8 Oz Spelt or WW Elbow Pasta
1 TBS Trans-fat-free margarine
1 TBS WW Flour
1 1/4 cups FF half and half
1 Cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 TSP salt
1/8 TSP freshly ground black pepper

Heat oven to 400*F

Bring a saucepan of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta until al dente (tender but still firm to the bite), about 6 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water for 30 seconds.

While pasta is cooking, melt margarine in a wide, straight-sided skillet over a medium heat. Add flour, reduce heat to low, and whisk continuously until flour is incorporated and cooked, about 2 minutes. Add half-and-half, bring to a simmer, and cook, whisking frequently, until blended and thickened, 3 to 5 minutes.

Add cheese, salt and pepper; stir until blended. Add pasta and stir until coated and warmed, 1 minute. Transfer to an 8 by 8-inch baking dish and bake for 10 minutes. Serve hot.

Makes 4 (1 1/2 cup) servings.

Nutrition:
340 calories
11g fat
5g saturated fat
17g protein
50g carbohydrate
5g dietary fiber
280 mg sodium

Hello, comfort food!
fireflynova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 01:41 AM   #2  
kpw

Lowfat evaporated milk works well too instead of the f/f half and half (I avoid it cuz I can't find any varieties that don't have corn syrup solids as one of the tope ingredients - and 1 1/2 C is a lot for me...)

I always bulk up my mac and cheese with some barely steamed broccoli to get those extra veggies in.

Thanks for posting!
kpw is offline   Reply With Quote