Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-12-2005, 06:26 PM   #1  
IR:0, Valarie:1

Smile Poll for post-ops...

Just a few questions about post-op life... I've read everything I can find about the surgery, post-op care, risks,etc. but have found very little online or in books about life-style.

Mostly, I aminterested in the nuts and bolts of everyday life.

1.) How much, and how quickly did you lose (i.e.- 60lbs in 1 year)? How long after the actual procedure did you notice a significant drop?
2.) Did the speed of loss affect you physically? Emotionally?
3.) What relationships did it affect most? Was/is your spouse supportive and happy for you?
4.) If you have skin sags as a result of the surgery, how do you feel your age affected the outcome? Do other environmental factors contribute to this?
5.) Do you see "you" in the mirror? Is it the old you, a new you, or the you that was hidden inside?
6.) How long after surgery did you go without weightlifting and intense cardio? Can you do all of the things at the gym that you'd like?

Thanks in advance for teaching the (as yet) uninitiated!

-Valarie
Valarie250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 01:14 PM   #2  

Default C'mon!

Ladies, I know I'm asking a lot of questions, I know you're busy people... but pretty please My sister sent me an email yesturday- she found the "zenacap" website and it apparently says that 1 of every 50 people die from the surgery... another site she found said that "gastric bypass, another way of saying stomach stapling..." it echoed the 1 in 50 theory and also advocated getting direct sunlight as a form of dieting... I pointed out that both sites were selling a diet pill, and that if they don't know the difference between bypass and stapling she shouldn't listen... She's still really freaked out though If you fine women will answer some of these questions I can show her this site, show her that real people have done it, it has worked, and their lives are better, if not different, for it... Thanks in advance for your time!

Valarie
Old 10-13-2005, 02:25 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

valarie - how about if you broke up your questions into a couple of posts? i was going to do that last night, but had to bail out the basement...

or if you'd like some help in setting up some polls, where people had multiple choice answers, and then they could add a few comments, i'll be happy to help you with that.

i have major deadlines, the alzheimers mom, and a flooded basement. when i saw your questions, i figured i'd try to cope with them over the weekend. each of them has LONG answers... and lots of comments...

not ignoring you - just don't have enough time to answer everything all at once!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 02:29 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

How much, and how quickly did you lose (i.e.- 60lbs in 1 year)? How long after the actual procedure did you notice a significant drop?

i lost 1.5 pounds a day for the first 6 weeks. pookie had a weight gain. go figure

2.) Did the speed of loss affect you physically? Emotionally?

varies for each person. in a word, yes. major.

3.) What relationships did it affect most? Was/is your spouse supportive and happy for you?

not married. family had weird response - some anger from them. some jealousy

4.) If you have skin sags as a result of the surgery, how do you feel your age affected the outcome? Do other environmental factors contribute to this?

on MAINTAINERS forum is a huge thread on sagging skin. better answers than i can provide here. age is a factor, so is vitamin status, but most significantly is the degree of overweight. also hydration.

5.) Do you see "you" in the mirror? Is it the old you, a new you, or the you that was hidden inside?

requires a long LONG answer, but it varies from person to person

6.) How long after surgery did you go without weightlifting and intense cardio? Can you do all of the things at the gym that you'd like?

weightlifting - almost a year. cardio - immediately, and it stepped up as i was able to handle it. 'intense' varies for each person. there's no reason to suffer here.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:44 AM   #5  

Smile Sorry :)

Do you want me to make six new threads, one for each question? Sorry to ask so much, I'm just trying to get info to help make those around me more comfortable with this choice of mine Let me know what you'd like me to do!

Valarie
Old 10-14-2005, 12:15 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

how about if i come up with some ideas and PM you later?

and believe me, people WILL answer, but as with everything, it's gotta be fairly easy to do...
Old 10-14-2005, 12:50 PM   #7  

Valarie
Im from the Pittsburgh PA area..and I went to Allegheny General for my surgery last May,2004. After the surgery, for the first three weeks, we are on a liquid diet, then we go back and see the doc. At that time, I lost 22 lbs and was quite happy to say the least. It seems the heavier you are, the more you will lose...at that time and overall. Anyhow..my husband hates this...lol..he wants me to be fat cause this is threatening to him. If Im fat then no one will notice me. He does everything he can to keep me fat, ie..cookies, icecream, junk food, etc, but I pay no attention to him. My daughter at first hated me having this surgery cause initially she wanted it..but shes a runner...and just no way was she qualified. Now shes very happy for me, says that I looked wonderful.
On the Oprah show I did see a doc who said that 1 out of every 200 patients will die from this surgery,...and I thought, yeah, but how many are dying daily from all the fat they are carrying around. So for me that didnt even consider into my decision.
The skin will sag with any quick weight loss diet..including this surgery. The younger you are though....there is a tendency for some of the skin to snap back, but, believe me, not all of it. Im 63 so for me....I will always carry this excess skin. Alot of women then will opt for plastics and for some their insurance will cover them...but more insurance companies every day are saying no. Sometimes the doc can convince them otherwise. Sometimes even the patient can convince them (insurance comps). It all depends on how much especially the stomach hangs and if you have a bad rash. And, your doc will tell you that all the exercises in the world will NOT help your stomach... and yeah I do do them..all of them..in hopes that they are wrong...
From the first day till right now, I have never had any problem because of my surgery, but I do as the doc says but not everyone is that fortunate. Some do have problems, major problems, it just happens. This surgery isnt for everyone but for me it was a God send. I prayed and prayed about it..and it seem like this was the only answer for me..and I would do it again and again...ohh yeah..I have only lost 75 lbs in a year and a half..but Im sooo happy with that that if I never lose another lb..so what...I went from a size 22 down to a 16.....and now..I am normal...
Janet
janet_921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 02:16 AM   #8  
I'm a Loser!

Smile

Hi Valerie!

I'm Lynn and I noticed that we are about the same age. I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.

1.) How much, and how quickly did you lose (i.e.- 60lbs in 1 year)? I am only two months post-op and lost 25 my first month and then 20 the 2nd. That's a total of 45 pounds so far.

How long after the actual procedure did you notice a significant drop? I think after my 2nd week, I lost like 10 pounds, which was crazy!

2.) Did the speed of loss affect you physically? Do you mean like did I have a physical reaction from losing so quickly? No. I look thinner, if that's what you mean, lol. I can see that my face has thinned out and my double chin has almost disappeared into only one chin and my collar bones are emerging, and my clothes are being held up with safety pins until I go shooping. Emotionally? I have so much more confidence and self esteem!

3.) What relationships did it affect most? No one was upset that I was having the surgery and everyone was supportive.

4.) If you have skin sags as a result of the surgery, how do you feel your age affected the outcome? Since I'm young, I hope I do not have this problem, lol. Do other environmental factors contribute to this?

5.) Do you see "you" in the mirror? Is it the old you, a new you, or the you that was hidden inside? Right now I still see the old me since it's still early in the game.

6.) How long after surgery did you go without weightlifting and intense cardio? My surgery was Lap RNY so I was able to do everything like go back to school, drive, exercise, lift weight, etc on my 3rd week. Can you do all of the things at the gym that you'd like? I don't goto the gym. I exercise at home to videos.

I hope this helps. If you have anymore questions or just want to talk, feel free to email me!

-Lynn
297/252/140
LoserLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 03:01 PM   #9  

Default Thanks

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond, I know it was a lot! Being a part of this forum has really helped me in calming my family about the surgery- especially firsthand accounts like yours.

Anyone else?

Valarie
Old 10-17-2005, 10:29 PM   #10  
I'm a Loser!

Talking Obesityhelp.com

Valerie, have you tried any of the forums or message boards at obesityhelp.com? There are boards by region, by age, and by surgery date. If you already knew all this, sorry,lol. If not, then you should definately check it out.

-Lynn
Lap RNY 8-16-05
297/252/140
LoserLynn is offline   Reply With Quote