Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 10-09-2005, 09:45 AM   #1  
A Slightly Cracked Egg

S/C/G: 211.4/211.4/130

Height: 5'4"

Question Measurements

I have a question -- I'd like to take some starting measurements so I can monitor inches as well as weight, but I'm not sure exactly where you take them from. For example, when you're measuring your chest, do you measure across the widest area (which includes the breasts), or do you go under your breasts on your ribcage? Same thing on hips and thighs -- widest area, or around the middle?

I come up with some goofy questions.

From what I'm seeing others do, I'm guessing the following is what I'd like to measure:

Chest
Waist
Hips
Each Thigh
Each Calf
Each Arm
FL_Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 10:39 AM   #2  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Take the widest part of each bit! Then you can compare the widest part with the next measure easier! I also measure under bust as well as widest part, just cos my bra size is ALWAYS changing!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 12:16 PM   #3  
Mel

For chest you usually take a measurement under your armpits and then another measurement under your breasts, around your rib cage.

For thighs, measure at the widest, but make sure that you measure how far above the top of your knee cap that you are taking that measurement so that you are consistent each time you take your measurements.

Same for hips- measure how far below your belly button you are going to measure so that you are consistent.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 02:20 PM   #4  
A Slightly Cracked Egg

Thanks, one of the girls at work just talked to me about a class they have called BodyPump which is essentially an hour of free-weight lifting to music, covering all major body areas in that time. They have it about every other day/night (6:30pm on Tue and Thur,5:30pm on Fri, 9:30am on Sat and 10am on Sun) so if I really like it I can look forward to it about every other day. Being able to see myself getting stronger / slimmer would be very cool.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:48 PM   #5  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I think Body Pump's good to get you started lifting weights, but when you know a thing or two about form and not going so fast... well let's just say I can't get on with the instructor any more!

Go and try it out!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 06:05 PM   #6  
A Slightly Cracked Egg

Ooh, sounds like you have some experience with the class! Is it any good?
Old 10-09-2005, 08:00 PM   #7  
Mel

If you have a good instructor, Body Pump is a great way to get started on a fitness program. It's not geared towards heavy weightlifting, but uses fairly light weights and lots of repetitions of different exercises. You keep moving. If you are new to it, go a few minutes early and introduce yourself to the instructor. She'll advise you on what weights to start with and help you with your form.

Most Body Pump classes are taught to upbeat music, then end with a stretching, cool down, "quieter" few minutes.

Body Pump is not heavy weight training, and it's not really cardio. But it's a good place to start, especially if you enjoy classes.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 01:20 AM   #8  

I have taken BP twice a week for the past 3 months and really enjoy it. The class is choriographed but a new program is released every 12 weeks that changes the moves, and music. When I first began, some moves I did with no weight at all. I figured my caboose was enough weight to lift by its self :lol The bar is approximately 3lbs (if I remember correctly), and the plates come in 1kg, 2 1/2 kg, 5kg, 10kg, ect. And you can stack 3 plates on each side of the bar. So IMO there is plenty of room to grow within the program. Hope that helps, and you have the opportunity to attend a class.

ETA: I know it's not considered cardio, but (depending on your weight of course) it really can get your heart rate up. I wear a HRM to track my calories (I'm on WW) and I normally burn 300 calories with an average HR in the 130s. Not a WHOLE lot, but I'll take em where I can get em

Last edited by irishtwinmom; 10-10-2005 at 01:27 AM.
irishtwinmom is offline   Reply With Quote