Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-07-2005, 04:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 257/164/140

Height: 5' 6

Default Why am I no longer getting results?

I have not lost any weight for almost two months now! I took my measurments in late July and again in late September and no change. I don't understand! I have been working my butt off and I have lost weight, just nothing at all lately. What is going on???
silversparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 04:45 PM   #2  
Mel

What are you eating? How are you exercising? How old are you? Any other health changes?

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 04:54 PM   #3  

I eat either a Special K Bar or Special K cereal with low fat milk in the morning. A couple of hours later I have a Dole fruit cup or banana, some sort of fruit. Lunch is a Smart Ones followed by a Yoplait Light. I drink water all day long. Dinner is usually green beans, or some other veggie. Grilled chicken or pork chop and some other side item. I work out 4-5 days a week. This includes 30 minutes of cardio and 20-25 minutes of weight machines. I am a 27 year old female and I have not had any health changes. I am pretty much doing the same thing and eating the same things when I first started losing the weight. Now I'm not getting any results.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:23 PM   #4  
prepare for the BEST time

try to change both the food and exercise....

maybe eggs or a veggie omelette in the morning, (sounds like you need more protein), yogurt & fruit for a snack. Soup/salad for lunch (low fat dressing).

do different cardio? sometimes do less for a short time?
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 05:41 PM   #5  
Determined

I agree with Marbleflys, change up your routine. Two months is a long time though, good for you for sticking it out. Add more protein and "whole foods" versus the convenience foods and change up/intensify your routine and see what happens. Your body has probably just adapted to your plan.
happydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 06:05 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Your food plan seems to be very processed with not enough fibrous vegetables and unprocessed foods. Special K is ok, but just OK, it is extremely processed, instead try oatmeal with an eggwhite omellete and veggies... Add some protein to every meal/snack, like that fruit in the morning have a LF cheese with that... Have LARGE salads. The more fiber you have the fuller you will feel, the longer your body will take to process it and will burn some calories just processing the food.

INTENSIFY your cardio, do hills, jog intermitently... Lift HEAVIER weights, don't be shy we can NOT bulk up that's a myth... Just shake things up and do things differently...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 06:22 PM   #7  
Pound by Pound

Height: 5'4"

Thanks so much for asking this Q SilverSparkle and especially thanks to everyone for their responses ... mixing things up (food wise) is something I have to be reminded of too!

Have a great weekend!
** Stacye ** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 07:16 PM   #8  
banned

yea can you get away from the smart ones? the bars may to be blame too...
andreaphilip3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 08:00 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 270/235/TBD

Height: 5'4

It is possible you are not eating enough. Maybe you should increase your food intake a bit and see what happens.
ElisabethCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 09:12 PM   #10  

I agree with everyone else...change it up! Try better food, oatmeal is quick in the morning like special K would be. If you’re really in a time crunch why not boil some eggs before hand and have them to eat on your way. (If I eat them, I cut them into little pieces and swallow like a pill….eggs gross me out!) More real foods, Special K and smart ones are good in a time crunch and maybe to get you started on your weight loss but your have to get back to real foods. Think outer-isles (fruits, veggies, lean meats) of the grocery store and no food with ingredients you can't pronounce. Also change up your work outs. Maybe work with free weights instead of the machines and try different types of cardio. Goodluck!
Chubby Barbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 09:52 AM   #11  

Wow! Thanks for all the great tips. I am trying so hard not to give up. I don't know about the egg or oatmeal thing! Not a big fan of either of those. I will try and increase my fruits and veggies. I'm sort of on a budget and those can start to get expensive after a while. I have thought about changing up my routine at the gym. I guess I have just been scared too! I work at a University where I get to use the fitness center for free. I took me a very long time to get the nerve to start going. Being around younger fit and athletic people made me nervous. I was afraid I would get weird looks for being there or something. But I am over it now! I usually do the elliptical machine every day because I feel like I get the best workout from it. Guess I can start doing the bike or walking on the treadmill. Any suggestions? How often should I switch my routine around? Can someone give me an example? I have a bad ankle with screws and plates in it, so I can't can't really run. Thanks again for all the advice. I will try it!
Old 10-10-2005, 10:03 AM   #12  
prepare for the BEST time

If you have a bad ankle, the bike and elliptical are probably better than the treadmill. You might want to just add 5-10 mins. of treadmill at an incline to see how it feels.

I'm always on a budget too....but you can get 3 lbs. of apples for $3.99 in season around here and one Smart Ones is at least $2.50. As for soups, I but low-sodium (healthy choice) and add extra veggies to chicken broth too. Sometimes I boil the broth and add an egg to make egg-drop soup for extra protein.
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 12:20 PM   #13  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I agree that those Smart Ones (or Lean Cuisines or whatever brand frozen meals) are pretty pricey. I mean, you could buy a box of instant brown rice, a package of raw chicken, and some frozen (or canned) veggies for the cost of maybe 3 of those meals, and it would be enough food to make lunch for yourself for 2 weeks if you stick to the same posrtion sizes as in those meals (I mean please, they hardly give you ANY meat in there )!

Another budget tip--buy frozen fruits and veggies! That way, if you don't have to throw out the ones that go bad before you use them because they don't go bad! I have a freezer full of frozen strawberries and peaches (also good because they are the same price whether they are in season or not) and frozen corn, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, spinach...now if only I could get myself to eat all those veggies--buying them is only half the battle

Oh, and same with bread. I keep mine in the freezer because I always ended up having some moldy pieces at the end of the loaf before I got through it all! So I keep it in the freezer and just grab pieces as needed and toss in the toaster oven or on defrost in the microwave when I need them

As for breakfast, I agree that Special K is really nothing but refined carbs, which probably doesn't keep you feeling full for very long. If you don't like oatmeal or eggs, maybe some whole-grain toast with natural peanut butter? Or how about at least trying something like Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal? It has a lot more protein and fiber than that flaky stuff Also, maybe add some fruit to your cereal (frozen berries are great for this!)?
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 02:05 PM   #14  

I guess I don't really think of the Smart Ones being that expensive since I am getting a meal out of it. Unlike fruit that is just a snack. The Smart Ones are fast and more convenient for me than trying to prepare something. Plus I know the serving size and calories are accurate. What is Kashi Go Lean and where can I get it at? Sometimes I have a bowl of Cherrios with fresh strawberries. I do freeze bread, but I don't really eat a lot of it. I haven't even bought bread in probably a good month. But I might try the peanut butter toast! Thanks for the tips!
Old 10-10-2005, 02:46 PM   #15  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I'm with silversparkle on the cost of Smart Ones...(actually I switch around between Smart Ones, Lean Cuisine & Healthy Choice...whichever is on sale) They usually run about $2-$2.50 a piece on sale..coupons are pretty easy to come by as well. For me, the convenience is worth it. What can I say I'm lazy....at least for one meal a day.

Silversparlke are you keeping track of your calorie count by measuring what you eat? Have you tried Fitday? It's pretty handy for tracking what you are eating as well as exercise. IMO - the calories burned report is a load of hooey - if I was burning as many calories as it says I should be a waif by now... By logging you will be able to see trouble spots in your eating patterns as well. (doing something about these troublespots is harder - I am a perfect example ) Soldier on...
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote