Old 10-11-2005, 08:40 PM   #1  
learning to live

S/C/G: 443/270/200

Height: 5'0"

Default 300+ And Ready To Try Again.. #769!

WELCOME !!!

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We often use a "Topic of the Day" for discussion.

Motivational Monday
Tuesday Tips
Wednesday Wish List .. and What you are doing to obtain it.
Thankful Thursday
FUN Friday ... don't wait until you lose your weight.
Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Share your Success Sunday

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We often find them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations.

We have several extra threads going on simutaneously such as Monthly Challenges, Weekly Weigh-ins, Recipes, Bios, and more. Please feel free to check them all out.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group...
we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us.

WELCOME!

I know you'll all agree that we are really thankful for the free services here at 3FC. The sisters offer all of this support and information with no charges to us. There are a couple of ways though that we can help out.

If you are thinking about buying anything at Amazon, why not help out 3FC at the same time? You can do this by clicking on the button for Amazon on any page in the forum, or by clicking on the button on the main 3FC page at www.3fatchicks.com . A portion of your purchase price will be given to 3FC by Amazon. It doesn't increase your price at all, but it does help out 3FC. You can use any of the Amazon.com links that you see on the site in order to help contribute to the site.

Also, BTW, in case you didn't know it, you can view the message boards "ad free" for a minimal charge. I think it's like $15 for 6 months. A very small investment to be rid of the annoying ads and make your pages load quicker.

There have been some concerns expressed by the powers that be about copyright infringement. So please, if you are directly quoting someone else or printing an article in whole or in part, please give credit where credit is due!!!!
brandnewme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 03:21 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 329/tracker/168

Height: 5'6"

Hello All,

Well it's another dismal day, ugh, I hate weather like this. I really don't want to do anything. But right now I am just waiting for my daughter to leave for school and then I will be up to sort out some laundry, and then to clean downstairs. One thing I have noticed is that because I clean so often, it really isn't as much work as it was to begin with. I even cleaned the glass oven doors yesterday. Well last night actually. I find when I have a case of the munchies it's best for me to do some work so I keep my mind off it.

Catherine - so wonderful that you got to check in with us, and I am really pleased you are having such a great time. That key lime pie sounds delicous. Have heard of it but have never tried it, full fat, or low fat. You will have to share the recipe please

Sue - congratulations on passing your final exam obviously all your hard work has paid off. That's wonderful news!!

Amy - that is fantastic that you have given up smoking, did you find you gained weight though because of it? Good for you for now giving up on the coffee too. Maybe you could try some decaf just to see if you like it? My sister smokes, and I get so worried for her and frustrated because in the past ten years she has had two seperate serious health problems, first of all she had a brain haemorrage and then a few years later she got breast cancer. Both times, especially with the haemorrage she couldn't smoke when she was in hospital, and then as soon as she is allowed up from bed she gets her hubby to push her in a wheel chair to the smoking area!!! Her arguement is that she didn't choose for it to be her last cigarette when she got ill, so she would smoke again, savour that last one, and give up herself. But she gives up like I USED to diet. Last's a few months then gives in. I am hoping my staying on track will motivate her into staying on track when she next attempts to give up the cigarettes.

That's great that you tried an elyptical machine today and that you enjoyed it. I must admit although I really want one, I haven't actually tried one. They just look great and so much more interesting than walking on a treadmill

Andrea - good for you for not buying any Halloween candy yet. I did buy some yesterday, but I am not even the slightest bit tempted to eat it lol. It helps that it's all gruesome stuff like jelly eyeballs and the like,

Sounds like you are getting some great exercise in, and I am now really itching to try an elyptical machine myself. I want to buy one, but for one that takes my current weight we are talking about $1000 so I think I will just wait til I am lighter and go for a cheaper version.

I wonder what that book is like by Gillian Michaels. I remember her from The Biggest Loser and I must admit I don't like her approach to exercise, so I doubt I would like her book. If I was on the show and she made me exercise til I vomited I would have walked. Not because I am lazy, but because there is no need to be pushed that hard. The blue team's trainer was excellent, and kinda cute lol, shhhh don't tell hubby I said that Anyway if you do get the book you will have to let us know if it was any good.

Ok all kids are out of the house now so time to get up and get some work done. I will undoubtedly be back later on. So bye for now,

Hugs,

Ammi
AmmiUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 04:07 AM   #3  
Because I deserve it!

S/C/G: 315.4/311/165

Height: 5'11"

YIKES! Nearly 3AM and I am up surfing the net. My dog woke me up about two hours ago to go outside and I wasn't able to get back to sleep. So here I am. I will be miserable at work tomorrrow....well, later today actually.

I must admit I continue to struggle with my eating. I seem to be rebelling against any sort of limitation I give myself. It's very frustrating. Oh well, just keep trying, I guess.

Ammi - your story about your sis smoking at the hospital reminds me of a few years ago when my mom was in for back surgery. They like you to get up and walk around after surgery you know. Well, my mom would not only walk with the nurses when they made her, she would go for walks on her own two. All the nurses bragged about what a good patient she was, doing the extra walking. Little did they know she was walking to the fire escape to sneak a smoke! If we can say nothing else about them, we can say smokers are a dedicated bunch!

Catherine - so glad to hear from you. Sounds like things are going well for you with your guy and his family. So happy for you!

Sue - Way to go on your exam! You are always working so hard at school and your dedication really impresses me. I don't think I could do it!

Welcome to Manda. Always glad to see new faces. Our group certainly seems to be growing and it is very nice!

Well, I should try to see if I can get a couple more hours of sleep before the alarm goes off. Wish me luck!
Xena2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 04:29 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 300+/275/150

Height: 5'8"

Hello everyone , ammi-I am taking some of my herbal tabs for ibs, checked with doc, I've had buscopen before and the probiotics, which my herbalist reccomended. I will try these tabs, they've worked before, they taste AWFUL but do work, if they don't I'll try some of the probiotics again.

All the talk of halloween, its not as big in the UK as the US, but I do buy sweets, as long as the packet is sealed I'm ok! I love to see the kids dressed up and my boys (2&4) are the right age to be amazed. I used to take my older son and his friends out, I loved making him costumes, but there were a lot of people who were nasty about it, I don't know why they don't put a notice up at their door saying 'NO TRICK OR TREATERS' or something, one time we were sworn at and threatened, by an old man! it was scary and upsetting for all of us.
I love the weather this time of year, crisp cold air and hazy sunshine, crispy leaves and frost, I don't like the rain, here in the UK, it seems to rain so much!
Glad to hear from catherine, its great everything is living up to her expectations!
Sorry about the exams and stress related to teaching, it will be over soon and you'll only have the stress of lesson plans, discipline, marking and irate/awkward parents, you'll be wishing you were back at coll/uni! NOT REALLY! It wil be worth it, to help a child learn one new thing and to see the amazement or sheer excitement will make all of this stress seem worth it.

bye for now,
sharon
voodoo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 06:32 AM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I don't have any halloween candy in my house, either, and if I do buy any (which I'm not sure we will since we may not even be home that night), it will be something I'm not very fond of so I don't pick at it (one for each kid, one for me, one for Jeff, one for me...). Of course, I don't have much food in my place at all right now, and what little food I do have, I packed it all away last night for the move, so mow my food options are only what is in my fridge--I think I have 2 eggs, 2 jars of pineapple chunks, and a bunch of condiments (ketchup, mustard, bbq sauce, strawberry jam...) Jeff's going to scream when he sees our first grocery shopping bill since we have to buy pretty much everything!

So yeah, all of my kitchen cabinets and drawers are now completely empty, as are my closets, which is a relief because I know that all I have left to pack is just what I can see, ya know--nothing else hiding anywhere I should be able to finish packing tonight so I can spend tomorrow afternoon cleaning the few spots on the carpet, cleaning the bathroom, and cleaning the kitchen. Then Friday, we pick up the moving truck!!

I'm a little nervous about one aspect of the move--switching to a new TOPS group. The one I have right now is extremely active and suportive. I went to one with my mother when I was younger, and everyone acted like it was a chore to be there, and they even stopped having meetings over the summers. Hello, I need support year-round! I do not only diet when it's cold outside! So anyway, I am hoping hoping hoping that the new TOPS group I transfer to will be just as positive and helpful as the one I have now
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 07:53 AM   #6  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

HI gals!

Jillybean, just be your normal outgoing self! Everyone else will love you! Maybe YOU are exactly what THEY need!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 07:57 AM   #7  

Good morning!

I haven't bought any Halloween candy either. I'm really afraid to have it in the house. I don't have that much restraint some times.

Ammi, I did gain weight when I quit smoking, about 30 lbs over the last year! But I'm not sorry I quit. For years my excuse was I have to smoke so I won't gain any more weight, but you see you that worked out. So now I'm just going to lose weight without smoking.

I would be interested in the book by Gillian Michaels, reading helps keep me motivated. Right now I've been reading an old copy of Fitness for dummies (I really like the Dummies books).

Amy
amylizmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 09:36 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Wow, disappear from the board for a couple of days and it's impossible to keep up!

Thanks for all your low-fat banana bread suggestions -- I will have to check them out.

Like many of you, we are not buying halloween candy until the day. I think I will work in to have a little of it, but right now, it's not appealing (we'll see what happens when it's in the house!).

Last night I was very frustrated with my husband and decided to exercise on the treadmill rather than eat! Our is in the basement, so I closed the door, put my headphones on and just SCREAMED to the music (at least at first). I think I scared the dogs. I ended up doing a longer workout, which was nice, but I didn't like the impetus for it. I think I'd rather not be frustrated to start-- too mentally taxing.

Jill -- good luck with your move!

Ammi -- I know what you mean about the house being easier to clean when you do it regularly -- I wish I were better at that.

Amy -- I like the dummies books too!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 10:11 AM   #9  
trying again!

S/C/G: 417/323/185

Good Morning everyone!

I tackled the Halloween thing last year. We live in a pretty populated area and usually have about 300-325 children knocking at our door. At the end of last summer, we were out shopping and found boxes of jumbo size Mr. Freezies for about $2.00/100 ct. We decided that we would try those although we weren't sure how the kids would react. They loved them! So from now on that is what we are handing out. This year we even bought the sugar-free ones! Hubby and I aren't tempted to eat them because they are not frozen and the kids enjoy them because it is something different for them.

I quit smoking about four years ago now. It was hard and I put on about 60lbs. But I had my mind made up and wanted to prove to myself that I could do it! I am still stuggling with de-programming myself of those habits which I picked up, and with taking that weight off.

As far as Jillian Micheals book goes, I may have to hunt that one up. I could use someone yelling at me to get my butt off the couch. I try to work in as much exercise as I can, but I know that I can do more. I wish I could afford a personal trainer, even if she is a

Jill~ Good luck with the move! Think of all the calories you will burn off!

We didn't end up going to the movies last night after all. I had forgotten that the "Biggest Loser" was on. I'm happy I stayed home to watch it too! As much as sometimes I don't like the show, I found last night very motivational to see everyone's videos from home wishing them well. I cried like a blubbering idiot! We are going tonight after french class! I'll give you all the scoop when I get home

Hope everyone has a great day!

Brenda
going to lose 200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 10:36 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 329/tracker/168

Hello,

I am back again, managed to clean the living room and the kitchen today then headed back to bed for a couple of hours sleep. Feeling far more human now lol.

Xena - sorry to hear your dog woke you early and you were unable to sleep. I hope after some time on the PC you managed to get a couple more hours and that you weren't dead tired in work.

Oh yes you are so right about smokers, they do seem a resiliant lot that go through hoops to make sure they can have their ciggie. There is an ad over here at the moment for Nicorette chewing gum. A guy asks his mate in work if he wants to go out for a ciggie. He says no thanks, so the other guy bums his ciggies from him. The good guy sits comfortably at his desk with his Nicorette, and the smoker goes out in over exaggerated gale force winds and torrential rain, trying to keep an umbrella up so he can light his ciggie. It makes me laugh because it is so true.

What diet are you following Xena? You say you seem to be rebelling now because you hate restricting yourself. Have you tried WW points? For me it really is the best kind of diet because although, yes, you do have to stick within a points range, you still can eat whatever you want. In diets of old when you had to live on salad or cabbage soup I hated dieting so much, but with WW it's not such a chore. The chore now is trying to make sure I get some exercise!!

Sharon - I am really sorry that you had that bad experience once when you took the boys trick or treating. Although the old guy should have realised two small kids with their mum are no threat, he probably was fed up of answering the door and putting up with teenagers with bin bags as costumes coming around demanding money. That's no excuse for him being so nasty in front of two little boys, but it's probably one of the reasons he was.

I used to get packets of Chewits, or a big bag of lollipops to give out to the trick or treaters. But one year I realised it was just a waste of my time and money. First of all I had to beautifully dressed up little girls come around with their mum. But they had baby milk tins all prettied up and made into a money box. I offered them sweets and they said could they have money!!!! That year I had a bag of lollipops and a group of teenagers turned up. I thought well they are getting what little genuine trick or treaters get, but I felt weird doling out one lollypop each. So I offered the bag out for them to take one for themselves. One of them grabbed the lot and ran. What a pig. So from that day to this we keep our curtains closed and don't answer the door. I know a lot of people won't answer their doors because if they do turn the older kids away they have their gardens trashed or windows smashed. So it really isn't a holiday that is going to take off over here. I used to dress my daughter up, but just took her to visit her nan, or my neighbours that doted on her. I hope your boys will enjoy dressing up, and that you take some photos for us to see

Jill - Wow, I am impressed, you have gone from not having packed a thing, to having nearly everything packed. I don't know if you are like me, but right up until I have the removal van turn up I am checking and double checking every door, under every object just to make sure I haven't left anything behind.

I hope your move and all the unpacking goes well, and that you do find a nice TOPS class. Like Jen said, you will be loved by everybody just by being you, and perhaps you will be just what a dull class needs to get it up and motivated!!

Amy - that isn't too bad gaining 30lbs by giving up smoking. Even though you were heavier I bet you were so much healthier and richer for not smoking anymore. You are brilliant giving up, and now dieting too. Seems to me you are really taking control of your life and it's a fabulous feeling isn't it. When I am not dieting, I always feel more ashamed of how fat I am, and I would never dream of telling anybody how heavy I am. But when I diet, it's like I am saying, right, I am in control of me now, I am a mess, but I am changing that, and I don't feel so bad about my size then. Oh I still know I am a mess but a mess in control

Wyllen - that is awesome that you went and took your frustration out on your treadmill instead of doing any comfort eating!! I think if I ever get an exercise machine I definitely want it near my stereo so I can put headphones on and have music blaring while I am doing it. I don't think I would get away with the screaming thing though coz I live in an end of terraced house and they would hear me right down the row I know for you it wasn't the best inspiration to exercise, but when you see those lbs shifting it won't be so bad. I hope things are ok with hubby now by the way.

Brenda (200) - that is awesome that you gave up smoking. Yes you gained quite a lot of weight doing it, but like I said to Amy, I bet you felt better for it. A great motivation to give up other than for health is because they are SO expensive these days. How people can afford to smoke I really don't know. I am just glad Daren and I are non smokers, we really would lose weight if we smoked coz we couldn't afford food

WOW WOW WOW you really have a load of kids coming trick or treating don't you!!!!! Your idea of those Mr Freezies instead of candy is brilliant. Like you said, you don't get tempted coz they aren't frozen. Plus I think the kids when they have tucked into all their candy will still have their Mr Freezie in the freezer to eat.

Is it the second series of Biggest Loser US now? We just finished watching the first one, and now are seeing our own UK version. I am still in two minds about it all because you are taught that it's best to lose 1 or 2 lbs a week, and yet for most of the weeks the people on the show are having a bad week if they lose that. They all love it when they have 14 lb losses, or 5 or 6 etc. It just goes against what I have learned about losing it slowly and keeping it off. So anyway was the show worth staying in for? Glad you are still going to the movies though. What low fat snacks have you decided to take with you? Another thing I thought of that you could take is raisins.

I just had my lunch. I didn't feel like much so I had apricot jam on toast, and some snack a jacks. I am just finishing a green tea, and I feel satisfied. Funny to think that in days of old I would have had a lot more to eat and wouldn't know when to stop. I love being in control again, with such a great outcome at the end of it.

Time for me to get some emails written. I wish typing was an aerobic exercise Bye for now,

Hugs,

Ammi
AmmiUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 11:23 AM   #11  
trying again!

S/C/G: 417/323/185

Hello again Girls!
Ammi~ Don't quote me but I think we are actually in the third season of "Biggest Loser". I haven't watched the other seasons because I wasn't interested in others' weight loss since I was so big myself and just plainly had given up at that point. I'm sure if we all worked out that hard, the weight would drop off like that too! But alas, who has the time?? But it has drilled one thing into my head and that is "if you want it bad enough, only you can make it happen!" Great words to live by, and LIVE is the key word!

As far as movie snacks go I think I will do the rice cake thing or some grapes.. and maybe a sucker or something. I know its empty sugar but we are both used to eating a large popcorn so at least my mouth will be full
going to lose 200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 11:42 AM   #12  

It is actually the second season for "The Biggest Loser" I actually watched "The Biggest Loser" last season too but I probably had a bowl of ice cream in my hand before. I love watching it this season because I can relate to what they are going through and I love seeing their progress. In fact I need to go ahead and order Lillian's book. Well off to color with my son. He is on fall break from school....he is off all week. On Friday my husband is taking off work and we are all going to the Pumpkin Patch...we go every year and pick our own pumpkins. It is always so much fun...they have hay rides and all that good stuff. Can't wait to take pictures so I can do a scrapbook page. Hang in there girls!!

Last edited by AndreaS30; 10-12-2005 at 11:46 AM.
AndreaS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 11:44 AM   #13  

Jill -- I am sure that you will do great with your new TOPS group. Like Jeanette said maybe you are what they need.
AndreaS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 11:56 AM   #14  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Andrea: I think England has their own version of the show. I think that's what they are talking about.

You are correct about The American version, though!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 12:12 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 357/see tracker/150

Height: 5'2"

Morning Ladies~~

Having a very good day today. For one thing when I weighed myself today it came up 306 lbs. which means that I'm back to losing again. Being stalled for the week was SCARY. So I'm happy about that. I've also been afraid that my bf has been cheating on me and we actually got it all out in the open today. Now I know that it's crazy to find out that I was right, BUT...he broke up with her a while ago because of me. I'm back to where I was before--not weight wise--mind wise. I was depressed for a few years and didn't care about things. I have lost so many people over the last 3 years that a part of me just gave up. It's also when I started to gain even more weight. After his mother died in May, I was still kind of bummed but I was happy because I had lost 10 lbs. Unfortunately, I kept yo-yoing with those 10 lbs. for almost 3 months. One night around my birthday I can remember thinking about my Gram, my Aunt Linda, Peter, Mark, Mrs. King and my Aunt Lorraine. (These are the people that I've lost in the past 3 years.) I just remember thinking that they would all be so ashamed of me because I had given up. I didn't want that. And then finding the phone number of that girl--that just gave me the extra motivation to do it. Do I want to let my life be so much less than it can be because of my weight? I stopped myself from doing things with my bf because I was so ashamed of how I looked. I finally learned the "lesson" that my lost loved ones have taught me--life is for living and it's too short to just give up on yourself. So--while I'm not happy that he cheated on me I'm not giving up on him or on us. He's a good man who made a mistake and what makes me the happiest is that he chose me over this skinny young girl. Knowing that we love each other means that we can get through anything.

The Biggest Loser is a good show and Jillian is a good trainer. Don't judge her by the day that she over worked the guys. At another site that I go to they are all talking about how good her book actually is so you might want to give it a shot. They're also talking about it on the Biggest Loser forum that's here.

It was good to hear from Catherine. I'm so glad that she's enjoying herself.

I've decided that I'm NOT buying any Halloween candy either. I have a big box of single serving popcorn that I can give out and I had bought a huge box of mixed crackers and cookies. My bf doesn't like the cookies so I'll give them out as well. It serves two purposes that way--I get my money's worth and Halloween treats to boot. Usually if people have their porch lights off that means they don't want any trick or treaters. That man was just rude though--there's no need to be awful to a mother and her 2 little ones.

Well I have to go before I can finish answering everyone. Good job with staying on track ladies. Keep up the excellent work and attitudes. You are all so inspirational and I draw on you all day. If things get a little too tough I just think of you all and I get a little big of strength and I can usually resist the temptations that somehow crawl in front of my face.

Have a good one.

Vicki
dolfingirl2000 is offline   Reply With Quote