Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 03-21-2018, 11:25 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/265/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Greetings!

Hello, everyone, and thanks for having me.

I've grown tired of the diet merry-go-round. It's just not so merry any more. I've been struggling with my weight all 38 years of my life. I've been consistently 50-100+ pounds overweight my entire adult life (height and weight charts say I should be about 140-160, but I have been fluctuating between 260's and 270's for what seems like an eternity now, but we will just say "approximately 8 years").

I have always told myself I'd probably become a zen master of sorts if I could finally control my mind to the point of controlling my food/eating habits. It has been a constant struggle for me and I don't want to enter my 40's with this unhealthy excess weight. Before I was obsessed with "looking good" but now I'm more concerned with keeping my insides healthy because I feel like my body is betraying me and things are quickly going downhill.

I admit I'm afraid of the loose skin, (I already have some anyway!), but like I said I had my "lose weight to look good" chance back when my skin was more elastic and people were still calling me "miss." So unless I meet a philanthropic plastic surgeon, loosey goosey I shall be.

As for method, I've decided to use a food diary app that allows you to log pictures of the food you eat during the day. I figure maybe if I can actually see the vast amount of food I consume every day to weigh this much, it might actually help me to wake up and see that I'm being way too excessive with the food and help to retrain my eating behaviors when it comes to portion control and quality of food.

Thanks for reading my story. I look forward to "meeting" all of you and having fun on this weight loss journey together!
PrimordialSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:19 PM   #2  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Welcome to the board, and good luck on your weight loss goals!

As to loose skin, research "autophagy" and "intermittent fasting". Intermittent fasting (IF) kicks off a biological process called autophagy which is the body's way of scavenging unnecessary proteins (such as loose skin) and faulty proteins (such as cells that have defects in them, such as cancer cells). If you incorporate IF into your diet, you can reduce or eliminate loose skin. Dr. Jason Fung states in one article "As an aside, in my clinic where we do a lot of intermittent fasting, I have not yet sent a single patient to the plastic surgeon for removal of excess skin, even though weight loss sometime is over 100 pounds."
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:44 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
Welcome to the board, and good luck on your weight loss goals!

As to loose skin, research "autophagy" and "intermittent fasting". Intermittent fasting (IF) kicks off a biological process called autophagy which is the body's way of scavenging unnecessary proteins (such as loose skin) and faulty proteins (such as cells that have defects in them, such as cancer cells). If you incorporate IF into your diet, you can reduce or eliminate loose skin. Dr. Jason Fung states in one article"As an aside, in my clinic where we do a lot of intermittent fasting, I have not yet sent a single patient to the plastic surgeon for removal of excess skin, even though weight loss sometime is over 100 pounds."
Wow! I will have to read up on IF. Thank you for that information.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:47 AM   #4  

Hi and welcome!
DorotheaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:36 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorotheaW View Post
Hi and welcome!
Thank you!
Old 03-22-2018, 02:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 175/172/162

Height: 5'8.5"

Hello Primordial Soup. I am a recent addition to this forum, myself. I needed something to keep me accountable - and hopefully posting online, as I work through my scale-losses, is going to be a part of a winning formula for me.

Nice to meet you.
Beeps2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:59 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeps2011 View Post
Hello Primordial Soup. I am a recent addition to this forum, myself. I needed something to keep me accountable - and hopefully posting online, as I work through my scale-losses, is going to be a part of a winning formula for me.

Nice to meet you.
Thank you for the welcome and congratulations on starting as well.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:44 AM   #8  

I do like Mondays....a fresh week to stare down and I usually have a good plan for a Monday. Today, I am only eating protein and today I will get in my cardio workout after work. So, I should sleep better, too.

My week after today is a little more wonky. I will weight-lift on Tuesday. Wednesday is my ordinary rest day. Thursday is yoga. Friday is weight-lifting. Saturday is yoga. Sunday I play badminton with teenage son.

I like having all of my exercise written down. Exercise, for me, is so necessary for stress-management and for sleep. I easily "exhale" when I see all the lovely workouts written down.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:10 AM   #9  

Quote:
I do like Mondays....a fresh week to stare down and I usually have a good plan for a Monday. Today, I am only eating protein and today I will get in my cardio workout after work. So, I should sleep better, too.

My week after today is a little more wonky. I will weight-lift on Tuesday. Wednesday is my ordinary rest day. Thursday is yoga. Friday is weight-lifting. Saturday is yoga. Sunday I play badminton with teenage son.

I like having all of my exercise written down. Exercise, for me, is so necessary for stress-management and for sleep. I easily "exhale" when I see all the lovely workouts written down.

Your exercise plan sounds fun and helpful to have written down, as you say. I used to love badminton when I wasn't younger, so you gave me a bit of nostalgia with that. What kind of yoga do you do? I used to love taking yoga classes years ago. It's funny how I liked it so much yet have such a hard time convincing myself to do a gentle 15 minute routine of it every day. Funny how that works!
Old 03-27-2018, 01:29 PM   #10  

I actually don't like yoga that much!! I did do bikram hot yoga, probably about 8- 9- years ago, and I practised it like 3 x a week for about 2.5 years. Got bored. And, it takes TOO MUCH TIME.

So, the only reason I have plopped yoga back into my workout is that I feel like I need a really, really good stretch at least once per week. The 10-minute stretch at the end of my usual workouts is fine...but, I am aging and I just want to remain flexible and limber and mobile. So, I did find a hatha-yoga teacher who is AWESOME.

She does a ladies-only class at this little unknown gym. Sometimes she does "yin", but mostly hatha and a little bit of flow. Flow is harder for me because I don't like my back bending quickly - slower movements work more like "stretching" for me.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:40 PM   #11  

Quote:
I actually don't like yoga that much!! I did do bikram hot yoga, probably about 8- 9- years ago, and I practised it like 3 x a week for about 2.5 years. Got bored. And, it takes TOO MUCH TIME.

So, the only reason I have plopped yoga back into my workout is that I feel like I need a really, really good stretch at least once per week. The 10-minute stretch at the end of my usual workouts is fine...but, I am aging and I just want to remain flexible and limber and mobile. So, I did find a hatha-yoga teacher who is AWESOME.

She does a ladies-only class at this little unknown gym. Sometimes she does "yin", but mostly hatha and a little bit of flow. Flow is harder for me because I don't like my back bending quickly - slower movements work more like "stretching" for me.
That's awesome! Yeah, I don't have much of a choice-- I can only do the slow movements, that's why it's only stretching for me. Why does bikram yoga take too much time?
Old 04-02-2018, 06:52 AM   #12  

Hey,

You are welcome, I know it is really amazing, it only took 4 weeks to lose 4 kilos, so I am really very happy, I am glad I contacted her, she is really very helpful, of course I can give you her email, it is bettyboop13 AT outlook.com, she is really good. Thanks . .Pat
kaya35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:33 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaya35 View Post
Hey,

You are welcome, I know it is really amazing, it only took 4 weeks to lose 4 kilos, so I am really very happy, I am glad I contacted her, she is really very helpful, of course I can give you her email, it is bettyboop13 AT outlook.com, she is really good. Thanks . .Pat
Nice! Thanks so much!