Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 09:59 PM   #1  
for me, for them

S/C/G: 345/ticker

Height: 5'10"

Question Healthy Mozarrella Sticks?

I always loved the mozarrella sticks at places like Fridays and Applebees. Does anyone have a good healthy way of preparing a version of these?
Old 10-14-2005, 12:56 AM   #2  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

I remember seeing an episode of Calorie Commando on FoodTV that redid mozzarella sticks... it was a really simple recipe too (mozzarella, cooking spray, and seasoned breadcrumbs) and its baked instead of fried. Haven't tried this recipe myself, but I'm sure it's less unhealthy than the restaurant fried variant.

Each serving (3 "pieces") has 234 calories, 13g fat (6 saturated) and 12g carbs.

Also, for dipping opt for pico de gallo instead of the usual marinara. Tons more fresh flavor and much less calories.

Recipe at below link:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._29808,00.html

Last edited by AquaWarlock; 10-14-2005 at 12:59 AM.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:50 PM   #3  

Default mozarella "sticks"

I have such a craving for stuff like this. What I used to do at work for "snack" time, was take 2 low-fat mozarella (or monterey jack) cheese sticks and lay them on a microwave-safe plate. I'd put a spoonful of no-sugar-added marinara/pasta sauce (Hunt's has a good one) on top and then I'd just microwave it for 15-20 seconds to warm it. (Any longer and they melt into nothing.)

It doesn't have the crunch of the bread crumbs, but for me it totally satisfied my craving for gooey melty cheese and red sauce. Just make sure to eat it with a fork and NOT with your fingers!
Old 10-17-2005, 02:29 PM   #4  
for me, for them

S/C/G: 345/ticker

Height: 5'10"

I can't wait to try these. Thanks you guys for the great ideas.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:22 AM   #5  
Soon 2 B former fat chick

WOW, I might have to try that. Though I am not supposed to have bread of any kind. It's great they have low fat mozarella sticks that you can use..
Old 10-20-2005, 09:39 AM   #6  
Soon 2 B former fat chick

A lot of those recipes from the Calorie Commando sound too good to be true. Is this just my apprehension getting the better of me or are they really OK?
Old 10-20-2005, 12:22 PM   #7  
One day at a time

I LOVE calorie commando! I remember seeing the mozz stick episode but haven't tried it yet. Now you girls have me craving them. I'm gonna have to try that this weekend!
Old 10-20-2005, 12:43 PM   #8  
One day at a time

Hey girls.. I found that recipe on Foodtv.com. Here it is

Crunchy Mozzarella
Recipe courtesy Juan-Carlos Cruz

12 short sprays olive oil cooking spray
1 cup Italian-seasoned bread crumbs
8 ounces low-moisture part-skim mozzarella, cut into 12 pieces

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spray a nonstick mini muffin tin with olive oil cooking spray. Press half of the bread crumb mixture evenly into each of the mini muffin cups; reserve the other half. Add 1 mozzarella piece to each muffin cup and cover with remaining bread crumb mixture. Make sure that the cheese is completely buried in the bread crumb mixture. Cook for 10 minutes or until top layer of bread crumbs is crunchy and cheese is soft. Remove tin from oven and allow to cool in tin for 5 minutes. Remove from tin with a teaspoon. Serve warm.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:21 PM   #9  

I've also heard that you can use phyllo dough. Take the lowfat string cheese and cut each in half, then wrap in a couple layers of phyllo dough, spray with no cal butter spray and bake.

I know that three sheets of phyllo dough are 180 cal and 1 g of fat. But that's for the whole big sheet. When you cut that sheet into a bunch of little rectangles each phyllo dough serving will be pretty small. And cutting the mozarella sticks in half cuts the calories from 60 to 30 forr the cheese.

I personally love phyllo dough, and it always turns out really crunchy.
I've never tried this, but I need to!
Let me know if anyone does and how it turns out.
Closed Thread