Old 10-09-2005, 05:07 PM   #1  
Obsessive Poster

Talking Feeling Exhausted But Good.

I sat at this computer for three hours today reading every message as it popped up and commenting every so often. I was feeling really proud of myself. I had committed to losing weight! I was on my way! By next summer, I would be wearing bikinis and drinking daiquiris on the beach.

And then suddenly, I realized that I'd been sitting at the computer for three hours. My spirits collapsed (like a flan in a cupboard). As much as I'd like the opposite to be true, I'm not going to reach my goals with aerobic typing. So, at 4 o'clock, I got off my butt and got down to work.

I turned on my mother's old treadmill, pumped up the radio and started jogging. I gave myself a goal of 30 minutes straight. I've fired up that machine about once a month for years, but I have always wimped out after 8 or 10 minutes. It was hard there for a while. I didn't think I would make it. I was huffing and puffing like only a large woman can . . . but I was doing it! When I reached 30 minutes, I turned the machine down to 1 mph and walked until my heart rate approached normal. I walked over to the mirror.

I was beet red and covered in sweat. I looked awful, but I felt great! I have some strength training planned for just before dinner. I can't let this feeling go. So, that brings me to a question: Can anyone point me to a good thread that keeps track of daily exercise? This may just be the enthusiasm associated with the beginning of any diet, but I'm hoping it's something more than that. No, I'm going to make it something more than that.
WinterWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 08:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Good for you! Exercise can really make a big difference in how your day goes and how you feel about yourself! You can try the exercise board above- or maybe we can make a little challenge. If anyone wants to, let me know.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 09:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

WinterWonder -- If it helps, I had the same experience you did when I first found this forum. I spent HOURS reading posts, getting all psyched up about a new lifestyle, and then realized that the DOING was probably more important than the READING. Good for you for getting moving. Small steps, right? And YES, you CAN make it more than just a passing enthusiasm -- look how many people have!!

And thanks for the image of the flan in the cupboard -- very nice!

As for exercise threads -- Dana did mention a forum for exercise on 3fc (you should find it with a bit of poking), but you may also find exercise threads (and daily exercise threads in some of the sub-forums)... find one you like!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 09:39 PM   #4  
Obsessive Poster

Thank you both for your input. I did a little poking around, and I've found some threads that look like they might be promising.

Dana, I would definitely be interested in an exercise challenge. I don't know how I would go about getting one going. So far, I like this board and the 20-something one best. So, I would really like it if the challenge was in one of the two.

Wyllenn, I am still really enjoying reading all of the posts. I think I'll probably find my bottom attached to this chair a few more times before I really settle in to work. Small steps, like you said.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:16 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

That is great. WTG. We usually will have a weekly exercise thread on here.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 02:04 PM   #6  

Yeah, this place is a bit addictive, isn't it? Good for you for getting up and getting moving!! Exercise is such necessary part of a healthy lifestyle, IMO, so the sooner you form the habit of regular exercise, the better off you'll be. Plus, the feeling you get afterward is just amazing, isn't it?! And it's the best stress buster I've ever found! Keep up the good work, you're doing great!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 02:08 AM   #7  
Obsessive Poster

Dawnyal - Can you point me to the weekly exercise thread? I looked, but I must have missed it. I already slacked off today, but I bought new sneakers and dumbbells to encourage myself to get back on track.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:23 AM   #8  
Laura

Good for you on getting moving! New tennis shoes are the BEST aren't they?! You deserved that reward for your great start! Keep up the great work!
alphabetsoup is offline   Reply With Quote