Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 02-20-2018, 02:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/265/165

Height: 5'10"

Default Let's Try This

Greetings all,

I just happened to stumble upon this forum today. I have heard of 3FC before but never realized there is a forum. I find them a bit more fun than the usual update your page, track your food type sites. My internet is poor here and so it often causes frustration I don't need.

I am on day two of the Mayo Clinic diet. I decided to join the website for 13 weeks and see what it offers. Because I am the only one doing this I find the breakfasts for two and dinners for four a bit annoying. I doubled the breakfast and will punt with lunch. That means at this time I am preparing four days in advance. This part of the program is only for two weeks so I'll do ok.

My biggest challenges are I have a tendency to not eat enough when I think I am. Tracking sure made a difference there! I also drive for a living and haven't a real lunch break so it needs to be easy to eat while on the road. Some days I have the time to take, others I don't and I never know day to day what kind of day it will be. I find most programs aren't real helpful there.

That also means a cold lunch for the most part. This time of year it means a FROZEN lunch. Nothing more fun that frozen baby carrots!

I also am exhausted at the end of the day and don't like working out. I live in the middle of nowhere and the closest gym is 1/2 hour away. Walking my dirt road gets OLD and boring and this year, icy. I know I need to change this but right now I am not ready. I wear a fitbit and it laughs at me every day.

Three years ago I lost 40# and felt good. Then my Dr. put me on HBP drugs and I swear they make me crave salt! I have to visit with her tomorrow and am not looking forward to it at all. The last time I asked her about the salt problem she handed me a 10 page printout on diet. I weigh more now than I did then. It is maddening!!

Anyway, that is a glimpse into my journey thus far. Yippee, huh?

Chris
Crispyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 257/230.0/156

Height: 5' 8"

Chris: welcome! Can you ask your doctor if there is a better med for you? I know my family member had issues with weight gain and tiredness and the doctor was good on switching meds for bp and then after use of the new those changes became evident as th weight started to move and the puffiness subsided.

I hear you on the distance to work out - same predictament if I want to indoor swim. Our state would be doing wonders if they made it easier to have access to these type of facilities at each school (pool/gym for community use opposite school hours). I’ve only found them in more populated towns. Where I am - it’s the trek.

Good luck w the mayo diet. If I read right you have leftovers - are any freezeable so you aren’t having to eat them back to back? Or can you half the recipe?

Welcome to the site and good luck on your journey.

Last edited by lemonthyme; 02-20-2018 at 05:03 PM.
lemonthyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:52 PM   #3  

I don't like to cook so much anymore. If I'm going to make one meal may as well make four. It just isn't fun. I have a persnickety husband who likes crap out of a box or can so what he makes doesn't cut it for me. He's the type who is naturally thin so can live off of junk without it showing. I gain weight when I smell a vanilla candle .

I thought of freezing them but then I have to come home and make something and half the time that is where I get into trouble. Additionally, I haven't quite figure out how to pack a lunch that will sustain me without me wanting a darn bag of potato chips or something after work. I get sick of veggies. How many carrot sticks or apples can one eat?

I plan to bring it up again tomorrow with the Dr. She is new. The old one left and so there is no history here. I wish I had just not started these dumb pills but they scared me into it. My BP wasn't that high and I know with exercise I can get it down. We'll see how much time I get. Last time was was slam bam thank you ma'am, pay $170.00. Oh and here are some papers on a diet. Like I don't know all that already. I've been fat for now half my life now! (shock...just did the math)

I heard awhile back our local motel lets people come swim at certain hours. I know we've rented it for the 4H. Our schools do too but the hours are so off for me and both schools that have them are 1/2 hour away. It is discouraging that an hour workout ends up being 2 1/2 hours. I guess I have my priorities all wrong.

Anyway, I have survived day two. I had the first two days off of work so tomorrow will be a test. Leave here at 7am, work, Dr. at 4pm if I get done in time (roads are horrendously icy), no stop at home in-between and Dr. and work are 50 minutes apart. I am living the dream! LOL.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 02-21-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:43 PM   #4  
mjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispyo View Post
I thought of freezing them but then I have to come home and make something and half the time that is where I get into trouble. Additionally, I haven't quite figure out how to pack a lunch that will sustain me without me wanting a darn bag of potato chips or something after work. I get sick of veggies. How many carrot sticks or apples can one eat?
Foods that are high in fiber, protein, or water tend to be filling. Vegetables and fruit are filling because they're high in both fiber and water. Some other filling foods are eggs, fish, chicken, whole grains (e.g. quinoa, barley, amaranth), beans, and (plain) greek yogurt. Potato chips are not very filling. If you're just eating carrots and apples for lunch, then the problem might be not enough protein.
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:29 AM   #5  

Hi @mjf. No not just carrots and apples for lunch, LOL. But I hear you. It gets to be a long day at work and the biggest issue is covering the half hour between gassing up and getting home. But I'll figure it out. I hate eating while driving, it isn't good. All the "eat mindfully" etc. goes right out the window...literally!

I've started carrying 1/2 cup of nuts. They have a little salt I am craving too.