Old 10-07-2005, 04:37 PM   #1  

Thumbs up I am new to this forum and i need to lose a lot of weight

Hi everyone, my name is Elie and I just found this website today. I am on multiple websites in regards to weight loss as I have just started the Jenny Craig diet. I have to lose 120 lbs to get to my goal weight of 150. I am currently 271.3 and miserable.

I am in a few other support groups but one can never have enough support I am just so miserable being like this and my family and friends are tired of me talking about trying to lose weight. They don't understand i need to do this. Two years ago when i was pregnant with my son I quit smoking cold turkey and even though i lost my son at 22 weeks i never went back to smoking at all, i smoked three packs of cigarettes a day until i got pregnant with poor Conner. After i lost him I had no interest in smoking at all but i did notice i have packed on the weight but after I lost my son Conner i got pregnant again with Charlene and gave birth to a healthy baby girl 12 months after the loss of my son at that point i was 240 lbs and i lost about 30 lbs from that pregnancy bringing me to 210, then all of a sudden i gained so much weight bringing myself to 271.3, i nearly cried. I knew i was bad because i have aches and pains and can't walk for long periods of time.

To this day i still refuse to smoke. One friend of mine said "go back to smoking and maybe you will stop gaining and start losing". I refuse to do that, i prefer to diet and get support from people in the same situation as me.
Eliegirl2PMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 04:49 PM   #2  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Welcome Elie

It is super ~ your resolve to not start smoking again. I think if you can do that, you can be successful at this weight loss thing. You have come to a great place here ~ the people are supportive and understanding, just wonderful.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 05:00 PM   #3  

Hi Elie, welcome to the group! If you're looking for support, you've come to the right place, this group is awesome! I wanted to tell you I'm so sorry for your loss, but congratulations on quitting smoking, I'm sure it's one of the best decisions you'll ever make. Please feel free to jump right in here, and make yourself at home.

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 05:02 PM   #4  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

I'll second what everyone else already said, and welcome to the forum.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 05:09 PM   #5  

Gayle, Beverly and Matt,

Thanks for the welcome and I am very glad I have found this website through a friend. I know i will get the support I need and Beverly thanks for the condolensces (not sure if that is how it is spelled). We are still struggling. It is going on 2 years since i lost my son and that could be a contributing factor to my weight problems. Granted this didn't start until after Charlene was born (she is the light of my life), but i think the fact that i look at her and then think about how poor Conner never had a chance, i think that has a lot to do with it. I do know i have a bit of depression that contributed to this.

Anyway, I am going to get out of this depression and lose this weight and become healthy. I quit smoking to become healthy as well as making sure i didn't smoke during pregnancy, so now i have to lose the weight to be healthy.

I look forward to messaging and getting support here. I feel very comfortable already
Old 10-07-2005, 06:35 PM   #6  

Hi Elie,

I'm new to the forums, too, and I can totally relate to the smoking. At the urging of my husband and kids I finally quit last year. Unfortunately I have gained about 30 pounds (that I surely didn't need) since. So we have a similar struggle ahead of us.

I, too, am very sorry for your loss of your son. If you haven't been already, getting out and walking or doing other physical activities will really go a long way to help with any depression.

The folks I have encountered here are very supportive and friendly, I'm sure you'll be glad you dropped in!
amylizmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 07:08 PM   #7  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Welcome Elie,

You're right about never having too much support. You've found the BEST place on the internet for that!

I'm also very proud of you for not starting smoking again..I am still fighting that battle to this day. I don't think that if you started again that the weight would come off any easier. (Jilly, your two cents here would be valuable!)

I'm so deeply sorry about the loss of you son, I have lost two in the past (though much earlier that 22 wks.) I know how much it rips your heart out...but now you have beautiful little Charlene and possibly more in the future..and each day, watching the life and growth in her/them, it will become a little easier as time passes.

Welcome to the 100 pound club...make yourself at home
xoxo
Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 09:01 PM   #8  

Welcome. O my is that bad advice to start smoking again to lose weight. But then you obviously know that. Good for you for not caving!
irishgreengables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 09:19 PM   #9  

Thanks everyone, i am so happy to be doing something about my problem and my son's anniversary date of his birth is coming up at the end of the month. For some reason I don't call it a birthday, i just call it the anniversary of his date of birth, seems kind of weird to me, he never took a breath so I am VERY VERY VERY glad to have started something by starting Jenny Craig (it is an investment for me which means i will not back off, if i don't have an investment in it, it is so much easier to give up on.. but after paying so much money, i won't be giving up).

My depression could get a bit more intense at the end of the month, so i am going to need all the help i can get. I can thank my little Conner for me quitting smoking. I was about three months pregnant and one day i took a puff and then i got sick as a dog, it tasted disgusting and from that day on (June 25, 2003) I have not picked up a cigarette, even when his pregnancy ended and that was very stressful, i was in labor for 2 full days for an 11.4 oz baby.

Now all i have to do is get rid of my bad eating habits LOL. I went from smoking to overeating, sighhhhhh!

Ok i have to get up real early in the morning to get to work. Take care everyone.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:01 AM   #10  

hi ellie!

Welcome to the group there is lots of great support here and you can do anything you put your mind to! Why don't you come say hi to the non smoking forum I belong to? Its www.the quitsmoking forum.com, its a amall forum but there is great support there too. I think it is a positive step for you to come here in the the first place! Good luck!
Dani
tuckytex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 06:48 AM   #11  
Tenacious

Welcome to the forum, Ellie! Congratulations on quitting smoking!
DeterminedInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 09:09 AM   #12  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Good to have you here Ellie. Life can be hard on us, but some how we keep on going. I'm so sorry for all you have had to go though but I know you can do this for yourself. Sound like you have a good start and getting all the support you can is only going to help you more. I look forward to seeing you around.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 09:47 AM   #13  

Hi everyone,

You know normally i don't want to get in front of a camera LOL but in this website i have this sudden urge to add my picture now to the rest of yours so i can send in an after pic. I normally freak seeing a camera or a cell phone camera and run the other way but i will see what i can do to add myself to the profiles with pic.

I am going to try that quit smoking forum and it feels great to not smoke. When i cough i no longer have little accidents. That was the worst part about smoking, i always went through underwear and pants left and right oh and the shortness of breath too. I do feel healthier lung wise but well now i have to deal with this weight issue
Old 10-08-2005, 11:59 AM   #14  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

I love seeing the pics myself. It's nice to put a face with the words. It makes the site so much more I think.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 04:47 PM   #15  
2006 - Panda Remix

Hi Elie,

Warmest welcomes to the 100lb club - this is THE best support group if you have alot of weight to lose!

I just wanted to say that you have proved that you can be extremely strong and disciplined when you gave up smoking so you can draw on that same strength now as you want to lose weight. I gave up smoking 2 years ago and I got through it with discipline and determination that I didn't know I had! I am so proud of the fact that I gave up, as are you - your health will have benefited 100%. Now it is time to tackle your weight - and if you show half the strength you have done in the past, what with giving up smoking, and the devastating loss of your son - then you are bound to succeed.

Good luck!

Love Amanda x
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote