Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-08-2005, 05:32 PM   #1  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

Default a REALISTIC sense of how long it takes to lose

Hi everyone

Sometimes I get sorta sad when I read posts by people who are very discouraged by the pace of their weight loss. So I've been trying to come up with some way for people who are just starting out to get a realistic sense of the amount of time involved. I don't want to depress all the new folks out there -- I just want them to see that it CAN be done, but they need to have a true sense of how long it takes.

So, here's my thought. Could those of you who have lost say 20 lbs or more post the amount lost and how long it took you? If you lost during 2 or more "stages" (like I did), add that, too. If you're a maintainer, could you tell us how much you've kept off and for how long, too?

People lose at different rates, obviously, so we'll probably have wildly different "paces" to report, but I thought a compilation of our info might be helpful to someone (or many someones). I hate seeing people discouraged by losing "only" half a lb a week or whatever (which, by the way, is how much I usually lose -- and I'm happy as a clam!)

Okay, here's my info:

First 25 lbs ----> 1 full year

~~Maintained for 18 months~~

Most recent 19 lbs -----> 8 months

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by LovesBassets; 10-08-2005 at 05:35 PM. Reason: adding smiley
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 05:51 PM   #2  
wannaBaloser

Loves Bassets,
What a kind thought. I have seen the discouragement in many threads, I have felt it myself. After a lifetime of struggling with my weight my doctor has said Now you MUST lose and keep it off.

So my currant effort is a loss of 19.5 lbs in 8 months and is a part of first milestone goal of 22 more by 12/30/05
Then I will set a second milestone goal .

wannaBa loser
wannaBaloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 06:52 PM   #3  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Good thread idea!

My initial weight loss was over a one year span (12/02- 12/03), I lost 100 lbs.
The weight initially came off pretty fast (IMO), about 2-3 lbs a week. When I got closer to goal it slowed down.

Then I attempted to maintain over the next couple years and ended up gaining back 15 lbs. I am currently in the process of trying to lose 26 more pounds...it's going slower this time but at least I haven't gained again.

My main methods were calorie counting (journaling was key) 1200-1400 calories a day and walking daily. Recently I joined a gym, I am still a beginner at weight training and like the ellyptical for cardio. I still walk daily as well - the dog won't let me get out of it
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 06:59 PM   #4  
Mel

Great idea, Kate.

My first 45 pounds took about 4 months to remove by strictly following SugarBusters, no snacks at all, no cheating, daily cardio and weighlifting.

I maintained there for about 3 years.

It took me about 6 months to lose 20 pounds starting about a year ago, and I've put back about 3 of those pounds. I liked the way I looked and felt, but maintenance at that level is really hard for me. I'm trying to get back there but I don't know how feasible it is as a longterm goal.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 07:22 PM   #5  

I've lost 52.5 pounds as of this writing. It's taken me 8 months, almost exactly, to do so.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 10-09-2005 at 01:39 AM.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 07:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 328/?/140

Height: 5'3"

great thread idea!!!!!!!!

Took me about two years to get me were I am my son has been in and out of hospital and i felt like i was in that bed myself it has been **** but I know I can get to my goal weight if i put my self first for once
NOW THAT MY BABY IS DOING GREAT SENCE LAST SURGERY ONE MONTH AGO HE IS UP TWO POUNDS THANK GOD

Need all the support i can get and I am finding it here
chubbystress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 07:43 PM   #7  

The first 3 months, I lost 4#'s. The 2nd 3 months, I lost 18#'s. In the last 2.5 months, I've lost 5#'s. During that 2nd "trimester" I didn't cheat at all (1200-1400 cal/day) & was at the gym at least 1.5hrs/day, 5x/wk hitting the weights and the cardio really hard. I expect to take another 3-4 mo to lose the remaining 5-6#'s (but I'm not sure that's really going to be maintainable).
JuliaTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 08:10 PM   #8  

October 23, 1999 I started Weight Watchers for the third time. The two times previous I tried and gave up shortly and gained and gained, so this third time, I had a reason to stick with it, I was worried about my health. My brother was diagnosed with sugar diabetes, I was tested for it and was told I didnt have it but had low blood sugar which can develop into sugar diabetes. So I started this weight loss journey the third time with a commitment to stay with it as long as it took. I weighed when I started I weighed 283 pounds. I am on Maintenance now, starting my 6th week. Then I will be a lifetime member. I weighed in today at 153.4 pounds. A loss of 130 pounds. I would like to get to 150 pounds weight but I am happy where I am, I just want to be healthy and the doctor said now I dont have low blood sugar or sugar diabetes, I am now normal, so I have to continue with Weight watchers for the support and continue with 3fatchicks.com for the support and tips here also. I am a very slow loser but I think it will stay off this time, I have been around this range for weeks now so feel this will be my range. I am 5'9" also. And I would love to be anybodys buddy if they have yahoo messenger, they can feel free to add me. My signature name on yahoo messenger is cowgirl73160.
aprildawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 09:47 PM   #9  

My highest weight was 214 but I lost down to 191 without any tracking so I don't know how long it took to shed those 23 pounds.

After a decent break last year I jumped back on the wagon at 191 pounds the day after Christmas. I lost 11.2 pounds in January, 6 pounds in February, 8.8 pounds in March, 4 pounds in April, 6 pounds in May, 1.4 pounds in June, 7.8 pounds in July, 1.2 pounds in August, 3.2 in September, and 2.2 so far in October.

So, just over a little over 50 pounds in 9 1/2 months.

More, impressive (to me anyway!) is that I've lost about 40 inches - or 3 FEET - since my highest weight. And that's measuring only one side of my body for arms, thighs, and calves so it is actually a little more than that. Now, I'm only 5 foot 2 inches so my width has decreased by a little more than half my height. I was actually almost as big around as I was tall! Not bad for less than a year if I do say so myself!

I count calories, exercise regularly (I have spurts where I go to the gym religiously and then I'll slow down to a few times a week, then another spurt, then I'll completely slack off and have to FORCE myself to go, then another spurt...) and I'm active in general - lots of running around, housework, playing with the kids, etc. As cliche as it sounds I know that the reason I've lost as much as I have and know that I will maintain it is because I haven't been concerned with how long it would take. In the past lack of patience was probably my greatest downfall.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 09:53 PM   #10  
banned

yep about 4-8 lbs a month
andreaphilip3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 10:04 PM   #11  

I've lost 172 pounds in just over 4 years. The first year I lost about 90, and it's gradually slowed since then. Part of the reason for the not-speedy loss is that I have PCOS and incipient thyroid issues, part of it is that I've had periods where I didn't really say I was on a break, but just relaxed the reins a bit. I go through times of diligence and not-so-diligence, but I never say black/white things like "I cheated" or "I'm off my diet" or "I'm being really good" or whatever. I see it as one big continuum, from the day I started my program to the day I die. So, whether the weight came off in a year or ten is less important to me that keeping my eating at a reasonable level and having an overall healthy, moderated lifestyle. That attitude has been a lifesaver, and what has enabled me to see this through. If I had started it as a diet, as I always had, with timetables and deadlines and scale-obsession, I would have given up long ago, as I had always done my whole life. Finally realizing that the weight loss is a by-product of learning how to live a healthy life and manage my compulsive eating has been the key to my success.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 11:11 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Great thread! I started this journey about 12 weeks ago, starting at nearly 300 pounds! I've lost 31 pounds in that time. The weight loss has been pretty rapid so far (at least from what I was expecting), but I had a lot to lose. I expect it will likely slow, but that's fine. I'm just thrilled to be fitting into some of my nicer clothes from 3 years ago, when I was last at this weight. I had no nice clothes 30 pounds ago!

Last edited by Heather; 10-09-2005 at 09:10 AM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 11:42 PM   #13  
Pound by Pound

What a neat little thread!

As of today I'm down 40 lbs ... the first 15 I really didn't monitor too well, so I'm not exactly sure how long it took me to lose it - however, I do know that in February 'it' (the 15lbs) was there - I really started keeping a journal and tracking my loss on August 6th 2005 ... from that day until now (9 weeks) I've lost 25 lbs, which is an average of 2.7 lbs a week. I've done it the old fashion way ... I'm eating less of the bad stuff and exercising ... who would have thought it would actually work!

This journey has been so different than ALL others I've been on - I have PCOS & Insulin Resistance - which means that I'm borderline type 2 Diabetic - maybe finally realizing that I'm NOT getting any younger and understanding where the road that I was on was leading me made a difference - who knows ... but whatever the reason, I'm so glad that it has finally sunk into this ol' noggin of mine!

Congrats to everyone and I wish you continued success!
** Stacye ** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 07:24 AM   #14  

How thoughtful Kate, I remember being sooooo frustrated with how long it all seemed to take, but looking back, it really wasn't that bad. What a great way to put it all in perspective!

It took me approximately 14 months to lose the first 170 lbs. and get to my original goal weight of 150 lbs. This averages out to about 3 lbs. a week, but of course, some weeks were more and some were less. Then I gradually took off another 20 lbs. or so in the year that followed getting to goal. And now I've been maintaining at my present weight (130+/- lbs.) for about a year as well. This month marks my two year anniversary of reaching my original goal and starting maintenance!!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 08:16 AM   #15  
SuperFreak

S/C/G: 330/319/150

Height: 5"5

I believe it was a year for me to lose the 81 pounds I have so far. Im in a lock down pace right now. Not losing and not gaining. But I know why and its all me. I have not got myself to the gym.
I was working out 5 to 6 days a week and have dwindled down to none.
I have another 80 or so pounds to go to get to my goal weight.
Once I get my mind cleared up and get back in the gym I could be back on track. Right now its all in my head but im not gaining and thats a huge sign of good for me. So depending on alot of diffrent things and how well your sticking with it it can be done. And as soon as it clicks for you theres no turning back. It hit me like a ton of bricks no more diets, Change of lifestyle. Eat less move more, Eat less move more. And thats it in a nutshell.
MorticiaAddams is offline   Reply With Quote