Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-09-2005, 10:42 PM   #1  
Dream Big

S/C/G: 233.4/see ticker/135

Height: 5'2

Default Scale Problems

Ok here's the situation. We went to the store today and tried out scales. Our old one was set about 5 or 6 lbs. above the 0 to match what the doctor's scale said the last time we weighed there. Ok so I'm in the store stepping on these scales (the ones that had batteries in them) and one said 187, another 165, another 235 etc.. which means they were all way off from what ours here at home said. Although I REALLY REALLY liked the one that read 165 . But the one we decided on was one that didn't have the battery already in it. (Hubby said that way we would know that 600 people hadn't used it there at the store and possibly messed it up) I get home get the battery in it and step on and it reads 5 pound heavier than what I thought I was based on my old scale. Now here's the question, do I just take 5 lbs off the reading when I weigh so that the weight pretty much coinsides with the way the old one read or do I go by what the new one says and just take that as my weight. Our old one was one of the ones with the little dial thingy and it was hard for me to read it, that's why we wanted a new one with a digital readout.

Last edited by timmyshawn; 10-09-2005 at 10:44 PM.
timmyshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 11:20 PM   #2  
Determined

If you have any dumbbells, weigh one of them. If the weight is accurate on your new scale, I would say go with that. I had the same issue as you, I had a scale (only mine was digital) that was cheap and only worked sometimes. So I invested in a good digital scale, but unfortunately I was about 7 pounds heavier on the new scale. I weighed my ten pound weight on it and the weight was accurate, so I just went with it. Kind of disappointing and I guess a little of a let down, but since it was a true accurate weight I just went with it.
happydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 11:53 PM   #3  
Dream Big

I don't have any dumbells, and I tried it with 3 5lb bags of sugar and it won't pick them up it'll just read 0.0 so I don't know how to gauge it.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:41 AM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

It really doesn't matter either way. I suggest sticking with what the current scale says only because it's easier than always remembering to subtract from the number it gives you. Almost every scale in the world you step on may give you a different reading (my gym scale is almost 10 pounds higher than my home scale, which is about 3 pounds higher than my TOPS scale ). As long as you pick one scale and stick with it, you will have an accurate record of how much weight you've lost, for a pound lost is a pound lost no matter what scale you're on! After all, there is no magic number--you should lose weight when you feel good, not when some mechanical device gives you a certain reading. We all have a ballpark figure in mind, but honestly, once you're that close to goal, 5 pounds probably won't make much of a difference, ya know?
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 07:59 AM   #5  
Dream Big

Default Thanks

Thanks jillybean. You're right. I'm just really going to hate posting a gain on my weight tracker ya know. That little thing is such a motivational tool for me. I guess seeing a higher # just freaked me out a little. I'll move on and just work harder to get those #'s down.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:15 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

If you change your scale don't post a gain -- can't you just restart your tracker at the higher number?

Ultimately, Jill'sright. You've lost what you've lost, no matter what scale you're on. That's the most important part!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote