Challenge at curves.
I had to work out 3 x's week at Curves. and at least 1 time at home. And loose 10 pounds.
I did work outs for a total of 6 days a week. and lost 12 pounds.
This went for 10 weeks.
I guess I at least managed to accomplish my goal, even if some one else does loose more. I did good! And I plan to keep mine off. No fad diets like some of them.

Hi FemmeCreole:
Welcome
Wow! I have not had a sundress for years!
I am going to have to get one, Just one. I don't know where I will where it though. I am pretty much a stay at home person.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:02 PM   #142  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Theresa, funny you should mention a dietitian. That was the #1 piece of advice I got on the ADA website. I've been searching for one online. Tomorrow, I go to the diabetes class. I will ask the diabetes educator about finding one.

Hi Lyn, at the end of May I'm headed for NY state - a women's museum around the finger lakes. Where in NJ was your meeting?

Hi Femmecreole, welcome. What do you teach? I teach for Univ of Phoenix - online courses in ed research for teachers who are pursuing Master's degree.

Hi Joanne, OK - after bad eating day, time for us to get back on track.

Today my gf and I walked in a nearby county park - what a BEAUTIFUL day!

Tomorrow is mammogram (1st in 3 years), diabetes course, and then horseback riding lesson.

Take care,

Lynn
Old 05-15-2007, 06:08 AM   #143  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Ella is bak... betcha you didn't even miss me! Good! I hope everyone had a busy and ultra-lovely mother's day!!! I went to a "Mother's Day cook-out" at my eldest DD's brandy-new dream house. Lotsa mothers there - me, her, my two other dd's, each of which has one child, her MIL, her MIL's mother, my other two sils & one sil's mother. Oh! And one dd's best friend and her three children. My gosh! It doesn't seem like there were that many people there, but now that I'm thinking about it, it sounds like a cast of thousands!
I didn't eat off-plan! I had weighed myself before we went, discovered (Oh, joy! ) that I'd lost two pounds , and was determined not to put even an ounce back on!
Welcome, Femme! You're in very good company here. We all have our various reasons for having gained weight over time, and we're all sick of it, and doing something about it. Jump right in! (We also have some GREAT role models like Bobbi, who is actually BELOW goal, and maintaining beautifully.)
Oh! A Lilac festival! Are you checking your e-mail while away, Lyn? I absolutely LOVE Lilacs! It sure must've smelled good up there over the weekend!
Lynn, I'm a little jealous at all your museum-trotting and all...when reading some of your posts, I start realizing how much of a rut I tend to get into. DH and I are such homebodies - him in the studio with his painting, me reading, puttering, doing a little sculpting, chatting...time just gets aways from us and we never seem to manage to get anywhere. Oh well, now that summer's nearly here, we have a few things planned, so we'll be getting out and away more than we do during the winter, at least.
We've had really good weather for a few weeks now, and I've been doing my bike rides every day - twice a day, usually, on the weekends. I LOVE bike riding ! It's really great - and even burns calories! Imagine!
Hey, Joanne - how's boot camp going?
Awwww...gotta get ready for work!
Have a GREAT day, everyone!!!! (Nice yard pics, Theresa! Such pretty flowers! Cute doggie, too!)

Ella
Old 05-15-2007, 09:07 AM   #144  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning Girls, just a quick note then I'm out the door!
Welcome Femmecreole, with a name handle like that, I'll bet you are a fantastic cajun cook. I always lick my chops when I see someone on the food cooking channel in New Orleans.
I started to look like my mom with age, I'm amazed that so many people have told me that lately. (I never looked like her when I was younger )My mom was beautiful, even in her eighty's so it's a compliment to me.

Quote:
I just decided one day that I am too young to be old. I got rid of most of my wrinkles on my face, so now it's time to get rid of the "wrinkles" on my waist! I just want to be "me" again and as much as I loved my Grandmother(who I look just like) , I got tired of looking at her in the mirror!
I'm off to MIL house again, getting ready for a large rummage sale.
Take care everyone!
Bobbi
Old 05-15-2007, 09:26 AM   #145  
Lifetime Loser

Hi ladies, just popping in to say hello.....I need to lose 1/2 lbs. from this past weekend to get back to my ticker....then Sat. we leave for vacation!!!!!!!
I am packing my laptop & my walking DVD and plan to do it in the hotel room. Even if I can't do it everyday as we will be doing a lot of driving I figure whenever I can get a mile it will help.

Welcome Femme you will like it here and being in Florida and having a direct hit with two hurricanes I can understand a lot of what you have gone through. I dread the start of this new season, just get a bet nervous. We WILL have a good year!

I read that several of you have last a couple lbs......Congrats!!!!!!!!! Your my inspiration.

Phyllis
Old 05-15-2007, 11:57 AM   #146  
Joanne

S/C/G: 267/250/170

Height: 5'7"

Morning all -- put in a good day yesterday -- ate well and worked out hard!!!

Theresa that is just awesome how you did with the challenge --

Ella -- of course I missed you -- and bootcamp is tough but good. I have decided to get a 10 session pass for the summer. I just can't let it go completely but I can't afford another $200 for another month.

Lynn -- its been two years for me since my mammo so time to think about it -- maybe after our vacation. Good luck and enjoy the riding.

Bobbi - good luck with the rummage sale

Phyllis -- excellent plan -- hmmm I promised my son I would buy him a laptop for his birthday maybe I should buy one now and take it with me on vacation. Naww we should get a lot of walking in. I hope LOL.

On to another day of good eating -- I have my definition class at noon and its one of my favourites. I keep hoping it will feel like a cakewalk after bootcamp but no go -- this old girl feels everything LOL

Last edited by Jayjay55; 05-15-2007 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:41 PM   #147  
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyinweighting View Post

Hi Femmecreole, welcome. What do you teach?
Computer lab...I teach 300 five year olds..(I taught "regular" kindergarden for many years) I only teach till 12:30
I also have a web design business that keeps me busy in the afternoons
Old 05-15-2007, 12:50 PM   #148  
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
Welcome Femmecreole, with a name handle like that, I'll bet you are a fantastic cajun cook. I always lick my chops when I see someone on the food cooking channel in New Orleans.
Yep..that's one of my problems...I love to cook and I love to eat..especially Creole food (there really is not much cajun food in New Orleans..for really good authentic Cajun food, you have go to SW Louisiana where the Cajuns live)
I am working on adapting my Creole recipes using what's accepatble on South Beach Diet..many will be able to "translate" pretty well, ie Red beans and rice, Shimp Etouffee etc.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:26 PM   #149  

Default Hello to All!

Just dropping in to say hello and tell you that I enjoy all the posts. ust haven't had time to do any posting myself. We got in from the lake late yesterday and I am leaving on Thursday for the week end. I'm not around much in the summer. But still want to be a Golden Girl

I had a loss last Thursday on my scales but did not get to weigh in at TOPS.

Need to get to bed. My best to all of you. Keep up your losing weighs...
Wanda
Old 05-16-2007, 08:29 AM   #150  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Well, I managed to get in a bike ride between rain storms last night. I've been really dedicated to my bike riding, you know? And to eating right - low calorie, high fiber, etc., etc. I think I've been doing pretty well. I've been feeling pretty good about myself.

I got up, took my bath, got dressed for work this morning, and just happened to catch a glimpse, in the bathroom mirror, of myself from the side. I looked THICK! I grabbed my small make-up mirror, and went into the full-length bedroom mirror, and looked at myself from the rear & side.

Auuurrrgh.

Horrible.

And I was feeling SO good, you know? Feeling like I had REALLY made some progress, was REALLY looking so much better these days.

And, the sad part of it is, is that I AM 19 pounds thinner than I started out.
What WAS I looking like??????

I am not a person who carries excess weight well. I'm 5'6, and have always thought of myself as relatively tall - and big-boned. The truth of the matter is that I'm NOT all that tall, and my bones are not BIG - they're probably small, actually. An extra couple of pounds on me looks like TEN pounds on other people. Seriously. I have a girlfriend who is 5'7 and weighs 190 - even gets up to 200 from time to time, and always looks tall and statuesque - she does NOT look heavy one bit. Some people just carry their weight better than others.

Oh, I'm disgusted - and a little discouraged, yes. I wish I could take a magic pill or something, and drop another 20 pounds overnight. I KNOW I can't do that, and I WILL stay committed to my eating & exercise plan, but I've got to say that I absolutely HATE how I am (still) looking, and can't even BEAR the thoughts of how I was looking a couple of months ago. I can't even imagine, frankly, how DH has continued to care about me, the way I've been looking.

I'm sure I'll manage to perk up tomorrow - or the next day - and get past this, but I was just feeling so GOOD, and then when I saw how I REALLY look, I could've cried.

Now, I want to just cut out eating altogether, but I get hungry!!!!!!!

Blah!

Gotta go; on top of the disturbing mirror experience, when I went out to drive off to work, one of my brand new front tires was flat! AAA just came & fixed it; there was a nail in it. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Have a good day, all!!!

Ella
Closed Thread