General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/166/120

Height: 5'1

Default Home Meal Delivery

Please let me know if this is not allowed. I am not asking for reps from the companies to weight in (ha), but rather from fellow weight loss participants who have tried any of these delivery meal services, and what their experiences were.

1) Were there enough healthy choices?
2) Did they list the nutrition on each recipe?
3) Did you have to commit to a minimum ordering per week or month?
4) Only if you knew... does the price outweigh the cost of grocery shopping on your own, and prices for the fresh produce/proteins/goods if you went to your best grocer?

I'm talking about Hello Fresh, Blue Apron, Home Chef, (and any others in US)

Thanks.
tinypixiexoxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:05 AM   #2  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Hi,

I've been using Hello Fresh for about 6 weeks now. My husband is a bit of a fussy eater when it comes to vegetables so when I checked out Blue Apron, Home Chef and Sun Basket - they had foods I would eat but not my husband (ie. artichokes, sweet potatoes, zucchini, mushrooms). Hello Fresh was more traditional with their basic plan - basic includes meat as the protein, they have another plan for vegetarian meals.

So far we like it. The one time we had an issue due to extremely cold temperatures, Customer Service was fantastic. We tried some things we might not ordinarily have eaten and so far have liked everything we had. I would classify the food subscription plans as one of convenience and fresh tasty meals rather than geared to calorie restricted diets and they certainly aren't for those who have to work with a tight budget. I was worried there might not be enough food but I have to say there is more than enough for 2 people. We are not stuffed but we are well satisfied.

To answer your questions:
1) Were there enough healthy choices? Except for canned tomatoes and some condiments, everything is fresh. My one criticism is that many of the meals (or at least the ones I have selected) have potatoes (sweet, fingerling or Idaho) as one of the side dishes. Many of the vegetables like the potatoes or green beans are roasted in the oven with a bit of olive oil. You could easily steam the beans instead of roasting them or get a bag of salad mix (on your own) to substitute out the potato or tweak things slightly to shave some calories.
2) Did they list the nutrition on each recipe? Yes - it's on the website for each menu offering and you also get a card with your shipment that lists every meal offered that week and the nutrition information for each.
3) Did you have to commit to a minimum ordering per week or month? Minimum order is 3 meals with 2 portions each. You can skip a week if you want to but you have to go in and manually select your meals or tell them to skip it each week, otherwise they will make selections for you. I don't know if you can skip several weeks for an extended period. You can chat with them - support is very helpful.
4) Only if you knew... does the price outweigh the cost of grocery shopping on your own, and prices for the fresh produce/proteins/goods if you went to your best grocer? The stuff is really fresh, I have had no issues with quality. For me, yes it's cheaper than the grocery store ONLY because I am not the kind of person who can go into the store for just the things on my list. I go in for tomatoes and bananas and next thing you know my cart is filled with "oh the blueberries look good today, and they have chicken on sale and hmmm they have that new yogurt I saw on tv". Which makes my bananas and tomatoes cost $50 when all is said and done. So yes - with Hello Fresh, I get just enough of what I need, no wilted or wasted extra produce or meat I toss from the refrigerator at the end of the week. It's also portioned so no temptation of eating more than you should. Some of the meals can be higher in calories than you might want so look at the menus ahead of time and decide for yourself. Also this stuff is fresh meat and produce. While it will last for a couple of days, you should plan to make the meals the week you get the delivery - it's not going to hold up well if you get it on Tuesday and don't start cooking until the following Monday. So take that into consideration too.

The nice thing is that the menus are well planned - the food tastes good and the flavors go well together. I've only been doing this recently but given options in their archives, I think they offer salads and lighter items in the warmer months. The food is easy to prepare - 20 or 30 minutes and dinner is ready. I like the idea of not having to constantly plan out what we are having to eat every day. I grab a bag of ingredients and dinner is on the table - helpful when you've had a busy day.

Hope I could answer some of your questions.

Last edited by happy2bme; 01-19-2018 at 10:42 AM. Reason: typo
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote